HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New NHL Alignment Approved: TB & FLA come on up!

Old
12-05-2011, 09:08 PM
NoClue4u

vCash: 500
Quote:
Teams in the conferences of eight would play either five or six times per season on a rotating basis; three teams would play each other six times and four teams would play each other five times. This process would reverse each season.
from TSN. Did I miss something or is there a typo in there? I'm guessing they mean 4 and 4...

Also, the most important part, predictions on names for each Conference? My father always wanted the NHL to go back to naming the divisions after people, but I doubt they will. I imagine West/ Pacific and Mid-West/ Central will be fine, but what about the "Eastern" Conferences? Mid-Atlantic/ Atlantic seems ok, but ours is not really a geographic region...

NoClue4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:12 PM
sabrezombie

GP PTS
Boston 25 35
Florida 26 32
Toronto 27 32
Buffalo 26 29
Ottawa 26 27
Montréal 27 27
Tampa Bay 25 24

Standings as of today

sabrezombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Ghills23

We go from a 8-15 (53%) shot at making the post season to a 4-7(57%) shot. I like that. The playoffs will certainly be interesting. Old rivalries will stay the same and new ones will be born. I like that aspect of things.

Last edited by Ghills23: 12-05-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:13 PM
captaincrunch89

I'm sure Carolina fans are rejoicing right about now, seeing as they don't have to deal with us big bad Sabres fans as much.

captaincrunch89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClue4u View Post
from TSN. Did I miss something or is there a typo in there? I'm guessing they mean 4 and 4...

Also, the most important part, predictions on names for each Conference? My father always wanted the NHL to go back to naming the divisions after people, but I doubt they will. I imagine West/ Pacific and Mid-West/ Central will be fine, but what about the "Eastern" Conferences? Mid-Atlantic/ Atlantic seems ok, but ours is not really a geographic region...
Conference names (suggested): Gretzky, Yzerman, Lemieux, Orr. We'd be the Orr division. Pittsburgh in the Lemieux, LA and Edmonton in the Gretzky, Detroit in the Yzerman.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghills23 View Post
We go from a 1-15 shot at making the post season to a 1-7 shot. I like that. The playoffs will certainly be interesting. Old rivalries will stay the same and new ones will be born. I like that aspect of things.
Exactly. Imagine a cup finals vs Philly as opposed to San Jose?

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:15 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
I like the idea of playing division/conference rivals in the first two rounds, really puts pride at stake for the teams and fans. I'm a little concerned after that. I thought it this would just end up really being the East and West split into two divisions. Now that I see you can play anyone....should be interesting. Also I don't want to get flamed for this but do any of you think winning the Cup might feel a bit odd, or tarnished if we were to beat say SJ in the semis and then someone like the Rangers in the Finals? I don't know about you, but it just might not seem as legitimate. My guess though is just some getting used to.
If anything the new format would be a tougher road to the Cup.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Jame
Dream '16

im happy, 1 more game in tampa, rivalry playoff rounds, being in one of the 7 team conferences

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:17 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
We go from a 1-15 shot at making the post season to a 1-7 shot. I like that. The playoffs will certainly be interesting. Old rivalries will stay the same and new ones will be born. I like that aspect of things.
Actually, we go from a 53 % chance of making the playoffs to 57%.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:18 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZackKassian View Post
I'm not bitter, I'm just not excited.

You really think NYI and CAR have a chance in hell in a division of NYR, PHI, PIT, WSH, and NJ?
If the cap remains in place, yes they do.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Goose08

Quote:
Might wanna double check your math there. By that logic, we go from an 8/15 chance (53%) to a 4/7 chance (57%).

Goose08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:20 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I can't wait until PHX moves and this happens again next year.
Unless they move further West, any relocation should be very easy to accomodate with this set up.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:21 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Gord miller just said that league is still undecided if our conference would play phillys conference in semis or if 1-4 is reseeded.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Ghills23

Quote:
I'm not bitter, I'm just not excited.

You really think NYI and CAR have a chance in hell in a division of NYR, PHI, PIT, WSH, and NJ?
Carolina certainly does. It's not guaranteed NYR or NJD will have a better record then them.

Initially I like it. It will be weird to only play NJD,NYI,NYR, WSH, and Pitt only twice during the regular season. Then again it will be weird to play CGY, EDM, PHX, DAL, DET, NSH and every other current western team twice a year no matter what.

It's a bold move. A radical one at that. People won't like it intially because of that. People hate change. In the long run I think it will be good.

I can't wait for the playoffs, those will certainly be interesting.

I'm shocked at myself for actually liking this.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Ghills23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose08 View Post
Might wanna double check your math there. By that logic, we go from an 8/15 chance (53%) to a 4/7 chance (57%).
Yeah that's what I meant. I typed 1 instead of 4 and 8. It's been a long day.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:24 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanSince89 View Post
And when one of either Tampa or Miami folding their franchise and moves back to Quebec, they won't even have to leave the conference.
The Panthers lose money, but their owners use them as a loss leader for their developments around the arena (i.e. shops/restaurants/etc.), so overall it's a net plus for them. They're not going anywhere.

And Tampa has new ownership and a solid (if unspectacular) fan base. They're not going anywhere either.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Goose08

Quote:
Carolina certainly does. It's not guaranteed NYR or NJD will have a better record then them.

Initially I like it. It will be weird to only play NJD,NYI,NYR, WSH, and Pitt only twice during the regular season. Then again it will be weird to play CGY, EDM, PHX, DAL, DET, NSH and every other current western team twice a year no matter what.

It's a bold move. A radical one at that. People won't like it intially because of that. People hate change. In the long run I think it will be good.

I can't wait for the playoffs, those will certainly be interesting.

I'm shocked at myself for actually liking this.
The haters are gonna hate, for sure. I'm a little indifferent about the conference changes, but it def makes the playoffs real interesting.

Goose08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Stone87

Other thoughts:

This could kill our rivalry with the Flyers...

Based on points earned we would've made the playoffs every year since the lockout. Lindy has to be liking that...

Stone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:31 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Conference names (suggested): Gretzky, Yzerman, Lemieux, Orr. We'd be the Orr division. Pittsburgh in the Lemieux, LA and Edmonton in the Gretzky, Detroit in the Yzerman.
Howe.

Yzerman doesn't belong in the same discussion as those others.

The one thing I don't like is that the chances of making the playoffs is uneven--a team in the 8 team conference is inherently at a disadvantage. I like the AHL cross-over rule: each 8 team division gets one of the 7 team divisions as a "cross-over" partner, and if the 5th place team in the 8-team division has more points than the 4th place team in the corresponding 7 team division, the 5th place team takes the place of the 4th.

The problem however is then if the Pacific conference send a crossover, you could end up with a first round (and second round if they beat the top seed) matchup across 3 time zones (yes Detroit had to deal with that in the past...but I'm pretty sure they didn't like it).

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:38 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Monumentally retarded, just like every other major NHL decision that is ever made.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:40 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Monumentally retarded, just like every other major NHL decision that is ever made.
Feel free to enlighten us as to why.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:41 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Personally I hate this realignment. I had no problems with the way it was and would have preferred a direct one for one swap with Winnipeg for someone else (Nashville makes the most sense to me as they can hop right into the SE and not lose their rivalry factor). I hate that we only play the teams in the current Atlantic division twice, I hate that we can't play our big rivals in what is the Final Four round (the current conference finals), I hate that there are a different number of teams in each conference (although it worked out for us). The fact that different teams have a different percentage change to make the playoffs is ridiculous. It's been that way in the MLB for years and they realized how stupid it is and are switching it in 2013. It's a flawed design, plain and simple.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:42 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Howe.

Yzerman doesn't belong in the same discussion as those others.

The one thing I don't like is that the chances of making the playoffs is uneven--a team in the 8 team conference is inherently at a disadvantage. I like the AHL cross-over rule: each 8 team division gets one of the 7 team divisions as a "cross-over" partner, and if the 5th place team in the 8-team division has more points than the 4th place team in the corresponding 7 team division, the 5th place team takes the place of the 4th.

The problem however is then if the Pacific conference send a crossover, you could end up with a first round (and second round if they beat the top seed) matchup across 3 time zones (yes Detroit had to deal with that in the past...but I'm pretty sure they didn't like it).
I agree with everything you said.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:47 PM
joshjull

Posters need to realize there were several factors that went into this. More than one team wanted to get out of the West. The Eastern teams were guarding their cheap travel as much as they could. It actually took them giving a bit on travel costs for this to happen. Yes thats right the Eastern teams weren't worried about tradition or rivalries. They were worried about the bottom line. Its the same reason why Detroit, Nashville and Columbus all want out of the West. Its also why Dallas wanted out of the Pacific.

I think folks are tad naive if they think this could have been solved with a simple 1 for 1 swap.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
The Snowbird Conference?