HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New NHL Alignment Approved: TB & FLA come on up!

Old
12-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Ghills23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Monumentally retarded, just like every other major NHL decision that is ever made.
Well that's hyperbole if I've ever seen it. Step back from the ledge until you see what it's actually like.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:50 PM
goooal

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Conference names (suggested): Gretzky, Yzerman, Lemieux, Orr. We'd be the Orr division. Pittsburgh in the Lemieux, LA and Edmonton in the Gretzky, Detroit in the Yzerman.
They won't do this. As has been already pointed out, how do you think a Flyers fan would feel hanging a 'Lemieux Conference Champs' banner up?

They'll almost certainly name them geographically, as they should.

goooal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:53 PM
Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by goooal View Post
They won't do this. As has been already pointed out, how do you think a Flyers fan would feel hanging a 'Lemieux Conference Champs' banner up?

I'm voting for Adams, Norris, Smythe, And Patrick.

Rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:58 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by goooal View Post

Hmm, good point. I'd like to see conferences named for players I would recognize, though, you know? I've been a fan since 1999, a fairly avid one at that, and I wouldn't be able to tell you who Adam, Patrick or Norris were. I think most hockey fans, and certainly all casual fans, would feel the same way.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Afino
The Juice

Keeping geographical names would be the worst sin of all.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:01 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by two Tylers now View Post
I'm voting for Adams, Norris, Smythe, And Patrick.
Where in the world did you get those names from????

Pacific and Central are obvious geographical names.

Then Atlantic and Eastern? (lol, imagine putting up Eastern Conference Champions for basically winning the division).

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
Quote:
I wouldn't be able to tell you who Adam, Patrick or Norris were.
Luke, James, and Chuck.

Taro Tsujimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:06 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZackKassian View Post
I can't help but think this just reduced parity NHL-wide.
Exactly...There are going to be a lot more meaningless games toward the end of the season now...

Also I don't like the fact that we will only play philly twice a year....they should change that. still keep east-west for regular season scheduling...maybe we play some "west" teams once or maybe even not at all during the season...I want to see philly 4x a year.

Other than those two things I think I like it.

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:10 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
Exactly...There are going to be a lot more meaningless games toward the end of the season now...

Also I don't like the fact that we will only play philly twice a year....they should change that. still keep east-west for regular season scheduling...maybe we play some "west" teams once or maybe even not at all during the season...I want to see philly 4x a year.

Other than those two things I think I like it.
Exactly wrong.

Parity comes from the cap and a fairly even playing field with payrolls. It has nothing to do with the divisions or conferences.

Have you forgotten we had the exact same divisions and conferences pre-lockout with absolutely no parity?

Also how could you possibly know if games at the end of the year will be meaningless in this new format? All they have to do is schedule a bunch of the divisional games at the end of the year. That would make them very meaningful.

Last edited by joshjull: 12-05-2011 at 11:17 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:15 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Hmm, good point. I'd like to see conferences named for players I would recognize, though, you know? I've been a fan since 1999, a fairly avid one at that, and I wouldn't be able to tell you who Adam, Patrick or Norris were. I think most hockey fans, and certainly all casual fans, would feel the same way.
Rather than plead ignorance, do a little reading. You're a hockey fan right? You'll appreciate the reasons why those names would be used.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:18 PM
SoFFacet

Just wondering, how is this fair to the teams in the eight team conferences? Don't they have an intrinsically lower chance of making the playoffs due to having one additional team competing with them for the same number of spots?

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:23 PM
FoSotC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
Just wondering, how is this fair to the teams in the eight team conferences? Don't they have an intrinsically lower chance of making the playoffs due to having one additional team competing with them for the same number of spots?
I don't think it should (or is going to) happen any time soon, but it almost seems like this new format was made with an eventual 32-team league via expansion in mind.

I think it's interesting to note that our conference is lacking the obvious addition of Detroit or Columbus to fill an 8th spot, considering how badly both teams wanted over here. I get the impression that the NHL is preparing for a Phoenix -> Quebec City scenario.

FoSotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:25 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
It's not fair at all. It's a joke to be honest. The fact that teams have a different probability of making the playoffs just based on their conference is a joke. I don't see how this is even debatable. Crossovers aren't even possible without crossing time zones and from the sound of it it definitely won't happen in the first round of the playoffs anyways. I'm open to listen as to how this is better than the current format (and I don't mean for the Sabres specifically, the league as a whole); I see a flawed system.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:26 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

Add Quebec to our conference, and add Hartford to the other 7 team conference, and you have your 32 team league.....

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:28 PM
chadthestampede
The Humanoid Typhoon

Love how one of the stories on nhl.com is:

"On first glance, Crosby likes realignment plan"

chadthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Monumentally retarded, just like every other major NHL decision that is ever made.
why?

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Prospector74

VaporTrail: that is what I was thinking. Add Quebec to us and we're good. Whether that is the Coyotes folding an making us 8 and them 7 or Nordiques coming through expansion. Hopefully they bring that old rock anthem/siren goal horn back too.

Prospector74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:31 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedus View Post
I don't think it should (or is going to) happen any time soon, but it almost seems like this new format was made with an eventual 32-team league via expansion in mind.

I think it's interesting to note that our conference is lacking the obvious addition of Detroit or Columbus to fill an 8th spot, considering how badly both teams wanted over here. I get the impression that the NHL is preparing for a Phoenix -> Quebec City scenario.
Partly that, but also politics. Detroit is a major draw, those other teams don't want to lose Detroit (especially Chicago). And moving Columbus ahead of Detroit would be a slap in the face, especially if you believe Detroit's owner that he was promised dibs on coming to the East if a spot opened up.

But 32 teams...I don't think that's happening any time soon. Leaving a spot for Quebec makes sense in case Phoenix does end up moving, but I just don't see expansion on the table. Especially with the current state of the economy, can't see too many cities ponying up for new arenas.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
Add Quebec to our conference, and add Hartford to the other 7 team conference, and you have your 32 team league.....
Yeah that was my thought on the two expansion teams.

Ok, here is a concept or question I just don't quite get. If they do expand to 32 what happens to the schedule? For that matter how are they going to do the schedule with only 30 teams? None of that really makes sense to me.

Fly Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:33 PM
FoSotC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
But 32 teams...I don't think that's happening any time soon. Leaving a spot for Quebec makes sense in case Phoenix does end up moving, but I just don't see expansion on the table. Especially with the current state of the economy, can't see too many cities ponying up for new arenas.
Yeah, I agree.

FoSotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:34 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
It's not at all fair. I'm glad the Sabres have a 57% chance of making the playoffs. I'm selfish like that. But if they were in a conference with a 50% chance, I'd be pissed. I know the teams out west really wanted realignment, but I'm surprised they voted for it at the possible expense of playoff revenue.

I like how it worked out for the Sabres, but objectively speaking, it's really awful. A third grader could see that 30's not evenly divisible by 4.

I think expansion is inevitable.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:34 PM
Stone87

Quote:
I guess they decided that the potential loss of that playoff revenue was outweighed by lower travel costs and higher television ratings due to playing more games against rivals in the same time zone.

Stone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:36 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
why?
There's no reason we should be in a conference with FLA and TB, it makes no sense at all.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
There's no reason we should be in a conference with FLA and TB, it makes no sense at all.
Derek Roy likes the sun and says rum tastes better by a beach. There's your reason.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:39 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Also, only playing teams like the Pens and Flyers and Hurricanes twice a year is horrible.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote