HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

New NHL Alignment Approved: TB & FLA come on up!

Old
12-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
There's no reason we should be in a conference with FLA and TB, it makes no sense at all.
why? the current stucture of 6 divisions have similar geographical allignments...

Tampa to Buffalo 1239 miles
Dallas to San Jose 1689 miles

the re-allignment makes plenty of sense if you look at as a league, and not as an individual team.

Everyone had to make some concessions to find a fair middle ground for every franchise

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Kruschiki

People are underestimating TB. I would have taken the Isles and Rangers over TB and FL. TB has Steve Yzerman building that team now and a very good coach in Guy Boucher.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
People are underestimating TB. I would have taken the Isles and Rangers over TB and FL. TB has Steve Yzerman building that team now and a very good coach in Guy Boucher.
Do you live in tampa area?

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
Yeah that was my thought on the two expansion teams.

Ok, here is a concept or question I just don't quite get. If they do expand to 32 what happens to the schedule? For that matter how are they going to do the schedule with only 30 teams? None of that really makes sense to me.
Well I kind of found the answer to my question:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382065
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSN
The realignment is aimed at evening out the travel schedules for all NHL teams with each team playing teams outside their conference twice per year, once at home and on the road.

In the seven-team Conferences, teams would play each other six times - three home, three away. In the eight-team Conferences, a bit more manoeuvering would be required.

Teams in the conferences of eight would play either five or six times per season on a rotating basis; three teams would play each other six times and four teams would play each other five times. This process would reverse each season.
A rotating schedule of 5 to 6 games each year? Seems sketchy, or at least a very uneven idea. Still what if they expand, wouldn't they have to increase the number of games played in a season?

Fly Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:47 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

You look around the league at the rivalries and the geography that this move helped preserve and alleviate, and it's like the league is saying "here, Detroit, here Dallas, here Winnipeg, here's what we can do for you, and Tampa and Florida....um...nobody wants to play with you."

haseoke39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:49 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
why? the current stucture of 6 divisions have similar geographical allignments...

Tampa to Buffalo 1239 miles
Dallas to San Jose 1689 miles

the re-allignment makes plenty of sense if you look at as a league, and not as an individual team.

Everyone had to make some concessions to find a fair middle ground for every franchise
Yep.

Also lets be honest. There isn't huge difference between 50% and 57%. That being the percentage of teams that make it from each of the new conferences. How good the teams are in the conference will have a bigger impact on playoff chances than the amount of teams.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:54 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Yep.

Also lets be honest. There isn't huge difference between 50% and 57%. That being the percentage of teams that make it from each of the new conferences. How good the teams are in the conference will have a bigger impact on playoff chances than the amount of teams.
That said, the 8 team conferences are functionally all Western Conference teams which have been out-winning the East for a decade. They're closer so far this year, but that factor just tends to cut against them yet again.

Old
12-05-2011, 10:56 PM
BCsabre

do you remember the last time we played playoff hockey within the division in the first two rounds? 1982 to 1993. Buffalo was bloody awful, won one series in 1983 then nothing until one series in 1993. We were forever losing to Montreal, Boston and Quebec. Two series wins in 12 years.

BCsabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:59 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Yep.

But there is still a difference and there shouldn't be. I'd be more accepting of it (but still wouldn't like it) if there was a crossover like in the AHL but it sounds like that's not going to happen.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

I think this kind of move is going to be more stable, too, since it focuses more on geography and keeping teams within a time zone. If you moved one team or had another expansion, you'd probably be able to move teams around a little more easily, especially West-to-east.

Old
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
That said, the 8 team conferences are functionally all Western Conference teams which have been out-winning the East for a decade. They're closer so far this year, but that factor just tends to cut against them yet again.
Based on the current standings, we would be in one hell of a dog fight with 6 teams to make the playoffs. It could turn into 7 if Tampa gets it going.

Last edited by joshjull: 12-05-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old
12-05-2011, 11:04 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
But there is still a difference and there shouldn't be. I'd be more accepting of it (but still wouldn't like it) if there was a crossover like in the AHL but it sounds like that's not going to happen.
The crossover gives you a false evening out.

The only way that you could have a truely even set up is a 1-30 team league that plays each other equally and the top 16 teams make it. Once you start breaking into divisions and playing uneven schedules. You are no longer comparing even things.

Plus the NHL lets over half of its teams teams into its playoffs. No one is getting screwed.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Endless Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
I think expansion is inevitable.
or contraction

Endless Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:18 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

This is beyond dumb.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Shmuffalo
It's SAMSON, bozo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCsabre View Post
do you remember the last time we played playoff hockey within the division in the first two rounds? 1982 to 1993. Buffalo was bloody awful, won one series in 1983 then nothing until one series in 1993. We were forever losing to Montreal, Boston and Quebec. Two series wins in 12 years.

I would attribute this to Buffalo having a pretty mediocre team during this time, not the playoff scheduling.

Shmuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Costanza View Post
I would attribute this to Buffalo having a pretty mediocre team during this time, not the playoff scheduling.
Lay that responsibility where it belongs: Scotty Bowman as GM -- taking a Conference Finals team down to the first pick overall.

12-05-2011, 11:51 PM
sabresfan129103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Lay that responsibility where it belongs: Scotty Bowman as GM -- taking a Conference Finals team down to the first pick overall.
Or lay it at the feet of your favorite Sabre of all time. Phyllis is what you call her I believe.

sabresfan129103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:07 AM
Ghills23

Looking at the teams. The conferences makes sense when it comes to traveling. It's amazing how the Rags division are all close in proximity. NYR, PITT, NYI, NJD, PHI, WSH, CAR make for not much travel within their division. Just something that caught my eye.
Attached Images
File Type: png Re-alignment.PNG‎ (669.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: png Re-alignment 2.PNG‎ (277.8 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Ghills23: 12-06-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:15 AM
LGB24

I didnt read through 5 pages of responses so forgive me if im reiterating, but I like everything except how the playoffs are potentially going to be set up. No re-seeding until the third round can eliminate better teams earlier, and the same matchups in the first 2 rounds over and over. Also, with 4 making it in each conference better teams can be left out of the post-season at the expense of having a great division.
Another issue is lets say the semi finals (1 from each conference) include LA, Detroit, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh. If Buffalo is paired up with LA this gives a HUGE advantage to the winner of Det/Pit because of travel reasons. Just my 2 cents

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:43 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I like it for us, but see some flaws. I'd like to see conference play maintained, but I wouldn't be devastated if it's not.

Also, on a personal level, having only three chances to catch them locally (NJD NYR NYI) kind of sucks. Might mean more trips to Buffalo, as well as a few to Boston and Montreal for me.

Kind of cool to see this sort of format return, especially come playoff time. The more I dissect and the more I think about it, the more I like it and the more it grows on me. Cool.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:01 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
I am fine with it whatever keeps us away from Pittsburgh, Detroit, and gulp* COLUMBUS! haha

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:54 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

At work, so can't look through 5 pages and the rest of interwebz.... so....

How do the playoff seedings and format look for next year?

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:41 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
At work, so can't look through 5 pages and the rest of interwebz.... so....

How do the playoff seedings and format look for next year?
4 teams from each of the 4 "conferences" make it, and playoffs are wholly inside your own conference until one team is left from each. At that point it's unknown/undecided whether the semis will match 1v4 and 2v3 or a pre-detirmened (likely east/west, though they could rotate between the conferences) matchup.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:45 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
4 teams from each of the 4 "conferences" make it, and playoffs are wholly inside your own conference until one team is left from each. At that point it's unknown/undecided whether the semis will match 1v4 and 2v3 or a pre-detirmened (likely east/west, though they could rotate between the conferences) matchup.
Hm, interesting.

Sorta doubled-edged swort style though...

Some rivalries will get even more heated with the good teams with a great shot at playing each other every year....

... But it can also lead to a bit of a lack of diversity, seeing the same teams in April over and over again.

Personally, I think I quite like it.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:31 AM
Salzig
I am laudable.

I absolutely hate. I liked the system with two conferences and six divisions. I don't like the fact that two conferences have eight and the other two have seven teams, it's just awful.

Does someone know, which four teams have voted against the realignment??

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote