HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Radical Realignment Approved

Old
12-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Magnifique

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shai04 View Post
I love the new conferences. More chances to take the 3 hour flight from Edmonton to Phoenix and watch cheap hockey. Love the arena and the surrounding area.

That is the reason Phoenix is with Edmonton and Calgary, and the same reason both Florida is with the Eastern Canadian teams. We are big draws in those cities. At the Nov 5th game at least half the crowd in Phoenix was cheering for Edmonton, heck I saw a dozen Flames fans patrolling the main concourse.

My buddies and I are going to make it a yearly trip.

US Customs asked me the reason for my trip:

"Hockey (Yotes 4 Oil 2), Football (Cards 19, Rams 13 in OT), Golf (I wont go there). In that order."

(I adopted the Cardinals as my NFL team after that weekend, and they are 4-1 since. Got Kurt? bah, need more Peterson)
True. I figured that was why we ended up with Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton in our conference. Canadians love AZ, and usually flock to the games against their home towns. I'm not complaining.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:25 AM
mitch27

I'm too lazy to firgure it out, how many times to we play each team in our conference?

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:25 AM
awfulwaffle

It is a true fact that Canadians show up in droves.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:37 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo Taco Monday View Post
Yes, but the travel cost for the florida teams is going to be extreme. Xtreme!
I think the increased attendance from snowbirds heading down for teams against Canada will largely offset the extra fuel costs on their charter planes.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:27 AM
87turbobuick

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
It is a true fact that Canadians show up in droves.
Famous quote from Jack Kent Cooke former owner of the Kings.

"Cooke had been told that there were more than three hundred thousand former Canadians living within a three-hour drive of Los Angeles, and remarked, "Now I know why they left Canada: They hate hockey!"

87turbobuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

I don't like it. Already had a nightmare about it.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes Persevere View Post
What does this mean for the 'Yotes? It seems odd that they would announce this now while we may move for the next season. I can't believe we are still ownerless.
I wondered that too but there's no real impact. If Phoenix turns into Quebec, they simply chuck Quebec into one of the two Eastern conferences which both have only 7 teams.

As for people surprised at the number of Canadians in Phoenix, any resident will tell you Phoenix is a city of immigrants from all over, not just Canada. Phoenix had no say in this conference re-alignment anyway.

Competitively Vancouver and San Jose will lock up two spots, leaving us to compete with LA and Anaheim for the other two spots. Colorado's and Edmonton's young teams are going to be deadly very soon. Its gotten harder.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:28 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
You're also playing against your own conference 42 out of 82 games. You have plenty of chances to grab points against the teams that matter in the long run.

Good luck in the future!
I assume it'll only be 38 games with an unbalanced schedule where you play 3 teams 6x and 4 teams 5x.

Otherwise you couldn't fit in the required 44 games for home/home against the 22 non-conf teams.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:41 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

What the new schedule would have done to the Coyotes home games if it was in place this season:

-1 Chicago
-1 Columbus
-2 Dallas
-1 Detroit
-1 Minnesota
-1 Nashville
-1 St Louis
+1 Buffalo
+1* Calgary
+1 Carolina
+1* Colorado
+1* Edmonton
+1 Florida
+1 Pittsburgh
+1 Toronto
+1* Vancouver
+1 Washington

* I believe the 8 team conference play will be unbalanced, with 2 of the 7 other conf teams only visiting twice, while the other 5 visit three times each season. So it would rotate losing a home game from two of Van/Edm/Cal/LA/SJ/Ana/Col each season.

Not a bad tradeoff. Lose popular games against Chicago and Detroit, but gain games against Sid and Alex, plus the Leafs and Sabres usually sell some tickets.

Old
12-06-2011, 05:05 PM
PHX FireBirds18

I hated it initially. Two conferences having only 7 teams is bs. It will create some good rivalries though.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:45 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I think it's annoying how they keep referencing the getting to see every team every year as if that was only accomplished because of this realignment. You could not realign a single ****ing team and still do that.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Ominous Grey

Hey guys, outsider who pops into the BoH thread and this board every now and then.

Honest question, does this re-allignment make anyone nervous? Because the West has 16 and East 14, some people have suggested this is in the event of Phoenix going East.

What are your guys thoughts on this? Is this plausible or just coincidence? I wish you guys all the best in staying right where you are.

Ominous Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 02:35 PM
shai04

The whole concept of East/West no longer exists. It is four separate conferences based loosely on time zones. First 2 rounds of the playoffs will be strictly in conference. Once conference champions are determined, those 4 teams will be re-seeded based on regular season overall point totals. 1-4, 2-3. In theory you could have 2 old "west" or "east" teams meet in the final.

However, Phoenix is in an 8 team conference so that the option is available should they need to move, that they can be dropped into one of the 7 team conferences out east without needing a massive makeover of the new alignment.

No dark sinister plans from the NHL, just an obvious bit of foresight. It also makes expansion easier too, 2 more teams would fill out both 7 team conferences.

shai04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:09 AM
hbk

Best advantage of the 4 conference system is it opens trading up by another 7-8 teams on any transaction.

Right now teams actively try to avoid dealing within their own conference. Now, the # of teams you don't want to deal with are reduced to just the other 6 or 7 teams within your individual conference.

In the case of Kyle Turris, now we can consider moving him to Dallas, Columbus, Detroit, etc. and not fear that one of those teams might beat us out of a playoff spot.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Best advantage of the 4 conference system is it opens trading up by another 7-8 teams on any transaction.

Right now teams actively try to avoid dealing within their own conference. Now, the # of teams you don't want to deal with are reduced to just the other 6 or 7 teams within your individual conference.

In the case of Kyle Turris, now we can consider moving him to Dallas, Columbus, Detroit, etc. and not fear that one of those teams might beat us out of a playoff spot.
I'm not so sure about that, I think it actually makes trading even less likely. Before the teams that DM would really prefer not to trade with would be Dallas, Anaheim, LA or San Jose. Sure you don't have Dallas to worry about anymore but they've been replaced by Calgary, Colorado and Edmonton. So instead of having 4 teams that were very unlikely to be trading partners, now there will be 6. Granted not having a "western" conference might help but in general I don't think GM's avoided trading within the conference much, it was mostly just within the division that was considered a no no.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Don't forget that we traded pretty ****ing often with Calgary.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
Hey guys, outsider who pops into the BoH thread and this board every now and then.

Honest question, does this re-allignment make anyone nervous? Because the West has 16 and East 14, some people have suggested this is in the event of Phoenix going East.

What are your guys thoughts on this? Is this plausible or just coincidence? I wish you guys all the best in staying right where you are.
Nope, it has no impact or meaning for Phoenix whether they move or not.

As earlier in the thread you could equally draw the conclusion that because the NHL have announced this, they arent planning for Phoenix to move at all. Both sides are wishful thinking.

Old
12-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Redcoyote
Hungry

At least we won't lose to the redwings in the first found now

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoyote View Post
At least we won't lose to the redwings in the first found now
Well, now we have to worry about making the playoffs. Competition is that much tougher in the new set up.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Gwyddbwyll

One thing I'll be sad to see disappear is the Pacific ethos. While they were our rivals, I always found the fans of San Jose, LA Kings, Dallas and the Ducks to be mostly classy and knowledgeable fans of the game.

The Canadian teams have a lot more online vocal younger fans and are going to change that as they dominate the division talk. Dont get me wrong, they have many good posters too who have dropped in our forums from time to time, but bigger fanbases also invariably attract more of the SLAM boards style posters. It will be a Canadian-dominated division.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:35 PM
DesertDawg

I'm indifferent to the realignment. I'm more curious about how the post season will be set up. Would not like the 1st round match-ups be in the same conference, but wouldn't mind a possible Stanley Cup between 2 teams in the same conference.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:16 PM
GiveAFlyingPuck
Gary Bettman Rocks!

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
Well, now we have to worry about making the playoffs. Competition is that much tougher in the new set up.
I realize the schedule will be different, but in the new format we'd be in 3rd place behind Vancouver and San Jose instead of 9th place. Most of our future competition is below us for now. Not sure if I'd want the Sharks in the first round either.

GiveAFlyingPuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:37 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
I'm indifferent to the realignment. I'm more curious about how the post season will be set up. Would not like the 1st round match-ups be in the same conference, but wouldn't mind a possible Stanley Cup between 2 teams in the same conference.
The 1st and 2nd round matchups will be in the same "new" four conferences, with each of the four conferences crowning a champion. The only question remaining is whether the four new conference champions will be re-seeded by record in the 3rd round or there will be a predetermined bracket for those final four teams.

Whichever the decision is, you can't have the same two teams from the new conferences in the Stanley Cup. There is the possibility that two teams from the defunct Eastern or Western conferences could meet in the finals.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:53 AM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

This realignment isn’t much different from what I suggested months ago. I moved Detroit or Columbus from the “Central” to the “Northeast”, Pittsburgh from the “Atlantic” to the “Northeast”, and the Florida clubs into the “Atlantic”. I love that every club will travel to every city every year. I’m upset that there are 22 clubs that will make only one trip here, but I suppose it’s a trade off.

What really bugs me is that the “Western” clubs are at a competitive disadvantage. 8 clubs will miss the playoffs, while only 6 “Eastern” clubs will miss the cut. The ominous solution is that a “Western” club should move east . . .

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:34 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jet View Post
What really bugs me is that the “Western” clubs are at a competitive disadvantage. 8 clubs will miss the playoffs, while only 6 “Eastern” clubs will miss the cut. The ominous solution is that a “Western” club should move east . . .
On the other hand, with a pool of 16 teams to draw from there's a higher possibility of an "all-Western" cup final than an all Eastern one.