HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

NHL realignment and the Blues

Old
12-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Guy Legend

vCash: 500
NHL realignment and the Blues

So the NHL bog passed the new realignment set up and the Blues "conference" consists of:

Chicago
Columbus
Dallas
Detroit
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

I like seeing Dallas and Minnesota back with us and I like the divisional playoffs. I'm going to really hate the teams in our division a lot more since we will have to go through at least 2 of them in the playoffs. Keeping the Red Wings as a rival is a positive.

I don't like the unequal balance amongst conferences. The fact the Blues have 7 other teams to contend with while the eastern teams only have 6 others seems unfair. I wouldn't mind having seen Columbus move to the same division as Pittsburgh (which I think makes more geographic sense). Another negative, we are only going to play teams like the Sharks and Canucks 2x a year each.

Thoughts?

Guy Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

A deep division for sure, going to be tough to be in the top 4, assuming Dallas and Minnesota can keep up their current play into next season.

Would have liked to have Detroit though, although that could be a positive since they're aging and won't be getting much better with the impending retirement of their top guns in the next 3-5 seasons.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:31 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I'm not a big fan of the imbalanced numbers. It really makes for a different path to the playoffs, where some teams just flat out have an easier chance. I'd like to see that more level.

As for the teams in the Blues' hypothetical conference.....its pretty tough. Minnesota is on the rise. Detroit is still good, although I think they're coming back to the pack a bit. Winnipeg, Columbus and Dallas are probably the bottom feeders for the immediate future.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:52 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Meh. It makes sense geographically, but the overall alignment/idea is pretty crappy without two more expansion teams to even things out and I'm not sure that's going to make much sense for awhile. Not really a fan of having to "win through" your division to survive the first 2 rounds, either.

I'm sure that Dallas and Minnesota fans are thrilled with this, though. It's going to be a very demanding division.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Jzk

vCash: 4000
W/e. I like the current system better. I hate the idea of teams missing the playoffs even tho they're better than other teams. It's funny how the eastern conference only have 7 teams per division.

I hope the GMs vote for reseeding for the semi's so a west v west final is possible. I hate the east coast bias.

Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:06 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Howdy, future division mates!

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Welcome! Seeya next October!

Can someone describe the playoff system too me? It has me confused.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Jzk

vCash: 4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post

4 teams in each division play 1st vs 4th and 2nd vs 3rd. The winners of those match ups play for the division. After that it's still up in the air.

They might redraw. I'm guessing whoever has the best playoff record or regular season records for the final 4.

Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:27 PM
kfox9611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post

Apparently its 1 Vs 4 and 2 vs 3 within your own division.

So for example: if the top 4 were Chi, StL, Det, Min

we'd play DET, Chi would play minny and than in the 2nd round, the winners meet.

The final 4 apparently would be a realignment based on points.. so it could be east vs west in the conference finals and than a west vs west/ east vs east team in the cup final.

Not a fan of it at all. Especially with the 8 teams in our divison compared to the 7 in others

kfox9611 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:47 AM
SteenMachine

As far as what teams got matched up into conferences it looks decently spread out between cap ceiling teams, and never even had a shot at the Cup teams. Beyond that it seems to completely benefit the East Coast and seems like they're being pretentious and expecting any expansion teams to land there whenever that may be. Still don't get how Detroit can be on the Ontario border but fit better in the same conference as Dallas. Meanwhile Tampa and Florida are playing Montreal? I mean I get that we have to accept that East vs West is dead and that it's conference vs conference, but some of it just makes no sense. The playoff system has potential to be really one sided based on what teams can spend to stay competitive without being dominated by stronger markets and denied a chance to play teams based on how they look in the standings and not just these lazy division overlaps.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:25 AM
Wallachia

I like having the Norris back, and having a Canadian team in our conference. Don't care one way or another about Dallas besides the fact they used to be the North Stars.

Wallachia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:15 AM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Makes each game super important. Excited to see what the names will be.

Old
12-06-2011, 03:07 AM
wilco5886
Come On You Spurs

I haven't read up on it much yet, but did they just basically copy off the AHL set-up? (I'm basing this solely off of NHL 12) Also, are they keeping the western and eastern conferences? If so, it's complete BS that 1 conference has 2 more teams. Is it really that hard to split an even number of teams in half?

Frankly, I was hoping to ship Detroit out East. I'm fine with our rivalry being with Chicago, and no Detroit fans consider us a rival anyways, more of a whipping boy. Makes more sense geographically as well (or Columbus, but I'd rather keep them for the wins ) But I am glad to have more games against Minny and Winny (just wish they could go back to their old jerseys, loved 'em both especially the North Stars). Kinda indifferent about Dallas.

wilco5886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 06:43 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Just wanted to stop by and say how awesome it is to be back with our old Norris rivals! Also loving the old division style playoffs...here's to many a passionate playoff series to breed the hate!

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:08 AM
superblues
I'm being sarcastic.

* Divisional play/ rivalries throughout the regular season
* Better travel schedule for all Western Conference teams
* Regular season schedule
* Norris Division is essentially back.

Dislikes:
* They're being called "Conferences," not "Divisions"
* Playoff format; I will miss the bubble teams racing for points during the last month of the regular season. It's like an extra month of playoff hockey.
* Teams with more wins missing the playoffs because they have the "misfortune" of being in a stronger Conference
* Unbalanced conferences (7 teams vs. 8 teams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco5886 View Post
But I am glad to have more games against Minny and Winny (just wish they could go back to their old jerseys, loved 'em both especially the North Stars). Kinda indifferent about Dallas.
This would be an INCREDIBLE marketing plan to have "throwback" games, dispersed randomly throughout the season. Have all the teams within a division play a throwback game against a division rival, wearing vintage jerseys. A way to sell the old rivalries to new fans, while creating a bunch of vintage-inspired merchandise for fans to buy. Sort of like the Winter Classic, but inclusive of a lot more teams and not held outdoors.

Last edited by superblues: 12-06-2011 at 07:25 AM.
superblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:32 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

I feel like the end of the season will be diminished as you will probably know if you are in the playoffs or not. Our division will definitely be one of the toughest. We either have to expand to 32 teams or reduce it to 28 to make it completely fair in my opinion, but I doubt either happen.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:44 AM
Persian Wild
Persia 4 Parise

Love to hate you guys soon!

Persian Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:44 AM
The Note
Expectations: Low

Minny fans are just glad they have someone to hate now

The Note is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

I really like this conference. It couldn't have worked out much better in my mind. I love that we are playing with the Stars and Wild again. Jets are kind of meh to me. I'm too young to really remember the Jets of old and we barely ever saw the Thrashers so that's a rivalry that will have to be developed.

Divisional playoffs are going to be a lot of fun I think.

Now let's put the icing on the cake and name it the Norris conference

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:17 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Note View Post
Minny fans are just glad they have someone to hate now
Damn right! Was next to impossible to feel much of anything playing vs any of the NW opponents...a far cry from what we experienced before we lost the North Stars...now getting both back into a division that feels so natural, and getting the old playoff format that fueled those great Norris rivalries to begin with...it's a dream at this point! All we need left is the reinstatement of the Norris name itself!

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Damn right! Was next to impossible to feel much of anything playing vs any of the NW opponents...a far cry from what we experienced before we lost the North Stars...now getting both back into a division that feels so natural, and getting the old playoff format that fueled those great Norris rivalries to begin with...it's a dream at this point! All we need left is the reinstatement of the Norris name itself!
I could not agree with you more here.

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:43 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I thought I read a press release where they reseed after the FIRST ROUND.....so two teams from each conference go into the pool. I'd be in favor of that. It would also have the advantage of loosening up the East/West disparity.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:00 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I thought I read a press release where they reseed after the FIRST ROUND.....so two teams from each conference go into the pool. I'd be in favor of that. It would also have the advantage of loosening up the East/West disparity.
That would work for me. We have by far the hardest conference from top to bottom. The only 2 true bottom teams are Columbus and Winnipeg, but Winnipeg is on the rise and if Columbus hits on their next couple 1st round picks they would be a lot better. From the current standings 5 of the top 6 teams in the West are in our new conference.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:31 PM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Nope. Conference playoffs through the first two rounds, and it's undecided after that. A lot of people speculated that it would reseed after the first round, but the NHL decided to do it right, IMO.

I love the new alignment... but I would have been happy with any alignment that brought back divisional playoffs. It's not a coincidence that rivalries have become less intense since the NHL went to the 1-8 playoff format.

Love having Minnesota and Dallas in the division they belong. My only question can we trade Nashville and Columbus for Toronto?

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:42 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

OMG, Dallas and Minny...the teams we can never beat (when it counts)...

I`m not really a fan of this. nothing against the divisions but to play always the same teams even more in the POs is what I don`t like

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote