HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL realignment and the Blues

Old
12-06-2011, 01:46 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 133
It looks about as hard to win the new conference as it would be to win the current Western Conference.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:52 PM
inglouriousbackes

vCash: 500
yay for us to staying in probably the first or second hardest division in the league.

inglouriousbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:34 PM
superblues
:sarcasm: implied

Quote:
Originally Posted by inglouriousbackes View Post
yay for us to staying in probably the first or second hardest division in the league.
I'm inclined to think that the realignment will set our playoff hopes back a few years. We can't seem to crack Dallas and Minnesota, Nashville is a tough contender, and Chicago and Detroit are Chicago and Detroit.

Here's to hoping the Blues can rise to the occasion.

superblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Frenzy1

Does anyone know what type of scheduling will go into this? IE how many times do we play each team? And how will that work with a division that 7 teams vs. 8?

If I was Columbus, I would be pissed right now. It will be hard to move up with a division like this.

I almost think the 8 team divisions should have 6 teams make it into the playoffs - with 3 and 6 playing each other and 4 and 5 (Maybe a best of 3 series). Then you would have them match up against the top 2 in each division.

IMO, would make it a bit more even and give more teams a chance at the playoffs.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:43 PM
jmwc95

Statistically, you don't realize how huge a disadvantage it is to be in an eight team conference. Teams in the 7 team conferences have a 14% greater probability of making the playoffs every year. That means on average they will got to the playoffs 1 more time in seven years than eight team conferences. I like the format IF it were balanced. It's total BS that the big northeast team markets get a MUCH easier path to the playoffs. It's grossly unfair. It is WAY to great of a statistical advantage.

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

I really don't care for the playoff odds structure. The current method is much more fair.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:30 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 270
Columbus is pretty much screwed.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:50 PM
Blues88

Did anyone hear Engblom propose that they should name the four conferences Gretzky, Howe, Orr, and Lemieux going from West to east?

Reaction:

Eh, not too bad.

Still pulling for the Norris division to be reinstated....

Blues88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:39 AM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues88 View Post
Did anyone hear Engblom propose that they should name the four conferences Gretzky, Howe, Orr, and Lemieux going from West to east?

Reaction:

Eh, not too bad.

Still pulling for the Norris division to be reinstated....
That was pretty much my exact response when he started rambling names off.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:43 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 270
I feel like those names are way to new to use without seeming cheesy. Whatever they call our conference, it will be known as the Norris.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 03:41 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Current points percentage order, morning of 12/7. Color coded by new conference.

1. Minnesota
2. NYR
3. Boston
4. Philadelphia
5. Pittsburgh
6. Chicago
7. Detroit
8. Florida
9. Vancouver
10. St. Louis
11. Phoenix
12. San Jose
13. Dallas
14. Toronto
15. Buffalo
16. Los Angeles
17. Washington
18. Edmonton
19. Ottawa
20. New Jersey
21. Nashville
22. Montreal
23. Winnipeg
24. Colorado
25. Calgary
26. NYI
27. Tampa Bay
28. Anaheim
29. Columbus
30. Carolina

Playoff matchups:
St. Louis (4) at Minnesota (1)
Detroit (3) at Chicago (2)

Los Angeles (4) at Vancouver (1)
San Jose (3) at Phoenix (2)

Washington (4) at New York Rangers (1)
Pittsburgh (3) at Philadelphia (2)

Buffalo (4) at Boston (1)
Toronto (3) at Florida (2)

Yes, the new regular season schedule would make things different, so it's not a perfect match. But it's a good snapshot of where things stand right this minute.

The only team that could claim "injustice" would be 13th overall Dallas, left out while 17th overall Washington gets in. Considering that every year the current conference structure creates "injustice" (outside-looking-in Blues and Calgary had more points than playoff-bound Philly/NYR the year Philly made Cup Finals), I'm not convinced of the injustice claimed by some about the new structure. Yes, mathematically it's easier to qualify in a 7-team conference temporarily in this pre-32 team league, but some of the outrage is misplaced IMO.

Here's a way to look at it: it's a seven month war to win your conference (six regular season months and a playoff month), followed by a Final Four month of all the conference champs for the ultimate prize. Like college sports, your main focus is winning your conference, and then if you can pull that off, you get to go for the whole enchilada.

Something I'm not seeing discussed much anywhere, huge potential plus: MORE HOME AND HOMES. The NHL should have "Home and Home Weekends." The seven-team conference extra team could have its home-and-home with the other conference spare team that weekend.

Now when your conference mates play out of conference, it's much more immediate a rooting interest that they lose. Consider how you feel about these kind of regular season games right now, and how you will feel about them next year:

Dallas vs. LA
Vancouver vs. Minnesota
Phoenix vs. Nashville
Chicago vs. Anybody (ok, no change there)

There's going to be fewer staged fights (hopefully) and more passion-filled scrums. The fights that do break out will be because guys are genuinely PO'd and so sick of each other.

I think all of this so severely outweighs the minor objections people have. Especially for folks who've only gotten into hockey in the past 15-20 years who missed the true Norris heyday, I think they should really give this new format a chance. I think it's going to create new fans pulled in by the intensity of some of these new games. Take 'em to a home-and-home game with the crowd worked up. It's been such a marketing of stars approach these past couple decades, and not enough team vs. team organic grudge narrative. There's plenty of skill in the league to market. Let the grudges get good, let's see the personalities come out more in the thick of battle.

If you couldn't tell, I'm a huge fan of the realignment plan.

[If they go with Gretzky, Howe, Lemieux, Orr (which I'm fine with) Smythe=Gretzky, Norris=Howe, Patrick=Lemieux, Adams=Orr]

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Ghost Face
Hull of Fame

I don't have any major beef with the realignment, however I am now conflicted with both my teams being in the same conference. I feel my hate for Detroit and Chicago growing......
On the plus side I will get to see the Blues at least twice a year.

Ghost Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Blue12

Glad about the move. Just a heads up, if for some reason you happened to go to a road game in Wpg in Jan - it could happen .....here are some pointers
1 Wear a Tuque, if for fan allegiance reasons it can't be the Jets, Blue Bombers will do
2 The red glow and burning sensation in your face is normal, please don't be alarmed.
3 Make some wisecracks about the band Nickelback will earn you some musical cred....(though this will earn you cred in most places)
4 Ensure hotel and arena are as close as possible....this may lessen the importance of point 2

All in all Winnipeg is great little city, its underestimated and belittled sometimes here in Canada, but its feisty, loyal and a little unique.

Blue12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
If you can't crack the top 4 in your conference, you don't deserve to be in the playoffs. Your probably not going very fay anyway. You want to crack the top 4 ? Get better.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:00 AM
jimmykay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
If you can't crack the top 4 in your conference, you don't deserve to be in the playoffs. Your probably not going very fay anyway. You want to crack the top 4 ? Get better.
Thats kinda what I was thinking too. Sure it sucks that a #9 in the west can make it in while a #7 gets shafted. But even so, historically, no team lower that the 5th seed has ever won the cup... ever

jimmykay is offline   Reply With Quote