HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Realignment

Old
12-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Andy6
Court Jetster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectra View Post
Cool. Forgot about the Toews angle too, bet you could fill a building twice your size for those games! Do you have any large outdoor arenas there?

Edit: An outdoor game here would be epic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canad_Inns_Stadium
Haha...that is being torn down this winter. Maybe at the new football stadium that's replacing it though!

Andy6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Sarava

I think the new system is great. I was afraid Detroit would go out east and the Hawks would be the lone original 6 team out west.

Now we'll see the eastern teams comes to Chicago more. And adding Minnesota is cool. The Sox and Bears already have rivalries with Minnesota, so we may as well add another. They just need to change their name to the Northstars!

Winnipeg of course is cool. lots of excitement up there with the new team, and of course Buff and Ladd will come to town 2-3 times per year now.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:47 PM
topnotch

I have a real fear this will make the playoff races quite boring. Last year in the West, 7-8 teams were fighting for 5 playoff spots and it wasn't until the last game did everything sort itself out. Under the new format I fear there will be few playoff fights and it will only occur between a couple 4-5 place teams.

I also don't like the playoff format with the first two rounds intraconference. The same teams will always be playing each other and the NHL loses playoff rivalries such as Chicago/Vancouver and Detroit/San Jose. It also sets up for REALLY good teams to get knocked out in the 2nd round because they play in the same conference.

I think it would have been better if they kept the Eastern/Western conference and made 4 divisions. The first round of playoffs is intradivision, then reseeding to play within conference, then conference winners play in the SCF.

topnotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:04 PM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
No, only the NBA shared east and west. The NFL has two conferences that span from one coast to the other...each, as does Baseball.

Was never a fan of east vs west.
I know the nfl doesn't do East vs West. Thank you. But they still distinguish between the AFC and NFC and teams between the two conferences never play each other in the playoffs except for the SuperBowl

xX Hot Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Suburbanbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by topnotch View Post
I have a real fear this will make the playoff races quite boring. Last year in the West, 7-8 teams were fighting for 5 playoff spots and it wasn't until the last game did everything sort itself out. Under the new format I fear there will be few playoff fights and it will only occur between a couple 4-5 place teams.

I also don't like the playoff format with the first two rounds intraconference. The same teams will always be playing each other and the NHL loses playoff rivalries such as Chicago/Vancouver and Detroit/San Jose. It also sets up for REALLY good teams to get knocked out in the 2nd round because they play in the same conference.

I think it would have been better if they kept the Eastern/Western conference and made 4 divisions. The first round of playoffs is intradivision, then reseeding to play within conference, then conference winners play in the SCF.
I agree with this 100% Keeps the re-alignment but also makes for a better play off system. Sorry the play offs were NOT broken...Bettman should have left that alone. It really seems like there could be legitimate contenders knocked off in the second round just because one other team may have their number.

I also wonder about the value of this proposal to the overall game. What happens to the fans on the west coast if, for multiple years straight, we have an all east coast SCF and/or vice versa? I personally hate the all east or all west World Series and/or Superbowls. Would ratings suffer?

Suburbanbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:59 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

I have no problem other than the uneven divisions. It should be the top three in each division followed by four Wildcard teams overall. If the divisions were even I would be fine with leaving it alone.

HawksFan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
I have no problem other than the uneven divisions. It should be the top three in each division followed by four Wildcard teams overall. If the divisions were even I would be fine with leaving it alone.
That makes more sense.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:11 PM
madgoat33

I woulda prefered 2 conferences of 15 teams and the top 8 from each get into the playoffs.

I'm sick of divisions.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 06:38 PM
EdgeR44

I love the new system. Looking forward for intense rivalries with Minny, St Louis and Detroit.

As for the lost Canucks-Hawks rivalry I say ******* it. I am sick of it anyway, I live in Canada and I am always forced to watch their games on CBC with that homer Hughson. It has ruined my viewing experience and enjoyment. So thank God it's gone or at least the chance of it happening is lower.

Most importantly, now I am guaranteed at least one Hawks game in the Bell Center here in Montreal every year. So I am extremely happy with that.

Now I am really torn about the Jets though, I hate how the owners treated the Thrashers organization and fans so I should hate them pretty quickly. But Byfuglien and Ladd being there will make it difficult.

EdgeR44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Hawkaholic

We added 2 teams to our conference who play us very well, not good.

I like the set up, I hate the playoff format. Top 16 teams should get in no matter what division, and should be 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15 etc..

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

I liked the two conference setup better, but that's probably because I've never much liked changes the NHL makes as they happen.

Still, I think it's fair to say this will seriously dumb down the playoff races we've gotten used to seeing since the lockout.

Also pretty unfair that "Western Conference" teams have a mathematically lower chance of making the playoffs than Eastern ones. Not that there's any particular solution to that that I can think of.

I guess in the end, I'd have preferred swapping Columbus or Nashville into the East and moving Winnipeg into the West, and being done with it.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:09 PM
ChiGuySez
2013 SC Champions

As far as uneven conferences go, it may be looking easier to eliminate weak franchises from the league if thats they way the NHL wants to go.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Timinater

I completely understand why the NHL organized the league this way. It's pretty obvious they determined conferences based on time zones and worked a playoff schedule to maximize intra-timezone playoff games. Remember that NHL makes their decisions based on $$$. One of the biggest complaints was that say Detroit for example had to deal with lower-rated 10pm playoff game starts in San Jose on weekdays.

They also kept most rivalries intact, except the obvious Chicago-Vancouver rivalry which is killed because of the playoff structure. It will be awesome to see new (and old) rivalries get sparked from the constant playoff appearances year to year. I actually think the playoffs will get more exciting because series will start to develop histories and hatred will intensify, which is one of the best things about hockey playoffs.

Yes, there are bad things about this restructuring too. But it's nice to see the league decide on something quickly to satisfy most of the teams.

Timinater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Blue Liner

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story...-trip-schedule

Was wondering how this realignment stuff might coexist (or not) with the annual trips.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:50 PM
BlackhawksHawkey

The realignment looks good with the exception of the uneven conferences and how Tampa and Florida got shafted pretty hard. It'll be nice to play every team now.

BlackhawksHawkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:10 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
[QUOTE=BlackhawksHawkey;40561269]The realignment looks good with the exception of the uneven conferences and how Tampa and Florida got shafted pretty hard./QUOTE]

From a business sense, they got it really good, actually...

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:11 PM
CPHawksFan
That's Hockey Baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian Wild View Post
Love to hate you guys soon!

Go Wild!
I don't know if I could ever bring myself to hate the Wild after the favor they did for us last year...and for giving us Nick Leddy.

CPHawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:22 PM
CPHawksFan
That's Hockey Baby!!

So am I understanding this correctly?....Conference "A" champion can play champion of Conference "B", "C", or "D" in the semi-finals, then the winners of those series play in the SCF? So The Hawks could theoretically play the Nucks in the SCF, or the Penguins could theoretically play the Bruins in the SCF, etc. That seems so weird to me.

CPHawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:51 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPHawksFan View Post
I don't know if I could ever bring myself to hate the Wild after the favor they did for us last year...and for giving us Nick Leddy.
A playoff series or two in back to back years will change your mind.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:58 PM
bulletwwings

Sure i like the new setup and sure playoffs may seem screwy...RIGHT NOW. Bettman (i hate the guy but still) came out and said that in the next BOG meeting they would discuss playoffs and iron out the details. So before all of you go jumping off bridges can you wait till march (i think is when the next BOG meeting is) to see how they rework playoffs?

bulletwwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 12:10 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPHawksFan View Post
So am I understanding this correctly?....Conference "A" champion can play champion of Conference "B", "C", or "D" in the semi-finals, then the winners of those series play in the SCF? So The Hawks could theoretically play the Nucks in the SCF, or the Penguins could theoretically play the Bruins in the SCF, etc. That seems so weird to me.
Yup, you got it.

First two rounds will be intraconference to find the conference champs. Then the "Final Four" get re-seeded, and play a standard elimination tournament from there.

It's a good way to decrease travel and time-zone changes, which can really take their toll over the two months of the playoffs. Consider what it's been like for pretty much every Western team for the past few years. They would travel halfway across the country, play their hearts out, and then get right back on the plane to fly back as many as five times in a span of about two weeks.

After doing this for a month and a half, they would have to fly to the East (which could be even farther away), and face teams that have been way better rested.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:26 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I don't see a big problem with the uneven conferences. They play as much games as we do and the team has more than enough time to get the needed points for it's own conference

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:46 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I don't see a big problem with the uneven conferences. They play as much games as we do and the team has more than enough time to get the needed points for it's own conference
Two conferences have a statistical advantage to make the playoffs over the other two. The NHL would be the only major sport with this flaw. Introducing a Wildcard system for the final four spots would eliminate this but then you have the problem regarding the conference play in the 1st two rounds.

HawksFan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 02:32 AM
RomersWorld

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Two conferences have a statistical advantage to make the playoffs over the other two. The NHL would be the only major sport with this flaw. Introducing a Wildcard system for the final four spots would eliminate this but then you have the problem regarding the conference play in the 1st two rounds.
The MLB has for 15+ years I believe. Although they are changing it in 2013. They've had 16 National League teams and 14 American League teams.

Not to mention a division with 4 teams, a division with 6 teams, and the rest with 5 teams.

RomersWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 02:37 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
The MLB has for 15+ years I believe. Although they are changing it in 2013. They've had 16 National League teams and 14 American League teams.

Not to mention a division with 4 teams, a division with 6 teams, and the rest with 5 teams.
And it's one of the many examples for why Selig's a moron (and the rest of MLB brass), especially when you remember that the whole system was put in place when they were already considering interleague play, meaning that it would be insanely easy to just stagger that throughout the year so having both leagues with an odd number of teams would've been a non-issue (i.e. what they're going to do starting in 2013).

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote