HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Creating a lightning bolt hand gesture

Old
06-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Captain Slow

vCash: 500
Creating a lightning bolt hand gesture

So I rarely post here but I had an 'interesting' idea and I wanted to gauge the interest of other Lightning fans on this one.

You know how many colleges and universities have hand gestures and what not, like the gator chomp at UF? What if the bolts had one where, and bear with me on this one, you make a lightning bolt with your hands. Extend your hands in front of your face like you're making a 'U' with the tips of your thumbs touching, your index fingers extended out, and your palms facing away from your face. Now flip one hand 180 degrees upside-down but keep the thumbs touching. Now rotate both hands 45 degrees. Looks a bit like a lightning bolt, right?

Now, what I'm wondering is how everyone else feels about a TBL hand gesture, or, for that matter, gestures in anything other than college sports. Is it generally like a Michael Scott "No, God, No!" kind of reaction, or is it a "Heck yes, let's do this!" thing?

I assure, I was not drunk or high when I came up with this idea. Just a random thought from a Lightning fan who is naturally bored when June comes around.

Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 09:24 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Old
06-05-2012, 09:40 PM
BoltSTH

Not a 'World Class' idea

BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:08 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
So I rarely post here but I had an 'interesting' idea and I wanted to gauge the interest of other Lightning fans on this one.

You know how many colleges and universities have hand gestures and what not, like the gator chomp at UF? What if the bolts had one where, and bear with me on this one, you make a lightning bolt with your hands. Extend your hands in front of your face like you're making a 'U' with the tips of your thumbs touching, your index fingers extended out, and your palms facing away from your face. Now flip one hand 180 degrees upside-down but keep the thumbs touching. Now rotate both hands 45 degrees. Looks a bit like a lightning bolt, right?

Now, what I'm wondering is how everyone else feels about a TBL hand gesture, or, for that matter, gestures in anything other than college sports. Is it generally like a Michael Scott "No, God, No!" kind of reaction, or is it a "Heck yes, let's do this!" thing?

I assure, I was not drunk or high when I came up with this idea. Just a random thought from a Lightning fan who is naturally bored when June comes around.
I honest to god thought you were after that, this is hilarious

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:38 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:

I'm not a big fan hand gestures, but if people want to do them then it's w/e.

The issue I have with this one is that it'll kind of look like we are making two L's, which will almost immediately be associated with "Losers" by another fan base. I don't hate the idea, start it if you like it, maybe people will run with it.

Quote:
Hey man, no worries, it's the thought that counts. We're all feeling the pain of June-October.

What I would like though is some type of team song, like how the europeans do at soccer games. This way we can make a lot of noise w/out senseless yelling, not to mention how much fun it is to sing the same song with 20,000 other people(Think of how awesome the Forum was this yr during the anthem).

You'd probably need to think of easily understandable lyrics and get a large group of people to go to games consistently and sing it a couple times a game in order for it to catch on. You might want to get all those people to meet up at one of the open corners in the 100 section, or up by the pipe organ, to all sing together.

It'd probably take a while for the casual fans to get it, would be fun if it worked out though.

Sorry to hijack your thread and make it about my idea, lol.

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 03:50 AM
garmonbozia

Hand gesture idea needs more motion...or something. Something that has relevance other than just flashing a gang sign type finger pose for photo ops. Not a horrible idea, just not sure I see any reason your average fan would do the gesture.

I do like the sing-a-long idea a ton though. Always thought the snippet of Thunderstruck "THUN!!!DER!!! AaaaAAAaAAAaAAh!" would make a nice Lightning chant requiring minimal effort from the common fan. Two loud drum beats over the PA could get it going any time like the more common chant of "DE-FENCE".

What other songs might work?

garmonbozia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Captain Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post

The issue I have with this one is that it'll kind of look like we are making two L's, which will almost immediately be associated with "Losers" by another fan base. I don't hate the idea, start it if you like it, maybe people will run with it.
LOL. I honestly never even thought of that. Good point.

I'm also a fan of having some sort of lightning-specific chant. Would be cool to have that European soccer atmosphere.

Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:29 PM
DangleDoppler

Quote:
I'm also a fan of having some sort of lightning-specific chant. Would be cool to have that European soccer atmosphere.
Or just a better cheer..."TAAAAMPPAAAA...BAAAYYYYY..." is just silly...

I'll admit I've done it after big wins, but only because there's nothing better out there...

DangleDoppler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 05:48 PM
John Rocker

stupid

John Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:02 PM
snowden
Man is matter

snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:04 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rocker View Post
stupid
Shut up, John Rocker.

Old
06-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Shut up, John Rocker.
Racist!

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 08:59 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
I'm not a big fan hand gestures, but if people want to do them then it's w/e.

The issue I have with this one is that it'll kind of look like we are making two L's, which will almost immediately be associated with "Losers" by another fan base.
It's the Leafs isn't it? It's the Leafs.

Quote:
...What I would like though is some type of team song, like how the europeans do at soccer games...
This.

How could this happen though without naughty language working it's way in? The drinking and swearing are important, if not vital, elements.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 06-06-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:49 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
It's the Leafs isn't it? It's the Leafs.
Of course it's the Leafs. What else are they gonna do in their spare time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
How could this happen though without naughty language working it's way in? The drinking and swearing are important, if not vital, elements.
Well, we could have place holder words in the song that sound like profanity(like Duck and Spit). Once everyone in the forum is drunk enough they'll just naturally use the curse words.

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:20 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Just get one of these and have everyone salute it at random points.

Old
06-07-2012, 12:05 AM
I Am Beat You

Tack on a blue cape and we've got ourselves a new mascot!

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Tokala

I don't see myself doing some hand gesture during a game..........I'll spill my beer.

Tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 12:24 PM
vinnythe deuce

I always have done one that is similar to the hang 10 hand sign. The difference is i tilt my hand down more so my pinky is pointed towards the ground and i stagger my knuckles a little to look like the lightning bolt. Kind of random but have been doing this for the last few years with some of my buddies
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Hang 10.jpeg‎ (4.3 KB, 3 views)

vinnythe deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Glide5

Quote:
LOL. I honestly never even thought of that. Good point.

Ive always wanted a Bolts handsignal, but that is just because Im at USF right now, and our hand signal is so easy too do haha.

A lightning specific chant would be sweet though. Any atmosphere we can add is a good thing.

Glide5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:16 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
It's going to a be long offseason.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote