HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where do we go from here?

Old
12-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
Schneider: 48 NHL games
Bernier: 40 NHL games

I would still call these goalies unproven. How will they work with our weak defense? Are they really worth giving up loads for? They have both been back-up goalies, none of them have been tested as a nr 1 for a whole season.

Im not so sure.
I would call them unproven to try and acquire them for less, but to me Schneider is proven... what a goalie

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 12:33 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Turco also decided to play in the Spengler Cup, which was ultimately won by HC Davos.

Turco backstopped Canada to a 7-1 win over Vitkovice HC, then Marc Crawford went with Jake Allen for some reason against Davos, which resulted in a 8-1 loss.

Canada went back to Turco in their elimination game, but Canada just came up short with a shootout loss to Wolfsburg.

There was a shot by a Wolfsburg player where he went backhand with the puck, hitting both posts, and bouncing out. The referee at the time said it was a goal, and when the refs reviewed it, they decided it should count.

Turco stops the next few shooters, but when the last guy to 'score' goes at him again, Kai Hospelt puts it through the 5-hole.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 12-31-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:16 AM
Bolts265

Do I dare say with this 3 game home winning streak and the not too bad last road trip (except for San Jose) that we may have turned the corner? Team confidence should be much better but I think any less than 4 points on this upcoming road trip would be disappointing. What are your feelings?

Bolts265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts265 View Post
Do I dare say with this 3 game home winning streak and the not too bad last road trip (except for San Jose) that we may have turned the corner? Team confidence should be much better but I think any less than 4 points on this upcoming road trip would be disappointing. What are your feelings?
They may have turned a corner, but there is still a significant amount of upgrading to be done if it's to be a successful season (and by successful, I mean simply making the playoffs). It's going to be a long uphill climb. I don't think we have the horses to get it done.
Garon has been playing very well, but he's not done very well long term with this kind of work load in the past and I'm not comfortable depending on him for the remainder of the season. And if it wasn't for the forwards playing out of their heads defensively the huge gaping holes on the D would be even more blatantly obvious.

Still don't want to sell the farm just to make the playoffs only to get knocked out in the first round though. SFY is going to have lots to work with in the offseason. Unless he can get a couple of steals at the deadline, better to maintain and reload.

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:06 AM
JedYzerman

Any chance we could sign Rask?

JedYzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:26 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweather26 View Post
It would probably take massive overpayment to get him. The Bruins are arguably the best team in the league right now with a great shot at winning it all again this year. Rask is supposed to take over as their #1 once Thomas turns Roloson and eventually retires.

LightningStrikes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweather26 View Post
No way. He's RFA, and Boston's plan of succession is for Rask to take over once he's finished.

Off season plans are also too far away to really figure just yet.

The goalie available, at this point, who may give us the best chance to win the cup this year, might be Marty Turco.

(all games NHL)
Turco: 30 PO games
Halak: 21 ''
Vokoun: 5
Niittymaki: 4
Leclaire: 3

As for skaters, there's a few guys still unsigned in Europe.

Defense
Paul Mara
Bryan McCabe
Nick Boynton

Forwards
Sergei Samsonov
Ryan Johnson
Chris Clark
John Madden
Marek Svatos
Steve Begin
Mike Comrie
Peter Schaefer

Old
01-02-2012, 10:37 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

Out of that UFA list McCabe and Madden are the only ones I'd be interested in but both of them fill roles we aren't exactly looking for: McCabe = MAB, Madden = Thompson / Hall but slower. Allegedly, Madden is in talks with the Panthers anyway.

As for goalies: I'd love to see Yzerman make a trade for Halak.

Edit: DC on Nabokov: http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...cle1208702.ece

Last edited by LightningStrikes: 01-02-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old
01-02-2012, 12:11 PM
LateNightOilerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Out of that UFA list McCabe and Madden are the only ones I'd be interested in but both of them fill roles we aren't exactly looking for: McCabe = MAB, Madden = Thompson / Hall but slower. Allegedly, Madden is in talks with the Panthers anyway.

As for goalies: I'd love to see Yzerman make a trade for Halak.

Edit: DC on Nabokov: http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...cle1208702.ece
That article on Nabokov isn't considering the following:
(1) the Isles have been playing well lately
(2) they are only 5 points back of the Bolts
(3) DP will be coming off a groin injury soon, but can't be relied upon to stay healthy
(4) Montoya is out indefinitely with a concussion

Isles would be smart to hang onto Nabokov so long as he keeps playing well and they are trending upwards, because as soon as they trade him DP will likely get injured again, Montoya might be out for a while and then they'd be using a couple rookies in net again when they'd be better off in the AHL. In other words, unless they have given up on the season, they should hang onto Nabokov.

Also, with respect to this season, the Bolts are starting to play very well to support their goalies. Roli could still get back in a groove if Garon starts to faulter, because this is the type of scenario he tends to excel in - battling back for regular starts.

LateNightOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 02:12 PM
snowden
Man is matter

Stop pimping Turco. No one cares and no one wants him here. We don't need a run down of stats from some dumb tourney in Europe.

snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
Stop pimping Turco. No one cares and no one wants him here. We don't need a run down of stats from some dumb tourney in Europe.
Well, who do you want? Or are you okay with a goalie who refuses to use his glove?

And how do you know no one wants him here? If he were French, he'd already be.

As for the 'dumb tourney', which was actually two tournaments, that are now both over. I highlighted them specifically because of their brevity, and the heightened pressure of their single or double elimination formats. It's not like they can **** around with Roloson in net for 30 games while he tries to find his game. Turco had to perform, and he did.

and he did this against teams who play together regularly, not ones that had been assembled for that tournament.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 01-02-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old
01-02-2012, 04:30 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I would make a phonecall to Philly to see what they thought about Bobrovsky, and then to the Caps about Holtby.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 04:54 PM
BoltSTH

I think we will have Garon/Rollie for the rest of this year. Maybe be a smaller trade at the deadline if we are in playoff contention, someone like Gleason.

I would expect a lot of changes during the off season. Lots of contracts and $ coming off the books, and new CBA hopefully in place

BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
I would make a phonecall to Philly to see what they thought about Bobrovsky, and then to the Caps about Holtby.
The thing that bugs me with that is that neither is proven as an NHL #1 goalie, and it effectively spells the end for Tokarski, who may be that #1 down the road.

Old
01-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
After watching the 3 goals Bob gave up today I think I'll pass on that end.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:07 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
The thing that bugs me with that is that neither is proven as an NHL #1 goalie, and it effectively spells the end for Tokarski, who may be that #1 down the road.
Bob has shouldered quite the load in Philly and in Russia.... at least on a level higher than the AHL. Holtby is a wildcard but i'm not sure Washington really feels good about him, and might be quite cheap. If hes cheap enough, competition is great for all parties including Tokarski. If hes good enough to take the job, he should. I don't buy into the "this is the end" thing for him, the job is going to go to whoever earns it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
After watching the 3 goals Bob gave up today I think I'll pass on that end.
Not the first time a guy had a rough day. He does have a certain quality of not getting a good lateral push at times, though, like the Richards goal. He pushed but didn't really go anywhere. Too flat, too low, didn't cover enough ground fast enough. He actually reminds me a bit of Desjardins, but with more polish and size.

Old
01-02-2012, 09:09 PM
snowden
Man is matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
blah blah
I certainly wouldn't want the Bolts to go after a 36 year old has been who no other team wanted and is forced to play meaningless games and tournaments in Europe as another stop gap. We've been down that road too many times before. Go after some of the younger guys or take a look at what we already have in the offseason. You are only convincing yourself that Turco is worth a look.

Old
01-02-2012, 09:14 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
I certainly wouldn't want the Bolts to go after a 36 year old has been who no other team wanted and is forced to play meaningless games and tournaments in Europe as another stop gap. We've been down that road too many times before. Go after some of the younger guys or take a look at what we already have in the offseason. You are only convincing yourself that Turco is worth a look.
I understand where hes coming from, cheap, experienced, low risk... but I just don't believe he has it anymore. If it were Emery or something like that i'd have a little more faith, but Turco just looked slow, out of position, unable to react. Sadly, like Roloson.

Old
01-02-2012, 10:10 PM
snowden
Man is matter

Exactly. This team deserves a goalie that's not at the end of his career.

Old
01-03-2012, 07:38 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

Quote:
“We’re not shocked by where we are,” Yzerman said in a telephone call from Calgary. “I’m not caught off guard by this. We’re not surprised at all. We knew this wasn’t going to be easy. I think going in to the year, we knew this would be a challenge for everybody, our coaching staff, our players, the whole organization.”
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/01/02...sing-territory

Old
01-04-2012, 06:51 AM
Benders Lindyhop

So, we need a PP coach, badly. It's nice that they hold the spot open for Wayne (get better soon!), but the facts need to be faced. He isn't coming back, not this season and quite possibly never.

Any ideas? I have one, but I don't know if it would have any validity because A)he's never coached and B)I don't know if he wants to coach.

What if we found out that Dave Andreychuk wanted to coach? Awesome PP guy in his playing days. Already with the Lightning organization. Already has the respect of the players, some of them at least, and was a great leader.

Normally I wouldn't suggest hiring a guy to coach in the NHL who hasn't ever coached before, but honestly he couldn't make the PP any worse than it already it. If he sucked at it, really no harm done. If he's good at it, maybe the Bolts PP doesn't look like the joke that it currently is.

What do you guys think? Could work? Or I need to get more sleep?

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:28 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
So, we need a PP coach, badly. It's nice that they hold the spot open for Wayne (get better soon!), but the facts need to be faced. He isn't coming back, not this season and quite possibly never.

Any ideas? I have one, but I don't know if it would have any validity because A)he's never coached and B)I don't know if he wants to coach.

What if we found out that Dave Andreychuk wanted to coach? Awesome PP guy in his playing days. Already with the Lightning organization. Already has the respect of the players, some of them at least, and was a great leader.

Normally I wouldn't suggest hiring a guy to coach in the NHL who hasn't ever coached before, but honestly he couldn't make the PP any worse than it already it. If he sucked at it, really no harm done. If he's good at it, maybe the Bolts PP doesn't look like the joke that it currently is.

What do you guys think? Could work? Or I need to get more sleep?
Why not? Isn't that how we got Adam Oates as an assistant in 2009-2010? Tocchet asked him as a friend to help out in training camp but then ended up staying on as a assistant coach?

Old
01-04-2012, 08:56 AM
zeykshade

I'd be fine with him coming in and helping out. I like that the organization is keeping the spot for Wayne though. If Dave wouldn't mind doing it, I think a lot could be learned from him. He only has more PP goals than anyone else in the history of the NHL. I know that doesn't mean he knows more than just tipping pucks out of mid air, but like has been said, our PP couldn't get much worse with his input.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

You know, I'm not quite sure that our defense is quite as bad as some are making it out to be. Right now we're missing a top pairing defenseman in Hedman and a Top 4 filler in Ohlund. This is the most Gervais has played all season as well in terms of consecutive games.

It's almost a god damn carbon copy from last season. The goaltending was so piss poor and there was zero confidence in our net with Smellis. Does anyone not remember how tentative we were when either one of them were playing? We were all over the place defensively because we couldn't afford one mistake or one missed coverage or being too eager to block shots that we'd give up perfect passing lanes to wide open shooters because otherwise it'd end up in the back of the net. Then the trade for Roloson and we looked like a completely different team because we had a goalie that, you know, made saves. We slowly came out of our hesitant, scared, defensive shell and played more straight forward hockey. Forechecking the hell out of everybody. Playing with confidence and a bit of swagger that basically said "We can win, and we ARE going to win."

Fast forward to present day, and it's like deja-****ing-vu. Piss poor goaltending from Roloson and a backup goalie that's in over his head. It was the same exact problem last night. Watching us defensively it was like we were trying too hard, as in, if we don't get the puck back at this instance it's going to end up in the net. We were chasing everywhere, no coverage, no dare-I-say-it structure, to our game in the D-zone.

Our special teams are a mess compared to last season's goldmine which doesn't help and only adds to the problem (however I do believe our 5-on-5 goal scoring is UP from last year), but this team needs goaltending. A guy who'll make an occasional save for us and can handle the workload of starting a dozen game in a row or something. Have some damn consistency again. No guessing games about who's in net for a big game in the standings. It's why we had such a good playoff run. We had a goalie we believed in and was holding his end of the bargain (sometimes more) and it allowed us to play our game not worry about being scored 8 times because of the current goalie being a complete sieve. A goalie who'll bail out a defense once in awhile makes a below-average defense look average or an average defense look good and so-on. Could our defense use a little upgrading? Absolutely. Is it the whole problem, or even the main problem? **** no.

Get a legit goaltender in here and then take a gander and see what we actually have when we're not playing with sub .900 Save % goaltending.

Old
01-04-2012, 11:46 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
You know, I'm not quite sure that our defense is quite as bad as some are making it out to be. Right now we're missing a top pairing defenseman in Hedman and a Top 4 filler in Ohlund. This is the most Gervais has played all season as well in terms of consecutive games.

It's almost a god damn carbon copy from last season. The goaltending was so piss poor and there was zero confidence in our net with Smellis. Does anyone not remember how tentative we were when either one of them were playing? We were all over the place defensively because we couldn't afford one mistake or one missed coverage or being too eager to block shots that we'd give up perfect passing lanes to wide open shooters because otherwise it'd end up in the back of the net. Then the trade for Roloson and we looked like a completely different team because we had a goalie that, you know, made saves. We slowly came out of our hesitant, scared, defensive shell and played more straight forward hockey. Forechecking the hell out of everybody. Playing with confidence and a bit of swagger that basically said "We can win, and we ARE going to win."

Fast forward to present day, and it's like deja-****ing-vu. Piss poor goaltending from Roloson and a backup goalie that's in over his head. It was the same exact problem last night. Watching us defensively it was like we were trying too hard, as in, if we don't get the puck back at this instance it's going to end up in the net. We were chasing everywhere, no coverage, no dare-I-say-it structure, to our game in the D-zone.

Our special teams are a mess compared to last season's goldmine which doesn't help and only adds to the problem (however I do believe our 5-on-5 goal scoring is UP from last year), but this team needs goaltending. A guy who'll make an occasional save for us and can handle the workload of starting a dozen game in a row or something. Have some damn consistency again. No guessing games about who's in net for a big game in the standings. It's why we had such a good playoff run. We had a goalie we believed in and was holding his end of the bargain (sometimes more) and it allowed us to play our game not worry about being scored 8 times because of the current goalie being a complete sieve. A goalie who'll bail out a defense once in awhile makes a below-average defense look average or an average defense look good and so-on. Could our defense use a little upgrading? Absolutely. Is it the whole problem, or even the main problem? **** no.

Get a legit goaltender in here and then take a gander and see what we actually have when we're not playing with sub .900 Save % goaltending.
You might be right with this. I still don't get why Kubina decided to join Brewer in the corner instead of covering his man in front of the net on the play the Leafs took the lead 4-3. Then again, maybe his plan was to help get that puck in the corner before Frattin even had the chance to pass. But honestly, I don't think that's part of Boucher's game plan. I know his system is all about "swarm mentality" and pressuring the puck. But that play was just plain dumb and probably cost us the game. But yeah, maybe it is desperation. And not in a good way.

All in all I agree with your assessment. Last season all we needed was Roloson who was solid enough to keep us in a game and a top-2 defenseman in Brewer. The abscence of Hedman and Ohlund is definitely hurting. Tim Gleason would be nice for example.

By the way, our 5-on-5 goal scoring is indeed up:
2011-12: 2.078 (79 goals in 38 games)
2010-11: 1.878 (154 goals in 82 games)

Our special teams suck though.