HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where do we go from here?

Old
01-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Follower of Yzlam
#FreeDrouin

vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
So....Roloson for Schneider? I like the base, but Vancouver needs to add.
Throw in the Hodgson kid and a 1st and I think we have a deal.

Follower of Yzlam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB4Norris View Post
Throw in the Hodgson kid and a 1st and I think we have a deal.
I think we'd have to offer a bit more.

To Tampa Bay: Schneider, Hodgson, 1st
To Vancouver: Roloson, Nagle, Ouellet

restocks their cupboard, as it were.

The thing the other blue and white team does so well is have the ability to overestimate the worth of their players. (see Pogge, Justin)

Let's try that: Riku Helenius is the best player not in the NHL right now. He would automatically be the #1 netminder for at least 20 NHL teams.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 01-10-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:47 PM
BUX7PHX

Coyotes fan here - obviously the question mark for the Lightning is the goalie position, and while we can't offer someone at the moment, we have some goaltenders who will be ready in about 2-3 years. Would one of those goalies and either a 3rd round pick or a steady defenseman be enough to pry Ryan Malone away? Malone appears to have a favorable contract for us, but it all depends on whether you guys would want to wait for a goaile like Domingue or Visentin. Both are solidly performing right now, and I get the feeling that Phoenix will have to decide on one or the other as the "future"....

Just want to see what value would be reasonable for Malone, if he is even available...

Thanks.

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 12:03 AM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUX7PHX View Post
Coyotes fan here - obviously the question mark for the Lightning is the goalie position, and while we can't offer someone at the moment, we have some goaltenders who will be ready in about 2-3 years. Would one of those goalies and either a 3rd round pick or a steady defenseman be enough to pry Ryan Malone away? Malone appears to have a favorable contract for us, but it all depends on whether you guys would want to wait for a goaile like Domingue or Visentin. Both are solidly performing right now, and I get the feeling that Phoenix will have to decide on one or the other as the "future"....

Just want to see what value would be reasonable for Malone, if he is even available...

Thanks.
Most goalies don't hit there stride until about 26 to 30. Schnieder being a good example of this. We have solid goalie prospects right now, just they also need another couple of years to put it together. Though the more I watch of this team this season, the more I'm thinking we should call up TIC and have him back up Garon the rest of the year. Think trading for a goalie prospect isn't exactly a concern at the moment. Though if you want to trade Gormley, I think we will be all ears!

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 03:03 AM
Follower of Yzlam
#FreeDrouin

Yeah, if we're trading for a goalie, we're trading for a #1. And as much as I would like to put Malone on the block (he'd get a pretty nice return), his NMC makes that nigh on impossible.

Old
01-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Yeah, if we're trading for a goalie, we're trading for a #1. And as much as I would like to put Malone on the block (he'd get a pretty nice return), his NMC makes that nigh on impossible.
In the case of Schneider, you don't think Malone would want to play for Vancouver?

If we packaged Roloson and Malone together for Schneider, what would it take to get the deal done? The issue with this deal is that it'd push the Canucks way past the salary cap, and they have less than $75,000 in space as it is.

There's also slim pickings on who they'd be willing to move to free up that space. They don't want to shake up their roster too much, and the guy who sticks out is Keith Ballard, who has a ****** long term contract. Seriously? 6-years/$4.2 million per for Keith Ballard? (5 years remaining)

Getting Schneider out of Vancouver is going to be very tricky without moving futures, or involving a third team.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 01-11-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old
01-11-2012, 06:46 PM
PhysicalGraffiti
Tampa Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
It's for this reason that I sort of don't want to trade Tokarski.

The opportunity to yell "Spoon!" after a big save doesn't happen every day.

Coincidentally, Roloson's battle cry this season has been "Not in the face! Not in the face!".
Haha, yes I would enjoy that greatly.

Lol at Roli.

I'm just so damn frustrated after last season and now seeing that team essentially become invisible. How does this happen?

PhysicalGraffiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 09:19 PM
toob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalGraffiti View Post
Haha, yes I would enjoy that greatly.

Lol at Roli.

I'm just so damn frustrated after last season and now seeing that team essentially become invisible. How does this happen?
i guess you could call it a continuation of game 7 for the team and games 2-6 for Roli

toob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:20 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

What concerns me is the amount of games being wasted with this goalie issue.

If/when SFY does get a guy, we'll have 2-3 games of bliss, followed by another downturn when the guys start thinking that whoever is back there will just stop everything.

To get over that hump may take several more games.

Waiting until the deadline to make a move like this ensures that we aren't going anywhere this year.

A good record in one goal games is not good enough to win the cup. We need to be blowing these guys out, and that's nearly impossible when you have a set of goalies who lets in all these soft, early, and answering goals.

Old
01-13-2012, 09:26 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
What concerns me is the amount of games being wasted with this goalie issue.

If/when SFY does get a guy, we'll have 2-3 games of bliss, followed by another downturn when the guys start thinking that whoever is back there will just stop everything.

To get over that hump may take several more games.

Waiting until the deadline to make a move like this ensures that we aren't going anywhere this year.

A good record in one goal games is not good enough to win the cup. We need to be blowing these guys out, and that's nearly impossible when you have goalies who let in all these answering goals.
We weren't going anywhere this year from November on. It's going to take more than just bringing in a good goalie to solve this. We need defensive help, badly. Not only somebody who is capable of helping Brewer out with top minutes and be responsible in his own zone, but somebody who can move the puck out of the zone and quarterback a PP. MAB is just about worthless at both. Gilroy is trying and is not bad, but he's having to handle way too much.

ThunderAlleyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:35 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
We weren't going anywhere this year from November on. It's going to take more than just bringing in a good goalie to solve this. We need defensive help, badly. Not only somebody who is capable of helping Brewer out with top minutes and be responsible in his own zone, but somebody who can move the puck out of the zone and quarterback a PP. MAB is just about worthless at both. Gilroy is trying and is not bad, but he's having to handle way too much.
But he gets re-signed for two years.

Old
01-13-2012, 09:42 AM
zeykshade

MAB isn't a bad piece to have really. It is just that he's being played above his role like almost everyone else on the D including Roli and Garon. MAB should see PP time and bottom pairing minutes. There are so many missing pieces or deficient pieces, he gets put in positions to fail really. At this point in his career, he's a known commodity really. If you're going to sign him, it's up to those that signed him to put him in a position to succeed.

Entire D is in a position to fail currently. Brewer is being ****ed so hard right now by this as well. He's being overworked and asked to basically be THE entire defense. He's partnered with ****ing Kubina ffs.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:53 AM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

According to Russo the Wild are looking for a scoring forward. They're also deep at D.

Purcell+/- for Harding+/-?

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:55 AM
BoltSTH

IMO we will add no one, and will be sellers at the deadline if the price is right for Downie, Moore, or Purcell.
This is the year for SY to use his draft picks to restock the cupboard.

We will have a lot of cap space with Kubina and Rolston off the books. If Ohlund comes back we have a 3/4 D man, if he can't and retires or LTIR then that is another $3.6m that should get you a 3/4 or near too.

BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
IMO we will add no one, and will be sellers at the deadline if the price is right for Downie, Moore, or Purcell.
This is the year for SY to use his draft picks to restock the cupboard.

We will have a lot of cap space with Kubina and Rolston off the books. If Ohlund comes back we have a 3/4 D man, if he can't and retires or LTIR then that is another $3.6m that should get you a 3/4 or near too.
I agree.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Bolts265

What date is actually the trade deadline?

Bolts265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 03:30 PM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

February 27, 2012 at 3 pm EST.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=603060

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 04:52 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

http://thehockeywriters.com/toronto-...medium=twitter

Guess is that the leafs might be shopping Luke Schenn. Perfect time to bring up the Malone to Toronto rumors

Quote:
With a plethora of quality defensemen in Toronto and the recent return of veteran Mike Komisarek from a broken arm, GM Brian Burke is actively looking to trade on his blue liners for offensive help...Schenn has one goal and 11 assists this season in 41 games with a plus 7, averaging about just over 16 minutes of ice time each game. Last year he played more than 22 minutes each game. He was even a healthy scratch in early November.

In an interview on Sportsnet FAN590’s Prime Time Sports, the Leafs President and General Manager said he intends to remain proactive regarding any possible trades and would prefer to make any changes well in advance of the February 27th trade deadline as he is accustomed to.
Quote:
In the meantime, there have been rumors floating around Philadelphia that the Flyers are looking to bolster their blueline with the loss of Chris Pronger for the remainder of the season and the name of Luke Schenn has been mentioned in several media outlets. The Flyers would send forward James van Riemsdyk in order to reunite Luke with his younger brother Brayden, who’s a rookie this season...To add fuel to the fire, TSN insider Darren Dreger talked about the possibility of such a trade in his daily mailbag citing the Flyers are looking to replace Pronger with steady defensemen such as Tim Gleason or Luke Schenn. Moreover, Dreger expects that Burke will meet Schenn later today about lifting his modified no-trade clause.
Quote:
The other teams rumored to interested in Schenn include the Anaheim Ducks, the Tampa Bay Lightning and the Chicago Blackhawks, but a lot of teams are looking to bolster their blue line before the playoffs.

Old
01-13-2012, 05:08 PM
nhljohnson

Malone to Pittsburgh or Toronto isn't out of the realm of possibilities but the NMC remains a significant obstacle.

Malone and a little sweetener for Schenn would be lovely, indeed, but if the Flyers are indeed willing to part with JVR to unite the Schenn brothers, I can't imagine Burke would pass on that opportunity.

nhljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 05:18 PM
nhljohnson

I would offer Kubina or Clark to Philly as solid alternatives to praying the Predators give up hope on re-signing Suter or acquiring the likes of Schenn or Gleason.

I'd be happy to see a 3rd for either but would settle for less for Clark.

nhljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 07:51 PM
MrMcGz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
http://thehockeywriters.com/toronto-...medium=twitter

Guess is that the leafs might be shopping Luke Schenn. Perfect time to bring up the Malone to Toronto rumors
I'd trade Malone for Schenn in a heartbeat! Get 'er done Stevie!

Also curious to see what people think about Defense in the off season, with Kubina, Clark, and possibly Ohlund returning or retiring.

Do we go after a high profile RD like Weber in trade to partner with Hedman, or sign someone like Suter for big bucks (assuming he makes it to UFA status). Or do we go with 2 or more mid-tier dmen, to slot 4-5 and let Hedman grow into role as num 1 and draft a stud top 5 this year to eventually join him on top pair?

Name your ideal top six defense for next season.

I think in the long run this is more important than a goalie, but I'd be willing to part with Connolly, Panik or Ashton + to get Schneider. Ideally we'd get rid of Malone+ to acquire Schneider, but not really feasible. These 1st-2nd line FWDs get redundant especially since Boucher doesn't really distinguished c/w positions. That dude (Schneider) is the real deal. We had over 20 scoring chances against him the other night and while giving up four goals, he still stood on his head for Vancouver and got the win.

Last edited by MrMcGz: 01-13-2012 at 08:03 PM.
MrMcGz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 09:24 PM
Follower of Yzlam
#FreeDrouin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcGz View Post
I'd trade Malone for Schenn in a heartbeat! Get 'er done Stevie!

Also curious to see what people think about Defense in the off season, with Kubina, Clark, and possibly Ohlund returning or retiring.

Do we go after a high profile RD like Weber in trade to partner with Hedman, or sign someone like Suter for big bucks (assuming he makes it to UFA status). Or do we go with 2 or more mid-tier dmen, to slot 4-5 and let Hedman grow into role as num 1 and draft a stud top 5 this year to eventually join him on top pair?

Name your ideal top six defense for next season.

I think in the long run this is more important than a goalie, but I'd be willing to part with Connolly, Panik or Ashton + to get Schneider. Ideally we'd get rid of Malone+ to acquire Schneider, but not really feasible. These 1st-2nd line FWDs get redundant especially since Boucher doesn't really distinguished c/w positions. That dude (Schneider) is the real deal. We had over 20 scoring chances against him the other night and while giving up four goals, he still stood on his head for Vancouver and got the win.
Hell no on Connolly for Schneider. Hell no.

Old
01-14-2012, 12:52 AM
MrMcGz

Quote:
Hell no on Connolly for Schneider. Hell no.
Why? I understand the argument, just playing a little devil's advocate here. Is it because he was a 6th overall pick or that you think his value is that much higher than Schneider or that Schneider is not worth that high of a pick or talent wise?

MrMcGz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:20 AM
BoltSTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcGz View Post
Why? I understand the argument, just playing a little devil's advocate here. Is it because he was a 6th overall pick or that you think his value is that much higher than Schneider or that Schneider is not worth that high of a pick or talent wise?
Connolly could have gone in the top 2 but for his hip injury. SY had exactly the same injury and knew it was just a matter of rehab to get back to 100%. He could be the steal of the draft.

Trading for goalies is always problematic. Remember March Denis? he put up OK numbers for CBJ and we traded Modin for him; that worked out well.

I would rather give Tokarski a shot before we seek outside of the organization.

BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 02:47 AM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
Connolly could have gone in the top 2 but for his hip injury. SY had exactly the same injury and knew it was just a matter of rehab to get back to 100%. He could be the steal of the draft.

Trading for goalies is always problematic. Remember March Denis? he put up OK numbers for CBJ and we traded Modin for him; that worked out well.

I would rather give Tokarski a shot before we seek outside of the organization.
We dont have that kind of time. He wont be ready for another couple of years. BUT think of it like this. We trade for someone like Schneider, enjoy the benefits of that, and when Tokarski IS ready, we have a situation like a few teams right now of two great goalies and we have the luxury of moving one for a lot of assets if we see the need.

Where do we go from here?

Basically Yzerman should be getting out the garage sale stickers and marking prices on players heads and getting ready to sell sell sell at the deadline. Anyone but the usual suspects should be available and I think we can collect maybe a couple of 2nds and a couple of 3rds and maybe a couple of solid prospects as well for the players we can trade away.

Then Yzerman should be getting ready for the draft. Pull off at least two trades at the draft that include some of the assets we currently have and some that we will get at the deadline. Get a starting goalie, get a top 4 dman. Use the top 5 pick we will have to get a freaking top flight blue chip defenseman prospect that we can pair with Hedman for the next 20 years.

Then Yzerman should be looking at resigning our own UFA/RFA as he sees fit.

Then after that Yzerman should be getting ready for UFA period in which he should be looking to sign another top 4 dman, maybe a 2nd/3rd line tweener, and an energy guy to fill in on the 3rd/4th lines.

Then maybe he can take a two day break, and then back to work on getting any late UFA period steals or possible trade fleecings.

Then sit back and relax as the team he put together dominates the league.

St Louis-Stamkos-Downie
Purcell-Lecavalier-Malone
Moen-Moore*-Ashton
Pyatt-Thompson-Tyrell

Suter-Hedman
Brewer-Carle
Gilroy-Mikkelsson
MAB

Schneider
Garon

*: I have us trading Moore but Moore coming back in the offseason. I think its a good possibility that happens honestly.

Bring up Ashton.
Sign Suter, Carle, Moen in UFA.
Resign Gilroy, Mikkelsson, Moore, Downie
Trade for Schneider, possibly Suters rights to sign him before the frenzy.

Ok I did my job for the offseason. Someone relay this to SFY please.

IdealisticSniper is online now   Reply With Quote