HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Where do we go from here?

Old
01-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Tokala

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord6 View Post
Meh. D-bag opening.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ings-woes.html

What do ya'll think? Nothing new here imho.
It's Ken Campbell and he's a full blown ****tard. Besides, he hates hockey in the south.

Tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:23 PM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokala View Post
It's Ken Campbell and he's a full blown ****tard. Besides, he hates hockey in the south.
Exactly. He was the one who told everyone to cheer against the Lightning last year. He's always hated us and he's always made up junk about Lecavalier leaving.

Last edited by TheDaysOf 04: 01-16-2012 at 02:29 PM.
TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:29 PM
sonny side up

Seriously? Fire Guy? I can two ways he would leave Tampa. 1) After two consecutive lotto pick seasons in which we just sucked, not many injuries, we just straight up sucked. and 2) He chooses to leave. But seeing how he really likes it here, I doubt number 2 will happen.

sonny side up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

If Yzerman or Guy get fired I quit from this team

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
Ken Campbell reported that Jeff Vinik would not purchase the Lightning unless Lecavalier was traded...

01-16-2012, 03:41 PM
zeykshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickov View Post
Ken Campbell reported that Jeff Vinik would not purchase the Lightning unless Lecavalier was traded...
LMFAO. Shouldn't he be one of those filtered names / websites then? HFBoards should just censor anything linked that references him

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:01 PM
snowden
Man is matter

Can we trade for Randy Jones? Our D has been awful since he left in FA...

snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:08 PM
dbieon12
Stamkos HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
Can we trade for Randy Jones? Our D has been awful since he left in FA...
We need an NRG player. NEW RAPID GROWTH. NRG. ENERGY. WE NEED ENERGY.

Lost Bergenheim.

This team is 15th in the conference. What a joke. Looks like Bergenheim picked right. Gets to stay in the state, gets paid more. Oh and as of now he'll be skating in the playoffs.

#frustratedbythelackofprogressorany****ingattempta timprovingtheteam

dbieon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:15 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhljohnson View Post
Great take.

How would you feel about the Bolts' blueline if, in addition to re-signing Gilroy, Yzerman signed, say, Tim Gleason and Johnny Boychuk?

Boychuk-Hedman
Gleason-Brewer
Gilroy-Bergeron
Ohlund*
That looks pretty good to me. I think as Hedman continues to grow he'd be best suited on a pair with Brewer while Gleason and Boychuk would be a pairing, but that defense overall is a hell of a lot better than what we have now. However, I think we may be in a position to do even better than that.

According to capgeek, we will have 19,036,417 in cap space after this season, and that's assuming we still take on Ohlund's cap hit. The following players are UFA's: Moore, Shannon, Hall, Kubina, Clark, Gilroy, Gervais, and Roloson. Our three RFA's are Downie, Mikkelson, and Wyman.

That's 11 openings, and I'd say Downie and Gilroy are most likely to re-sign. Wyman has looked good in his brief NHL stint and it's good having a player like him in the system, so I believe he will be back as well. Moore has been very good for us as a 3rd line center, but in my opinion we should shop him around the deadline, as he has historically been a hot commodity around that time. If we get the chance to go after him again in the offseason I certainly wouldn't be opposed to having him back. Players like Clark, Shannon and Kubina could also appeal to teams looking for some depth, and I'd expect at least one of them to be dealt as well.

As far as I know we have all of our picks plus Philly's 2nd in the upcoming draft. We'll likely be able to land at least a couple more, and depending on who we deal, I wouldn't be shocked if we landed another 2nd (Moore?). Right now it looks like we will have a high pick to begin with, and trading upcoming free agents for picks won't hurt that. So, when you factor in the extra selections we will probably have, Yzerman and company will not only be in a great position to continue to build through the draft, but will have some extra toys to play with should the right deal come along in the offseason, particularly for a goalie.

Replacing all of those free agents is where the cap space comes in. While I'd expect Downie and Wyman to re-sign for not too much more than what they make now, we will have a bunch of holes that can't all be filled by players already in the system. Ashton is virtually a lock to make the team, and players like Conacher and Panik could make a push as well. However, if Moore should be dealt we'll be missing a 3rd line center unless we re-acquired him in the offseason. Sami Pahlsson could be a fit if he ends up reaching the market, and there are other options available as well. The big money, however, will be spent on the defense.

Here's a list of upcoming UFA blueliners: http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php?y...D&fa_type_id=2

There are several names that jump out to me, the most notable being Suter and Gleason. I wouldn't even go so far as to root out signing both of them, but that might be cutting it pretty close and some other things would have to fall into place in order for it to happen. I do think that getting one or the other is a very realistic possibility, and we will still have plenty of space left after that. It will also depend on the club's plans for Ohlund and Bergeron that will impact how many defensemen we pursue, but I'd be willing to bet we land at least two new solid blueliners before the start of next season.

The goaltending is obviously another huge issue, and the FA class at that position is pretty weak. Here's the list : http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php?y...G&fa_type_id=2

If we could land Harding that would be ideal. He is more proven than the likes of Schneider and Bernier and best of all, he won't cost us key assets! Just imagine being able to keep all of our best offensive forwards, top prospects and picks while being able to address our needs in net and on the blueline through free agency. Obviously we won't be spending right up to the cap, but there will be plenty of room for Yzerman to get a lot done.

I won't rule out an offseason trade where we could end up seeing a top 6 forward dealt along with a pick or two if something really intriguing arises, but we may just be fine without having to do that. I am all capgeek'd out for now, but in the coming days I think it would be fun for all of us to fix up some "fantasy" rosters for next year and see how realistic they are.

And last but not least, if Harding isn't available, there's always Dan Ellis.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 05:32 PM
ultra63

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
That looks pretty good to me. I think as Hedman continues to grow he'd be best suited on a pair with Brewer while Gleason and Boychuk would be a pairing, but that defense overall is a hell of a lot better than what we have now. However, I think we may be in a position to do even better than that.

According to capgeek, we will have 19,036,417 in cap space after this season, and that's assuming we still take on Ohlund's cap hit. The following players are UFA's: Moore, Shannon, Hall, Kubina, Clark, Gilroy, Gervais, and Roloson. Our three RFA's are Downie, Mikkelson, and Wyman.

That's 11 openings, and I'd say Downie and Gilroy are most likely to re-sign. Wyman has looked good in his brief NHL stint and it's good having a player like him in the system, so I believe he will be back as well. Moore has been very good for us as a 3rd line center, but in my opinion we should shop him around the deadline, as he has historically been a hot commodity around that time. If we get the chance to go after him again in the offseason I certainly wouldn't be opposed to having him back. Players like Clark, Shannon and Kubina could also appeal to teams looking for some depth, and I'd expect at least one of them to be dealt as well.

As far as I know we have all of our picks plus Philly's 2nd in the upcoming draft. We'll likely be able to land at least a couple more, and depending on who we deal, I wouldn't be shocked if we landed another 2nd (Moore?). Right now it looks like we will have a high pick to begin with, and trading upcoming free agents for picks won't hurt that. So, when you factor in the extra selections we will probably have, Yzerman and company will not only be in a great position to continue to build through the draft, but will have some extra toys to play with should the right deal come along in the offseason, particularly for a goalie.

Replacing all of those free agents is where the cap space comes in. While I'd expect Downie and Wyman to re-sign for not too much more than what they make now, we will have a bunch of holes that can't all be filled by players already in the system. Ashton is virtually a lock to make the team, and players like Conacher and Panik could make a push as well. However, if Moore should be dealt we'll be missing a 3rd line center unless we re-acquired him in the offseason. Sami Pahlsson could be a fit if he ends up reaching the market, and there are other options available as well. The big money, however, will be spent on the defense.

Here's a list of upcoming UFA blueliners: http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php?y...D&fa_type_id=2

There are several names that jump out to me, the most notable being Suter and Gleason. I wouldn't even go so far as to root out signing both of them, but that might be cutting it pretty close and some other things would have to fall into place in order for it to happen. I do think that getting one or the other is a very realistic possibility, and we will still have plenty of space left after that. It will also depend on the club's plans for Ohlund and Bergeron that will impact how many defensemen we pursue, but I'd be willing to bet we land at least two new solid blueliners before the start of next season.

The goaltending is obviously another huge issue, and the FA class at that position is pretty weak. Here's the list : http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php?y...G&fa_type_id=2

If we could land Harding that would be ideal. He is more proven than the likes of Schneider and Bernier and best of all, he won't cost us key assets! Just imagine being able to keep all of our best offensive forwards, top prospects and picks while being able to address our needs in net and on the blueline through free agency. Obviously we won't be spending right up to the cap, but there will be plenty of room for Yzerman to get a lot done.

I won't rule out an offseason trade where we could end up seeing a top 6 forward dealt along with a pick or two if something really intriguing arises, but we may just be fine without having to do that. I am all capgeek'd out for now, but in the coming days I think it would be fun for all of us to fix up some "fantasy" rosters for next year and see how realistic they are.

And last but not least, if Harding isn't available, there's always Dan Ellis.
there's always Dan Ellis. You forgot the

ultra63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 06:24 PM
chasespace

I'd rather bring in Biron if Harding can't be had. Was a #1 most of his time in the NHL until he went to the Rangers, still plays good.

chasespace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 07:40 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra63 View Post
there's always Dan Ellis. You forgot the
I didn't feel it was necessary.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 08:24 PM
snowden
Man is matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
I'd rather bring in Biron if Harding can't be had. Was a #1 most of his time in the NHL until he went to the Rangers, still plays good.
You're like FP with his love of Turco. Please no Biron here unless he's a backup which would be pointless. We don't need another Smellis/Garon/old Roloson stop gap. We need a goalie that can come in and be an actual #1. I don't see that in Biron.

Old
01-16-2012, 08:25 PM
MrMcGz

Cedrick Desjardins seems to be all healed up and doing well, any chance we could unload a mid round pick to get him back in the organization?

MrMcGz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 08:36 PM
snowden
Man is matter

No, I don't see SFY doing that. Where would he fit in? We'd have to move Roloson and I don't see that happening at all. If we did, would we really roll with CD and Garon as our tandem? Putting him back in Norfolk would disrupt the growth of Janus and Tik and we have Nagle in Estero already.

Old
01-16-2012, 08:40 PM
MrMcGz

Yes, get rid of Roloson and go with Desjardins.

We can't do much worse, and it would create some healthy competition with Tokarski when Garon's contract is up next year.

Last edited by MrMcGz: 01-16-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old
01-16-2012, 10:08 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

What is Desjardins contract status anyways? 1 year?

Guy isn't going anywhere. SY isn't going anywhere. This is all ****.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:15 PM
MrMcGz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
What is Desjardins contract status anyways? 1 year?

Guy isn't going anywhere. SY isn't going anywhere. This is all ****.
He's buried on Colorado's depth chart for 1 yr and will be an RFA this summer. Shouldn't be too hard to get him back if SY wanted too. At least he has familiarity with Boucher's defensive system from Hamilton and could be had cheap.

I'd personally love for Helenius to get his **** together and come back over. He's been playing extremely well in Europe, but I have no idea the level of competition in that league.

You can never have too many good goalie prospects.

Old
01-16-2012, 10:17 PM
IdealisticSniper

http://fireguyboucher.com/

IdealisticSniper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 06:26 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Desjardins was on waivers a few weeks ago.

Keep in mind he only played 2 games for us.

I'm not in love with bringing Turco in, but I only suggest it as a way to replace the band-aid that's already fallen off. I grew less impressed with him as those tournaments wore on, but I still think he'd probably be better than Roloson.

We do need a guy who can step in and be the functional #1, to take that pressure off of Garon. That's where Turco doesn't clearly provide an answer, especially since if we do get Turco, we become locked in to him, and then we possibly have 3 leaky goalies.

Something must be done, or this season goes in the books as perhaps the biggest disappointment in the team's history. At least call up Tokarski. Some of us will complain that it's throwing him to the wolves, but it's not, as the Wolves are in the AHL.

Alternatively, I vote that we panic.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 01-17-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Felonious Python is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:25 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I vote we Panik as well.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:37 AM
toob

Vinny has produced quite consistently for a pretty long stretch now
very good for a 3rd line center

toob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Benders Lindyhop

BP had this posted on their site. Not sure where this should go, but Duemig interview with Leiweke last night. Some good behind the scenes stuff with scouting staff upgrades and so on.

Also quite terrifying to hear Leiweke kind of hint at how close we were to losing this team. He doesn't actually say so, but the implication is pretty heavy.

http://www.620wdae.com/player/?stati...l&mid=21736916

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:04 AM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

Quote:
Originally Posted by toob View Post
Vinny has produced quite consistently for a pretty long stretch now
very good for a 3rd line center
The past 2 seasons, he's been a better 2nd half player, so he might only get hotter.

Stammer and Vinny make quite the 1-2 punch down the middle. No duo has more goals combined than them.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:19 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
BP had this posted on their site. Not sure where this should go, but Duemig interview with Leiweke last night. Some good behind the scenes stuff with scouting staff upgrades and so on.

Also quite terrifying to hear Leiweke kind of hint at how close we were to losing this team. He doesn't actually say so, but the implication is pretty heavy.

http://www.620wdae.com/player/?stati...l&mid=21736916
Nice interview. I like how he talks about Vinik, Yzerman, Al Murray and the scouting staff. TV ratings are up 60%? Wow.

He's also saying that they want Yzerman and his actions to be more present in the media / to the fans. I like that.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote