HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Where do we go from here?

Old
03-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
I honestly think we're a good goaltender and a top pair/top-4 tweener Dman away from being contenders. With our draft picks we can restock the cupboards and use them as money to fill out our depth, and then...

Maybe the next decade and a half will be Lightning dominance? I can only hope.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
I have a strong feeling Yzerman already knows the price for Schneider. And is willing to pay it.

Then just needs to find a top 4, preferably top 2 dman through trade or FA, and then fill in the gaps.
Agreed. SFY and Gillis are both smart guys, I'm sure a deal has basically been agreed on baring a catastrophic injury to Schneider. It would also explain why Yzerman showed no interest in Bishop despite having the firepower to easily beat Ottawa's offer.

At this point I will be truly surprised if we haven't acquired Schneider on draft night if not right after the finals are over.

Going Back to Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 09:52 PM
I Am Beat You

vCash: 500
Any guesses regarding our forward group next year?

Stamkos
St.Louis
Purcell
Malone
Lecavalier
Thompson
Pyatt
Tyrell
Connolly?
Wyman?
Conacher?
Killorn?

It seemed like Connolly was destined for a season in the AHL, but his recent play suggests he may not need to spend time there. Wyman has been decent but I view him as more of a "tweener" who could fill in for injured players if necessary. Conacher and Killorn may have a shot to make the team out of camp, but the organization probably will prefer they continue their development in the AHL (especially Killorn). Even Tyrell didn't make this season's opening roster, and coming off an injury he may not be a lock.

I doubt we re-sign guys like Wallace or Segal for the purpose of them being with the big club full time, but perhaps one or both is kept for depth/insurance. Shannon has been a disappointment and I'd be a little surprised if he's back. Hall is a hard worker and good faceoff man but I think we can do better, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets re-signed. Then there are guys like Labrie and Angelidis (should he be re-signed) that could make a push, but I think the chances of either making the roster are fairly slim.

It looks like we'll have at least a hole or two on offense to fill via free agency or trade, and possibly pursue a top six forward. There are some intriguing names out there, and a bunch of solid bottom six guys as well.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:32 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
Any guesses regarding our forward group next year?

Stamkos
St.Louis
Purcell
Malone
Lecavalier
Thompson
Pyatt
Tyrell
Connolly?
Wyman?
Conacher?
Killorn?

It seemed like Connolly was destined for a season in the AHL, but his recent play suggests he may not need to spend time there. Wyman has been decent but I view him as more of a "tweener" who could fill in for injured players if necessary. Conacher and Killorn may have a shot to make the team out of camp, but the organization probably will prefer they continue their development in the AHL (especially Killorn). Even Tyrell didn't make this season's opening roster, and coming off an injury he may not be a lock.

I doubt we re-sign guys like Wallace or Segal for the purpose of them being with the big club full time, but perhaps one or both is kept for depth/insurance. Shannon has been a disappointment and I'd be a little surprised if he's back. Hall is a hard worker and good faceoff man but I think we can do better, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets re-signed. Then there are guys like Labrie and Angelidis (should he be re-signed) that could make a push, but I think the chances of either making the roster are fairly slim.

It looks like we'll have at least a hole or two on offense to fill via free agency or trade, and possibly pursue a top six forward. There are some intriguing names out there, and a bunch of solid bottom six guys as well.
Nice analysis on our current group of forwards. I see our top 6 being Stamkos, St.Louis, Lecavalier, Purcell, Connolly and Malone. Thompson, Tyrell, Hall and Pyatt should all be back for the bottom 6 granted the latter two do not have extravagant salary demands. IMO, the third line will see the most change with 1 or 2 holes needing to be filled if potential call-ups are not ready for full-time duty (3rd line center and 3rd line RW). David Moss and Paul Gaustad are the most intriguing names and I believe Gaustad would slot into our system quite nicely and make up for some of the grit/toughness we are missing from Downie.

Offseason priority will most likely be: #1 goaltender, top 4 defenseman (maybe Barberio/Gudas is ready?), 3rd line center, 3rd line winger who can also play 2nd line minutes if needed. I really want one of Schneider or Bernier as our future #1 for years to come, but the price has to be right.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:32 AM
Bolt32

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Ted Purcell ($2.362m) / Steven Stamkos ($7.500m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Ryan Malone ($4.500m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($7.727m) / Cory Conacher ($0.871m)
Dana Tyrell ($0.600m) / Tyler Johnson ($0.900m) / Brett Connolly ($1.633m)
J.T. Wyman ($0.525m) / Nate Thompson ($0.900m) / Tom Pyatt ($0.600m)
/ Pierre-Cedric Labrie ($0.525m)

DEFENSEMEN
Victor Hedman ($4.000m) / Eric Brewer ($3.850m)
Brendan Mikkelson ($0.721m) / Brian Lee ($1.575m)
Mark Barberio ($0.580m) / Keith Aulie ($0.733m)
Marc-Andre Bergeron ($1.000m) / Mike Commodore ($1.000m)

GOALTENDERS
Mathieu Garon ($1.300m) / Riku Helenius ($0.975m)

BUYOUTS: Vaclav Prospal ($1.166m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $51,171,231; BONUSES: $910,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $13,128,769

I wouldn't mind this. Sign Riku Helenius over sea's, see if he can hack it. Call up Tyler Johnson to center our third line, have Conacher to fill up our remaining top 6 spot while being mentored by St.Louis

The Johnson, Connolly and Tyrell line would be one fast as hell line, if chemistry developed it could turn out to be a 2/B line.

Call up Barberio to go on our third pair, essientially to replace Bergeron. The guy the way he is tearing up the AHL has little left to learn there, and we can use a puck mover back there. Give Lee and Mikkelson a chance to have top 4 roles and see how they do.

This would make us alot younger, seems to be more talented and a higher ceiling than the team we have now. Granted we are rolling the dice a little bit, but with 15 million in capspace with this club, we won't exactly be cash strapped to find a solution later on.

Flame away guys

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:51 AM
JetsAlternate

Seen Stamkos?

JetsAlternate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:07 AM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS

I wouldn't mind this. Sign Riku Helenius over sea's, see if he can hack it. Call up Tyler Johnson to center our third line, have Conacher to fill up our remaining top 6 spot while being mentored by St.Louis

The Johnson, Connolly and Tyrell line would be one fast as hell line, if chemistry developed it could turn out to be a 2/B line.

Call up Barberio to go on our third pair, essientially to replace Bergeron. The guy the way he is tearing up the AHL has little left to learn there, and we can use a puck mover back there. Give Lee and Mikkelson a chance to have top 4 roles and see how they do.

This would make us alot younger, seems to be more talented and a higher ceiling than the team we have now. Granted we are rolling the dice a little bit, but with 15 million in capspace with this club, we won't exactly be cash strapped to find a solution later on.

Flame away guys
I highly doubt Johnson makes the team, and Conacher would be a bit of a surprise too. If Connolly can keep up the way he's playing right now I could see him being a regular for us next season.

If we ice a team anything like the above roster I'd be hugely disappointed. It doesn't show improvement at any position from where we are now. Plus, we'll have enough assets and cap space to take care of some glaring weaknesses, and I can guarantee you we add at least one defenseman.

Here's a link to the list of available free agent forwards. There are lots of guys that could fit in nicely. http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php?y...F&fa_type_id=2

If we end up dealing for Schenider I wouldn't be shocked if Mason Raymond were involved as. If we could land him, Yzerman will have killed two birds with one stone. Raymond is fast, good defensively, and has the ability to be an effective top six forward. Since he's an RFA we'd likely get him signed to a reasonable contract as well. I agree with those suggesting Yzerman has a plan to acquire a goalie in the offseason. He has piled up picks and didn't seem to think Ben Bishop is a viable option. I like Josh Harding but I doubt Yzerman wants much to do with a bidding war for his services. Schneider and Bernier seem to be the most likely candidates if we go the trade route, so we'll have to wait and see.

Also, while our D has gotten bigger and more physical, I'd really ike to see us add some toughness. There are plenty of effective players on the market that are willing to get their noses dirty (guys like Gaustad, Moen, Tootoo, Campbell, Asham, Glass etc.), and I really think we could use that type of presence on our bottom six. I expect a few of those players to re-sign, but it would be nice to add a gritty guy that can play the game as well. Taylor Pyatt, brother of Tom, is also an upcoming UFA. I have no idea how likely he is to stay with the Coyotes, but perhaps we'll have interest in him as he's another good 3rd-4th liner.

Last edited by I Am Beat You: 03-05-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old
03-05-2012, 02:09 AM
UnicornsRock

Quote:

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS

Flame away guys
Nice team

Would like to see a veteran C on that third line and an upgrade to the D (ie Suter) though

UnicornsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:39 AM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicornsRock View Post
Nice team

Would like to see a veteran C on that third line and an upgrade to the D (ie Suter) though
Yeah Tyler Johnson is more of a dark horse for the third line, what can I say, have a man crush on the kid

Old
03-05-2012, 02:53 AM
Bolt32

Quote:
I highly doubt Johnson makes the team, and Conacher would be a bit of a surprise too. If Connolly can keep up the way he's playing right now I could see him being a regular for us next season.

If we ice a team anything like the above roster I'd be hugely disappointed. It doesn't show improvement at any position from where we are now. Plus, we'll have enough assets and cap space to take care of some glaring weaknesses, and I can guarantee you we add at least one defenseman.

Here's a link to the list of available free agent forwards. There are lots of guys that could fit in nicely. http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php?y...F&fa_type_id=2

If we end up dealing for Schenider I wouldn't be shocked if Mason Raymond were involved as. If we could land him, Yzerman will have killed two birds with one stone. Raymond is fast, good defensively, and has the ability to be an effective top six forward. Since he's an RFA we'd likely get him signed to a reasonable contract as well. I agree with those suggesting Yzerman has a plan to acquire a goalie in the offseason. He has piled up picks and didn't seem to think Ben Bishop is a viable option. I like Josh Harding but I doubt Yzerman wants much to do with a bidding war for his services. Schneider and Bernier seem to be the most likely candidates if we go the trade route, so we'll have to wait and see.

Also, while our D has gotten bigger and more physical, I'd really ike to see us add some toughness. There are plenty of effective players on the market that are willing to get their noses dirty (guys like Gaustad, Moen, Tootoo, Campbell, Asham, Glass etc.), and I really think we could use that type of presence on our bottom six. I expect a few of those players to re-sign, but it would be nice to add a gritty guy that can play the game as well. Taylor Pyatt, brother of Tom, is also an upcoming UFA. I have no idea how likely he is to stay with the Coyotes, but perhaps we'll have interest in him as he's another good 3rd-4th liner.

I agree full heartedly that we will target at least a couple of defensemen. Bringing in a guy like Suter would solve a lot of problems. I'm still nervous though from the asking price of someone like a Bernier or a Schneider. If the value of those said goalies are what Canucks fan's think it is, I want to stay as far away as possible. Its not worth it in my mind.

Old
03-05-2012, 02:57 AM
VanTampaFan

Quote:

Agreed on most points. I don't really want Raymond on the bolts tho. Really sick of watching his useless play in vancity.

It would be unreal if SFY could land a guy like Suter

VanTampaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:53 AM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by killabee88 View Post
Agreed on most points. I don't really want Raymond on the bolts tho. Really sick of watching his useless play in vancity.

It would be unreal if SFY could land a guy like Suter
I'm not exactly a fan of Raymond, but considering the fact that the pricetags may get a little high for free agents of that caliber, maybe Yzerman would kick the tires on him. Just wanted to throw it out there.

Old
03-05-2012, 05:57 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

FORWARDS
Ryan Malone ($4.500m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($7.727m) / David Jones ($2.500m)
Daniel Winnik ($1.250m) / Nate Thompson ($0.900m) / Tom Pyatt ($0.600m)
Dana Tyrell ($0.600m) / Samuel Pahlsson ($2.250m) / Cory Conacher ($0.871m)

DEFENSEMEN
Victor Hedman ($4.000m) / Dennis Wideman ($4.200m)
Brian Lee ($1.100m) / Eric Brewer ($3.850m)
Keith Aulie ($0.800m) / Brendan Mikkelson ($0.900m)
Evan Oberg ($1.200m) / Marc-Andre Bergeron ($1.000m)

GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($3.500m) / Mathieu Garon ($1.300m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,702,690; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $4,597,309

What do you think of this one guys?
This is considering we trade Connolly for Schneider

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:29 AM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS

Decent lineup. Having Wideman would be a very interesting situation on our blueline. Good pick up. Why no Barberio though? He is 12th in points in the AHL. Not much more for him to learn at that level. He is making the AHL his ***** right now.

Old
03-05-2012, 07:34 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
Decent lineup. Having Wideman would be a very interesting situation on our blueline. Good pick up. Why no Barberio though? He is 12th in points in the AHL. Not much more for him to learn at that level. He is making the AHL his ***** right now.
I didn't know where to slot him... didn't want to put him as 7th/8th

Old
03-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS

I don't really like this roster that much.

There's too much risk with the group of forwards listed, too many top 9 guys playing in the top 6, and an overpayed 4th line center in Sami Paulsson.

It's just plugging the holes on the current roster, instead of replenishing it.

There's also zero depth in a roster like that when injuries arise (and you know Malone will), unless we've got Adam Hall and Dominic Moore playing in Norfolk.

The forwards we had this year have been fine. Another top-six player would be nice, but everyone wants one of those.

We're getting energy out of the DNA line, when they're together, and there's little reason to go and break that up.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 03-05-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
I don't really like this roster that much.

There's too much risk with the group of forwards listed, too many top 9 guys playing in the top 6, and an overpayed 4th line center in Sami Paulsson.

It's just plugging the holes on the current roster, instead of replenishing it.

There's also zero depth in a roster like that when injuries arise (and you know Malone will), unless we've got Adam Hall and Dominic Moore playing in Norfolk.

The forwards we had this year have been fine. Another top-six player would be nice, but everyone wants one of those.

We're getting energy out of the DNA line, when they're together, and there's little reason to go and break that up.
The forwards this year have not been fine, come on, we've played with half of Norfolk's offense for nearly half of the season.

Old
03-05-2012, 09:18 AM
I Am Beat You

The DNA line overachieved last year and they don't provide much offense. The chemistry is there, but I think we need some more skill in our bottom six. Most teams have their own version of this line, it's nothing too special. I'm not really even opposed to it as they have been solid for us in the past, but if we do opt to keep Hall I'd hope to see some offensive upgrades elsewhere in the lineup.

Old
03-05-2012, 10:56 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
If we're looking to bolster our top-6, Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau is a pending UFA.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:58 AM
I Am Beat You

I think Parenteau stays an Isle.

Old
03-05-2012, 11:14 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
If we're looking to bolster our top-6, Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau is a pending UFA.
Hes intriguing, but should come with a big warning label. Here, he'd be a 2-3 liner getting maybe 15 minutes a night which is is about a 4 minute difference from his ATOI/G this year (just under 19 for those of you who suck at math).

Its kind of hard to say what he is at this point, though - the point totals tell one story but his 143 shots would be fourth behind Stamkos, Lecavalier, St. Louis (in that order), and ahead of Purcell, Malone (also in that order, which is crazy as I never expected Malone to have that many shots given how much time he has missed).

I think he'd be a fun third line gamble to take, with 90 hits too. Decent size. Great hands. Have a feeling he'd be too expensive though.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:48 AM
JFleegs

I think wyman definitely deserves a chance to make the roster next year. He's played great on the pk this year and looks very responsible defensively. Hes also always hustling out there, keeping the puck deep and causing turn overs.

Agree on adding some sand paper on the bottom six. Too too would be awesome haha but hes most likely staying in Nash. Anything short of Bernier of Schneider would be disappointing. Although I do wonder if SFY is interested in a guy over in Europe like Fasth. This will save some of those drafts picks to use on a goalie for the future.

JFleegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:54 AM
chasespace

I think Labrie can easily fill in on the bottom-6 and add toughness. If Ohlund retires or is bought out and Commodore is let go I can see Gudas making the team. He would also add toughness and he's a great stay-at-home defender

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:14 PM
chasespace

If Schneider's and Bernier's price tags become too extravagant for Yzerman's tastes here are 3 goalies playing in Sweden worth a look.

Viktor Fasth http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=5147 (Supposedly Ducks are making a push for him)

Joacim Eriksson http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=9784 (Flyers let his rights expire and he has been beasting in the SEL this season, only 21 as well. Unsure if he can step in as a #1 right now or would need to season as a backup)

Julius Hudacek http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15184 (Playing in Allsvenskan, 25, put up freaky numbers in Slovakia and is continuing that in Sweden)

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Based on the 3 games I've seen I wouldn't mind if we brought Commodore back next year. He's nothing fancy but he's not trying to be either. Keeps it real simple and stays around the net. He's been the only one that's been pushing guys out the crease from what I've seen. Something we desperately lack since Garon isn't exactly strong in making saves through traffic.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote