HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Where do we go from here?

Old
03-22-2012, 11:53 AM
BoltSTH

vCash: 500
To (mis)quote LZ

Been Dazed and Confused for so long it's not true.
Wanted a goalie, never bargained for you.
Lots of people talk and few of them know,
soul of a goalie was created below.

BoltSTH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 05:21 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Not sure what thread would be best to put this, but I felt like doing some speculation on what the lines might look like next season.

-----
Looking at current roster I would guess:

Purcell - Stamkos - St. Louis
Malone - Lecavalier - Connolly
Pyatt - Thompson - Wyman
Hall - Tyrell - (Smith)

Hedman - Brewer
Lee - Mikkelson
Aulie - Gervais
(Bergeron)

Garon
Tokarski

-Missing players
Brett Clark - 35yr old at the end of his contract with plenty of younger players who can play the same role better (bottom pairing Dman).

Mike Commodore - I actually like Commodore a lot, but I think it comes down to either Gervais or him and I think Gervais mobility is what makes the difference.

Mattias Ohlund - I'm sure he wants to come back and play, but from what I understand, the surgery he had is more of a "hopefully I can walk without pain" and not a "hopefully I can play hockey in the NHL" type surgery.

Ryan Shannon - He's had a tough year because of injuries, but even his healthy games weren't all that great. I think the bolts do offer him a contract, but it'll be a 2way one were he'll spend most of the season in the AHL.

Roloson - I don't need to explain why he won't be back do I?

-Added players
Although technically not new players, I think both Bergeron and Tyrell will earn their spots back on the roster when they return from their injuries.

-----
After Hypothetical trades, FA signings, and training camp:

Purcell - Stamkos - St. Louis
Malone - Lecavalier - Connolly
Pyatt - (new #3 center) - Wyman
Hall - Thompson - (Tyrell)

Hedman - (New top 4 Dman)
Brewer - Aulie
Lee - Mikkelson
(Bergeron)

(New #1 Goalie)
Garon

-Added players
#1 Goalie - Cory Schneider is most certainly the obvious choice here, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Yzerman go after someone else if the price is too high. Who ever it is though is almost guaranteed to be a true #1 goalie.

Top 4 Dman - I know many bolts fans have their eyes set on Ryan Suter but I don't see that happening. He'll have his pick of whatever team he wants, and will likely get a huge contract. I think another guy like Eric Brewer is the most likely possibility.

#3 Center - Dominic Moore was a very good #3 center. He was a good skater, killed penalties well, played a smart defensive game, wasn't terrible in the face-off circle, and had serviceable offensive skills. Picking up another guy like him really helps with secondary scoring and also helps defensively (2 things the Lightning really needed help on this year).

-Significant roster spot moves
Keith Aulie - He has the potential to easily be a solid top 4 Dman. He is a big guy, he skates well, and he has good hockey sense. He is a little raw right now, but I think he will have a good camp and make a really good #2 pairing with Eric Brewer.

-Missing players from previous roster
Bruno Gervais - The addition of a new top 4 Dman means another dman gets bumped. Although I think Gervais is better defensively than Bergeron, Bergeron is much better offensively.

Trevor Smith - Basically the same situation as Gervais.

Dustin Tokarski - Garon becomes the backup once we get a true #1 goaltender which would bump Tic back to the AHL for at least another season.

-----
Obviously I haven't even included some of the current Admirals players who will be challenging for some roster spots. These are just the bare minimum changes I expect to see by the beginning of next season.

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSTRIANbolt View Post
Our goalie next season

It's not too hard to play a season when you're riding the pine for 60+ games.

Maybe we'll take him in Orlando.

Felonious Python is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:33 AM
LightningStrikes
He is back

To be honest I wish there was a way for us to acquire Pavelec. Pending RFA, 2 years younger than Schneider, proven #1. Probably no chance to pry him away from Winnipeg, though.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:42 AM
CoopThereItIs
Here we go Lightning

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
It's not too hard to play a season when you're riding the pine for 60+ games.

Maybe we'll take him in Orlando.
Honestly, I feel very bad for Rollie. This old, probably no one is willing to take him next year. Never got his name on the Cup, came very close once, a little less close another time. Just feel bad.

On another note, his play. I've noticed, when he doesn't chase the puck around the net, he's fine. It's when he tries to play the puck, that he usually winds up out of position, or some goofball thing happens. I usually get pretty nervous when Roloson goes behind the net to play the puck. He didn't do it as much last game, and I think it showed.

CoopThereItIs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:34 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

I think Lee and Mikkelson wind up making a really good 5/6 pairing next year. They aren't shut down Dmen, aren't overly physical, and aren't anything special offensively. However, they both play a solid defensive game and make very few mistakes (which is basically exactly what you want from your 5/6 pair). The comparison to Lundin is a pretty good one.

Old
03-23-2012, 09:43 PM
I Am Beat You

I think Mikkelson is very average and Lee has regressed since arriving. I'd rather not have both as regulars on our blueline next season.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:20 PM
snowden
Man is matter

Mikkelson will make a great 5/6 d-man as said above, there's no doubt about that. Lee hasn't looked terrible or anything so he'd be a good bottom pairing guy.

What we need to do is have someone else coach the D. That seems to be the problem to me -- neutering the guys and making them play below what they are capable of. I'd be scared to see what would happen to bringing in a legit #1 or #2 d-man because I have a feeling he won't do so well in this system with these coaches.

snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 10:38 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
I think Mikkelson is very average and Lee has regressed since arriving. I'd rather not have both as regulars on our blueline next season.
I would be pretty surprised if Mikkelson isn't back for next year. Yes he's average, but that is what you would expect a bottom pairing defenseman to be.

Lee looked good when he arrived because the whole team was playing pretty well, but the entire team has regressed since then (not just Lee). I wouldn't be shocked if Lee doesn't come back next year, but I wouldn't expect any potential replacement to be a huge upgrade.

The problem with the Bolts defense isn't that we need to find replacements for Lee / Mikkelson / Clark / Gervais / Commodore. The actual problem is that all of those guys are bottom pairing defensemen being asked to take on top 4 responsibilities.

I think a lot of people forget how big it was to lose Ohlund for the entire season. Losing a top 4 Dman is huge. Your other top Dmen get worked much harder and your bottom guys get put in positions they really shouldn't be playing. We we're already in need of another top 4 even before losing Ohlund (Brewer and Hedman are our only current top 4s).

I think adding even just one more guy similar to Brewer will make a huge difference.

Old
03-24-2012, 07:21 AM
Vasilevski
TB team with Stamkos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
who do you want next year in the blue line?

Vasilevski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:17 AM
BoltSTH

Assuming Ohlund is on LTIR/retires. I see we need 2 top 4 to go with Hedmonster and Brewer.

In a ideal world it would be Suter but otherwise best FA available, and Aulie proves this year was a sophomore slump and adjusting to a new system.

Hedman-FA
Brewer-Aulie
Lee Mickleson
MAB Commodore/Vet

Old
03-24-2012, 10:33 AM
LightningStrikes
He is back

This is what I would like to see:

1st pairing: Hedman + FA (Suter?!, Wideman, ...)
2nd pairing: FA (or Ohlund) - Brewer
3rd pairing + #7: Lee, Mikkelson, Bergeron, Commodore or FA

And give Aulie some time in the AHL first.

Old
03-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post

I know this is the wrong thread for this, but every time I see someone propose a line up for next season. Everyone forgets Barberio. The guy is top 15 in points in the AHL.....as a defensemen. He doesn't exactly have much else to learn in the AHL. Why leave him out of the lineup?

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
I know this is the wrong thread for this, but every time I see someone propose a line up for next season. Everyone forgets Barberio. The guy is top 15 in points in the AHL.....as a defensemen. He doesn't exactly have much else to learn in the AHL. Why leave him out of the lineup?
He probably needs another year to continue to develop his defensive game in the AHL.

Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 03:18 PM
Han Solo
Laugh it up, fuzball

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post

Correct me if im wrong but doesn't Aulie have to clear waivers next year? I recall Leaf fans saying that this is his last year exempt from waiverd

Han Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 03:55 PM
Bolts265

As I have said before...if Buttercup (Hedman) and Brewer are of top pair next year,
I will puke.

Bolts265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 04:53 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post
who do you want next year in the blue line?
Ideally I'd like to see us land Suter and another top 4 defenseman, although that won't be easy to do. Suter plays the left side anyway so unless he or Hedman changed positions that might not be a pairing even if we did land him. We've already got Bergeron and Ohlund under contract for next season, Aulie will be re-signed, and I'd expect us to keep at least one of Mikkelson or Lee (both RFA's). I doubt Gervais and Clark return but I wouldn't be shocked if Commodore is kept. Add in some of the guys already in the system and you get some pretty healthy competition for the last two spots.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 05:18 PM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
I think Lee and Mikkelson wind up making a really good 5/6 pairing next year. They aren't shut down Dmen, aren't overly physical, and aren't anything special offensively. However, they both play a solid defensive game and make very few mistakes (which is basically exactly what you want from your 5/6 pair). The comparison to Lundin is a pretty good one.
Quote:
The problem with the Bolts defense isn't that we need to find replacements for Lee / Mikkelson / Clark / Gervais / Commodore. The actual problem is that all of those guys are bottom pairing defensemen being asked to take on top 4 responsibilities.
Completely agree. Great points. This could also be the very problem that has caused Lee to not play as well as when he arrived. I don't think Lee is capable of playing in the top 4 yet, so if you give him what he can manage as far as icetime, opponents, and situations on the ice I think he'll go back to playing very solid for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
Correct me if im wrong but doesn't Aulie have to clear waivers next year? I recall Leaf fans saying that this is his last year exempt from waiverd
His entry level contract will be up so yes he'll most likely be exposed to waivers depending on what his next deal is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts265 View Post
As I have said before...if Buttercup (Hedman) and Brewer are of top pair next year,
I will puke.
You might as well get it over with now then because it's a real possibility Hedman and Brewer will be our top pair again. As The Alaskan Assassin said it's no easy thing to acquire a top 4 dman, and it's even harder to land one that can play on the top pair. We still have to get a #1 goalie first too so it depends how much Yzerman wants to spend since it will probably cost us. That will be the biggest thing imo about this offseason is if Yzerman spends to concrete close those holes by getting two top 4 deman, a number 1 goalie, plus adding some scoring depth back into our forward lines or if he slows down and goes with "the process". It's not like last offseason where we had to make some moves to get back in the playoffs because he almost got to the finals, because this season we stunk. Yzermain traded for a lot of prospects and young guys so maybe he'll sit back and try to fill the holes through drafting and developing the rest of our team and let things work themselves out over the next few seasons.

Last edited by TheDaysOf 04: 03-24-2012 at 05:31 PM.
TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 02:37 PM
LightningStrikes
He is back

Sharks fans speculating: Dan Boyle could be on the move come July 1st as his NMC becomes a limited NTC.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1144253

Thoughts?

Last edited by LightningStrikes: 03-25-2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: wrong link
Old
03-25-2012, 02:53 PM
BoltingAway

I would be thrilled. Would make our Power Play and our D look a lot better next year. With the Ohlund situation though, Boyle's 6.7 could be really tough to swallow, even if it is only 2 more years. That, and the asking price could be too steep for us.

BoltingAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Vasilevski
TB team with Stamkos

I would be all over it

Vasilevski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 07:33 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post
I would be all over it
It depends on the asking price, IMO. If SJ was prioritizing the cap space that would be freed up and willing to take back little more than their 2nd, sure, it's a no-brainer. TB's prime assets have to be off the table.

nhljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 09:05 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhljohnson View Post
It depends on the asking price, IMO. If SJ was prioritizing the cap space that would be freed up and willing to take back little more than their 2nd, sure, it's a no-brainer. TB's prime assets have to be off the table.
Yup, I think Yzerman wouldn't use either of the 1st round picks for this trade (he'll want one to trade for a goalie and one to actually draft with). Maybe a 2nd, a 3rd, and a Dman like Gervais or Clark.

As much as I like Boyle, you don't want to give up too much for a 35 yr old with a 6.6mil cap hit.

Also I kinda doubt San Jose trades him anyways.

Old
03-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

no thank you

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 10:55 PM
BoltSTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
no thank you
ditto. Too late, too much. Rather try to sign Suter when you are talking those kind of numbers.