HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where do we go from here?

Old
12-22-2011, 10:18 AM
BoltSTH

vCash: 500
IMO we are not a playoff team. I will go to the games and support them, just like I have fore the last 13 years since I moved here, but the reality is we are under performing just as much as we over performed last year, but I still not see us getting to the playoffs this year as it would cost to many assets to add the needed pieces.

BoltSTH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:26 AM
ultra63

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
IMO we are not a playoff team. I will go to the games and support them, just like I have fore the last 13 years since I moved here, but the reality is we are under performing just as much as we over performed last year, but I still not see us getting to the playoffs this year as it would cost to many assets to add the needed pieces.
Agreed

ultra63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

We need a legit netminder for now and the future. I'd rather give Tik a look before a trade though. See just what the hell he has in him, can't shelter him in Norfolk forever.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
We need a legit netminder for now and the future. I'd rather give Tik a look before a trade though. See just what the hell he has in him, can't shelter him in Norfolk forever.
*In before Genius Brian Lawton says we need to shelter them forever.*

That's the Detroit way of doing things. They took their sweet ass time waiting for Jimmy Howard to develop, but who knows if that's right for Tokarski?

The reason why Garon lets every goal in from behind the net is due to a lack of overall physicality with our D. They can block the lanes all they want, but when the guy with the puck decides to go for the wraparound, they're going to let him by.

If you recall the Detroit game, Babcock said that he wanted to get the puck behind our net as much as possible. Think about how non-threatening our current D is. If we had Ohlund, they'd be a bit more afraid of trying that.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 12-22-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Drouin2Stamkos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
I think with a few tweaks they can be a playoff team but at what cost? Ive been saying that if it keeps looking like this maybe we can be sellers at the deadline and prepare for next season. They have a lot of money this offseason so they will be able to sign some guys. Also maybe get some draft picks to help out our defense because we dont have many good defensive prospects. Going forward thats going to have to be taken care of. If not the team will end up right back in this position they are now. Where they have a lot of good forwards but no defense. If this keeps up it may be smart to get ready for next year and beyond. I mean because even if we did make it to the playoffs, how confident would you be in this group to do what they did last year or beyond which is the goal?

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
It would be just as big of a mistake blowing up the team for picks/prospects as blowing up our prospect pool for a run at the 8th seed. SFY had a long term plan coming in, so I'm willing to let him have at it. I think we got a little spoiled with the overachieving last year, but at the same time, I think we're horribly underachieving this year. Looking at the roster, this is probably a playoff caliber team that has some holes, but the way they've played this year means we're a lottery team.

I'm willing to look on the bright side and see that the next draft class is stacked and if we're going to miss the playoffs and do poorly, we're doing it at a good time.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:06 PM
Bolts265

Believe me I love GB but typically in ALL sports when a team underachieves the coaching comes under scrutiny. Personally I hope no stupid move is made because with just decent goaltending we would not be questioning the coach.

Bolts265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts265 View Post
Believe me I love GB but typically in ALL sports when a team underachieves the coaching comes under scrutiny. Personally I hope no stupid move is made because with just decent goaltending we would not be questioning the coach.
Typically yes but this is SFY we're talking about.

Let's have a little patience with these guys (as in management/coaching, the players don't deserve it). At the end of this season a lot of dead weight will be off the books, we have some excellent prospects coming up, a deep draft and the ability and will to improve through FA and trades.

I think the letdown feels more massive because of how far they went last season. In all honesty we've been through worse as Lightning fans. At the very least we have a sane owner who is willing to let the GM spend money. And we have a GM who actually came in with a definitive plan and is sticking to it, however frustrating that may be to us fans in the short term.

Things will improve. Maybe not this season, it's looking pretty ugly, but the Lightning are actually be managed by competent grownups this time around. They'll be back.

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:34 PM
ultra63

The Montreal board has just exploded

ultra63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra63 View Post
why?

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post
why?
I'm guessing that any talk of Boucher being fired would really light things up over there. Fortunately, it isn't going to happen.

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 03:25 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I'd imagine Guy only leaves if Guy wants to leave.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Bolts265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
I'd imagine Guy only leaves if Guy wants to leave.
I hope so.

Old
12-22-2011, 03:58 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Thankfully, last night's 7-2 drubbing should have been the final statement to the front office that we need to make some trades

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra63 View Post
That's been the case for several days.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 04:50 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High View Post
Thankfully, last night's 7-2 drubbing should have been the final statement to the front office that we need to make some trades
No doubt that moves will eventually be made but I would expect temporary rather than permanent 'fixes'. I don't think Yzerman is one to do anything rash and is, instead, more likely to make moves that affect the grand scheme in the off-season. Also, I imagine that the trade options, especially for what is coveted, are extremely limited and by the time many teams that commit to 'seller' mode, the season already may be all but decided for the Lightning and those few tantalizing options may become cost-prohibitive anyway.

MAYBE Lombardi panics and deals off Bernier now in hopes of bolstering the offense and Yzerman is able to address the Lightning's goaltending future, but I have my doubts about that happening and whether both teams are even feasible trade partners.

Last edited by nhljohnson: 12-22-2011 at 04:58 PM.
nhljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 08:52 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
*In before Genius Brian Lawton says we need to shelter them forever.*

That's the Detroit way of doing things. They took their sweet ass time waiting for Jimmy Howard to develop, but who knows if that's right for Tokarski?

The reason why Garon lets every goal in from behind the net is due to a lack of overall physicality with our D. They can block the lanes all they want, but when the guy with the puck decides to go for the wraparound, they're going to let him by.

If you recall the Detroit game, Babcock said that he wanted to get the puck behind our net as much as possible. Think about how non-threatening our current D is. If we had Ohlund, they'd be a bit more afraid of trying that.
So you're saying we need a better goaltender but our defense is also not good enough/not doing its job. Got it.

Old
12-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
So you're saying we need a better goaltender but our defense is also not good enough/not doing its job. Got it.
Neither is doing their job and these are the results we get. Both need improvements.

Old
12-22-2011, 11:56 PM
BOLTMAN

Boltmans Views

Is it possible the players have turned a deft ear to Guy ???????????

Maybe not all ... but the majority????????

Hey just throwing it out there. (for conversation)

All coaches will get fired some day.

And I mean 100 percent will get canned.

Some sooner then others.

I mean, I see that same shot of him behind the bench with his eyes open and giving it to them when trailing in a game but i don't see any urgengy by most of the players.

Now saying this ....... We didn't have the best team, last year. (but did great)

And even that we are playing horrible, this year, I would definitly want to keep Guy.

And again, I'm saying to keep guy. (the talent just ain't there yet)

Anyways we have so many problems and two of our top players (26 and 4) are winding down their careers (and won't be productive in the near future)

So we need to worry about life after death, and I mean real soon. (don't be foolish here)

So I would give this season up. I mean ... even if we made the playoffs, how far would we go?

So then ..... lets be sellers this year and build for the future, because we just ain't going to win anything this year.

BOLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 12:37 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Roger that Boltman.

Old
12-23-2011, 12:38 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
Neither is doing their job and these are the results we get. Both need improvements.
Yep, so why throw a kid to the wolves here when hes poised to take a title at the AHL level?

On the other hand I thought DET took too long with Howard.

Old
12-23-2011, 05:01 AM
LightningStrikes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yzerman has a plan. A long-term plan. And Guy Boucher is part of that plan.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Yep, so why throw a kid to the wolves here when hes poised to take a title at the AHL level?

On the other hand I thought DET took too long with Howard.
Exactly. This is Tokarski's what 3rd? or 4th? season in Norfolk? How long do you continue to shelter him before finally letting him get his feet wet and get in for a few games? Can't measure where he's at development wise in terms of facing NHL level talent if he never plays against it.

Supposedly Nitty is being shopped by the Sharks (being dangled by the Sharks, not dangled TO them..hehe), any interest? A lot of us on here were kind of pissed we didn't re-sign him last year and instead opted for Smellis. Apparently he had hip surgery so that seems to be finally behind him and is playing in Worcester. Though he's played just 3 games, and only has an .878 save %. So I guess he'd fit right in with our current tandem!

Last edited by Doctor Drej: 12-23-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old
12-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Bolts265

If he is having trouble stopping pucks in Worcester why on earth would we want to bring his problems to Tampa? There has to be a better solution.

Old
12-23-2011, 10:05 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
If he is having trouble stopping pucks in Worcester why on earth would we want to bring his problems to Tampa? There has to be a better solution.
He stopped 26 of 27 and its just a rehab stint.