HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Impressions on McNabb so far

Old
12-06-2011, 11:40 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan

vCash: 500
Impressions on McNabb so far

I've only seen small parts of Sabres games recently, how has he looked so far?

12-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Sabreality

He's exceeded my expectations for his first recall. All of the tools are indeed there. I'd give him a solid B+ so far.

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:51 AM
PanicItsVanek26

He's been solid. He goes for those huge open ice hits that can lead to an odd man rush but it's fun to see him bulldoze the puck carrier.

PanicItsVanek26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:51 AM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
I also have not seen much of him either as I have been to busy to see all of the games....I have seen a few big hits that I liked....

Does anyone think he has what it takes to stay up ? Or will he be sent back down ?

I was hoping he would stay so we could trade a d-man to free up some cap space.

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:57 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

He's played well but he could use some time helping the Amerks instead of being rushed. I hope he gets sent down and realizes what kind of consistent effort it takes to make The Show. Maybe back up for good at the end of the year, but very likely make the team out of camp next year.

BackGroundMusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:08 PM
TragicallySabres

He's definitely impressed me, but I agree with not rushing him. I can't wait to see how he does in camp next year. I love his physical play, he's a big hitter.

TragicallySabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Overall he's been good. Extremely physical, has laid out some very big hits, positions himself well and has even jumped in on some offensive plays. His lack of speed is still evident as he's been beaten to the outside a couple times, but he was able to cover the play with his stick work. The bottom line is that he doesn't look out of place, so it's been a real nice call up period for him.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:15 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Lindy on the radio this morning saying that he has been better than expected. That he uses his long body, vey long stick and positioning to make sound defensive plays. He knew he was physical ,but did not expect that the physicality would transfer over to the NHL game so quickly.

He has looked good.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Any sabre who plays physically stands out, in a good way.

Too bad that most of the team toughness comes from rookies. Give the core time to mold the youngins and they'll be passive players very soon.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:27 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan

Cool, had my eye on him a while. Should give a little ammo to fire back against Lucic.

Plus, I think he does have a nice bit of offensive upside

SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:31 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
He reminds me of PK Subban a bit in his physicality, but seems to be a bit stronger on D than O.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:32 PM
French Connection

He has played very well.

French Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I concur with the general assessment -- better than expected in his first recall. The same things that marked his finally season with the Ice are on display -- hitting, generally smart passing, and a need to improve his footspeed. He's had a little work the other night on the PP too -- he's not a guy to lead the rush or gain the zone, but he was as smart offensive player with Kootenay and that is still lurking there. Rookie mistakes have been relatively few so far (the Legwand goal stands out... oh well), but the addition of a Sabre defenseman who will go for the hit in open ice is certainly refreshing.

12-06-2011, 12:38 PM
static80

The kid has been solid so far, I'd say he's ready for the show now.
No need to send this kid back down, he's doing a great job up with the big club.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
He's exceeded my expectations for his first recall. All of the tools are indeed there. I'd give him a solid B+ so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicItsVanek26 View Post
He's been solid. He goes for those huge open ice hits that can lead to an odd man rush but it's fun to see him bulldoze the puck carrier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Overall he's been good. Extremely physical, has laid out some very big hits, positions himself well and has even jumped in on some offensive plays. His lack of speed is still evident as he's been beaten to the outside a couple times, but he was able to cover the play with his stick work. The bottom line is that he doesn't look out of place, so it's been a real nice call up period for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
Lindy on the radio this morning saying that he has been better than expected. That he uses his long body, vey long stick and positioning to make sound defensive plays. He knew he was physical ,but did not expect that the physicality would transfer over to the NHL game so quickly.

He has looked good.
FWIW, McNabb's hit in the Islander game landed in 1st place amongst the top 10 hits of the week on NHL On The Fly.

Ruff clearly showed a lot of confidence in McNabb late in games - my sense is that with every game that McNabb plays well in, Weber becomes more and more expendable in Ruff's eyes. He didn't have a ton of trust to begin with in Weber - now that McNabb is taking advantage of the injury situation, he may well have surpassed Weber on the depth chart IMO.

Personally, although Weber and Gragnani have the NHL contracts, I'd be OK with McNabb sticking in the 3rd pairing with Sekera once everyone gets back to health, where he can learn and grow in less pressure-filled role against weaker lines. He hasn't looked that slow or out of place to me.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
FWIW, McNabb's hit in the Islander game landed in 1st place amongst the top 10 hits of the week on NHL On The Fly.

Ruff clearly showed a lot of confidence in McNabb late in games - my sense is that with every game that McNabb plays well in, Weber becomes more and more expendable in Ruff's eyes. He didn't have a ton of trust to begin with in Weber - now that McNabb is taking advantage of the injury situation, he may well have surpassed Weber on the depth chart IMO.

Personally, although Weber and Gragnani have the NHL contracts, I'd be OK with McNabb sticking in the 3rd pairing with Sekera once everyone gets back to health, where he can learn and grow in less pressure-filled role against weaker lines. He hasn't looked that slow or out of place to me.
McNabb needs to continue to play, so it should surprise if he goes back once they're healthy on the back end. And it certainly opens up the possibility of a move from one of their other inexpensive d-men and it need not be Weber if McNabb can show he can headman a pass or distribute on the PP....

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:30 PM
gallagt01

I'm okay with him missing that big hit once in a while if it leads to an odd-man rush for the opposition. His presence is certainly one that instills fear on the backend for opposing forwards. It's good to see.

I disagree that his play makes Weber expendable in Ruff's eyes.

gallagt01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Great hitter, but he needs to back off in the n-zone a little. They will kill you in transition in the NHL. Not the smoothest passer I've seen, keeps it simple. Not sure about his NHL future, but he's got potential.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:29 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
I'm okay with him missing that big hit once in a while if it leads to an odd-man rush for the opposition. His presence is certainly one that instills fear on the backend for opposing forwards. It's good to see.

I disagree that his play makes Weber expendable in Ruff's eyes.
What's even better is when the Buffalo forwards see McNabb lining up for a big hit and get back in time to negate the odd-man rush.

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:27 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Given the situation he's had to step into..... he's done remarkably well. All the ingrediants for a complete defensive disaster via rookie mistakes against elite teams were present.

He's still working on getting his angles right for the box out but shows good footspeed and has not panic'd with the puck. His decision making seems to be pretty quick too.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:28 PM
omglolnub

Wait, what does this thread have to do anything with a washed up quarterback that the lowly Vikings released from their team?

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Superhero

He's the best open ice hitter the Sabres have had sice Peca.

Superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Superhero

He's probably the most well rounded sabres defenseman, when you consider his size, physicality, toughness, offensive skill, & defensive upside. (Myers has the upside ability as well but isn't a fighter)

He will fight & hit.
He had over 70pts in jr last season.

He's what the Sabres need on the back end.

Superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I don't mind him going for the hit and if it yields an odd-man rush... it's no different than the offensive-minded guys being out of position and giving that up, but with the added benefit of giving the other team something to think about. In a game where time and space is important, putting a thought into an opponent's head is a good thing.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 12:20 PM
joshjull

He has played his off side when paired with Finley and seemed fine with it. Unless he normal plays his off side thats pretty impressive for a kid.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote