HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mike Sauer out with concussion (1/18: Still "month-to-month")

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Noonan25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Yeah, but look how much Staal's game has fallen off from missing all that time. The chances of Sauer getting healthy and getting his game back by playoff time are not good.
Staal game has fallen off? Looks like he is fine to me recently and he missed all of training camp

Old
02-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Dorado*

Safe bet to say Sauer out for the year . Probably best for him too . No news and 8 weeks to go . Would need at least a month symptom free then a month to resume hard workouts . A conditioning assignment . I doubt NYR go into final stretch / PO's with a guy who hasn't played in 4 months . Shut him down re evaluate in offseason . Hopefully he gets back to his potential .
Really a shame . Sauer is a hard player not to like .
I like hard nosed hockey but have never been a fan of the Scott Stevens / DION Phaneuf predatory head hunting / big hit in the open ice or off the puck guys , or free safeties that do it in football as well . Especially Stevens who rarely carried the puck and put himself in the position to be hi that way

Old
02-18-2012, 10:04 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

its a shame MS hasn't been able to return so far

I think NY truly misses his size and crease clearing prowess

Assuming NY doesn't shake up the roster, next year should present some very interesting challenges for the team on the blueline. They can't keep everyone especially with Sauer returning

Old
02-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan25 View Post
Staal game has fallen off? Looks like he is fine to me recently and he missed all of training camp
He looks fine? He's clearly not the dominant force he was defensively last year. His mistakes are much more frequent.

Old
02-18-2012, 11:53 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
While he has looked better of late, I still don't think he's at 80% of where he was a year ago. Hopefully he can get closer to 100% by the end of the season...but I'm guessing it could take longer.

Old
02-19-2012, 07:42 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Usually, players who miss training camp (and, in Staal's case - 1/2 the season) never get back to the point where they ought to be in that year. Hopefully, Staal gets his complete game back near or in the playoffs.

Old
04-30-2012, 11:09 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

vCash: 1187
Any one know any thing new on Sauer? The last info I could find on his progress was in January. I hope he can come back and play hockey again.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
Any one know any thing new on Sauer? The last info I could find on his progress was in January. I hope he can come back and play hockey again.
I think they already said that they are going to get him back next season. His concussion symptoms might already be gone. But his conditioning isn't good enough to inject him back in the lineup.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
I think they already said that they are going to get him back next season. His concussion symptoms might already be gone. But his conditioning isn't good enough to inject him back in the lineup.
That is unfortunate. Sauer's skill set and toughness could really help this team out defensively. Fortunately Bickel has stepped up his game big time and been more than serviceable in his absence. Another crease clearing defenseman with a mean streak would always be a welcome addition to a team that plays a defensive style. Also Sauer is very underrated when it comes to his puck moving and decision making skills when the puck is on his stick. When he is at his best he is a guy that other teams don't look forward to playing against, a top-4 defenseman if you will. Again this team is very fortunate that they have the pieces to replace him, because there are a number of teams who would be a lot worse off if they lost a player of his caliber

Old
04-30-2012, 01:35 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

i cannot wait to get Sauer back next year

Old
04-30-2012, 01:40 PM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
if he was fully concussion-symptom-free you would think there is a chance he comes back during the playoffs if the rangers advance. it's about a month until the finals, so there's plenty of time to get in condition. it's gotta be that he's still not symptom-free, unfortunately. wow.

a silver-lining is that this might make the rangers push hard for a guy like schultz and make the rangers a more attractive destination with an open lineup slot.

Old
04-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
i cannot wait to get Sauer back next year
Oh man our defense is going to be so sick next year with him back and Erixon probably getting a spot.

Old
04-30-2012, 02:19 PM
CH2

We haven't heard anything about Sauer except for the fact that Torts hasn't seen him and that he won't be back this year. I don't remember reading anything about him being symptom free.

Old
04-30-2012, 02:49 PM
Zuuuuc

Doesn't just suck as a player to miss this much time, Concussions really take over your life and make it miserable.
I remember seeing a video about his brother using a new rehab program that has made day to day life easier while dealing with concussion issues, I know every concussion is different but I'm sure if it worked for Kurt, Mike might be using it as well.

Hope for a speedy recovery, not just to solidify the back end, but also so he doesn't have to deal with the hardships of a concussion..oh yea, to hell with phanuef as well

Old
04-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Noonan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
He looks fine? He's clearly not the dominant force he was defensively last year. His mistakes are much more frequent.
Staal isnt the dominant force?

Old
04-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Staal isnt the dominant force?
He wrote that back in February when Staal was having a tough time. This is an older thread that was bumped.

Old
04-30-2012, 04:55 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Miss Sauer, love his game. =[

Wish him well.

Old
04-30-2012, 05:11 PM
eco's bones

It's a lost season and it's too bad because he played really well last year and he's one of those guys that always is there for his teammates. He's a defense version of Dubi in that respect. Not really a good fighter but he drops the gloves if he sees his teammates being messed with. To me that is a heart and soul guy.

Old
04-30-2012, 05:28 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

As much as the team could benefit from having a guy like Sauer, I simply don't see where he fits. Stralman earned himself another contract with his play this year. He'll be on the bottom pairing with PP minutes. McD, Staal, and MDZ have the left side locked down. Girardi and Stralman probably will be on the team next year.

This team needs puck movers and guys with poise on the back end more than a crease clearer. Erixon will probably be on the team. That's 7 including Sauer, not to mention the possibility of McIlrath impressing in camp. Unless a trade is made, I don't know where Sauer fits in.

Old
04-30-2012, 05:36 PM
CH2

What assurance do we have that Sauer will be ready to play next year? We can harp about having too many defensemen, but let's face it, injuries can alter that significantly.

Old
04-30-2012, 05:44 PM
MDL8981

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
As much as the team could benefit from having a guy like Sauer, I simply don't see where he fits. Stralman earned himself another contract with his play this year. He'll be on the bottom pairing with PP minutes. McD, Staal, and MDZ have the left side locked down. Girardi and Stralman probably will be on the team next year.

This team needs puck movers and guys with poise on the back end more than a crease clearer. Erixon will probably be on the team. That's 7 including Sauer, not to mention the possibility of McIlrath impressing in camp. Unless a trade is made, I don't know where Sauer fits in.
I dount McIlrath will be ready...its probably best he gets a full year in the AHL anyways and just be ready for a callup if someone gets injured. I agree that Stralman has earned himself a contract...I've been impressed w/his play this year and want him back. I really like him on the PP too.

Sauer or Erixon will replace Bickel...when McIlrath and Erixon are fully ready, then you will have some decisions to make.

Old
04-30-2012, 06:07 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:

Sauer would absolutely have a spot on this team next year if he's healthy. His defensive play is too valuable to pass up. Even if we landed Schultz and he was fit to make our starting roster, see below:

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - Schultz
Del Zotto - Sauer

With Schultz & MDZ getting tons of PP time, and the other 4 defensemen logging the majority of the PK time.

That would hands down be probably the nastiest defensive line-up in the league. Shot blocking, effective physical play, nasty stickwork, and offense!

I'm done drooling now.

Old
04-30-2012, 10:49 PM
gotmonte

I doubt Shultz is coming to the rangers.

Also, I LOVE Sauer but the knock on him is he is injury prone and this season his concussion took him out the entire season. Not saying its his fault, just saying it is part of who MS is. He gets hurt A LOT due to his nastiness.

Although Gaborik was also known as GLASS MAN and he played ALL 82 games so who the hell knows.

lol

Old
04-30-2012, 11:53 PM
petejudge

well if sauer can come back and play good hockey he fits in perfectly...

mcdonagh-girardi
staal-stralman
mdz-sauer

you'd obviously rather have mdz playing more minutes but you can be much more flexible with your defense if you have 3 really good pairings instead of 2 and a decent one. if they can work with sauer in the cap and keep all these guys, you literally have 3 pairings that could be the top pair on a lot of other teams. this also gives you a top shutdown line (a la girardi/staal of the past few years) and two lines with a shutdown defenseman and a puck mover.

erixon and mcilrath are obviously expected to battle for spots too but there's no problem in having defensive depth, especially when you got two guys who aren't even old enough to drink in your system waiting to come up.

Old
05-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:

Believe me if Sauer is healthy enough to return to the lineup for next season, they will find a spot for him, bank on it. He was easily our best stay at home defenseman who never let anyone set up camp in the crease the way Ottawa did throughout the first series.
You can't have enough sound, physical defenseman who make great decisions like Sauer does!

Closed Thread