HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mike Sauer out with concussion (1/18: Still "month-to-month")

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2012, 09:29 PM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Pretty sure the bass fishing guy said Sauer has been working out, just not NHL level conditioning working out

Old
07-25-2012, 09:30 PM
CM PUNK

best news ever lol. i still think you operate assuming he won't be back to start the year but absolutely fantastic to hear he is doing better and hope that he will be back.

Old
07-25-2012, 09:34 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
So lets hypothetically say that Sauer makes it back....

Staal-Girardi
Mcdonagh-Sauer?
Del Zotto-Stralman
Bickel

or would Sauer be on the 3rd pairing
i'd put sauer with mdz...keep mcdonagh and girardi together, and staal and stralman played together last year.

that way you have an offensive guy with a defensive guy on the 2nd and 3rd pairs

Old
07-25-2012, 09:52 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Not sure I agree there. Sauer's been shut down for 7 months now. Staal was shut down for 7 months before resuming workouts. Everyone is different, but I think there's a good chance we see Sauer before December.
Yeah, it's all baseless speculation at this point. For all we know he could be cleared to resume workouts tomorrow and be good to go 30 days later if he has no setbacks. Or he could still have symptoms 6 months from now. We just don't know. But the important thing is he is improving.

Old
07-25-2012, 10:05 PM
YoungD4

i still think Rangers have a card up their sleeve for a defenseman

Old
07-25-2012, 10:42 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Michael Sauer is one of those players that you don't realize how good they are unless you watch them on a nightly basis. The guy is so solid defensively and plays such a steady, calming game but you'd never know it by looking at a scoresheet. Other teams' fanbases didn't realize how big of a loss he was to our team. Staal, Girardi, McDonagh and Sauer has to be the best top 4 in the league defensively (offensive skills not included). Being able to roll out those two pairs at 22+ mins a night each is a nightmare for the opposition.

Old
07-25-2012, 10:43 PM
mschmidt64

Quote:
Originally Posted by noupf View Post
If I am not mistaken, Sauer has been shut down on all physical activities since the concussion that sidelined him. I would imagine if things go well in terms of progress.......at best, with getting back into game shape, some conitioning games in the AHL and so on......we may see him in the second half of the season at the earliest.
And that would be ok.

The Rangers can get to the playoffs without him. Having him be a trade deadline addition, even, would be excellent and would really help the team get through the playoffs.

Old
07-25-2012, 10:45 PM
YoungD4

i cant believe Schultz picked Oilers over Rangers... would be great right now

Sauer would be great if he is ready

Old
07-25-2012, 10:46 PM
YoungD4

Also how long is McLarith going to be out, speaking of defense

Old
07-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungD4 View Post
Also how long is McLarith going to be out, speaking of defense
McIlrath will be ready for training camp. He's going to play in Hartford this year anyway.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:23 PM
ColonialsHockey10

I think Sauer was struggling a good bit before the Phaneuf hit...

However when we had injuries 2 seasons ago and Sauer was forced to play 1st pairing minutes he looked great. He would be absolutely perfect with any of Staal, Sauer and McDonagh. Pair MDZ and Stralman and they will rack up the offense with sheltered minutes.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:37 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
I think Sauer was struggling a good bit before the Phaneuf hit...

However when we had injuries 2 seasons ago and Sauer was forced to play 1st pairing minutes he looked great. He would be absolutely perfect with any of Staal, Sauer and McDonagh. Pair MDZ and Stralman and they will rack up the offense with sheltered minutes.
I don't know where you get that from. Sauer wasn't struggling at all. In fact he has hardly struggled since becoming a regular 2 years ago. A very solid player and great to hear he is back in good health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noupf View Post
If I am not mistaken, Sauer has been shut down on all physical activities since the concussion that sidelined him. I would imagine if things go well in terms of progress.......at best, with getting back into game shape, some conitioning games in the AHL and so on......we may see him in the second half of the season at the earliest.
Not quite true...he was working out in January and actually skated in 3-4 practices before shutting it down again. I spoke to a family member in January and they told me he was feeling fine and expected back after the All-Star game. That obviously didn't happen and the subsequent turn of events must have been very severe.

Old
07-25-2012, 11:47 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

This is excellent news. Sauer would put all the defensive issues to rest. He's ANOTHER top 4 caliber player and is such a rock that pairing him with just about anyone would be fine. His crisp first passes were also missed after he got hurt. He's got some pretty decent puck moving abilities. His presence on the ice would be a great addition to the team this upcoming season, at some point. No need to rush it.

Old
07-26-2012, 01:25 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Michael Sauer is one of those players that you don't realize how good they are unless you watch them on a nightly basis. The guy is so solid defensively and plays such a steady, calming game but you'd never know it by looking at a scoresheet. Other teams' fanbases didn't realize how big of a loss he was to our team. Staal, Girardi, McDonagh and Sauer has to be the best top 4 in the league defensively (offensive skills not included). Being able to roll out those two pairs at 22+ mins a night each is a nightmare for the opposition.
With sauer back I think we'd have 5 dmen that can played 25 minutes in a game, adding del zotto to your list. Only guy that isn't a top 4 guy is stralman

Be nice to have a 3rd pair that can play big minutes to give mcdonagh and girardi a break....but even more it would be nice to not have to worry about matchups cause we have good dmen on at all times

Old
07-26-2012, 01:31 AM
egelband

i hope the league does something about players who take whole shifts looking to 'light-up' a fellow player.
i think fans are getting hip to this attention-grabbing b-s. i hope the league is too. it's not hockey.
of course players need to 'keep their head up', but it's next to impossible to avoid a headhunters gone rambo.
we know who they are. most teams have one or two.

Old
07-26-2012, 01:54 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Wow, that is fantastic news. That just made my day. Michael Sauer is the most underrated player on this team. He's a fantastic defenseman. His hockey IQ is way above average, and he has an efficient first pass, a big struggle for this team last season when he went down.

The return of a healthy Sauer would make this, IMO, the best team in the league on paper.

Old
07-26-2012, 02:49 AM
Calad
Section 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
There is a small difference between finishing in the top 3 and 4-5. Pittsburgh didn't get better. Sutter is not Staal. Philly is the same team. Boston is the same team. The Rangers young players have a tremendous amount of room left to grow. Henrik is the best goalie in the world.
Boston is not the same team. No Tim Thomas.

Old
07-26-2012, 05:43 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calad View Post
Rask is good though. Remains to be seen how good, over a whole season.

They'e also getting Horton back (if he can stay in the lineup)

Boston will be good but I don't know that they're necessarily the best team just because they won the cup 2 yeas ago

Old
07-26-2012, 05:51 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Rask is good though. Remains to be seen how good, over a whole season.

They'e also getting Horton back (if he can stay in the lineup)

Boston will be good but I don't know that they're necessarily the best team just because they won the cup 2 yeas ago
Plus, Seguin will be a year further along in his development.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:26 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calad View Post
Thomas became a distraction after he become all political. Rask is a good goalie. Thomas wasn't going to play forever. He is 38 years old. They are making the transition to Rask one year earlier than they planned. The Bruins are still the best team in their division. They should be a top 3 seed in the east.

Old
07-26-2012, 06:35 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Winner of the Atlantic division will be the first seed.

NE will be 2nd.

SE will be 3rd.

2nd and 3rd in the atlantic will be 4th-5th.

With Mike Sauer, we have 3 lines that can shut down anything any of those teams can throw at us.

McD-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
MDZ-Sauer

Old
07-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Winner of the Atlantic division will be the first seed.

NE will be 2nd.

SE will be 3rd.

2nd and 3rd in the atlantic will be 4th-5th.

With Mike Sauer, we have 3 lines that can shut down anything any of those teams can throw at us.

McD-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
MDZ-Sauer
Try:

Staal-Girardi
McD-Sauer
MDZ-Stralman

Old
07-26-2012, 08:55 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Try:

Staal-Girardi
McD-Sauer
MDZ-Stralman

Stralman and MDZ isn't that great of a pairing defensively, imo. As good as MDZ was last season, i'd rather have him be able to do his shtick while Sauer covers for him.

Staal and McD are interchangeable though, I agree.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Levitate

Realistically it makes more sense to pair Sauer with Del Zotto, Stralman with Staal, just based on the kind of defensemen they all are. But obviously things can move around and some guys get more icetime PKing and others more icetime on the PP

I see no reason to break up Girardi and McDonagh right now

Old
07-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Realistically it makes more sense to pair Sauer with Del Zotto, Stralman with Staal, just based on the kind of defensemen they all are. But obviously things can move around and some guys get more icetime PKing and others more icetime on the PP

I see no reason to break up Girardi and McDonagh right now
Well, no one said every one of our pairings has to be shut down. Players earn their minutes under Torts, so he'll throw the best out there. Sauer is considerably better than Stralman, defensively, and thus will be on the 2nd pairing.

Now, why Staal will be with Girardi and not on the 2nd pairing is because he's already an established first pairing member in Torts book. He's an assistant captain, and will get minutes worth of that title. Him and Girardi were already excellent together, and we saw them together more and more as the playoffs went along. McD and Sauer have also played together and been a formidable duo themselves.

It's about establishment in Torts eyes, something that Staal has over McDonough, due to age, years playing in the league and under Torts, and also familiarity with line mates - Sauer and McDonough already have familiarity playing together while Staal and Sauer don't.

Stralman has many defensive lapses too. Yes, when he needed to step up he did, however, he really struggled some games. He's going to be put in a situation where he can continue to learn and be effective for this team, a situation where his qualities can be maximized while his mistakes can be minimized. He'll get 3rd pairing minutes because it minimizes the time he has to make defensive plays. He'll also be paired with Del Zotto because both are good puck moving defensemen and have also had chemistry playing together.

That being said, if those are our defensive lines, which I think they will be, contingent on Sauer coming back healthy and Stralman resigning, then I think the minutes will be a lot more even than they were last year. Staal/Girardi will play like 23-24 min a game, McD/Sauer will play 19-20, and MDZ and Stralman will play 16-17.

Closed Thread