HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Sauer out with concussion (1/18: Still "month-to-month")

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2012, 11:17 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2008 View Post
actually the nyr blueline looks pretty slow ....just like last season
Slow??? They may not have anyone like Doughty, but McDonagh is one of the best skating defenders in the league, MDZ has wheels, and Staal's speed is underrated for a bigger guy. Stralman has a decent set of wheels too.

Quote:
Sauer despite his concussion will be back...but will he be as effective as before or not...Staal took his time and gradually worked his way into the lineup finally looked good....
Fair point, raises a good question.

Quote:
in the Caps ot playoff games it was clear that the NYR need at least 2 more Right handed Dmen (other than Eminger/Stralman/Bickell) to play a solid 20+ minutes in critical situations.
I think a healthy Sauer fixes that problem.

Quote:
If they can somehow get a pair of overlooked Collegians or bring back a speedster that maybe grows into the role(McNabb from Buffalo or Gilroy)

they should be able to mask the other new weakness...
I don't think either of those options help the defense. If anything, if they're not confident in Sauer, bring in Kubina. Pavel is familiar with Richards and Torts.

Quote:
speedy power Centers(they had 2 last season and now have maybe 1 if JT Miller can perform.) Despite the additions of Halpern(small but solid #3 pivot w/ 20 goal scoring ability, and Boyle(lead footed FaceOff king is about as agile as a Mack Truck)
Speedy power centers? Their depth down the middle looked like Richards, Stepan, Anisimov, Boyle and Mitchell. Where are the speedy power centers?

Also, if you're counting on Halpern to be the Jeff Halpern of 2001, you're going to be disappointed. 10 goals, 20 points with good penalty killing, defensive play and winning faceoffs and I'm happy with Halpern.

Quote:
But the speed of Dubinsky(maybe Kreider resumes @ Center?) and the all around skill/reach of Anisimov was bothersome to some teams.
Kreider at center??? And I don't know how "bothersome" Anisimov was to other teams. He was far too inconsistent to be "bothersome" if you ask me. Good player when he was on his game though, I hope he does well in CBJ.

Quote:
right now the pivot position again becomes a key for the NYR scouts in case they face bigger competition that richards/Stepan can't hustle past.

Hoping to a healthy Sauer as his brother Kurt who played for Phx also had his career slowed by concussions.
Well the first part wasn't much of an issue last year. Had Richards been getting 1st line icetime all year, I think he'd have cracked 70+ points and would have possibly been a point per game player.

As for the last part, we're all holding our breath, my friend.

Old
08-06-2012, 02:17 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I think Sauer fits a need on the blueline for NY pure and simple

If he is back and healthy its great news but I am not expecting to see him until after the all star game. I felt the same way about Staal too.

Actually if he does end up missing half a season he would return "fresh" and can get back into game shape taking a shift on the 3rd pairing like Staal did.

Stralman was surprisingly effective but I think that was mostly because there were no expectations. That isn't the case anymore, however he is a Swede so I expect him to come into camp in top shape and take a regular shift as well as earn some PP time on the point.

I am hoping he continues to bring the wood because he handed out some very nice bone jarring hits during the playoffs.

Old
08-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
I think Sauer fits a need on the blueline for NY pure and simple

If he is back and healthy its great news but I am not expecting to see him until after the all star game. I felt the same way about Staal too.

Actually if he does end up missing half a season he would return "fresh" and can get back into game shape taking a shift on the 3rd pairing like Staal did.

Stralman was surprisingly effective but I think that was mostly because there were no expectations. That isn't the case anymore, however he is a Swede so I expect him to come into camp in top shape and take a regular shift as well as earn some PP time on the point.

I am hoping he continues to bring the wood because he handed out some very nice bone jarring hits during the playoffs.
Sauer has been out for a long time and it sounds like he's feeling just fine now, no symptoms, if true then why would he not be back in time? Still plenty of time till camp and likely a lock out for a few more months

I think they sign a vet to a two way deal and maybe keep 8 D on the roster just in case.........so spares are vet D( maybe Eminger again), Bickel, Haley.............then just make a call up of a Miller, Thomas , Hrvik, Newbury, Kolarik, Bourque, etc if need be due to injuries.

Old
08-06-2012, 09:13 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Sauer has been out for a long time and it sounds like he's feeling just fine now, no symptoms, if true then why would he not be back in time? Still plenty of time till camp and likely a lock out for a few more months
huge difference between feeling better sitting around fishing with your brother and being cleared for nhl hockey...

its fantastic that there is positive news but until he is cleared for hockey related activities i'd remain cautiously optimistic and would plan if he wasn't going to be ready. if he is ready then great you've no got extra depth. if he has a setback or needs more time then you are also prepared.

Old
08-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
huge difference between feeling better sitting around fishing with your brother and being cleared for nhl hockey...

its fantastic that there is positive news but until he is cleared for hockey related activities i'd remain cautiously optimistic and would plan if he wasn't going to be ready. if he is ready then great you've no got extra depth. if he has a setback or needs more time then you are also prepared.
true but none of us have any idea,only Sauer and the Rangers know. They are not running out and grabbing another Dman on the FA market so I imagine they are going to go with the 7 they have that includes Sauer and then maybe get a vet who goes to the minors if Sauer is ready or sits around as a cheap spare.

Old
08-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
huge difference between feeling better sitting around fishing with your brother and being cleared for nhl hockey.

There is also a huge difference between playing right now and playing in 2 months (or more if there's a lockout).

For all anyone knows, he might be ready to play hockey right now, but nobody is going to test it out this far in advance of the season. Even the tests are mildly stressful, so there's no point in doing them for no reason. Sauer will rest until preseason, whenever that will be, and then they can see where he stands.

It looks like he's been symptom-free for over a month. If he goes another 2 months without symptoms, there's a good chance he's healthy again.

With the exception of massive concussions that are life-threatening, if a player is healthy and symptom-free for 2-3 months, he's almost always ready to come back.

Old
08-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
Slow??? They may not have anyone like Doughty, but McDonagh is one of the best skating defenders in the league, MDZ has wheels, and Staal's speed is underrated for a bigger guy. Stralman has a decent set of wheels too.
I agree with pretty much everything you wrote except for MDZ having wheels. That's just not true. Dude is slow as ****. Horribly slow.

Old
08-06-2012, 06:56 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I agree with pretty much everything you wrote except for MDZ having wheels. That's just not true. Dude is slow as ****. Horribly slow.
Malik was horribly slow... Del Zotto has average speed....

Old
08-06-2012, 07:35 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
When MDZ was in junior, Red Line Report said you could time his first two steps with a sundial. He's improved but still a just passable NHL skater.

Old
08-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Levitate

Del Zotto skates well in a straight line, but yes his acceleration is pretty slow and he doesn't pivot all that well. It's not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things, since he makes it work, but what can you do

Old
08-07-2012, 10:58 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Happy birthday Mike. #25.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:08 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Its also Cindy's birthday today. He is also 25. Mike Trout is 21 today. Great player. Absolute horse.

Old
09-09-2012, 04:53 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

3 weeks ago Larry wrote about Sauer

Quote:
There is scant optimism within the Rangersí camp that Michael Sauer, sidelined for the duration after being concussed last Dec. 5 on a hit delivered by Dion Phaneuf, will be cleared for a return to duty, even if this seasonís opener is delayed by months.

If Sauer, said to be feeling better than he was before returning home to Minnesota for the summer but is not believed symptom-free, cannot play, he would be placed on the long-term injury list.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...#ixzz260nGuc11

Torts spoke about Sauer today

Quote:
During the Q and A session at the Rangers Dog Walk this morning, John Tortorella was asked about Michael Sauer.

Bryan Finkel was there and says that the exchange went like this:

Q: On the chances of seeing Michael Sauer in the beginning of the season?

A:ĒI donít think youíll see Michael. Michael hasnít responded that wellóIíll be quite honestóI do not think youíll see him at the beginning of the season.Ē
http://snyrangersblog.com/michael-sa...michael-sauer/

December makes 12 months. It took David Perron 13 months to return from a concussion. David Roberts(Orioles)missed 13 months. Bryce Salvador missed an entire season.

Old
09-09-2012, 06:10 PM
ColonialsHockey10

****ing lovely.

Old
09-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Yikes that doesn't sound good at all.

At least we have the Bickel as a replacement.

Old
09-09-2012, 07:01 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Definitely need another veteran defenseman.

It's just pain.
Old
09-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

We have a history of trying vet guys under Torts... Exelby, Semenov, amongst others, Stralman was further into the season but i'm confident we'll grab one.

A little disappointing that a guy like Kundtratek didn't pan out for us. We are quick to deal our prospects who aren't developing quickly, though. The list is endless but i'm sure all of you remember some of them .

Old
09-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
We have a history of trying vet guys under Torts... Exelby, Semenov, amongst others, Stralman was further into the season but i'm confident we'll grab one.

A little disappointing that a guy like Kundtratek didn't pan out for us. We are quick to deal our prospects who aren't developing quickly, though. The list is endless but i'm sure all of you remember some of them .
That was a ****ing awful trade. McPhee took us to school on that.

Old
09-09-2012, 07:43 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
No, not really. Kundratek played like 5 games for Washington and looked okay. It was a minuscule trade that means nothing in the long run.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
09-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
No, not really. Kundratek played like 5 games for Washington and looked okay. It was a minuscule trade that means nothing in the long run.
Bouchard sucks. He hasn't produced in the AHL despite his size frame and previous scoring pedigree in the QMJHL. Kundratek had a good AHL season production wise and even got a cup of coffee in the NHL. I say he can be a NHL player, bottom pairing. So essentially, you moved away a potential bottom pairing guy who's good in the AHL for a guy who'll likely never play for the Rangers and isn't a good AHL player.

Old
09-09-2012, 07:57 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Bouchard sucks. He hasn't produced in the AHL despite his size frame and previous scoring pedigree in the QMJHL. Kundratek had a good AHL season production wise and even got a cup of coffee in the NHL. I say he can be a NHL player, bottom pairing. So essentially, you moved away a potential bottom pairing guy who's good in the AHL for a guy who'll likely never play for the Rangers and isn't a good AHL player.
...oh no?

That trade is the least of my worries right now. Bickel is a better player than Kundratek anyway.

Old
09-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
...oh no?

That trade is the least of my worries right now. Bickel is a better player than Kundratek anyway.
I agree that I'm not going to lose sleep over it, but it's essentially throwing away an asset just for the sake of it.

Old
09-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Yikes that doesn't sound good at all.

At least we have the Bickel as a replacement.
Except for that whole thing about how Sauer is a much, much better player than Bickel.

Old
09-09-2012, 08:53 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Set the franchise back a good four years.

09-09-2012, 09:07 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I'm not confident that Sauer will ever play NHL hockey again at all.

Nore do I feel it would be wise for him to do so.

His brain obviously suffered a bad enough trauma that he's still not healthy. Why risk it. Take it easy, live a normal healthy life.

It sucks, but hockey isn't everything.

Why risk ending up like Savard. The way Mike plays, very physical, its not out of question.

Closed Thread