HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Iginla + for Semin +

Old
12-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
Quite an imagination. Biased refs are on the warpath! The Caps homer announcers finally couldn't take the outrage anymore! Semin plays good D because the team scored some SHG a few years ago. Hilarious! Keep it up!
Wow! Way to respond in a condescending tone rather than actually refuting any of my arguments! You must be some sort of genius!

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:23 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

People....clearly this deal doesn't happen unless Calgary is assured of at least a year or two extension for Semin. Shouldn't be that hard for everyone to figure out.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Red Dread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnEmUp View Post
As a Flames fan I wouldn't have any interest in Holtby or Neuvirth as part of a return for Iginla, so that's fine.

I would be shocked if the Capitals moved Carlson or Alzner. Would love to have either, but I'm thinking those two will be patrolling the Caps top 4 for the next decade or so.

I also would be shocked if the Caps moved the Colorado 1st. Again, would love to have that for sure, but it's like found money (will likely end up being a future franchise player) and the Caps would most certainly rather dangle their own first as part of a package to upgrade their current team.

Any prospects other than Kuznetsov? Marcus Johanssen would be my first choice...(and yeah, I realize he's already graduated, but we need a real solid prospect in return for our franchise player IMO)

Jarome Iginla

for

Alex Semin
Marcus Johanssen
2012 1st (Capitals)

Yay or nay?
I'm very leery about giving away Mojo...anyone else? Sorry for all the "ANYONE ELSE?" talk...but Kuzya and Mojo are key parts to the future in Washington. Bundle of prospects, perhaps? Other than that, I accept the terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW6 View Post
Totally agree with you. The Avs 1st, Kuznetsov, Alzner, Carlson and Holtby are off limits. Maybe even Orlov.
Johansson, Eakin, Neuvirth could be had if the right deal comes along IMO.
Orlov has been stellar for us and I refuse to trade him. Still thinking Mojo shouldn't be on the "availables" list.

P.S Off topic, but I still miss Cristobal Huet from his days with us back in late 07-08.

Red Dread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
Jokinen is not a playmaker... He'd likely be as bad a fit next to Semin as he was next to Iginla.

Tanguay would be a decent linemate for him - though they are both natural LW so one of them would have to move to their non-natural side, and I'm not sure how much of all that balances out when you consider him going into a more defensive system under Sutter.

Personally, I believe he'd be a terrible fit there, wouldn't be happy playing under Sutter and would bolt as a UFA. There is nothing tying him to Calgary, no great playmaking center to play with and it's a non-playoff team as well.

Why would Feaster take that kind of risk? Non-playoff teams don't gamble acquiring rental players for a reason. I don't think Feaster is stupid enough to take that kind of risk - especially at the cost of the organization's top asset. If you're moving Iginla, you're starting a rebuild, and rebuilds don't make sense with the key asset coming back being a risk to walk as a UFA at season's end.
Semin to Calgary just makes zero sense... And trading Iginla for him makes even less sense than that.
Well, Jokinen did have 37 assists last year. That's more than any center Semin's every spent substantial time with. Still, I agree with your point. Semin to Calgary makes no sense. My posts here are just trying to dispel the common notion on this site that Semin is worthless.

Old
12-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Red Dread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflames744 View Post
You make sense. But what if the Caps said if you take Semin, we'll toss in Colorado's 1st rounder. Colorado's 1st rounder could potentially be a top 5 pick. If the Flames turn that down and the Caps find someone to take Semin's salary, the Flames could lose on a Yakupov, etc. The Flames will be just good enough to get a top 10-15 pick and when the Caps toss in their 1st rounder, which will be 20-30 range, the Flames could miss out on a future franchise player. It's a tough decision. I watch Semin and the Caps all the time and I can't stand Semin as much as the next guy, but if it means drafting a Yakupov, you'd have to consider it.
OFF-LIMITS:
1.) Colorado's 1st rounder
2.) Evgeny Kuznetsov
3.) Karl Alzner and John Carlson
4.) Braden Holtby
5.) Dmitri Orlov
6.) Alex Ovechkin and the other stars (excluding Semin).

EVERYTHING ELSE IS FREE GAME.

Old
12-06-2011, 08:32 PM
BurnEmUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsfan12837 View Post
I'm very leery about giving away Mojo...anyone else? Sorry for all the "ANYONE ELSE?" talk...but Kuzya and Mojo are key parts to the future in Washington. Bundle of prospects, perhaps? Other than that, I accept the terms.

Orlov has been stellar for us and I refuse to trade him. Still thinking Mojo shouldn't be on the "availables" list.

P.S Off topic, but I still miss Cristobal Huet from his days with us back in late 07-08.
Ah, but you're not "giving" him away, you're trading him as part of a package for our franchise player......gotta give to get.

"Bundle of prospects" just doesn't do it for me if I'm the Flames GM......more looking for some serious high potential quality, as opposed to quantity.

BurnEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:34 PM
cflames744

Quote:
OFF-LIMITS:
2.) Evgeny Kuznetsov
4.) Braden Holtby
5.) Dmitri Orlov

You'd make a great GM. Going to have to trade one of the above if you want to improve the Caps. Could garnish the return that would set the Caps over the edge. They need to make a shake up trade. No one except Backstrom and Ovie is safe.

cflames744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:35 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
If the Flames are trading Iginla you would think they would want a younger player then Semin coming back as the center piece. Also Semin is an UFA after the season. It would be a bad trade for the Flames to make.
Semin is 27, that's not old.

But you're right about the UFA thing, only way the Flames do this is if they're getting a prospect or draft pick. The Caps do need another center, a good experienced second center that can hang around another year, frankly I think Alfie and the sens would make much more sense.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Flameshomer

vCash: 50
Quote:
OFF-LIMITS:
2.) Evgeny Kuznetsov
4.) Braden Holtby
5.) Dmitri Orlov

See this is why it won't work. Anything that we'd actually want from washington is in the off limits pile.

Col 1st Rounder is the added pick and we have a deal. Other than that, there's not a snowballs chance in hell.

Flameshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:44 PM
BurnEmUp

Quote:
OFF-LIMITS:
2.) Evgeny Kuznetsov
4.) Braden Holtby
5.) Dmitri Orlov

See. Johansson isn't on your list there.

BurnEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:44 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
Well, Jokinen did have 37 assists last year. That's more than any center Semin's every spent substantial time with. Still, I agree with your point. Semin to Calgary makes no sense. My posts here are just trying to dispel the common notion on this site that Semin is worthless.
Semin isn't worthless to every team. He is worthless to a lot of teams though.

He's worthless to a team like Calgary, who's out of the playoffs and have no need to give up any value for a rental.

He's also worthless to a team that doesn't need offense and has holes elsewhere - like Vancouver. His $6.7mill cap hit means such teams create holes elsewhere on their roster to fit him in, while not having the cap space to address actual needs.

To a team with a lot of cap space and owners willing to spend in that cap range, he could be a more valuable asset... A team like Florida for example, that has cap space, could use scoring help and if they feel they are a playoff team and a boost offensively will help them take another step, he could be worth more - and his expiring contract could be more valuable there as they don't risk those real $$ past the current year when they may be competitive.

But he is - at his cap hit, and the baggage he brings, worthless to at least a few teams in the league. It's not easy to fit that cap hit in, and there's no doubt he comes with risks attached.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Red Dread

Okay, let's start over.

Flames fans, give me a list of what you expect in return from Washington for just Iginla. Certain players, don't say "And a prospect or two."

Old
12-06-2011, 08:53 PM
sabresEH

IMO Feaster and GM are dumb enough to make a trade that makes no sense for either team. But no way is Eklund even close to getting this deal right. I could see a Iggy+ for Semin +++. But Feaster would want some kind of deal in place that keeps Semin here for more than just this remaining season.

sabresEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:

He's worthless to a team like Calgary, who's out of the playoffs and have no need to give up any value for a rental.

He's also worthless to a team that doesn't need offense and has holes elsewhere - like Vancouver. His $6.7mill cap hit means such teams create holes elsewhere on their roster to fit him in, while not having the cap space to address actual needs.

To a team with a lot of cap space and owners willing to spend in that cap range, he could be a more valuable asset... A team like Florida for example, that has cap space, could use scoring help and if they feel they are a playoff team and a boost offensively will help them take another step, he could be worth more - and his expiring contract could be more valuable there as they don't risk those real $$ past the current year when they may be competitive.

But he is - at his cap hit, and the baggage he brings, worthless to at least a few teams in the league. It's not easy to fit that cap hit in, and there's no doubt he comes with risks attached.
I can totally follow this line of reasoning. It's the people who think Semin, regardless of his contract, is a bad player who actively hurts the team he's on that piss me off. Like the guy who's comment was just "Semin is trash." I can't stand that level of ignorance, and possibly racism.

Old
12-06-2011, 08:57 PM
ponder

I thought "this is (MOD EDIT) stupid, why would the Flames give up Iggy for Semin?" until I opened the thread and saw the inclusion of Holtby. I'm guessing this is 100% fabricated, like 99.9% of Eklund rumours, but honestly it's not a bad proposal. The Caps could REALLY use a leader like Iggy, he'd be their captain right away, while Holtby would be a great future tender in Calgary, with Semin maybe learning to take over more consistently with the responsibility of being the #1 forward on the team. If the Flames could re-sign Semin, then I actually like this deal for both teams.

Last edited by ColePens: 12-06-2011 at 09:11 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:59 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Quote:

Agree.

I think the Flames GM Feaster is smart. In my opinion he is maximizing his return. Its the "best player availible" approach used most often at the draft. By accepting Semin, he recieves a younger, high end O talent that he can trade at the deadline for overpayment.

If he manages to add useful pieces to the return, while dumping unwanted salaries. all the better!

Really, what has Feaster got to lose? Iginla is a great leader and iconic Calgary Flame. No return will replace him. Maybe he figures he can mitigate the damage this way?

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Red Dread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I thought "this is retarded, why would the Flames give up Iggy for Semin?" until I opened the thread and saw the inclusion of Holtby. I'm guessing this is 100% fabricated, like 99.9% of Eklund rumours, but honestly it's not a bad proposal. The Caps could REALLY use a leader like Iggy, he'd be their captain right away, while Holtby would be a great future tender in Calgary, with Semin maybe learning to take over more consistently with the responsibility of being the #1 forward on the team. If the Flames could re-sign Semin, then I actually like this deal for both teams.
You'll get Neuvirth...Holtby's our Kolzig.

Old
12-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Seikalym

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnEmUp View Post
As a Flames fan I wouldn't have any interest in Holtby or Neuvirth as part of a return for Iginla, so that's fine.

I would be shocked if the Capitals moved Carlson or Alzner. Would love to have either, but I'm thinking those two will be patrolling the Caps top 4 for the next decade or so.

I also would be shocked if the Caps moved the Colorado 1st. Again, would love to have that for sure, but it's like found money (will likely end up being a future franchise player) and the Caps would most certainly rather dangle their own first as part of a package to upgrade their current team.

Any prospects other than Kuznetsov? Marcus Johanssen would be my first choice...(and yeah, I realize he's already graduated, but we need a real solid prospect in return for our franchise player IMO)

Jarome Iginla

for

Alex Semin
Marcus Johanssen
2012 1st (Capitals)

Yay or nay?
Nope. Need Johansson as our 2C. Perrault or Eakin maybe.

Seikalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:10 PM
flameaholic

I think Eklund is one of those guys Feaster referred to as "sitting in the basement in their underwear."

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:10 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

If Feaster accepts this, he'll set any rebuild back by years, potentially.

A better trade would be.

To Calgary:

Marcus Johansson
Cody Eakin
Semin - The baggage that comes with this guy will be ridiculous, and plus, he wont resign with Calgary after his contract. These two things combined forces Washington to concede a second prospect to get Iginla
2012 2nd Round Pick

To Washington:

Iginla
John Ramage

Any team, including Washington, is going to have to pay a kings ransom to get Iginla, and for Washington that will have to include 2 good prospects in a position to which Calgary lacks prospects, and that's Centre.

RobBrown4PM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

If we trade Semin and Johansson + for Iginla we don't have a 2nd line...

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:16 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
If we trade Semin and Johansson + for Iginla we don't have a 2nd line...
And then you don't have Iginla. Iginla is exactly what Washington needs.

- Pure dedicated veteran leadership
- Immaculate work ethic
- 40+ Goal Scorer
- 95+ Point Getter
- 1 tough Son of a *****

Old
12-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBrown4PM View Post
And then you don't have Iginla. Iginla is exactly what Washington needs.

- Pure dedicated veteran leadership
- Immaculate work ethic
- 40+ Goal Scorer
- 95+ Point Getter
- 1 tough Son of a *****

No, we need a 2nd line.
Brouwer plays just fine with Ovie and Backstrom.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:20 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
No, we need a 2nd line.
Brouwer plays just fine with Ovie and Backstrom.
Brouwer is no Iginla, not even close. Iginla would guarantee Washington a perrenial play-off spot, with ton's of ceiling to it

Old
12-06-2011, 09:21 PM
boredmale

If Calgary was going to trade Iginla it would be to rebuild, not for a guy who is a UFA at the end of the season

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote