HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ty Rattie Watch

Old
03-17-2012, 06:53 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

vCash: 500
Not old enough. I believe he was very young for his draft class.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 06:57 PM
MedicBluesFan443

That is a shame.... Kid has some real skill.. O well another season in the WHL won't hurt him

MedicBluesFan443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 03:21 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicBluesFan443 View Post
What prevents Rattie from playing in Peoria next season? Does he not meet and age requirement?
No, he doesn't meet the age requirement.

To clarify though, the age requirement for the AHL is the same as the NHL - age 18. However, the NHL and CHL (governing body of WHL, OHL & QMJHL) have an agreement that for players drafted from CHL teams, they have to be 20 in the year in which a season starts to play in the AHL that season. Thus, for a player drafted from a CHL team to be eligible to play in the AHL in the 2012-13 season, they have to turn 20 within 2012. Rattie turns 20 on 2/5/13 so he won't be eligible to play in the AHL until the 2013-14 season.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
No, he doesn't meet the age requirement.

To clarify though, the age requirement for the AHL is the same as the NHL - age 18. However, the NHL and CHL (governing body of WHL, OHL & QMJHL) have an agreement that for players drafted from CHL teams, they have to be 20 in the year in which a season starts to play in the AHL that season. Thus, for a player drafted from a CHL team to be eligible to play in the AHL in the 2012-13 season, they have to turn 20 within 2012. Rattie turns 20 on 2/5/13 so he won't be eligible to play in the AHL until the 2013-14 season.
There is a possibility that the CHL rule gets changed with the new CBA. It would be nice if the rule were perhaps only 19 to play in the AHL or if each NHL organization could have one or two 18-19 year olds playing with their AHL team.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
There is a possibility that the CHL rule gets changed with the new CBA. It would be nice if the rule were perhaps only 19 to play in the AHL or if each NHL organization could have one or two 18-19 year olds playing with their AHL team.
That would defeat the purpose of having the agreement in the first place. The CHL needs stars for the public to watch playing on their teams. If they all leave after 2 years there's little continuity and player recognition on teams. It's already bad enough that a lot of great players leave after their 2nd and 3rd seasons. IF anything, the rules should be made more strict against players leaving (e.g. don't let players leave under 20 EVEN to play on NHL teams!). Major Junior Hockey in Canada is great mainly because turnstile and season tickets sales pay the freight (supporting it). It's already terrible that we can only keep many our big stars for a couple of years. Now people want to take them ALL away early (just to have many of them playing pro on farm teams for $100K. I can't see that vote happening. happening.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 08:10 PM
stlweir

Portland's last regular season game starting now. C'mon Ty. At least a goal and an assist.

Ty with 2 goals so far with 7.33 mintues left in the 2nd period. = 120

Finishes with 2 goals & 1 assist and 121 Points for the season. The 1rst and 4th leading scorers are both 21 years old. Of the top 7 scorers in the league Rattie is the only player with a year of junior eligibility left. Rattie finishes 3rd in scoring 1 point behind Stone.

Last edited by stlweir: 03-18-2012 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Update
stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Blues0307

Rattie finishes the season:

69 GP 57 G 64 A 121 PTS

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:30 PM
thegutter

saw him play against the royals on friday night, he looked good. was definitly the most skilled player on the ice, almost looked too good for the whl. If he can get bigger and stronger in the off season i could see him getting a good look.

thegutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:35 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegutter View Post
saw him play against the royals on friday night, he looked good. was definitly the most skilled player on the ice, almost looked too good for the whl. If he can get bigger and stronger in the off season i could see him getting a good look.
if only he was a center

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:40 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

You have to go back to NHL-bust Pavel Brendl in 98-99 and NHL All-Star Patrick Marleau in 96-97 to find the last time a WHLer with eligibility left put up over 120 points. In fact, before this year, Brendl in 98-99 was the last time anyone in the WHL had more than 120 points. Brendl went 4th overall and Marleau went 2d overall, and both put up their monster WHL seasons immediately before their draft, so a year younger than Rattie. Marleau stepped straight into the NHL after his 71GP, 51-74-125 season as a WHL sophomore.

It's not inconceivable he could reach the NHL, but if Tarasenko signs I don't know how he has much of a shot, even if they move Stewart. Hopefully Portland has another strong team and he can get WJC and Memorial Cup experience.

Rattie went from 37 (frosh) to 79 (soph) to 121 (junior). .61PPG to 1.18PPG to 1.75PPG. That's a player making strong, determined improvement. He's got the right attitude based on every interview he's given.

Let's hope Portland wins the WHL (in a finals vs. Moose Jaw, Edmunson's team) and gets Memorial Cup time with Tesink and Villieux out of the Q. Heck, get Owen Sound in there with Binnington.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 01:47 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

If he was a center, he would have a decent chance of making the team. Since he plays on the wing, the only way he makes the team is if Tarasenko stays in Russia, and management really wants to move Stewart. Rattie won't force management to trade Stewart like Tarasenko could, but if Tarasenko doesn't come over, we could still have another rookie make an impact.

Old
03-19-2012, 02:45 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
If he was a center, he would have a decent chance of making the team. Since he plays on the wing, the only way he makes the team is if Tarasenko stays in Russia, and management really wants to move Stewart. Rattie won't force management to trade Stewart like Tarasenko could, but if Tarasenko doesn't come over, we could still have another rookie make an impact.
The thing is, though, they wouldn't know until camp about Rattie, and then they'd want to see him well into the season before dealing Stewart. (Obviously we're talking if Tarasenko stayed.) So Stewart wouldn't likely be dealt at the draft unless they could get a lot for him.

Old
03-19-2012, 07:47 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
The thing is, though, they wouldn't know until camp about Rattie, and then they'd want to see him well into the season before dealing Stewart. (Obviously we're talking if Tarasenko stayed.) So Stewart wouldn't likely be dealt at the draft unless they could get a lot for him.
Yep, which is why I think that scenario is very doubtful. Rattie just doesn't have a spot on the team, unless he just goes off in camp.

Old
03-19-2012, 11:32 AM
MedicBluesFan443

This is some great news on Rattie! It seems as the the kid has really taken it upon himself to get better each season. I too wonder what this next year will bring for him. If Tarasenko remains in Russia you almost have to think Rattie could get a spot on the big club provided Army and the gang thinks he can make a positive contribution. Does Stewart get moved for a top pair defensemen to pair with Pietro? Who knows but this kdi makes things interesting moving forward that is for sure. Great job with the second round selection!

MedicBluesFan443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Let's hope Portland wins the WHL (in a finals vs. Moose Jaw, Edmunson's team) and gets Memorial Cup time with Tesink and Villieux out of the Q. Heck, get Owen Sound in there with Binnington.
You're overlooking several other Blues' prospects here.

Moose Jaw also has Cody Beach, who will be in Peoria next year.

Saint John also has Stephen Macaulay, who wears an "A" for them, in addition to Ryan Tesink.

And the Niagara Ice Dogs and Brock Beukeboom, who will most likely also be in Peoria next year, are probably a better pick for the OHL championship this year... but Owen Sound is still the defending champions until someone knocks them off, and Binnington is still the guy who won the last two games of the OHL final series last year when the Attack was facing elimination.

Every Blues' prospect in major junior is on a club that has made the playoffs and has a decent chance to make some noise.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:16 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Rattie with a hat trick in Game 1 of the WHL playoffs. Portland 6, Kelowna 3.

Old
03-24-2012, 09:11 AM
execwrite

Ty Rimmer was also selected as the goaltender on the conference's First All-Star Team, along with teammate Brendan Shinnimin, who was a unanimous selection along with Portland's Ty Rattie. Shinnimin scored 134 points this season to lead the league and came through with a dominant final two months of the season to propel his Americans to #1 in the conference. Rattie was third in scoring with 121 points, also having scored 57 goals.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 10:08 AM
stlweir

Shinnimin turned 21 in either Jan or Feb of this year and is 2 years older than Rattie which I presume makes him an overage player. Rattie will have to dazzle to make the Blues next camp. He may be close to ready skill wise but still needs to get his body NHL ready. Schwartz competes along the boards but is often easily outmuscled. Reminds me of Perron's rookie year. Great young nucleus with more high end talent on the way.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 03:53 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
Shinnimin turned 21 in either Jan or Feb of this year and is 2 years older than Rattie which I presume makes him an overage player. Rattie will have to dazzle to make the Blues next camp. He may be close to ready skill wise but still needs to get his body NHL ready. Schwartz competes along the boards but is often easily outmuscled. Reminds me of Perron's rookie year. Great young nucleus with more high end talent on the way.
Coaching and management said they were surprised by Rattie in training camp, and even then, his offensive skill and play in the attacking zone was NHL-ready. He just needed to complete his game. I wouldn't bet that he makes the Blues out of camp, but it wouldn't surprise me, either. He has improved so much every year that I don't think he's AHL bound at all. It could take another year, but I think he's going to make the jump from juniors to the NHL.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 04:08 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Coaching and management said they were surprised by Rattie in training camp, and even then, his offensive skill and play in the attacking zone was NHL-ready. He just needed to complete his game. I wouldn't bet that he makes the Blues out of camp, but it wouldn't surprise me, either. He has improved so much every year that I don't think he's AHL bound at all. It could take another year, but I think he's going to make the jump from juniors to the NHL.
Since he's only 19 next year and in the WHL he can only play for Portland or St. Louis. I think it's a situation where coming into camp he'd be Perron's same age (Perron was drafted a year later than most) when he made the team, the difference being the 12-13 Blues are comparatively loaded from the 07-08 season. If Tarasenko signs and everyone's healthy I think it's purely a numbers game and he goes back to junior. Even if he's approximately as good as Perron was that camp. Will be good to let him play in the WJC.

What's more important is if he's super impressive in camp, the Blues can think, ok, this kid is NHL ready by 13-14 and can plan accordingly.

Old
03-24-2012, 04:09 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I am very new to these boards, and the ranking system of prospects, so I have a question. HF still has Rattie as a 7.0 C prospect. Do they ever adjust those rankings, or are they set in stone? With his drastic improvement each of the last four years, I would venture to guess that his potential could be higher than originally anticipated. Only problem is that I have only statistics and a few Youtube videos to rate him on. Anyone that has seen him more extensively want to give their opinion? If you had to give him a prospect rating using the HF system, what would you give him?

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 04:16 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Since he's only 19 next year and in the WHL he can only play for Portland or St. Louis. I think it's a situation where coming into camp he'd be Perron's same age (Perron was drafted a year later than most) when he made the team, the difference being the 12-13 Blues are comparatively loaded from the 07-08 season. If Tarasenko signs and everyone's healthy I think it's purely a numbers game and he goes back to junior. Even if he's approximately as good as Perron was that camp. Will be good to let him play in the WJC.

What's more important is if he's super impressive in camp, the Blues can think, ok, this kid is NHL ready by 13-14 and can plan accordingly.
Do you think if a spot opens in training camp that they might keep him around for a nine game trial? Kind of like with Petro, as a "Hey, this it what it takes to play with the big boys, go work on these things and we'll see you in a year?

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 04:51 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
Do you think if a spot opens in training camp that they might keep him around for a nine game trial? Kind of like with Petro, as a "Hey, this it what it takes to play with the big boys, go work on these things and we'll see you in a year?
Only if there are injuries to start the season. Right now they can carry any number of players but at the start they can only carry 23. Most of the forwards who'd be on that roster either couldn't be sent down without being claimed or wouldn't (Schwartz, Tarasenko).

If there are such injuries I think it's a good idea to give him that exposure and get more time practicing because obviously it helped his development this past season and probably would again, then they could send him to WJC. So basically we won't know until camp if there turn out to be injuries.

Old
03-24-2012, 11:09 PM
Bruv
kissin kevin shields

Quote:
Rattie with a hat trick in Game 1 of the WHL playoffs. Portland 6, Kelowna 3.
Rattie with the Hattie.

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 12:55 AM
Alklha

Another goal and assist tonight.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote