HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Seems like Winnipeg attracts the back up goalies.

Old
12-07-2011, 07:45 AM
Frustrated

vCash: 500
Seems like Winnipeg attracts the back up goalies.

Just notice how often we get a back up goalie when anyone significant palys here. I know Boston played on the road ect, but I might suggest that teams are taking Winnipeg as weak, so they rest there best goalie ect.

I think Winnipeg will Start Mason on Fri, thinking we can handle Carolina. Whats your thoughts?

Frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:06 AM
Prot

vCash: 100
I really don't think it's entirely a 'who can we handle without Pavlec' scenario.

Rask for Boston is a starter on many other teams. He's darn good. He was VERY good last night. They need to get these guys ice time.

I really don't like to think in terms of 'can we afford to rest Pavelec'? I think Mason is great, and it's about finding a balance between resting Pavelec and getting Mason quality time to stay sharp.

Pavelec already had the longest run of his career I believe on our road trip. So I'm worried about burn out. But he's playing so darn well....

Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
Not sure why anyone is surprised about this. When you are sub 500 (as we have been for all but 3 games this season) you are considered a weaker opponent and fodder for team's backups.

Of course, we know the team has been playing very well for weeks now, and other teams are starting to figure that out as well.

12-07-2011, 08:55 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Rask is a starter on probably AT LEAST half of the other NHL teams.
So I would take "backup" last night with a grain of salt.

However you are correct, we have seen quite a few back ups this year.
I can see that changing if we keep playing the way we have been.

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:30 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
That will change as more and more teams fly home from Winnipeg with 0 points. They won't want it to happen the next time around.

KingBogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:33 AM
GetPucksDeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustrated View Post
Just notice how often we get a back up goalie when anyone significant palys here. I know Boston played on the road ect, but I might suggest that teams are taking Winnipeg as weak, so they rest there best goalie ect.

I think Winnipeg will Start Mason on Fri, thinking we can handle Carolina. Whats your thoughts?
You're reading too much into it. It was the second night of a back to back for Boston.

GetPucksDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:51 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetPucksDeep View Post
You're reading too much into it. It was the second night of a back to back for Boston.
Exactly. And given that the first night was against Pittsburg its not all that surprising that Rask got the start in the second half.

Devils game was a back to back for them as well. And arguable Hedberg is playing better than Marty.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:08 AM
tbcwpg

Devils played league leading Minnesota 24 hours before playing the Jets, so you go with your starter against them. Same with Boston, Thomas against the Pens, Rask gets the Jets.

The other games I've been to, Pittsburgh and Tampa, we saw Fleury and Roloson. I don't think it's backup syndrome, just timing.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Frustrated

The Carolina game is important, as we have Detroit next.... I think this is a coin toss as to whether pav plays or they play Mason. Personally, I think Mason can handle them, save Pav for Detroit. That will give him lots of rest. It would of been nice to see Thomas play last night. We didn't see the complete "stanley cup team" with him sitting on the bench. Sure goaltending was great on both ends, but maybe it would of been a different game either way had Thomas played.... Just a thought...

Old
12-07-2011, 11:12 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:

I think your statement is accurate but at the beginning of the year I think it was because we were not playing well and it made sense when managing your starting goalie's minutes. Lately since we have been playing better I sense it is more situational, for instance back to back games or a goalie like Brodeur being cold. It use to be because they could now i sense it is more because they have to.

I agree with you we might be wise to start Mason Friday since we have a game less than 24 hours later in Detroit.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
Devils played league leading Minnesota 24 hours before playing the Jets, so you go with your starter against them. Same with Boston, Thomas against the Pens, Rask gets the Jets.

The other games I've been to, Pittsburgh and Tampa, we saw Fleury and Roloson. I don't think it's backup syndrome, just timing.
Not sure if Hedberg's the backup in NJ anymore:

Hedberg: 14 GP, 7-5-1, 2.24 GAA, .916 SV%
Brodeur: 14 GP, 6-7-0, 3.20 GAA, .884 SV%

There's not a lot of drop off between a starter and backup in today's NHL.

And what backups have the Jets played this year?

PHI Bobrovski's SV% is .905 compared to Bryz's .900 (+.005)
CHI Emery .890 vs Crawford's .896 (-.006)
CAR Boucher .888 vs Ward .898 (-.010)
NYR Biron .931 vs Lundquist .930 (+.001)
TB Garon .910 vs Roloson .886 (+.024)
NJ Hedberg .916 vs Brodeur .884 (+.032)
BOS Rask .927 vs Thomas .940 (-.013)

Did I miss anyone?

So 4/7 backups we've played have better SV% than their starter. Overall, the backups we played are .033% better than the starters they were standing in for. Only 2 are below .900.

Now, you might argue that backups face weaker opponents, so of course they have better SV%'s...but it's not like they're terrible. Some of them have some very impressive stats. The most lopsided advantage for the starter is Thomas vs. Rask, and Rask's SV% is .927! Nice backup...

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 11:36 AM
castle
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1700
Quote:
It would of been nice to see Thomas play last night. We didn't see the complete "stanley cup team" with him sitting on the bench. Sure goaltending was great on both ends, but maybe it would of been a different game either way had Thomas played....
I get that. Seguin was a healthy scratch too. But then again, the Jets were playing without half their starting D and no Antropov and Fehr, so... I would reply with 'maybe it would have been a different game'.

castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:14 PM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Quote:
ure goaltending was great on both ends, but maybe it would of been a different game either way had Thomas played.... Just a thought...
Yeah, it may have been 6-1 Jets. Rask had a good-er.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:57 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

I think they don't want to scar the Starters for life just cause its hard to play in now that we have one of the best home records in the NHL.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 02:29 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

I'm OK with the rest of the league continuing to make this decision.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Some of the visiting teams have played us as the second of back-to-back games. Inevitably that leads to great chance of seeing their backup. Only times I recall the other team playing their backup when not on consecutive game nights is Garon. The Rangers were on last game of long road trip open the season. Other is Bryzgalov. I would attribute not seeing Bryz start to the build up b/w him and WPG fans.

I dunno how rest of season looks but if we continue to see teams on the back end of 2 straight games we need to seize that opportunity. Could been one of the few travel relocation benefits we get this year...alot of teams seem to play here after playing night before in Detroit, Pittsburgh or Minny.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:19 AM
tntkid

Teams are honestly taking Winnipeg lightly by playing their back up goalies.
If they don't want to play their starter than it is their own fault.

I think that Philly was protecting Bryzgalov from the crowd.

tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:24 AM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Exactly. And given that the first night was against Pittsburg its not all that surprising that Rask got the start in the second half.

Devils game was a back to back for them as well. And arguable Hedberg is playing better than Marty.
Please for the love of god, it's Pittsburgh. Sorry I'm a Pens fan too.

Rask is a starter on half of the teams in the NHL and Boston faced Pittsburgh the night before. Most teams will play their backup in the "easier" of the two match-ups.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:30 AM
chancemc

i start pavs friday, thats a must win at home vs 15th place team we need 2 pts... the game against detroit if we get any points out of it its a huge bonus and would rly be totally unexpected gamble with mason in that one.

pavs vs canes
mason vs drw

chancemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 06:37 AM
sting13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post

Hedberg played about 75% of the game the night before against Minnesota as well
because Brodeur was brutal.

Look at Ottawa they started Anderson when they could have went with Auld in
city he played in for years. It comes down to timing.

sting13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Lemon Lover
Forever in Blueland

Mason starting against Carolina.

Oh snap! Now it's the other teams that aren't worthy of getting OUR #1 goalie.

Lemon Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:44 PM
shaunhil

Sounds like Mason is starting on Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancemc View Post
i start pavs friday, thats a must win at home vs 15th place team we need 2 pts... the game against detroit if we get any points out of it its a huge bonus and would rly be totally unexpected gamble with mason in that one.

pavs vs canes
mason vs drw

shaunhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:35 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 700
As we win, starters will start playing against us.
Truth be told, with the exception of the devils (Marty is my all-time favourite player and I've been waiting waaay too long to see him) I don't mind that we're currently playing against back-ups. I want to make the playoffs, if teams underestimate use I'm perfectly fine with it.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Frustrated

Just as I figured, Start Mason against Carolina. Were doing what the other teams are doing. Jets management must think Carolina is easy pickings. I tend to agree with other posters. Put pav in, get the 2 points and take your chances in Detroit with Mason. Noel is preaching about how important the Carolina game is, he should really practice what he preaches.(unless Pav is hurt or fatigued)....