Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose OH MY GOSH THE MTS CENTRE IS LOUD! thread

Old
12-13-2011, 11:10 PM
jetsfan85*

vCash: 500
watching the game on tv and hearing how loud the game was i would of guessed the dbs would of been around 113 ish give or take.. that was VERY LOUD on tv. i obviously cant speak for in person but the game sounded very very loud.

jetsfan85* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:19 PM
grumpy old jet fan

vCash: 50
I was measuring at 300 level behind the goal. I expect there may be other parts of the building where it was louder.

Over-all, and without benefit of a meter, I'd say tonight's game was the quietest of all games I've attended.

grumpy old jet fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:17 AM
Tarks
True North

vCash: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old jet fan View Post
I was measuring at 300 level behind the goal. I expect there may be other parts of the building where it was louder.

Over-all, and without benefit of a meter, I'd say tonight's game was the quietest of all games I've attended.
I agree. Tonight was the quietest, without doubt IMO.

Tarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:23 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
At pregame skate the sound level with the annoying rap was 85dB~. The loudest it got was after the two goals. 107~ and 108~dB.

Very quiet building. The Minneapolis North Stars put everyone to sleep I guess...
Lol at this being quiet. I remember in Edmonton in 06 during the run they were saying how it got to 110-115 db and it was stupidly crazy loud...that was cup final, we get nearly there for a Tuesday night in December in a cross-conference game

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:01 AM
Tarks
True North

vCash: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Lol at this being quiet. I remember in Edmonton in 06 during the run they were saying how it got to 110-115 db and it was stupidly crazy loud...that was cup final, we get nearly there for a Tuesday night in December in a cross-conference game
Big difference between 108 db and 115 db.

Tarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:07 AM
NODLR
The Dog House

vCash: 148
Are we going to have a pissing contest about how much loder one game was from another?

NODLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:13 AM
Crazed Fan

Lets keep in mind this is a December game against the Wild... if we're talking Playoffs and White Out?? Stanley Cup finals?!!!
Consider those records shattered.

Crazed Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:23 AM
chancemc

Quote:

definately wasnt the quietest on tv. close to the loudest

chancemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:27 AM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
It's about acoustics too, the MTS has GREAT acoustics. Like I mentioned in another thread, I've been to the MTS and to the Bell Centre for concerts and it's incomparable. As for dB levels, I know Montreal claimed some INSANE dB level for a playoff game in 2010, it's the loudest that I've ever heard claimed. Whether it's true or not.

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:53 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug

Quote:

are you crazy, this game ranks up there for me

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 04:40 AM
Jets4Life

Quote:
I have a sound meter that I intend to bring to Jet games beginning tonight. I will record the sound levels at various stages and during different games, to see just how loud Jet fans are.

BTW the sound levels will be recorded from the south end, row two, upper deck...

Guesses?

As much as I appreciate someone taking the time to do this so we have an idea of how loud the phone booth is, I just have one thing to say as a huge Jets fan without season tickets.

Enjoy the game!

Think of us poor buggers who cannot get tickets.

Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:38 AM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

have to say, the preseason game vs. Columbus was deafening - maybe it was the atmosphere and emotion around the "first" game back in the NHL, but i doubt there will be another PS game like that ever again.

Quote:
Unofficial ranking?

1) Boston game, after Jets scored 2nd goal.
2) First preseason game - pretty much entire game.
3) 1st regular season game against Montreal.

mzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:50 AM
grumpy old jet fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnatibaH View Post
Are we going to have a pissing contest about how much loder one game was from another?
Yeah, that was my objective.

Old
12-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Frustrated

Workplace Health and saftery classifies anything over 80 decibals as mandatory hearing protection. Workplaces had to institute this. So if the decibal level is indeed over 100, how come the players are not required to wear ear plugs? Just a question??

Frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:58 AM
grumpy old jet fan

I think probably because the high noise level is only for brief moments at a time as opposed to constant over long periods of time.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:09 AM
NODLR
The Dog House

vCash: 148
Quote:
Yeah, that was my objective.
It was a general statement.

NODLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:15 AM
jetsfan85*

Ok well i do bombers games and we hit 105-106 db's as our highest peeks. Bombers mngment took my db meter and record by the bombers bench. It will be even louder in our new stadium not only becuz more seating but how the noise will get more trapped with our new roof and we are below ground level. Its gonna be insane at new bombers stadium.

108 db's is not quiet. Those are playoff numbers. The old maple leaf gardens used to hit 108 as there best! MTSC tonight was one of the loudest games so far... for goals wise! You have to record the db meter on the lower part where the ice is... you'll get a truer effect because all the noise is going towards the middle. It was more closer to about 111 db's I bet. What you hear in your seat is VERY different then players hearing on the ice.

Rexall place in Edmonton come playoffs is the test for MTSC. Rexall hits 108 db's just for player intro's, they have a huge set up when Oilers hit the ice, fans go insane!! 2006 - they hit 116 db's, 114 db's etc... Rexall is by far the loudest for consistency in the nhl in playoffs. Dont believe in that carolina and chicago and few others are hittign over 120... its not possible. They fabericate it or push it to where it can hit that high. The old chi stadium and wpg arena didnt even hit 120... and they are louder then those buildings by farrrrr.

You cant always go by ppl with there db meter because they put it by fans or if they scream it'll automatically jump, its good measuring stick but you can tell which arenas are louder just by hearing them or attending live. MTSC is showing that no arena is even coming close to our arena, even players and media know it.

Im going to be making a VID on top 10 loudest crowds/arenas. You'll get it once you see it. Give me about a week. I've studied crowds and I know my crowds very well.

There is no louder arena then Edmonton come playoffs right now. Montreal follows Oilers in the playoffs at #2.
-you dont go by goals you go by a 60 minute building...how consistent is the noise? Because different timeing goals will be louder then others

2011 - MTSC is by far the loudest right now and i mean by far. You dont need me or db meters to help you hear/understand that. Players know it...so does most media hubs.

Old
12-14-2011, 10:01 AM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

make sure to post it in a new thread...i want to share the video with friends across the country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan85 View Post
Ok well i do bombers games and we hit 105-106 db's as our highest peeks. Bombers mngment took my db meter and record by the bombers bench. It will be even louder in our new stadium not only becuz more seating but how the noise will get more trapped with our new roof and we are below ground level. Its gonna be insane at new bombers stadium.

108 db's is not quiet. Those are playoff numbers. The old maple leaf gardens used to hit 108 as there best! MTSC tonight was one of the loudest games so far... for goals wise! You have to record the db meter on the lower part where the ice is... you'll get a truer effect because all the noise is going towards the middle. It was more closer to about 111 db's I bet. What you hear in your seat is VERY different then players hearing on the ice.

Rexall place in Edmonton come playoffs is the test for MTSC. Rexall hits 108 db's just for player intro's, they have a huge set up when Oilers hit the ice, fans go insane!! 2006 - they hit 116 db's, 114 db's etc... Rexall is by far the loudest for consistency in the nhl in playoffs. Dont believe in that carolina and chicago and few others are hittign over 120... its not possible. They fabericate it or push it to where it can hit that high. The old chi stadium and wpg arena didnt even hit 120... and they are louder then those buildings by farrrrr.

You cant always go by ppl with there db meter because they put it by fans or if they scream it'll automatically jump, its good measuring stick but you can tell which arenas are louder just by hearing them or attending live. MTSC is showing that no arena is even coming close to our arena, even players and media know it.

Im going to be making a VID on top 10 loudest crowds/arenas. You'll get it once you see it. Give me about a week. I've studied crowds and I know my crowds very well.

There is no louder arena then Edmonton come playoffs right now. Montreal follows Oilers in the playoffs at #2.
-you dont go by goals you go by a 60 minute building...how consistent is the noise? Because different timeing goals will be louder then others

2011 - MTSC is by far the loudest right now and i mean by far. You dont need me or db meters to help you hear/understand that. Players know it...so does most media hubs.

mzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 10:20 AM
grumpy old jet fan

This thread was not intended to compare buildings or start pissing contests nor was it expected to be a scientific study. It was just for fun so I could see what sound levels I was hearing. Let's not turn this thread into anything more than a fun and friendly experiment.

Old
12-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Frustrated

In order to get any type of accurate levels, you need probably 20 gauges placed all over the arena, and then do an average. Sitting in on section just reads the animal screaming obcenities at the top of his lungs behind you. A good place to put it would be th press box's, penalty box, on the scoreboard ect. Some place where it will not be influenced by your surrounding people screaming. I know from the upper deck, it seems lot loader than when I am in the lower bowl, but lets not start that pissing contest lol!

Frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 10:36 AM
jetsfan85*

I was just stateing that dont be sad about 108 and call it quiet. Thats not even close. Quiet is not MTSC.

99 db's is average in regular season for home goals by teams in the nhl. So what does that tell you, lol? A nhl arena with fans just watching game no chants hovers around 70 db's and sitting in a room is about 20 db's, big difference eh. Wait until a overtime goal in reg season and playoffs. Our arena will be ear lossing.

If you google Edmonton Oilers 2006 playoffs hearing loss. CBC had a article about actual hearing loss to fans attending their playoff games because the noise was so loud and consistent.

I was just reading wild board.. their fans couldnt believe how loud we were, they are wishing the X could get that amped up. Other teams and their fans notice. They can just tell what a difference mtsc is and their own.

I will make my own thread later, once i geter done.

10-4 at home faithful !!!

Old
12-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancemc View Post
definately wasnt the quietest on tv. close to the loudest
This was definitely the loudest game I heard on TV for the Jets this year, maybe they turned up the mics? Who knows but I'm still damn impressed.

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Prot

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
This was definitely the loudest game I heard on TV for the Jets this year, maybe they turned up the mics? Who knows but I'm still damn impressed.
No the Boston game was louder for certain. So was the Phoenix, and potentially the last Flyers game.

It was a lot of neutral zone slugging that kind of held the crowd at bay.

My section is normally one of the loudest I believe. For some reason we had lots of females. They rarely get into it to the degree I'm used to.

It picked up a lot in the third though. No doubt.

Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 10:53 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
^^^ Loudest on TV buddy. [mod...]. What you hear on TV and what it actually is is completely different, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
It was. Not sure if it was the loudest game but it was the loudest on TV since the home opener. I wish they would turn the mics up for the Jets games to the point where you can barely here the announcers. It would be so much more exciting and make you feel like you were there.

Last edited by Jet: 12-14-2011 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Leave the personal commentary out of it.
BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:01 AM
jetsfan85*

Last few games tsn Jets has made the mics a lot better soundign for tv viewers, which is great.

Boston game was deafening forsure, but this mine game was not that far off. These games are all so loud...so just keep having fun. Its so fun to be a Winnipeger again and cheer our ***** off for our team.