HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phoenix XLI: Bongo Fury

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2011, 03:09 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
I dont think SD's been brought up before, and Id ask Hans' if it ever had however, might be a problem with his memory. It seems a lot of San Diegans cant even remember if pots legal, nor do they care. Hey ho.
A) Chris is actually giving a knee-jerk reaction to me, since I'm actually in favor of a San Diego AHL team as part of any eventual move of about five AHL franchises into the West, and he somehow sees this as a personal attack on him - he somehow has identified the AHL with his personal identity, and consistently confuses his own opinions with league policy - thus, any attempt to even speculate on franchise movement in that league is seen by him as an attack on him personally. He also holds grudges against me for numerous smack downs he's received from me as well as others on other boards for his incoherency and inability to argue rationally and logically... So any post I make is greeted with this kind of screed.

B) San Diego has genuinely been brought up a couple of times in speculative threads for NHL team destinations. My part in these threads has been only to provide local perspective - the arena is definitely NHL unsuitable, but I've come back on people who have dismissed it as able to host -any- level of hockey. I think that's a nuance that some people overlook.

C) IT WAS A JOKE, PEOPLE!!! I was satirizing some of the posts from fans in (insert city here) who make it seem like their city is the only acceptable destination for any portable franchise. San Diego is, alas, not a viable NHL market at this moment in time, and won't be for at least the next decade.

Can we go back to jokes about "two weeks" and arguing over whether the team will land in Markham or QC now?

Old
12-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Evil Doctor
Cryin' Hank crying

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Uhmm - this comes after last weeks Special Meeting - a Strategic Planning Retreat. You can just envision Scruggs, Lieberman, and Beasley soaking in a hot tub planning their next careers.
So a Strategic Planning Retreat to plan a strategic retreat?

Old
12-14-2011, 05:41 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Leaving/Goodbye All

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Seriously? Freaking everybody views Quebec City as the overwhelming frontrunner to land an NHL team, whether it be through relocation or expansion. The only people that bring up Hamilton over Quebec are folks from Hamilton that desperately want a team to come to their market.
Well, I am from Hamilton(ish) and I do not believe we have a chance in hell of getting a franchise. As a Ticat Season Ticket holder... I am kinda glad.

Old
12-15-2011, 01:14 AM
Niagara67

The year is 2042. Interest in hockey in the USA has waned for many years now..the economy taking its toll as well. Canada is now the richest nation on the planet thanks to its natural resources. The 2041 Stanley Cup saw the Kenora Thistles win their 1st cup in 134 years..edging the Moncton Beavers 4 games to 3. Yes, the NHL is still a 30-team league - but with 29 teams in Canada ... plus the Phoenix Coyotes. The Phoenix franchise is the lone remaining US team. The City of Glendale has spent $955 million to keep the team afloat through all these years, while other US cities lost their teams - Detroit, Boston, even NY.

OK seriously now, somehow I have this feeling that Florida will unexpectedly move to Quebec City for 2012-13, as the COG will once again fund the Coyotes in Phoenix for yet another season.

Old
12-15-2011, 01:34 AM
Sergei Goldenhands
Used Registerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagara67 View Post
The year is 2042. Interest in hockey in the USA has waned for many years now..the economy taking its toll as well. Canada is now the richest nation on the planet thanks to its natural resources. The 2041 Stanley Cup saw the Kenora Thistles win their 1st cup in 134 years..edging the Moncton Beavers 4 games to 3. Yes, the NHL is still a 30-team league - but with 29 teams in Canada ... plus the Phoenix Coyotes. The Phoenix franchise is the lone remaining US team. The City of Glendale has spent $955 million to keep the team afloat through all these years, while other US cities lost their teams - Detroit, Boston, even NY.

OK seriously now, somehow I have this feeling that Florida will unexpectedly move to Quebec City for 2012-13, as the COG will once again fund the Coyotes in Phoenix for yet another season.
the first part of your post is more likely to happen than the second part.

Old
12-15-2011, 12:15 PM
NHL Rules NBA Sux
Watcha gonna do!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagara67 View Post

Umm... no. Florida has literally 0% chance of relocating, at least in the foreseeable future. You're thinking about what happened last year when everyone thought Phoenix was going to end up being relocated to Winnipeg and Atlanta ended up moving instead. The Panthers have a sweetheart deal with the Bank Atlantic Center in which they make money off other events that take place there. Not to mention the desirable location the arena itself is in. Phoenix OTOH has a terrible lease with Jobing.com arena and their building was built away from where most of the existing fanbase resides (downtown Phoenix and Scottsdale)

The Panthers situation is nothing like Atlanta's either. The Thrashers shared ownership and their arena with their NBA team. They were essentially the proverbial red-headed stepchild that no one wanted which is why ASG unloaded them the first chance they got. Supposedly ASG never even wanted the Thrashers in the first place but had to take them in order to get the basketball team (don't quote me on this, as I'm not sure of all the details of this situation) The NHL probably would have done more to save Atlanta had their hands not been full with the situation in Phoenix.

The league has already said they are not going to own the team past this year. This upcoming year will be the time to put up or shut up for the Coyotes. My personal opinions on what is going to happen have already been stated by many others in this thread. Being that I support hockey in the sunbelt, I really hope they can find an owner and stay in the desert. Unfortunately I just don't see that happening as the team is hemorrhaging money and would probably be better off elsewhere (probably QC)

Old
12-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Bob1321

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blo...insider/150843

Coyotes vote not certain next week

Old
12-15-2011, 02:07 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by marillion-fan View Post
Umm... no. Florida has literally 0% chance of relocating, at least in the foreseeable future. You're thinking about what happened last year when everyone thought Phoenix was going to end up being relocated to Winnipeg and Atlanta ended up moving instead. The Panthers have a sweetheart deal with the Bank Atlantic Center in which they make money off other events that take place there. Not to mention the desirable location the arena itself is in. Phoenix OTOH has a terrible lease with Jobing.com arena and their building was built away from where most of the existing fanbase resides (downtown Phoenix and Scottsdale)
This. There seriously needs to be a sticky topic or something like that detailing exactly why the Panthers have zero chance of relocating any time soon, given how often they're brought up by posters as a candidate.

Old
12-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Chief Ten Bears*

Quote:
This. There seriously needs to be a sticky topic or something like that detailing exactly why the Panthers have zero chance of relocating any time soon, given how often they're brought up by posters as a candidate.
I can appreciate this, and I don't know myself... But I can copy and paste the exact same sentiments from posters about 8 months ago in the Atlanta threads...

So you never know...

Old
12-15-2011, 02:28 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Leaving/Goodbye All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Ten Bears View Post
I can appreciate this, and I don't know myself... But I can copy and paste the exact same sentiments from posters about 8 months ago in the Atlanta threads...

So you never know...
LOL!

Haven't we also heard this in the Coyote thread for years? The team was unmovable. The lease was unbreakable. Now even the most ardent supporters are wondering if this will be the last year.

At the end of the day... Canada will take what Canada wants so get over it!!!!

Old
12-15-2011, 02:41 PM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by marillion-fan View Post
I'd love to hear what is/was so terrible about the Coyotes' lease of Jobing.com Arena. What is it exactly? This is another myth that keeps getting repeated. The city put up most of the money to build the facility and handed over most of the revenue streams to the owners of the Coyotes. Are there sweater deals out there? Most probably. Heck, the city of Nashville paid for part of the expansion fee as part of their package to lure the NHL to that city. The COG is currently paying the NHL $25 million per year to have an NHL team in their building which they paid for and gave to the Coyotes. (Nashville similarly pays millions each year to subsidize the Predators' operations as part of the deal they struck to keep team in Tennessee.)

Old
12-15-2011, 02:47 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Leaving/Goodbye All

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAROONSRoad View Post
I'd love to hear what is/was so terrible about the Coyotes' lease of Jobing.com Arena. What is it exactly? This is another myth that keeps getting repeated. The city put up most of the money to build the facility and handed over most of the revenue streams to the owners of the Coyotes. Are there sweater deals out there? Most probably. Heck, the city of Nashville paid for part of the expansion fee as part of their package to lure the NHL to that city. The COG is currently paying the NHL $25 million per year to have an NHL team in their building which they paid for and gave to the Coyotes. (Nashville similarly pays millions each year to subsidize the Predators' operations as part of the deal they struck to keep team in Tennessee.)
All we have to do is take a barrel of that black stuff that we have so much of or that clear stuff that is so wonderful to drink and and say:

Canadians : "You want some of this?"

Americans : "Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah..."

Canadians : "Okay, if the Coyotes are playing in QC city next year we'll think about selling it to you at $100/barrel."

Americans : "DEAL!!!"

A Win-Win!!!

Old
12-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Jesus Christ Horburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1321 View Post
I've generally been away from these threads for about six months now, but how credible is Lisa Halverstadt? Rather, how familiar and/or close is she to the situation? I was mostly used to reading updates about the situation from Rebekah Sanders or *shudder* Mike Sunnucks.

A lot of that article seems like her own optimistic speculation, specifically this part:

Quote:
Still, Glendale officials are working furiously on agreements with two bidding groups who hope to buy the Coyotes. They have up to 24 hours before the Tuesday gathering to add a Coyotes item to their agenda, though meeting details are generally posted on the city website by Friday afternoon.

Old
12-15-2011, 03:06 PM
matCH penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
All we have to do is take a barrel of that black stuff
Damn you. I was just about to post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
At the end of the day... Canada will take what Canada wants so get over it!!!!
And if they don't like it, they can always run their SUVs on someone else's oil.

You have to stop using up all the jokes.

Old
12-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Scottrocks58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by matCH penalty View Post

And if they don't like it, they can always run their SUVs on someone else's oil.

Go build your own refineries instead of asking for a cross continental environmental disaster in the waiting to be built in our country.

Old
12-15-2011, 03:21 PM
Whileee

I think it is high time that we start nominating journalists for various categories of journalist pieces. I am sure that everyone has their favourites for each category, but I think that Lisa Halverstadt might soon challenge all comers in the "HUH?" category.

She has most recently distinguished herself with the following completely contradictory statements, in the same article.

Quote:
Still, Glendale officials are working furiously on agreements with two bidding groups who hope to buy the Coyotes. They have up to 24 hours before the Tuesday gathering to add a Coyotes item to their agenda, though meeting details are generally posted on the city website by Friday afternoon.

And so Glendale officials wait.

"We're at a point where we are waiting for the private parties to line things up in order for us to take the next steps we need to take," Tindall said.

Old
12-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Hawker14

Quote:
Glendale officials are working furiously
lol, sure they are. furiously at a glacial pace.

Old
12-15-2011, 03:38 PM
rt
Kim Jong-tipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1321 View Post
I was just going to point out that...

"We're at a point where we are waiting for the private parties to line things up in order for us to take the next steps we need to take," Tindall said.

...seems to be a tremendous contradiction to what we've heard recently.

Old
12-15-2011, 03:42 PM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
Go build your own refineries instead of asking for a cross continental environmental disaster in the waiting to be built in our country.
Who are you referring to? Do you actually think it is average Canadians, rather than multinational corporations many of them US based, that are asking for the pipeline?

Old
12-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
If Im not mistaken, the Panthers Lease runs through 2028 (or thereabouts) and despite anemic attendance over the past decade of late they seem to be turning it around on the ice (Tallon) and the building itself is actually profitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
...completely contradictory statements, in the same article.
I wish I could Whileee. This sort of things been going on since fall 2008. I mean, which is it?!.

Old
12-15-2011, 03:51 PM
Brodie
voted best

they're working furiously at punting responsibility for the team's eventual move.

Old
12-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
they're working furiously at punting responsibility for the team's eventual move.
It certainly seems so. Rugby Rules. No forward passes. Punt if it looks like your about to get creamed with no one in the rear to pass the ball back to...

Old
12-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Scottrocks58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I doubt that. Arizona politics are funny that way. They won't need a scapegoat to get reelected should the team leave.

Old
12-15-2011, 04:32 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Leaving/Goodbye All

Quote:
Originally Posted by matCH penalty View Post

LMAO!!!

Better to let me make the jokes so I will be the one that gets banned.

Old
12-15-2011, 04:35 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Leaving/Goodbye All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post

For the next month I (along with many Canadians) will be in the International Section of HF during the WJR's.

Mark my words Scottrocks, you will miss me/us.

Closed Thread