HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix XLI: Bongo Fury

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2011, 09:27 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgJetsfan View Post
Wasn't this similar to what was said about the Atlanta Situation?
Reading what the NHL is now reporting compared to before and how similar it was to the Atlanta situation, this team is done by season end. No owner and the team will relocate for sure! Most people say Quebec but who knows.
Very similar. I agree it does not look good for the team.

MOD

Last edited by Fugu: 12-10-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: OT :)
Old
12-08-2011, 09:41 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

vCash: 50
i've been laughing at your signature pic for the last 30 min and still chuckling. so random and so funny!! - thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Well, Im not Gumper', because these "visitors" Fugu refers to with their bizarro URL's?;

Old
12-08-2011, 10:09 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzappa View Post
i've been laughing at your signature pic for the last 30 min and still chuckling. so random and so funny!! - thx.

If you enjoy random and funny, Killion is here all week. And the week after that, and that, and soforth.

Old
12-08-2011, 10:11 PM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAROONSRoad View Post
I'm not following this. Are you suggesting that any potential lenders, investors or venture capital funds would not demand and receive all of the financial information about the Coyotes that is now available to the public (even if it had not been made public)? If you are suggesting that, I believe you are wrong. That's not the way financial institutions and most investors operate.
The "numbers" can be sliced many ways. The "numbers" as presented to the prior bankruptcy case has been disected by some, and interpreted in a variety of ways. The "numbers" since the NHL have been deposed in efforts to secure public funds, and bonds. As such they have been disected and interpreted in a variety of ways.

In the realm of finance, the information provided will be only as complete as the seller wishes to portray to make his case. Wether it be for bankruptcy or investment, the numbers will slant to support that argument, guaranteed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCapp View Post
I'm thinking no sane banker would loan money to this enterprise, given it's short-term realities AND long-term prospects, without a punitive "risk premium".

I doubt Jamison is finding an investor willing to put money into a franchise purchase, without either a guaranteed annual return, or a rate that doesn't read to all involved as "substantial doubt" in its long-term success.
The strength of the person in search of lending also plays a hand. If you have an excellent track record of profitability, the business model from the past won't taint the offer as much as you think. Now, I am not familiar with Jamison and his prior dealings in business, so I cannot offer an opinion of his "Credit Worthiness". I am only addressing the initial statement that no sane banker would lend money to this enterprise. If someone came along with a track record of converting feces into caviar, then the "numbers" of the prior ownership mean nothing.

Old
12-08-2011, 10:12 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
If you enjoy random and funny, Killion is here all week. And the week after that, and that, and soforth.
Everyone likes Killion.

A little on the verbose side but still very likable.

Old
12-08-2011, 10:14 PM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

Quote:

He may also want to check the Archives.... Killion is almost up to a Billion posts by now.

Old
12-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Killion is here all week.
Well no, youve got Dylan in ta spell me for a coupla nights. Good luck reading his posts. Talk about OT. Remember last time?. Some poor poster got up his nose and it was full on dilated pupil time with...

Jerrys in the basement
mixin up the medicine
Im on the pavement
thinkin bout the government
The man in the trenchcoat
badge out laid off
says he's gotta a bad cough
wants to get it paid off
lookout kid
its somethin ya did
God knows when
but yer doin it again
you better duck down the alleyway
lookin for a new friend
The man in the coon-skin cap
by the Big Pen
wants eleven dollars
you only got ten....

and on & on & on & on filling 3 pages of a thread.

Old
12-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Whileee

A bit OT, but did you catch the big news story about the NBA (who own the Hornets) pulled out of a deal to trade Paul to the LA Lakers? Reporters are indicating that the rest of the owners objected to the trade on the basis that it favoured the Lakers, one of the league's darlings.

It shows how absurd it is for the league to own a franchise.

I wonder what would happen if the NHL-owned Coyotes tried to trade Yandle to the Bruins for a future 2nd round pick? Would the other teams on the BoG demand that Bettman have the trade rescinded?

Old
12-08-2011, 10:54 PM
blues10

Quote:
Well no, youve got Dylan in ta spell me for a coupla nights. Good luck reading his posts. Talk about OT. Remember last time?. Some poor poster got up his nose and it was full on dilated pupil time with...

Jerrys in the basement
mixin up the medicine
Im on the pavement
badge out laid off
wants to get it paid off
lookout kid
its somethin ya did
God knows when
but yer doin it again
lookin for a new friend
by the Big Pen
wants eleven dollars
you only got ten

Is Hulsizer back in the running for the Coyotes?

Old
12-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllByDesign View Post
....almost up to a Billion posts by now.
The Blue Meenies here have deleted prolly double that number on me. Its an old trick they learned from Jerry Moyes on his leased Swift rigs. Crank back the odometer in the middle of the night. Good luck with the buy out on that one Bazooka Joe. Then your really stuck. Accumulated VBucks nowhere near enough to pay your way out, indentured servitude.

Old
12-08-2011, 11:51 PM
not a trapdoor
I swallowed my keys

Send a message via MSN to not a trapdoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
A bit OT, but did you catch the big news story about the NBA (who own the Hornets) pulled out of a deal to trade Paul to the LA Lakers? Reporters are indicating that the rest of the owners objected to the trade on the basis that it favoured the Lakers, one of the league's darlings.

It shows how absurd it is for the league to own a franchise.
The trade itself pretty much shows what's wrong with the NBA (in terms of why the owners went for a lockout), too. Here we have a bunch of small market owners losing money & unable to compete with the big boys (thanks to a soft "cap" & a luxury tax that doesn't stop teams from the Lakers from outspending the small market teams).

The team in arguably the most trouble looks to trade away their star player for pieces, just so they don't end up with nothing when he hits free agency (see: Cleveland Cavaliers). The Lakers are able to offer a bad deal & the Hornets take it purely because it's better than nothing.

The upshot of this for the NHL: as messed up as the Phoenix situation is (and in truth it's more of a mess than in NO), the fact that the Coyotes are still able to ice a competitive team speaks volumes for the cap - it keeps the league competitive and allows the small market teams (like Phoenix, given their small fanbase) to have a chance against the massive clubs. If they were operating under NBA cap rules, they'd be pretty much giving assets away to teams like the Rangers & Leafs.

Last edited by not a trapdoor: 12-08-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old
12-09-2011, 05:22 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllByDesign View Post
He may also want to check the Archives.... Killion is almost up to a Billion posts by now.
Speaking of the archives, I went back and read through the first thread.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=581188

It's a fun read!

Old
12-09-2011, 05:25 AM
tobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzappa View Post
Random? You infidel! This painting is called 'The Son of Man'. Made by the famous Belgian surrealist René Magritte.

Old
12-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobo View Post
Random? You infidel! This painting is called 'The Son of Man'. Made by the famous Belgian surrealist René Magritte.
Im not sure what it was that set MoonZappa up there into a paroxysm of the giggles while floating in space. Was it Ancient Aliens Giorgio Tsoukalos whose antique hairdo appears to be the nesting grounds for a Flock of Seagulls'?. Or Margitte's enigmatic signature piece, the genuine copy stolen by the notorious Thomas Crown from the lobby of L'Hotel at 262 rue St. Jacques in old Montreal along with a couple of Chagalls, a Hockney and a Warhol; replaced with fakes?.... No matter. Carry on.

Old
12-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Tinalera

Quote:

Jerrys in the basement
mixin up the medicine
Im on the pavement
badge out laid off
wants to get it paid off
lookout kid
its somethin ya did
God knows when
but yer doin it again
lookin for a new friend
by the Big Pen
wants eleven dollars
you only got ten....

Funny, reading this and also in the thread about how people spread the numbers around, reminds me of a line from a Don Henley tune I heard the other day (and not I am not calling YOU a liar K, just reading this thread lately reminded me of the song )

"I'm a gun for hire, I'm a saint I'm a liar,
Because there are no facts, there is no truth,
just data to be manipulated,
I can get any result you like,
what's it worth to ya?"

Garden of Allah

Old
12-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Garden of Allah
The End of Innocence.

Old
12-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
The End of Innocence.
Yea, it truly is (nice touch btw )-there isn't much you can actually read anymore that can't be bent seven ways to sunday.

And lets face it, as I said, sometimes this whole saga has made me think of "data to be manipulated"!

Old
12-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

I came on here to check out what people were saying about the recent MLSE deal, and here I see a brand new Phoenix thread with a rather odd title. I'm thinking there must be some news...

...nope...apparently I've been away so long that the total mass of all the previous threads has turned this into an unstoppable behemoth that keeps going out of pure inertia...

...which means it's only a matter of time before MLSE buys this thread....

Old
12-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
The Blue Meenies here have deleted prolly double that number on me. Its an old trick they learned from Jerry Moyes on his leased Swift rigs. Crank back the odometer in the middle of the night. Good luck with the buy out on that one Bazooka Joe. Then your really stuck. Accumulated VBucks nowhere near enough to pay your way out, indentured servitude.
Masterfully done. A nice creative spurt you got going here.

Old
12-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
...nice creative spurt you got going here.
And you!. Thanks for giving the vBookie my URL Address. Now he's looking to collect and he's not being polite or nice about it AT ALL. So much for buying anyone any presents this year. I'll just have to "re-gift" that Pickle Castor, Vintage Brunswick Bowling Ball & Wal-Mart Wall Stencil Set I got last year I guess...

Old
12-10-2011, 12:26 AM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

Quote:
Sorry... should be 2 billion

Old
12-10-2011, 11:34 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/m...y-exit-on.html

Phoenix Business Journal (AKA PBJ - peanut butter jelly )

Quote:
Some Glendale officials say there is still a chance the Glendale City Council could act on Jamison’s bid this month. Sources familiar with the Coyotes deal say he is essentially first in line to buy the team and keep them playing in the Phoenix market.

Others aren’t holding their breath on that and still think City Manager Ed Beasley and other officials want to take another stab at doing a deal with Reinsdorf and Kaites, who have made previous bids for the team that have not been consummated.
The city could be on the hook for another $25 million after this season if a new ownership deal and arena lease aren’t approved.

Old
12-10-2011, 11:47 AM
goalie311

Quote:
The city could be on the hook for another $25 million after this season if a new ownership deal and arena lease aren’t approved.
You.
Have.
Got.
To.
Be.
Kidding.

Well, that's all well and good - but hasn't the NHL already stated they wouldn't be owning this team past this season?

Old
12-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Phoenix Business Journal (AKA PBJ - peanut butter jelly )
..."peanut butter jelly"

Old
12-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Jr Shabadoo View Post

You.
Have.
Got.
To.
Be.
Kidding.

Well, that's all well and good - but hasn't the NHL already stated they wouldn't be owning this team past this season?

If the Coyotes somehow weasel out of relocation to Quebec City and stay in Glendale owned by the NHL and without an owner for one more bloody year I dont know what I'll do!

And dont say that this is impossible, last year we also believed that the NHL wouldn't own the Coyotes for one more year without an owner, yet they somehow accepted another 25 millions from the city and stayed put!

Closed Thread