HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blue Jackets Hire Senior Advisor Hockey Operations

Old
12-08-2011, 08:43 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
Again, it's probably just me, but I see it as an obvious strong arm move to clean up, which we probably need to do, but I just fear I'm not gonna like it once it begins. I'm well aware of what he did in Pitt. Some would say he removed the country club atmosphere and put the Pens on a winning course. Corporations hire those type all the time when a change in direction is needed. I'm all for changing direction because I do find fault with the way this team has been led. BUT I think if you are serious about a change in leadership, then change the leadership. That's all I'm saying. Otherwise it's a joke.
A fair concern Coug. The way I see it is this, having a top to bottom cleaning is not a good thing when you have inexperienced people leading it.... If nothing else, Patrick's opinion and reputation should affect things for the positive if a cleanout happens... more confident today than yesterday of the franchise's ability to put the right people in place if some in the hockey ops department are let go.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:17 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Summarizing the discussion so far: "Why?"

Looking forward to the presser, the spin, and then the other shoe dropping.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:20 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

I think the key to judging the potential effect of this move will be, "to whom does Patrick report, Howson or Priest?" As for Patrick being a potential replacement for Howson, I think his desire to remain headquartered in Pittsburgh and, essentially, work from home makes that less likely.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Summarizing the discussion so far: "Why?"

Looking forward to the presser, the spin, and then the other shoe dropping.
Oh dear lord.

Can someone with a little time dig up that this move has been in the works or at least discussed by the organ-eye-zation for months and that we (many posters) expected someone to be named to this position during the past offseason?

NVM. It's in today's story:

Quote:
The Blue Jackets have hired former Pittsburgh Penguins and New York Rangers GM Craig Patrick to serve as senior adviser in the hockey operations department. It's a position the Blue Jackets have been trying to fill for more than a year, and with this hire they've landed a hockey lifer, a member of a legendary hockey family.
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...r-advisor.html

Now, someone find the archival coverage of this position as part of the organ-eye-zation's plan outlined way back when.

Old
12-08-2011, 10:19 AM
davidbklyn

I like this hire. I see it as Patrick nudging Priest back into his corner office. I've felt like there is bound to be a disconnect between Priest and the players. Howson is on an island in Columbus, building (loose term) a team in a vacuum and Priest as his only sounding board.

I agree that another set of eyes is important. I imagine Patrick having more of an impact in the dressing room than Priest ever could. The problem here has been largely systemic, and this is tweaking the system in a good way.

davidbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Oh dear lord.

Can someone with a little time dig up that this move has been in the works or at least discussed by the organ-eye-zation for months and that we (many posters) expected someone to be named to this position during the past offseason?

NVM. It's in today's story:

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...r-advisor.html

Now, someone find the archival coverage of this position as part of the organ-eye-zation's plan outlined way back when.
If I had the spare time, I imagine I could go back and even find the flamewars over whether or not such a hiring was a reasonable move versus just firing everybody and starting afresh.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
If I had the spare time, I imagine I could go back and even find the flamewars over whether or not such a hiring was a reasonable move versus just firing everybody and starting afresh.
Of course.

Point being this (naming someone to such a post/title) should not come as a surprise. The reasons for said were also well-established.

Double-Shift Lassé is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:01 AM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
Patrick's performance has been uneven. He built a great Pens team in the late 80's early 90's and made a bunch of boneheaded moves later, causing the Pens to be so bad they drafted 1st or 2nd for 4 consecutive years.

I hope the Jackets get the good Patrick. I think he has a tendency to take boom/bust type risks regularly.
he didn't make those boneheaded moves, the team's economic picture at the time dictated those moves. The only bad trade he made was the Naslund deal, but then again, that Pens team was so loaded at the time, Naslund had no shot of cracking the roster. Patrick is a great talent evaluator, while he was the primary mover & shaker in the 90s Cup teams, he also had a huge hand in building the '09 Pens Cup team as well. This is a solid move by Columbus...

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:15 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Again, it's probably just me, but I see it as an obvious strong arm move to clean up, which we probably need to do, but I just fear I'm not gonna like it once it begins. I'm well aware of what he did in Pitt. Some would say he removed the country club atmosphere and put the Pens on a winning course. Corporations hire those type all the time when a change in direction is needed. I'm all for changing direction because I do find fault with the way this team has been led. BUT I think if you are serious about a change in leadership, then change the leadership. That's all I'm saying. Otherwise it's a joke.
I don't think he was a "tough guy" in Pittsburgh, who came down on the roster and put them in their place. I believe he was more of a "talent" and "roster builder" guy. I believe he developed their amateur scouting team, which is one of the very best in the NHL. Many fans want to know why Pittsburgh kept winning last year and this season without Crosby and Malkin. It's their scouting staff. They know what they want, and they find the players that fit their system. Their system was defined by Patrick over 20 years ago.

Pittsburgh values resilience and mental toughness very highly. The talent difference between players at this level just isn't that great. The difference is often commitment to constant improvement, and resilience when things go sideways. The Pens draft to that model and it pays off by having guys drafted relatively late and becoming very good. A few good examples of this are: Goligoski (2nd round pick, legitimate #2 defenseman) Letang (3rd round pick and #1 defenseman) and our own Letestu. Letestu wasn't even drafted! The Pens signed him out of Western Michigan University. The Jackets can't even get all of their high 1st rounders to the NHL (see Filatov and Picard), they have 2nd round picks like Legien, Lindstrom and soon add Kevin Lynch wash out due to lack of resilience.

He has the potential to bring exactly what this team needs, vision and higher standards.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 02:07 PM
CBJCougar

Thanks Keith and Leek for your insight. Hope you're right!!

But is what Pete said true? He's working from home???

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 02:32 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks Keith and Leek for your insight. Hope you're right!!

This is from PuckRakers:

"Patrick will retain his home in Pittsburgh and make the city his home base, but he expects to travel to Columbus or wherever he is needed whenever it is prudent."

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 02:55 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Oh dear lord.

Another interesting thing, Howson has been given permission for this type of hire since 2006 or something silly like that (isn't that when he got here). I saw that somewhere, Dispatch most likely.

But yeah, there was talk this off season about trying to find someone but ultimately they couldn't find someone (I remember talking about Howson "consolidating power"). I think it was Priest or maybe JPM that said it, it was in the Dispatch I believe.

Despite the message being sent (someone educated speculation here), I would not be the least bit surprised if pressure on Howson to hire someone in this capacity was building to a fever pitch.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 02:59 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Yep, Pete filled that in for you. If you are concerned, I wouldn't be. This role doesn't require relocation.

Old
12-08-2011, 03:12 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
From GMScottHowson twitter account

Wikipedia entry on Craig Patrick
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Patrick
This looks to be a good hire. What has he been doing since he was the GM of the Penguins?

Last edited by RDriesenUD: 12-08-2011 at 03:19 PM.
RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Pigs On The Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
This looks to be a good hire. What has he been doing since he was the GM of the Penguins?
Not much. He took a break from the game.

Pigs On The Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 04:00 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definition View Post
Not much. He took a break from the game.
Thanks.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 08:38 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
This is from PuckRakers:

"Patrick will retain his home in Pittsburgh and make the city his home base, but he expects to travel to Columbus or wherever he is needed whenever it is prudent."
This is why I think there's no need to worry that Patrick would have this great desire to step into the role of a GM. I could see him coming to town in the event that Howson and Arniel are sent packing and use his vast network of contacts to get candidates in here for interviews, meetings, etc. I think the GM bug is out of his system, I'm not sure he would have the energy to everything thats required longterm, but I think he could be the best replacement on a short term, interim-basis, while he moves the process of replacements forward.

Kind of like when a wolf picks off a few sheep from the flock and the shepard guides the flock into calmer pastures...

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Craig Patrick

I haven't been on the boards for a bit (taking a break from the action, so to speak); but I thought I would come in and provide some feedback on this hiring.

I grew up in Columbus, as a lifelong hockey fan, and primarily a fan of the Penguins. I was there for the Craig Patrick era, as a Pens fan. I was always a huge Craig Patrick fan. What I loved about the Patrick-era Penguins is that, much like the current rendition of the Detroit Red Wings, there were a few core players that always led the way (Jagr, Lemieux, Francis); but for the most part, whoever else came into or out of the lineup, found ways to be competitive, and played within the system. The Penguins may not have won the Stanley Cup every year, but hardly a year went by when they weren't very competitive. I'll never forget the 2001 version that marched all the way to the Conference Finals ... a season that really sticks out for me as the most memorable one I've ever had.

Definitely, there were some draft blunders, and some confusing trades made. That being said, it's hard to knock the guy's track record - whether it be pre-Pittsburgh, or Pittsburgh involved. Two Stanley Cups, and he was a big part of putting together the team that won it just recently. Call me a big fan of Craig Patrick. I really, sincerely hope that this helps get the Jackets moving in the right direction. At this point, anything has to help.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 03:39 PM
The Toaster

Is this a way of Howson saying he can't do his job?

The Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I think the key to judging the potential effect of this move will be, "to whom does Patrick report, Howson or Priest?" As for Patrick being a potential replacement for Howson, I think his desire to remain headquartered in Pittsburgh and, essentially, work from home makes that less likely.
Bump to revisit this question. Has it ever been answered?

Old
01-05-2012, 12:33 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Do you want speculation or a real answer? The real answer is that he's a Howson hire and there is no reason to think that he is reporting to that side of the management chain. I haven't seen anything to suggest it's any other way.

If you want speculation, well I'm sure you'll get plenty of conspiracy theories. There won't be a good avenue to validate without a leak inside the Jackets org.

Old
01-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Not to my knowledge, but I'd be curious also.

Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Do you want speculation or a real answer? The real answer is that he's a Howson hire and there is no reason to think that he is reporting to that side of the management chain. I haven't seen anything to suggest it's any other way.

If you want speculation, well I'm sure you'll get plenty of conspiracy theories. There won't be a good avenue to validate without a leak inside the Jackets org.
If no one in the org. is saying how can there be a real answer?

At the risk of propagating one of your aforementioned conspiracy theories, unless there's a reason not to make it public, what's the harm? I mean sure, "we don't have to tell you" is a sort-of-valid answer, but again, why?

EDIT: Thought of this question too late for Portzline's chat today. Not to suggest he knows...

Old
01-05-2012, 01:18 PM
blahblah

Quote:
If no one in the org. is saying how can there be a real answer?
Because Howson announced him as his hire in a role that is aligned with Howson. I doubt it occurred to anyone in the org that there would be a question by the fans, because there really isn't room for the question. Any other explanation moves into the realm of conspiracy. At that point the org would be intentionally misleading us and they certainly aren't going to tip their hand now.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Because Howson announced him as his hire in a role that is aligned with Howson. I doubt it occurred to anyone in the org that there would be a question by the fans, because there really isn't room for the question. Any other explanation moves into the realm of conspiracy. At that point the org would be intentionally misleading us and they certainly aren't going to tip their hand now.
Yeah I should have just done the digging on my own. This is kinda what I was looking for, I just never bothered to look. Sorry.

Quote:
Patrick, 65, will be responsible for advising the general manager on trades, free agent signings, as well as evaluating Blue Jackets prospects playing for the club’s minor pro affiliates – Springfield Falcons (American Hockey League) and Chicago Express (ECHL) – and at the collegiate and major junior levels.
http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=605252

I don't suppose it precludes the org. firing Howson and replacing him with Patrick (even on an interim basis), but I would say it's a less-than-clear-cut option.