HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Part XXII

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2011, 01:11 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
YES. I love Carlin, as you can see.

I agree with you to an extent - the players nowadays are completely coddled and catered too. Bob Baun played on a BROKEN LEG in the SCF. A broken leg.

Some of these players miss a week due to a broken nail.
Statements like this just make me think how naive so much of the fanbase is. People say these kinds of things all the time, but the fact is, players are skating with ailments that if an average person had, would have a problem working a desk job. I'm sure there's a handful of players who are total sissies and would take a day off for some minor bruising or whatever, that is definitely not the majority in the NHL (those players would be out of the lineup so fast).

Do you think you can take some of those hits and then be able to refocus and try to skate another shift within a few minutes? Please... people act like athletes are special or something and that injuries don't apply to them. I've bruised my shins/knees before, and it hurts when it walks, let alone running or skating.

Yeah, ok, I agree, athletes do need to live with some minor ailments, you can't take a day off because you got a few bruises, but pretty much all of the athletes do already deal w/ those problems without missing games. Making an example about a guy playing with a broken bone.. That's not just toughing it out, that can actually cause more (and more severe) damage to the leg. Trying to set that as the expectation's just ridiculous.

Old
12-11-2011, 01:59 AM
mcsauer2738

I do agree that it is asinine for a player to play on a broken leg. But as far as these suspensions, "illegal hits", and concussions goes, these players are marys. To sit out more than a game with a concussion is a travesty and that player should check their panties if they need to sit out for longer than that. As for these illegal hits, yes an elbow directly targetted at the head should be suspendible but when its just a guy gets his elbow/arms up on a hit and makes contact with the head winds up in a suspension that's where you need to draw the line. Enough of the ************* of the nhl

Old
12-11-2011, 02:03 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
I do agree that it is asinine for a player to play on a broken leg. But as far as these suspensions, "illegal hits", and concussions goes, these players are marys. To sit out more than a game with a concussion is a travesty and that player should check their panties if they need to sit out for longer than that. As for these illegal hits, yes an elbow directly targetted at the head should be suspendible but when its just a guy gets his elbow/arms up on a hit and makes contact with the head winds up in a suspension that's where you need to draw the line. Enough of the ************* of the nhl
I've seen some dumb posts on these boards in my time, but this one takes the cake. Especially the bolded sentence. You realize Savard couldn't even turn on the lights without getting sick because of a concussion.

Have you ever had one? I can tell you haven't. Don't make comments on topics you are so clearly uninformed of.

Read a book or an article and learn something today. Because I am sure, that this is the worst post I have ever seen.

Old
12-11-2011, 02:18 AM
Kershaw

Agreed. Do you guys play ANY contact sports? I play football and was diagnosed with a concussion. That was terrible, I didn't even know what happened. My mom always woke me up in the middle of the night to get me water since she was afraid of me passing out. This went on for 2 weeks, it got irritating too. But the headaches were just unbearable, it hurt like hell when ever I went outside. For about the next year and a half, I didn't play contact sports. It does take a toll on you mentally. I can understand why some players are cautious about concussions.

Old
12-11-2011, 02:29 AM
trilobyte

Quote:
The NHL is getting absurd with these suspensions, it's becoming a joke. Crosby gets a concussion and sits out for nearly a year, ARE YOU KIDDING ME. I got concussions in high school football and stood up collected myself and got right back in there, these players today are soft. The Sutton hit wasn't even that bad imo, yeah he left his feet but big deal sometimes momentum carries you and when you're loading up for a hit you unload upwards. I hate where this league is going, and all sports for that matter, the ************* of america must come to an end.
If you like concussions, and surviving them, fine.
Sutton is an idiot. He is exactly the type of player that the NHL should try to get rid of.

I am not a proponent of fighting. I find it mostly boring. That includes Brandon Prust's endevours. Boring. Would rather see Brandon play hockey, to be honest, though most people around here want to brag about how many games the Rangers win when Brandon picks a fight during the first two minutes.

As though that is some kind of badge of honour. Seriously. that is what people seem to consider important. Last year, Brandon Prust was right up there as a leader in short-handed goals league wide. This year, people are happy because he fights during the first two minutes. Pretty weird what some people's priorities are.

Old
12-11-2011, 02:31 AM
Kershaw

Ask Paul Kariya or Eric Lindros, I bet they regret not taking safety precautions after getting knocked out cold. They probably would still be playing today if they did the things guys in today's NHL are doing.

Last edited by Kershaw: 12-11-2011 at 02:38 AM.
Old
12-11-2011, 02:35 AM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
Regarding the concussions; yeah, if a player has a legitimate, serious concussion, they should definitely sit out...but sitting out because of "headaches"? I find that odd. I get headaches all the time, they're a common thing. Do they hurt? Yeah. but very rarely am I kept from my daily routine from them. That is simply over-protection, IMO.

12-11-2011, 02:40 AM
Draft Guru

Quote:
Most idiotic post I have ever seen in 9 years on these boards.

Old
12-11-2011, 02:40 AM
Kershaw

Which players are missing extensive periods of time over a headache? Besides, headaches in the pre-game skate could possibly be serious, if the player isn't ready to play don't let them.

I can understand a healthy scratch from time-to-time if there is a flu or something. Chara was scratched for something like 2 games in the playoffs I believe, do people question him being babied too much?

Old
12-11-2011, 02:41 AM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Which players are missing extensive periods of time over a headache? Besides, headaches in the pre-game skate could possibly be serious, if the player isn't ready to play don't let them.

I can understand a healthy scratch from time-to-time if there is a flu or something. Chara was scratched for something like 2 games in the playoffs I believe, do people question him being babied too much?
He had serious dehydration. Remember the coke on the bench pic?

Old
12-11-2011, 08:51 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Regarding the concussions; yeah, if a player has a legitimate, serious concussion, they should definitely sit out...but sitting out because of "headaches"? I find that odd. I get headaches all the time, they're a common thing. Do they hurt? Yeah. but very rarely am I kept from my daily routine from them. That is simply over-protection, IMO.
There's all kinds of headaches. Look up tension headaches, cluster headaches and migraines. Not all headaches are the simple kind where you pop 2 ibuprofen and you're better. They can be a seriously debilitating disease. Usually after concussions, they accompany other symptoms such as nausea and dizziness.

Old
12-11-2011, 08:51 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Yeah, headaches are common, but what's different is the cause. You don't get headaches because you got hit in the head and damaged your brain. It has nothing to do with being able to play with the pain. It's about giving the player time to heal properly.

Comparing your headaches to what players suffer from concussions is grossly naive. If you tore your ACL, but it didn't hurt, or only hurt a little, would you play anyway?

Old
12-11-2011, 09:14 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCally View Post
LOL 2 seasons ago the Rangers were next to last in the league with 3 SO wins. That's besides the point though. I put a "help" emoticon because every shootout win for the Devils means 2 points for them and 1 point for another team. Not things I like as a Rangers fan.

And yes Parise did choke. He had a chance to tie the game in the last minute on a penalty shot and couldn't lift the puck. Where's the homerism?
Sorry I got the season wrong...08-09 we had 10 SO wins...where you complaining then?

Old
12-11-2011, 09:18 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
All the work the NHL has done to get rid of headshots...and now everybody is getting concussed.

Giroux was knocked out of the TB game.

AA knocked out of the Rangers game

Hodgson knocked out of Vancouver game

And Mitchell could have very well been knocked out with that blatant elbow from McNabb.

Either the players are being soft, or the helmets are made of dental floss. Messier used to elbow dudes in the head 10 times a game. Gordie Howe did it against guys with no helmets.

That's the famous photo of Rocket Richard. Guy got concussed in the semis, then came back in the same game and was skating circles around Boston with lingering effects.

Bottom line -- either get rid of all types of body checks, or man the hell up and stop babying players. These guys get paid millions of bucks and are insured up the ying yang.

There are soldiers who get shot and blown up in in combat and go right back to front lines once they're cleared which can be as less as 6-12 hours..

Only time I'll ever agree with Don Cherry. I'm starting to think these players are fine and could care less about another head injury.

Just remember -- the guy who graduates last in his medical school class is called.....Doctor. They arent always right.
And we used to have cars with metal dashboards, athletes in the "good ole days" when men were men, didn't workout during the off-season...lots of things change, and the body of knowledge around head injuries isn't the same as it was even 10 years ago.
Erring on the side of player safety is never a bad thing IMO.

Old
12-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
The NHL is getting absurd with these suspensions, it's becoming a joke. Crosby gets a concussion and sits out for nearly a year, ARE YOU KIDDING ME. I got concussions in high school football and stood up collected myself and got right back in there, these players today are soft. The Sutton hit wasn't even that bad imo, yeah he left his feet but big deal sometimes momentum carries you and when you're loading up for a hit you unload upwards. I hate where this league is going, and all sports for that matter, the ************* of america must come to an end.
Not sure if serious...

I think all those concussions you "toughed out" are having an effect on your ability to think rationally.

Old
12-11-2011, 11:54 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

I'm not sure how people can be downplaying concussions when 3 NHL players died last summer as a result of depression brought on by numerous blows to the head. Boogie's death was "accidental" sure, but it only happened because of the multiple concussions he'd suffered. Belak and Rypien both committed suicide because their brain chemistry was messed up.

Players now are bigger, faster, stronger, and wear much more dangerous equipment. In conjunction with the additional knowledge we have about head injuries, that's automatically going to result in more players missing time, and I'm fine with it.

RANGERS =
Old
12-11-2011, 12:04 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
And we used to have cars with metal dashboards, athletes in the "good ole days" when men were men, didn't workout during the off-season...lots of things change, and the body of knowledge around head injuries isn't the same as it was even 10 years ago.
Erring on the side of player safety is never a bad thing IMO.
The number of players who suffer from post-concussion syndrome syndromes that significant hamper their day to day lives (clinical depression, PTSD, anxiety etc) is dwarfed by the gross majority of pro athletes over the last 20 years who took shots to the dome piece and are absolutely fine.

My point is basically this: athletes played through pain for centuries.

Now, they arent allowed to, despite getting paid a lot more than 50 years ago.

They are conditioned to think that "If I have a headache, then I'm not ok to play" or "If I tweak my hamstring, then I cant swing a bat" or "If I throw 120 pitches, I cant pitch anymore"

People act like every pro athlete who gets a concussion goes on to live a life of misery.

For every Paul Kariya or Eric Lindros, there are 1000, maybe 5000 ex-players who are doing just fine.

Old
12-11-2011, 12:08 PM
beastly115

Quote:
The number of players who suffer from post-concussion syndrome syndromes that significant hamper their day to day lives (clinical depression, PTSD, anxiety etc) is dwarfed by the gross majority of pro athletes over the last 20 years who took shots to the dome piece and are absolutely fine.

They are conditioned to think that "If I have a headache, then I'm not ok to play" or "If I tweak my hamstring, then I cant swing a bat" or "If I throw 120 pitches, I cant pitch anymore"

People act like every pro athlete who gets a concussion goes on to live a life of misery.

For every Paul Kariya or Eric Lindros, there are 1000, maybe 5000 ex-players who are doing just fine.
Baseball players are a whole different animal. They're probably the most fragile athletes (read: wussies) in all of sports.

Old
12-11-2011, 12:29 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I'm not sure how people can be downplaying concussions when 3 NHL players died last summer as a result of depression brought on by numerous blows to the head. Boogie's death was "accidental" sure, but it only happened because of the multiple concussions he'd suffered. Belak and Rypien both committed suicide because their brain chemistry was messed up.

Players now are bigger, faster, stronger, and wear much more dangerous equipment. In conjunction with the additional knowledge we have about head injuries, that's automatically going to result in more players missing time, and I'm fine with it.
Boogaard was essentially a boxer. He chose that lifestyle. Same with the other two. All Boogaard had to do was watch Muhammad Ali circa 1995 for all the proof he needed as to what happens to boxers as they age, and the severity of the risks

I have no problem if they ban fighting. I want the NHL to ban coaches and trainers treating every injury like a gunshot wound to the liver.

Old
12-11-2011, 01:00 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

If the NHL really wanted to eliminate this problem, they'd enact one very simple solution. That is, if they cared as much about the health of their players (not to mention the quality of the game) as they do about making every single penny then possibly can.

Install international-sized rinks, and watch the number of such incidents go way down.

Old
12-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
If the NHL really wanted to eliminate this problem, they'd enact one very simple solution. That is, if they cared as much about the health of their players (not to mention the quality of the game) as they do about making every single penny then possibly can.

Install international-sized rinks, and watch the number of such incidents go way down.
Because of the cost of revisions to the arenas, luxury suites, ect. This would never happen.

But I would like a larger ice surface as well.,

12-11-2011, 05:15 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:

Athletes paid through pain for centuries because they had no choice...it was only in the last 30 years when players in all sports had off-season jobs to supplement the income they made playing sports.

And not every player that is concussed turns out to be debilitated, read p on Harry Carson...

Old
12-11-2011, 05:55 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post

Thank you Sting. I have been saying this and everytime I do I just get ignored. These players are too big, too fast and too good to play on the baby rinks now.

I also think that Doctors know more about these things than they used to, so when a player does get a concussion, they keep them out and rehab them better.
(Except for football. That sport is a bad joke.)

Last edited by MrAlmost: 12-11-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old
12-11-2011, 06:11 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
Because of the cost of revisions to the arenas, luxury suites, ect. This would never happen.

But I would like a larger ice surface as well.,
Theres a point though where the general saftey of your fellow man should outway the costs. However, you are correct, it wont happen, but thats because the Greens speak louder that an unconcious hockey player.

Old
12-11-2011, 06:22 PM
beastly115

This is from the Habs-Devils game yesterday.

Closed Thread