HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

v16 |Raptors lose again! Booo! -OR- Raptors help their draft odds! Yayyy!

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2011, 07:39 PM
samwitch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kadri91 View Post
For quite possibly the best point guard in the NBA, that player haul is terrible. A whole lot of "meh" if you ask me.

Like The Nemesis mentioned though, it's not New Orleans fault as they didn't have much choice, apparently.
Reminds me of the Phaneuf trade haha

Old
12-08-2011, 07:40 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimso View Post
And its funny that those supporting the players concentrating their talents (ie migrating to the areas with the nicest nightlife) say that its only happening because players want to have a management team that surrounds them with good talent and that small markets teams are at fault for having their stars leave, yet Dallas is NOT a small market, are the defending champs, have 1 all-star/finals mvp who took a paycut, and they are most likely losing a big chunk of their talent (Chandler probably to NYK, Butler & Barea looking elsewhere). What chance do most teams in the league even have?

My bad, I shouldn't have quoted you because I agree with your post & my post was mainly directed in general, especially with a lot of people on other sites trying to say its a marc for pau trade v2.0
Great post. I agree 100%.

Old
12-08-2011, 07:43 PM
NiL8r87

Quote:
Scola is not a great PF. He's a very good offensive PF, but he's no better than fringe-average defensively.

Martin is an extremely inefficient, pure scoring shooting guard.

Dargic is a solid backup, yes, but he's not the type of player I'd want back if I were trading Chris Paul.

I'm a fan of Odom, but he's 32 and more of a great 6th man, than a great starter.

At the end of the day, New Orleans traded the best player in the deal, and got a whole lot of "meh" back. The first, like I said, helps.

I don't blame New Orleans for the lack of talent they got back, so I'm not going to condemn their management or anything. I blame this trade on Chris Paul being a *****.

I'm aware of that. That's why I eluded to it in this, and my previous, posts.
If you go by PER, Martin is one of the best in the league. He's top 20, and Odom and Scola are both top 50.

Old
12-08-2011, 07:44 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwitch View Post

In terms of talent, I think New Orleans got a little bit better than what Calgary got, although it's comparable I suppose, the situations, however, are not comparable.

New Orleans had no choice. Paul, unfairly, handicapped them.

In Calgary's case, they were just unlucky they had Sutter as a GM.

Old
12-08-2011, 07:47 PM
samwitch

Quote:

In terms of talent, I think New Orleans got a little bit better than what Calgary got, although it's comparable I suppose, the situations, however, are not comparable.

New Orleans had no choice. Paul, unfairly, handicapped them.

In Calgary's case, they were just unlucky they had Sutter as a GM.
Hahaha I know. The part that reminded me of the Phaneuf trade was:
Quote:
A whole lot of "meh" if you ask me

Old
12-08-2011, 07:50 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseV87 View Post
If you go by PER, Martin is one of the best in the league. He's top 20, and Odom and Scola are both top 50.
Kevin Martin is, quite possibly, the worst defensive shooting-guard in the NBA.

His value is based completely off of his ability to score (inefficiently I might add) as that's the only ability he has.

Like I said, I like Odom and Scola, but they're not great PF's. Good, yes, but not great.

Old
12-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Arash Markazi: Lamar Odom is very emotional, sounds like he's almost in tears during interview on @710ESPN.

Scola along with Dragic are solid pieces. Martin is a volume shooter and that's about it, Odom is old.

Old
12-08-2011, 07:58 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimso View Post
And its funny that those supporting the players concentrating their talents (ie migrating to the areas with the nicest nightlife) say that its only happening because players want to have a management team that surrounds them with good talent and that small markets teams are at fault for having their stars leave, yet Dallas is NOT a small market, are the defending champs, have 1 all-star/finals mvp who took a paycut, and they are most likely losing a big chunk of their talent (Chandler probably to NYK, Butler & Barea looking elsewhere). What chance do most teams in the league even have?
That "reasoning" is a complete load and they all know it. They pick those markets not because they're winners, but because they're big markets with lots of popularity and nightlife. They don't want DAllas because it's boring, not like New York, LA, or Miami. Boston gets to bank on tradition and historical popularity, as does Chicago. but really that's about it in terms of attractive markets. It doesn't matter how big or metropolitan Toronto is, it has the "another country" stigma and zero media presence in the US. No matter how good Dallas or Houston or San Antonio, or Oklahoma or any other of those cities do in the standings or how interesting their city life really is, they don't have the glitz of the top cities in the US or the basketball cache of teams with significant winning pasts.

It's ridiculous, but it seems to be the way that the basketball lifestyle markets itself.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
12-08-2011, 07:59 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Reminds me of Hasek-to-Detroit.

Old
12-08-2011, 08:01 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Hahaha I know. The part that reminded me of the Phaneuf trade was:

Fair enough.

Old
12-08-2011, 08:02 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
A lot of players go to the bigger cities because Nike, Adidas, and other companies like this give more incentives for going to the bigger markets as well.

Old
12-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Swervin81
aka LeafsSharksBoy

Houston got robbed. The Hornets got pretty good out of that deal. If they have David West starting at C, they will be sitting pretty.

Old
12-08-2011, 08:10 PM
NiL8r87

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
NBA owners have pushed commissioner David Stern to kill the deal sending Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers, sources tell Y! Sports.

Owners were irate in Board of Governors meeting with Stern, livid that the league-owned Hornets were allowed to make Paul deal, sources say.

The NBA is now pushing New Orleans GM Dell Demps to pull the plug on the trade and keep Chris Paul, league sources tell Y! Sports.

The NBA has killed the proposed deal to send Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers, league sources tell Yahoo! Sports.

LOL.

Old
12-08-2011, 08:16 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
NBA owners have pushed commissioner David Stern to kill the deal sending Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers, sources tell Y! Sports.

Owners were irate in Board of Governors meeting with Stern, livid that the league-owned Hornets were allowed to make Paul deal, sources say.

The NBA is now pushing New Orleans GM Dell Demps to pull the plug on the trade and keep Chris Paul, league sources tell Y! Sports.

The NBA has killed the proposed deal to send Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers, league sources tell Yahoo! Sports.

LOL.

That's ******* awesome!

Old
12-08-2011, 08:17 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Houston got robbed. The Hornets got pretty good out of that deal. If they have David West starting at C, they will be sitting pretty.
David West opted out of his contract.

He won't be playing for the Hornets.

Old
12-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:

LOL.
That...is...amazing.

Marc Stein: ESPN CP3 trade latest: Trade with Lakers will NOT go through Friday and Chris Paul is expected in Hornets camp, according to sources Twitter

I guess he'll just have to wait until his contract is up.

Old
12-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Reggie Evans tweets "lol" to Chris Paul.

Old
12-08-2011, 08:26 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post

Old
12-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Swervin81
aka LeafsSharksBoy

I heard that Khloe Kardashian has vigorously protested this deal too

Old
12-08-2011, 08:35 PM
TheOtherSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post

hahaha!!!

What a turn of events

Cue a very uninspired terribad season by Chris Paul

Old
12-08-2011, 08:35 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
That...is...amazing.

Marc Stein: ESPN CP3 trade latest: Trade with Lakers will NOT go through Friday and Chris Paul is expected in Hornets camp, according to sources Twitter

Here's what doesn't make sense to me.. They nix the trade so now the Hornets are just going to end up with nothing and are going to much much much more in a hole then with the trade.. Doesn't really make sense.

Old
12-08-2011, 08:39 PM
showtime8

I've been a huge fan of Chris Paul since he came out of Wake Forrest.

I think this is brutal for the Lakers. No one cried when the Miami Heat signed Bosh and Lebron to veto that trade. Owners acting like spoiled little kids when things not going their way.

Old
12-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
I've been a huge fan of Chris Paul since he came out of Wake Forrest.

I think this is brutal for the Lakers. No one cried when the Miami Heat signed Bosh and Lebron to veto that trade. Owners acting like spoiled little kids when things not going their way.
Well technically, Bosh and James were UFA's at the time. Paul is still under contract with New Orleans. However, I do agree that Paul is eventually going to leave, he doesn't want to stay there, so why not just allow them to try getting the best possible assets in return?

Old
12-08-2011, 09:01 PM
SpeakerForTheDead

vCash: 2000
Owners complained cause the Hornets are owned by the league and they don't think the league should be involved in trading a superstar of Paul's calibre, I guess...

Old
12-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Shimso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
That...is...amazing.

should be fun to see all the questions that'll surround him

can't be fun for the hornets fanbase. what's the over/under on their attendance? a dozen?

Closed Thread