Notices

Dec 13 @ Winnipeg

Old
12-07-2011, 03:43 PM
SwimToTheMoon
Wild fan in WPG

vCash: 500
Dec 13 @ Winnipeg

Just curious, but is anyone making the trip up here next week for the game in Winnipeg? I want to know if I'm going to be the only person in the building wearing a Wild jersey

SwimToTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimToTheMoon View Post
Just curious, but is anyone making the trip up here next week for the game in Winnipeg? I want to know if I'm going to be the only person in the building wearing a Wild jersey
But me a ticket and I'll make the drive

Wild48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Avder
Is only game.

vCash: 50
I'd need a ticket and a passport.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Nope, gotta study for finals (which I should be doing as I type this as well). Even if I didn't I wouldn't drive that far. Only Xcel for me unless I'm on a vacation. Xcel is only a 10 minute drive for me.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 04:45 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Jets tickets on resale are way too much for my blood. Have fun though!

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 06:55 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

Wish I could be there, guess with the new divisions, I might be able to see the Wild in person sometime as I still live in Canada. About a 6 hour drive from the Peg, but be prepared to be tarred and feathered depending on how the fans go.

ShutDownDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 07:19 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

with the realignment i really hope the Wild put together special ticket packages that include one or more games in away arenas. I think it would be fun (and nice for the team) to have a couple busloads of Wild fans taking up a section in WPG. Safety in numbers!

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:41 PM
SwimToTheMoon
Wild fan in WPG

Sucks there's no trips up here right now. Be prepared when the Jets are in St Paul there's LOTS of folks here making the trip down.

Old
12-10-2011, 04:03 AM
Pepsi12pac

I'd be there if I had a passport.

Pepsi12pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 04:21 AM
sushinsky4tsar

I think the Flames explored the possibility of playing their Heritage Classic on Lake Louise before settling on their football stadium. If these games ever do become made for tv settings, I would like to nominate Jets-Wild on Lake of the Woods. Draw the center line right down the national border.

Last edited by sushinsky4tsar: 12-10-2011 at 04:20 PM.
sushinsky4tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Northland Wild Man
Run The Goalie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushinsky4tsar View Post
I think the Flames explored the possibility of playing their Heritage Classic on Lake Louise before settling on their football stadium. If these games ever do become made for tv settings, I would like to nominate Jets-Wild on Lake of the Woods. Draw the center line right down the border.
That would be an epic game, but I don't think the FSN announce team would like that very much. Didn't Gorg or someone roll their SUV on the way back to the TC?

I think it also might be dangerous to have so many people in one spot on the lake at the same time. Cars, stands, and people all add up in the weight department even if there is 24 inches of ice.

Northland Wild Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:50 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
That would be an epic game, but I don't think the FSN announce team would like that very much. Didn't Gorg or someone roll their SUV on the way back to the TC?

I think it also might be dangerous to have so many people in one spot on the lake at the same time. Cars, stands, and people all add up in the weight department even if there is 24 inches of ice.
The bigger problem is transportation. Winnipeg is a good 2 hour drive to Kenora and Delta's closing the International Falls and possibly Bemidji line of flights, so the nearest US airport would possibly be Grand Forks. I think Air Canada and one of the minor airlines around Thunder Bay might fly to Kenora though. But where are you going to put the people? Baudette and Warroad might each be able to absorb an extra 1k-2k. I doubt Kenora has significantly greater capacity.

The weight shouldn't be an issue though. Lake of the Woods has so many islands that the game could be played on the lake, but the fans kept on the shore if weight were a concern. We already have around 8 inches of ice so far this year I believe.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
The bigger problem is transportation. Winnipeg is a good 2 hour drive to Kenora and Delta's closing the International Falls and possibly Bemidji line of flights, so the nearest US airport would possibly be Grand Forks. I think Air Canada and one of the minor airlines around Thunder Bay might fly to Kenora though. But where are you going to put the people? Baudette and Warroad might each be able to absorb an extra 1k-2k. I doubt Kenora has significantly greater capacity.

The weight shouldn't be an issue though. Lake of the Woods has so many islands that the game could be played on the lake, but the fans kept on the shore if weight were a concern. We already have around 8 inches of ice so far this year I believe.
Do you live around LOTWs?

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
If these games ever do become made for tv settings, I would like to nominate Jets-Wild on Lake of the Woods. Draw the center line right down the border.
Right around Buffalo Bay and Warroad (Manitoba/Minnesota border on LOTWs) would be beyond epic. I'd pay big $$$ to see that!

Old
12-10-2011, 12:42 PM
Northland Wild Man
Run The Goalie!

Quote:

I agree the lodging would be an issue, but there are a lot of resorts on both sides. It still probably would not be enough to fit all the people in them though. If the stands were on the shore that would work I guess. If I remember Kenora has like 15,000 people but I don't know what kind of lodging they have there.

Northland Wild Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 01:15 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
I agree the lodging would be an issue, but there are a lot of resorts on both sides. It still probably would not be enough to fit all the people in them though. If the stands were on the shore that would work I guess. If I remember Kenora has like 15,000 people but I don't know what kind of lodging they have there.
I can't speak for Kenora, but remember, Lake of the Woods County only has 5k people. Baudette's the largest "city" in the county at 1100 people. Warroad's a little bigger, but not by too terribly much. There are a lot of resorts around, but even packing people like sardines will fill those quickly. Also, any game would be around prime ice fishing time so the resorts wouldn't exactly be empty.

I'm sure it could be done, but there's a lot of things working against it. All told, it would likely be a better idea to move it to Lake Superior around Thunder Bay. I think anything like that needs to be done near a city of 50k+ people.

Old
12-10-2011, 01:43 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
I can't speak for Kenora, but remember, Lake of the Woods County only has 5k people. Baudette's the largest "city" in the county at 1100 people. Warroad's a little bigger, but not by too terribly much. There are a lot of resorts around, but even packing people like sardines will fill those quickly. Also, any game would be around prime ice fishing time so the resorts wouldn't exactly be empty.

I'm sure it could be done, but there's a lot of things working against it. All told, it would likely be a better idea to move it to Lake Superior around Thunder Bay. I think anything like that needs to be done near a city of 50k+ people.
Lake Superior usually doesn't freeze over.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 01:55 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Lake Superior usually doesn't freeze over.
The center of the lake does not, but you get 10-20" of ice along the shoreline and within any harbors. The location for this would be the mouth of the Pigeon River, which certainly freezes over, and probably already has sufficient ice for at least snowmobiles, if not trucks at this point.

Old
12-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Kenora is about 15-20K, but it's kinda too far north on Lake of the Woods for this game to be played, should it ever occur. It should be played around the Manitoba/Minnesota border areas (Warroad, MN/Sprague,MB) as it would have more meaning there.

Old
12-10-2011, 03:45 PM
SwimToTheMoon
Wild fan in WPG

That would be insane to have a game on a lake! Wonder if it could work?

Old
12-10-2011, 05:09 PM
davemac1313

vCash: 143
Quote:
I think the Flames explored the possibility of playing their Heritage Classic on Lake Louise before settling on their football stadium. If these games ever do become made for tv settings, I would like to nominate Jets-Wild on Lake of the Woods. Draw the center line right down the national border.
Ya baby...my backyard.....I can attach a bissell carpet steamer and a proctor silex steam iron to my lawn tractor and be the Zamboni guy for the game,,,nothin says Hertitage Classic like a bunch of Rednecks wearing Kenora Dinner Jackets

davemac1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 05:15 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

FSN did Hockey Day Minnesota at LOTW by Baudette a few years ago and it was something like -20.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 05:18 PM
davemac1313

Quote:

Kenora Airport...and by February the ice is 3+ feet....land the plane on the lake...the guys are driving trucks and placing shacks today on the lake...the city grows by 20K in the summer....so there are places to stay.....however, running water would be a luxury charge...so the outhouse it is. There are over 100 fishing/hunting lodges within 30 minutes of Kenora + 6+hotels/motels...plenty O room...bring it on

Old
12-10-2011, 05:21 PM
davemac1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
FSN did Hockey Day Minnesota at LOTW by Baudette a few years ago and it was something like -20.
hopefully it wouldn't be so warm......typical temp january 31 is -25C about -33F...perfect hockey weather

Old
12-10-2011, 05:50 PM
sushinsky4tsar

I think it can be done, the big question is profitability and scale/logistics. With these kind of population centers, I don't know that they would be able to handle a 30,000 seat temporary structure. However, if you can find 8-10K people willing to shell out big bucks to freeze their arse, you might have something.

The game would have to draw enough tv viewership to defray the huge gate loss and construction costs. Jets-Wild aren't exactly marquis national teams, that's why I think you would have to ratchet it up as US vs. Canada. A 2014 Winter Olympic year would be ideal.

The Jets are probably the better host for a Lake of the Woods game due to proximity. Kenora is probably the best "staging" town. However, if a true border rink is essential, a 50 mile snowmobile convoy / ice road to Buffalo Bay might be a tall task. That leaves the much smaller Warroad. I think that's still a good 5 mile trek to the border.

I'm not sure that Baudette would be able to handle it, but I believe that's where the 2008 Hockey Day Minnesota game was played. You would avoid a big off shore trek to the border this way. Ideally, it should be the Manitoba border though.

I think you would need a pretty good shuttle plan for Winnipeg/Kenora/Grand Forks to the Lake.

Make it a weekend festivity:
**friendly between the Canada and US junior teams.
**US-Canada broomball and curling match
**Ice-fishing contest is a must
**get a couple of former Vikings and Blue Bombers to play in a snow football match.

Last edited by sushinsky4tsar: 12-10-2011 at 06:35 PM.
sushinsky4tsar is offline   Reply With Quote