HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

If you were GOD which team would u eliminate?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-24-2004, 01:04 AM
  #176
Kravitch
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Home of the 2004 Memorial Cup Champions!
Country: Canada
Posts: 702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
haha, good luck trying to pay players in monopoly--er, canadian money.
77 cents US is hardly Monopoly money my friend.

Kravitch is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 01:07 AM
  #177
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kravitch
77 cents US is hardly Monopoly money my friend.

Try telling that to NHL players.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 01:45 AM
  #178
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!
 
LadyJet26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,969
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
Try telling that to NHL players.
it's still a helluva lot better then it was a year ago, and it's continuing to rise. Oh to go back to the days where the Canadian dollar was higher than the American dollar

LadyJet26 is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 07:40 AM
  #179
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseHunter
No American teams are good, just don't get why people keep saying that the NHL wouldn't work in Winnipeg.
Too bad no one with enough money to buy a team agrees with you. If "insert your favorite Canadian city that used to have a team here" was such a great market, why did their team leave in the first place? Could it be that the owner (you know, the person or group that oooownnnnns the team) decided that the franchise would work better somewhere else?

__________________
I donít know whatís worse; that I dreamed about putting my ex-girlfriend in a woodchipper, or that I woke up with an erection. - Jim Norton
The Kitner Boy is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 07:58 AM
  #180
kmad
Riot Survivor
 
kmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,980
vCash: 500
because the NHL's economic climate combined with the faltering Canadian dollar of the time was too much strain on the owners' pockets.

kmad is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 09:41 AM
  #181
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!
 
LadyJet26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,969
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. X
Too bad no one with enough money to buy a team agrees with you. If "insert your favorite Canadian city that used to have a team here" was such a great market, why did their team leave in the first place? Could it be that the owner (you know, the person or group that oooownnnnns the team) decided that the franchise would work better somewhere else?
How many times do I have to say this? The owner was a jackass! He said to the citizens of Winnipeg, "Raise x amount of money and your Jets will stay." Citizens did, guess what? They still moved. The Jets owner screwed himself, so did the management by signing Mr. Loser Tkachuk to a multi million dollar contract It's not exactly working that much better in Phoenix now is it? Two reasons why they left: Owner was a jackass, promising things he couldn't keep, and 2. The city was too anal about the prospect of a new arena, Eatons was still around 10 years ago, so there was no decent location to build a new arena.

The NHL will work again in Winnipeg, with the ever improving Canadian dollar and the promise of a CBA where it will work for the Winnipegs, the Calgarys, the Edmontons, the Buffalos, etc. It will happen and especially because this city has lived too long without NHL hockey.


Last edited by LadyJet26: 09-24-2004 at 09:44 AM.
LadyJet26 is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 10:06 AM
  #182
Hemskyfanboy83
Registered User
 
Hemskyfanboy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
Huh? So money doesn't matter, what the streets looks like in some news clip matters? OK

Do I need to find pictures for you of the 10,000+ people sitting outside the St. Pete Times Forum watching the game on the side of a fricken' parking garage in 90F temperatures because they couldn't get tickets, or is your memory not quite that short? You do know that Tampa set attendance records for the Finals, right? But forget all that money coming in, the streets weren't full of Lightning jerseys when they shot this footage for a news show! Contract them!

What is this "deserves" business all about anyway, I've never gotten a good answer on that one.
i said revenues don't matter cuz after the cba all those types of things will change. U have to admit that there was way more excitment in calgary then there was in tampa. Scott Talyor when he was on the score said that tickets for the confrence finals were selling for 26 bucks ya that should make it hard to sell out games. and there was a poll of like somewhere from 100-500 ppl don't know exactly 88 percent of the ppl didn't know what icing was

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 10:11 AM
  #183
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova
and there was a poll of like somewhere from 100-500 ppl don't know exactly 88 percent of the ppl didn't know what icing was
another bad myth.....

triggrman is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 10:15 AM
  #184
Hemskyfanboy83
Registered User
 
Hemskyfanboy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
Maybe he thinks there's too many teams because the Oilers can't mediocre their way into the playoffs, anymore? :lol

i think u are a fan of new jersey so having one of the (boringest i think that is a word) arenas probally does anger u. Wait what am i saying all the american cities are hockey crazy we should contract the canadian cities that actually care about hockey my fault. Let's contract cities like montreal ottawa calgary edmonton vancouver and tonronto in place of tampa flordia anaheim phoneix washington. ( I am sure a few of these cities deserve hockey teams i just used them as examples)

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 10:24 AM
  #185
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova
i think u are a fan of new jersey so having one of the (boringest i think that is a word) arenas probally does anger u. Wait what am i saying all the american cities are hockey crazy we should contract the canadian cities that actually care about hockey my fault. Let's contract cities like montreal ottawa calgary edmonton vancouver and tonronto in place of tampa flordia anaheim phoneix washington. ( I am sure a few of these cities deserve hockey teams i just used them as examples)

wrong again, but thanks for playing.

and some of your examples are flawed...regarding teams that "care about hockey, " because...as I've mentioned a few times in this thread, Vancouver didn't always "care" so much. Just look at their attendance a few years ago, when they were at the bottom of the league. Calgary had it rough, as well.

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 10:25 AM
  #186
Go Flames Go*
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 943
vCash: 500
Edmonton
Nashville
Anahiem
Carolina

Go Flames Go* is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 10:31 AM
  #187
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Flames Go
Edmonton
Calgary
Anahiem
Carolina
agree, 100 %

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 10:33 AM
  #188
Hemskyfanboy83
Registered User
 
Hemskyfanboy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
wrong again, but thanks for playing.

and some of your examples are flawed...regarding teams that "care about hockey, " because...as I've mentioned a few times in this thread, Vancouver didn't always "care" so much. Just look at their attendance a few years ago, when they were at the bottom of the league. Calgary had it rough, as well.
k that is true i will give u that vancouver just sort of jumped on the bandwagon but i am pretty sure calgary and edmonton haven't. Edmonton hasn't put a great team since like 1990 and still get fans same for calgary

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 11:11 AM
  #189
tulsytrid1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Murfreesbo Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
http://www.hockeyresearch.com/mfoste.../nhl_attn.html

I don't think any team should be contracted or moved; winning brings fans into the building. Look at the attendance figures for the Jets. It is only slightly better than it was in Carolina for the Canes first few season when the team was 100 miles away in Greensboro. Note Edmonton's attendance from 92-96, Vancouver's from 83-89, New York Isles from 1989- present, Calgary's first few years in the league, Hockey town Detroit from 77-83, Ottawa 92-96.
My point is that there will be some tough times out there for teams attendance wise. Winning usually is the cure for those problems it has little to do with the fact that they are in the south or a nontraditional hockey market. I do feel sorry for the fans that lost teams in Quebec, Winnipeg, and Hartford, but to me the current NHL should not contract nor relocate IMHO.

tulsytrid1 is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 11:14 AM
  #190
Kravitch
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Home of the 2004 Memorial Cup Champions!
Country: Canada
Posts: 702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsytrid1
http://www.hockeyresearch.com/mfoste.../nhl_attn.html

I don't think any team should be contracted or moved; winning brings fans into the building. Look at the attendance figures for the Jets. It is only slightly better than it was in Carolina for the Canes first few season when the team was 100 miles away in Greensboro. Note Edmonton's attendance from 92-96, Vancouver's from 83-89, New York Isles from 1989- present, Calgary's first few years in the league, Hockey town Detroit from 77-83, Ottawa 92-96.
My point is that there will be some tough times out there for teams attendance wise. Winning usually is the cure for those problems it has little to do with the fact that they are in the south or a nontraditional hockey market. I do feel sorry for the fans that lost teams in Quebec, Winnipeg, and Hartford, but to me the current NHL should not contract nor relocate IMHO.
Don't forget Vancouver's attendance from 1996-2000. Ugh, lousy tim to be a Canucks fan.

Kravitch is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 11:40 AM
  #191
Kravitch
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Home of the 2004 Memorial Cup Champions!
Country: Canada
Posts: 702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseHunter
it's still a helluva lot better then it was a year ago, and it's continuing to rise. Oh to go back to the days where the Canadian dollar was higher than the American dollar
We need another P.E.T for that.

Kravitch is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 11:44 AM
  #192
jacketracket*
 
jacketracket*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: ... double cream."
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
agree, 100 %

jacketracket* is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 12:04 PM
  #193
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!
 
LadyJet26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,969
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova
k that is true i will give u that vancouver just sort of jumped on the bandwagon but i am pretty sure calgary and edmonton haven't. Edmonton hasn't put a great team since like 1990 and still get fans same for calgary
oh boy... are you a chick? Because if you are, you give a bad name for the women of this world who do know about hockey. Fans in Vancouver did not jump on the bandwagon Vancouver certainly got a lot of new fans, but there are those fans that lived through those disgusting years where Keenan destroyed that team. I remember before Calgary made the playoffs that there were more Canucks fans in the Saddledome during a Flames Canucks game then there were Flames fans. Please stop talking out of your ass, it's not pretty.

LadyJet26 is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 12:06 PM
  #194
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseHunter
oh boy... are you a chick? Because if you are, you give a bad name for the women of this world who do know about hockey. Fans in Vancouver did not jump on the bandwagon Vancouver certainly got a lot of new fans, but there are those fans that lived through those disgusting years where Keenan destroyed that team. I remember before Calgary made the playoffs that there were more Canucks fans in the Saddledome during a Flames Canucks game then there were Flames fans. Please stop talking out of your ass, it's not pretty.

oh, come on. even the most die-hard canucks fans admit that there was a HUGE bandwagon jump a couple of years ago. if you don't believe me, just go read the canucks.com messageboard. besides, if what you say is true...and there was no bandwagon...where were all those great fans in the lean years?

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 12:12 PM
  #195
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!
 
LadyJet26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,969
vCash: 50
Excuse me, but read the canucks.com message board. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Any decent Canucks fan knows not to read that garbage.

I did say there were new fans to the game, and how about the fans that were there during the rough years? Hiding in shame. Wouldn't you do the same?

LadyJet26 is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 12:24 PM
  #196
Sotnos
Registered User
 
Sotnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Not here
Posts: 10,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova
i said revenues don't matter cuz after the cba all those types of things will change.
Well then, all the better for ALL small market teams, right?

Quote:
U have to admit that there was way more excitment in calgary then there was in tampa.
Not that this is relevant, but it depends on how you look at it. You might have more people jumping on the bandwagon, doesn't mean they were "more excited". Like I have said already, you obviously were watching some VERY biased news reports that went out of their way to make us look disinterested and stupid.

Quote:
Scott Talyor when he was on the score said that tickets for the confrence finals were selling for 26 bucks ya that should make it hard to sell out games.
Wow, another falsehood in the Canadian media regarding Tampa? That's really hard to believe...not! Trust me, tickets were in no way shape or form that cheap, or I wouldn't have had to stop going after the semi-finals because the tickets were too expensive.

Quote:
and there was a poll of like somewhere from 100-500 ppl don't know exactly 88 percent of the ppl didn't know what icing was
Again, what does that have to do with ANYTHING???? Just because some reporter went out of his way to make Floridians look stupid, this is supposed to influence whether a team is financially viable? You must be one of those folks who believe everything you read in the paper and see on TV.

You are really reaching here, I don't think you're convincing anyone.

Sotnos is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 12:27 PM
  #197
Hemskyfanboy83
Registered User
 
Hemskyfanboy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseHunter
Excuse me, but read the canucks.com message board. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Any decent Canucks fan knows not to read that garbage.

I did say there were new fans to the game, and how about the fans that were there during the rough years? Hiding in shame. Wouldn't you do the same?

i wouldn't i was born later and did not get to see the oilers ever make the playoffs til 97. i went through the tuff yrs in 95-97. My school is a perfect example of band wagoners i live in vancouver island where nobody cares about the canucks but when they made the playoff ppl started watching. There were about 10 kids out of 1500 that liked the canucks through the bad yrs

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 12:55 PM
  #198
Hemskyfanboy83
Registered User
 
Hemskyfanboy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
Well then, all the better for ALL small market teams, right?


Not that this is relevant, but it depends on how you look at it. You might have more people jumping on the bandwagon, doesn't mean they were "more excited". Like I have said already, you obviously were watching some VERY biased news reports that went out of their way to make us look disinterested and stupid.


Wow, another falsehood in the Canadian media regarding Tampa? That's really hard to believe...not! Trust me, tickets were in no way shape or form that cheap, or I wouldn't have had to stop going after the semi-finals because the tickets were too expensive.


Again, what does that have to do with ANYTHING???? Just because some reporter went out of his way to make Floridians look stupid, this is supposed to influence whether a team is financially viable? You must be one of those folks who believe everything you read in the paper and see on TV.

You are really reaching here, I don't think you're convincing anyone.

i am not trying to convince anyone to contract tampa i am just saying hockey is not anywhere near as big down there as it is up here

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 01:21 PM
  #199
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!
 
LadyJet26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,969
vCash: 50
oilerlova you sure are trying to seem like you're making a defence about it.

Tampa has die hard fans just like any Canadian team or any american. Wake up and smell the sunshine.

I never said the Canucks didn't have bandwagonners Every team has them. The Canucks fans I know personally though aren't.

I personally lived through hell when Keenan was GM and coach. from 1996-2000. I have been a fan of the Canucks since I was 5 years old and there have always been fans. Regardless of how crappy they've been, however there are those kind of people that won't go to games when they're crappy because it's a waste of money.

LadyJet26 is offline  
Old
09-24-2004, 01:34 PM
  #200
Hemskyfanboy83
Registered User
 
Hemskyfanboy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseHunter
oilerlova you sure are trying to seem like you're making a defence about it.

Tampa has die hard fans just like any Canadian team or any american. Wake up and smell the sunshine.

I never said the Canucks didn't have bandwagonners Every team has them. The Canucks fans I know personally though aren't.

I personally lived through hell when Keenan was GM and coach. from 1996-2000. I have been a fan of the Canucks since I was 5 years old and there have always been fans. Regardless of how crappy they've been, however there are those kind of people that won't go to games when they're crappy because it's a waste of money.

obviously there are some real canuck fans i was just saying that most ppl here in B.C could care less about them when they are doing bad that's all

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.