Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Western Europe
Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

[AUT/SUI] the official NLA/NLB/austrian bundesliga thread

Old
11-15-2004, 04:34 PM
Hellström

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Hellström
2nd that - excellent reports, always a pleasure to read !

Hellström is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2004, 03:52 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

Thanks for the feedbacks. I don't have many time lately (I was unemployed when I started writing), but I'll do my best during the whole season.

Could a native speaker give me a feedback about the quality of me english ? Sometimes I'm not sure about the correct way to express what I mean. (I know that sometimes I forget a word, but I often do it in my first language, too)

Last edited by stv11: 11-16-2004 at 04:00 PM.
stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2004, 04:52 PM
Strizzi

Just wanted to say that I enjoy these write-ups too! I don't get to watch as much hockey as you do, so it's informative for me as well. And frankly, your English is quite good. Your spelling is even better than those of many native speakers.

Strizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2004, 07:58 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Thanks for the updates, stv, and your English is pretty good! Have you seen Nash play often? I agree with you on both your points, about his skating and moves. He's isn't the greatest skater, but once he gets up to speed he's pretty quick. He always seems to have one or two moves that he tries on a goaltender. I don't know if it's because he's young or if he doesn't have the confidence in his skills to learn more moves, but it was frustrating watching him last season here in the NHL when he'd be on a breakaway and you knew exactly what move was coming. He's better at knocking in rebounds and deflecting pucks in.

Thanks for the updates, again.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2004, 07:28 AM
thrashers28

stv11 -- thanks again for another thorough and well-written update. Don't worry about your English -- your written English is far superior to many native speakers/writers of English.

Please know I appreciate being able to read updates from the Swiss League in English. I have learned some German since this lockout started in trying to read fan forums and news updates on the team web pages but it seems a lot of German words/phrases do not translate directly into English!

thrashers28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2004, 08:37 AM
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashers28
Please know I appreciate being able to read updates from the Swiss League in English. I have learned some German since this lockout started in trying to read fan forums and news updates on the team web pages but it seems a lot of German words/phrases do not translate directly into English!
Feel free to ask around the board here if you want something to be translated.

Again, great work stv11!

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2004, 12:37 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

Thanks everyone, I didn't knew there was such a big interest for the NLA. I'm just a little disappointed about the lack of comment from swiss posters.

Old
11-22-2004, 06:01 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11
Thanks everyone, I didn't knew there was such a big interest for the NLA. I'm just a little disappointed about the lack of comment from swiss posters.
are there any websites to follow the scoring leaders, standings, etc? or are you our link to the league?

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2004, 12:59 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

www.hockeyfans.ch show the standings on its main page, and by clicking on "mehr tabellen" under the standings, you can see how each team is doing at home, on the road, in its last 5 games and in its last 15 games.

www.hockeystats.ch provides player stats. To see the scoring leaders, click on the Spieler -> Spielerstats NLA/B menu.

Old
11-23-2004, 01:43 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
www.hockeyfans.ch show the standings on its main page, and by clicking on "mehr tabellen" under the standings, you can see how each team is doing at home, on the road, in its last 5 games and in its last 15 games.

www.hockeystats.ch provides player stats. To see the scoring leaders, click on the Spieler -> Spielerstats NLA/B menu.
much appreciated!!

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2004, 03:50 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

When does Davos play again?

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2004, 10:42 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

It's been a long time, but here's a little NLA update during the break in the schedule. Here’s the standing (30 games, except Davos and Rapperswil with 31) :

1.Lugano 45
2.Davos 41
3.ZSC 36
4.Rapperswil 35
5.Zug 33
6.Ambrì 31
7.Geneva 30
8.Bern 28
9.Kloten 24
10.Langnau 21
11.Fribourg 20
12.Lausanne 18

Lugano : 20-5-5 record, 104-72 goals (7-1-2 since last update)

Lugano alternated some convincing (3-1 win at ZSC, 5-3 home win against Davos) and unconvincing (4-0 loss in Bern, close 3-2 win in Lausanne, 7-5 win against Ambrì in a terrible defensive performance, 2-2 home draw against Lausanne which ended their record home winning streak at 13) results.
They are unlucky regarding injuries as Flavien Conne is out again after playing in only 8 games. Andreas Hänni, Keith Fair and Captain Regis Fuchs missed significant playing times, and Benoit Gratton won’t play until next year after he was hit in the face by a shot. Although youngsters Roman Botta and Mattia Bianchi are doing well in filling the gaps, Lugano’s best players spend a lot of time on the ice. Petteri Nummelin (13G 29A) took over the scoring lead from Ville Peltonen (14G 22A) and still is one of the hottest player in the league. Adrian Wichser (only 7G 10A, which doesn’t reflect his skill level) and Sandy Jeannin (9G 18A) got a call in the national team, as well as defenseman Julien Vauclair who finally play up to his reputation. Ryan Gardner is the best swiss goal scorer in the league (15G 14A). Mike Maneluk is now back from injury and after being scoreless in his first four games got 5 goals and 3 assists in his last six. New York Islanders’ Jason Blake was hired until the end of the year and has 2 goals and 2 assists in 5 games so far.
There was an evolution in Lugano’s goaltending situation. David Aebischer shared the last ten starts with Ronnie Rüeger. Rüeger was a little unconsistant lately, being stellar against ZSC and Lausanne, but allowing some soft goals against Zug and Ambrì, when he was pulled early in the second period, while Aebischer played well without being great. Still, Rüeger got his chance in the national team as Aebischer and Gerber won’t play in the next tournament.

Davos : 19-3-9, 119-77 (8-0-3)

Davos lost two difficult away games against ZSC (3-1) and Lugano (5-3), and were surprisingly beaten at home by Geneava (3-1), but were impressive in every other games, especially against Bern (6-0) and Langnau (10-3).
As expected, their offense is the best in the league with 119 goals, but they only recently found some stability in their lineup. Joe Thornton and Rick Nash were finally splited. Nash (20G 16A) play on the first line with Reto Von Arx (9G 22A) and Michel Riesen (15G 12 A), and Von Arx’s playmaking seems to fit him better than Thornton’s, as he got 8 goals and 3 assists in his last 8 games, and 6 goals in his last 3 games, including his first multi-goal game of the season in a hat trick against Kloten. Von Arx and Riesen are also on fire, scoring more regulary than early in the season. Joe Thornton is now a left winger on the second line, with Jozef Marha playing center and Nicklas Hagman playing on the right, and he’s one of the hottest player in the league right now, with 3 goals and 10 assists in its last 6 games and is now third in the league in scoring. His season totals are 9 goals and 35 assists, most in the league. Marha has 13 goals and 17 assists, while Hagman has 11 goals and 17 assists. Davos’ next best scorer is still 19 years old Caps prospect Peter Guggisberg with 12 goals and 5 assists in 28 games, using his speed perfectly and still looking like a veteran goal scorer when he faces the goalie, but he’s currently healing a minor injury. Despite all of this impressive performances, only one player from Davos will take part in the next national team games, namely Andres Ambühl, who has 5 goals and 10 assists. Guggisberg will play in the u20 worlds before getting a chance in the A team, and Von Arx and Riesen don’t want to play for coach Ralph Krüger anymore.
Davos’ defense is playing better lately, despite Beat Forster being out with an injury, but their defensive top scorer is limited to 6 points. Goalie Jonas Hiller is playing well, but is not good enough yet to steal games against top opponents.

ZSC : 17-2-11, 99-73 (6-1-4)

ZSC is loosing ground on Lugano and Davos. They lost three home games against Zug, Lugano and Kloten, and were beaten in Geneva and had to settle for a draw in Fribourg.
Randy Robitaille is still leading the league in points per game with 13 goals and 27 assists in only 22 games, good enough to lead ZSC and rank 5th in the league. His linemate Robert Petrovicky is second with 12 goals and 23 assists, while Jan Alston wasn’t slowed down after missing seven games, as he now has 9 goals and 18 assists in 23 games. Some key forwards, namely Robitaille and Petrovicky’s linemate Sven Helfenstein, and national team players Andreas Camezind and Thierry Paterlini are injured.
The defense also miss many players, with team Ramholt joining long time injured Martin Höhener and Edgar Salis, but Mattias Seger is back in the lineup and scored his first two goals of the season in ZSC’s last game against Fribourg and will be back in the national team. Mark Streit is still providing some impressives offensive performances as he’s the team’s 4th best scorer with 11 goals and 12 assists in 30 games.

Rapperswil : 16-3-12, 103-85 (5-3-3)

Rapperswil’s good time seemed to be over after their 9 games home winning streak ended and was followed by a draw against Ambrì and a loss against Bern, but they are now on a 4-1-0 streak which make them close the gap on ZSC, a team they will host in their last game of the year.
Despite going ten games without a goal, Stacey Roest is still leading the lead in scoring with 46 points (15G 31A). Dale McTavish is on a hot streak with 7 goals in his last 7 games, including the fastest hat trick in league history against Langnau (he scored at 33’25, 33’36 and 36’46), and now has 17 goals and 20 assists. Mikko Eloranta also has 37 points (15G 22A). Thomas Walser (14G 11A) can’t keep is early pace, but still put some points on the board, while hard working Marc Weber (5G 18A in 26 games) has a good chemistry with McTavish. Their linemate is now 22 year old Denny Bärtschi, who scored 5 goals and 3 assists in his last 11 games after being scoreless in his first 20.
Defenseman Cyril Geyer, despite having only 3 assists in 18 games after starting the season with 10 points in 13 games, got a call in the national team. The top scorer among defensemen is Marko Tuulola with 5 goals and 11 assists in 22 games.
One of the main reason for Rapperswil surprising season is the play of goalie Marco Streit, a journeyman during most of his career, but very impressive this season. 19 year old Michael Tobler still get some starts, but Streit clearly remains number one.

Last edited by stv11: 12-12-2004 at 10:51 AM.
Old
12-12-2004, 01:20 PM
thrashers28

Thanks stv11, excellent update as usual.

I bet Joe Thornton threw a major temper tantrum in being demoted from Line 1 Center to playing LW on Line 2. :lol

I was shocked to hear one of my favorite Thrashers, Marc Savard, was cut by SC Bern due to "poor conditioning and below average skating skills" -- this a guy who scored 52 points in 44 NHL games last year. Was this (poor conditioning/poor skating) really the case or did Marc perhaps have an attitude problem adjusting to life in the Swiss League?

thrashers28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2004, 03:27 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

I'm a little busy this week, so I add just two teams today. I'll add two other tuesday and the last four friday.

To Trashers28 : I'll answer your question about Savard when I write about Bern.

Zug : 14-5-11, 94-93 (6-2-2)

After a disappoiting season start, Zug is now hot. They lost two home games against ZSC (3-6) and Davos (4-5), but were impressive against Lugano (6-3) and against ZSC in Zürich (1-2).
Niko Kapanen, maybe the most convincing NHLer in Switzerland so far, has 8 goals and 28 assists and shares the team lead with Oleg Petrov (21 goals, most in the league, and 15 assists). Patrick Fischer is third with 9 goals and 15 assists after a poor season start, which got him a deserved national team call, along with Patrick Della Rossa, who could add 6 goals and 9 assists to his good physical and defensive play, and checking center Patrick Oppliger (2 goals and 2 assists in 12 games). Zug also hired Mike Fisher until the end of the lockout, and he got 4 goals and 10 assists in 10 games so far.
Fisher’s hiring means that one of Zug’s american defensemen must be scratched, and as both Brett Hauer and Barry Richter are now playing well, they shared the games. Hauer has 3 goals and 14 assists in 24 games, while Richter has 4 goals and 12 assists in 26 games. They also hired René Back, who didn’t have a good ice time with ZSC’s deep defense, but is now a top pair player for Zug. He has 1 goal and 3 assists in 9 games (1 assits in 9 games for ZSC) and already leads the team in +/- with a +9 rating. Veteran Livio Fazio and Gaetan Voisard are both playing well, and Raphael Diaz, despite having only one assist in 30 games, is expected to be a key player during the upcoming u20 world championnships.
Zug’s goalie situation could have been dramatic as Lars Weibel was injured just when he reached his best form, but 17 year old Raphaël Walter played brillantly in a 2-1 overtime win over Fribourg, was solid in a 4-4 draw in Lausanne and couldn’t do anything against ZSC (6-3 loss, including an empty net goal). To avoid putting to much pressure on him, Zug hired Michael Tobler on loan from Rapperswil, and he got a shutout against Langnau, followed by a 6-3 win against Lugano.

Ambrì : 13-5-12, 92-88 (1-3-6)

Ambrì is slowly falling down the standing after its good start. They could only beat Langnau at home (3-1), earned some draw and lost against every tough opponents (7-5 in Lugano, 5-1 at ZSC, 5-2 in Davos, 3-0 in Zug) and even at home to Lausanne (5-4).
Ambrì’s main problem is still their lack of scoring depth, as their canadians forwards are now slowing down. Altough Hnat Domenicheli (16G 29A) and Jean-Guy Trudel (18G 25A) are still among the league’s best scorers, they got only 4 goals between them in their last 8 games. Jeff Toms has 13 goals and 19 assists in 24 games, with 3 goals and 6 assists coming in the last 10 games. After them, the best scorers, Corsin Camichel and Michael Liniger, barely touch the half a point per game mark (8G 9A in 30 games and 6 goals and 10 assits in 26 games respectively). The only defenseman providing some offense is Kim Johnsson with 14 points in 24 games, but he will now leave the team. He will be replaced by Oskar Åckeström, who played some games in the LNB after being injured since the start of the season.
Ambrì’s goalie situation is not as bright as it looked when the season started. 20 year old Daniel Manzato holds on the starting despite being average after a brillant season start, because Simon Züger was awful in the three starts he got.

Old
12-14-2004, 04:47 AM
zecke26

i promised that i will make it sticky if this thread would be alive. and thanks to stv11 it is alive, so it's now sticky.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2004, 04:01 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

Geneva : 13-4-13, 85-92 (4-3-3)

Geneva is unregular, winning games against tough opponents (3-1 in Davos, 2-1 against ZSC) and loosing against weaker teams (5-2 in Lausanne, 2-0 against Kloten), but they get enough points for their playoffs position to remain unchallenched.
Philippe Bozon still leads the team with 6 goals and 22 assists in 28 games, but Andreas Johansson has been on fire lately and is closing in with 10 goals and 17 assists in 29 games. Michal Grosek is third with 7 goals and 14 assists in 26 games, added to a league leading 100 penalty minutes, while Kevin Romy has 10 goals and 10 assists in 30 games, most among under 20 years old. Behind them, nobody is really scoring impressively, but a lot of diffenrents players have an interesting contribution, notably Jan Cadieux (6G 7A in 29 games) and Igor Fedulov (2G 10A in 16 games) who just came back from an injury. After Derek Armstrong left the team with 6 goals and 7 assists in only 9 games, Geneva hired Shean Donovan, who got 4 goals and 2 assists in 10 games so far.
Geneva’s defense, the main reason for their impressive 3rd place last season, looks quite vulnerable. Goran Bezina has a nice 7 goals and 7 assists total in 19 games, but his lack of skating skills are often exposed, while John Gobbi get more noticed for the time he spend in the penalty box (60 pim in 30 games). Behind them, the lack of experience is obvious and goalie Reto Pavoni isn’t making anyone feel secure.

Bern : 12-4-14, 87-84 (5-2-3)

Alpo Suhonen’s hiring couldn’t end Bern’s loosing streak, which reached 5 games, but Christian Dubé’s return from his 10 games suspension was enough to record a 4-0 win against Lugano behind Marco Bührer’s brillant goaltending. They followed that game with a 6-0 loss in Davos, but are undefeated since, although none of this games was against a top opponent. Their last games of the year, against ZSC and Zug, should tell more about Bern’s current form.
Christian Dubé’s return helped Ivo Rüthemann regain his scoring touch, as he scored 5 goals and 7 assists in his last 10 games (11G 16A total), but he had to surrender the team lead to Daniel Brière, who has 9 goals and 19 assists in only 22 games. Yves Sarault is third with 7 goals and 15 assists, mainly because of his linemate (Brière-Heatly, then Dubé-Rüthemann), added to his trademark 78 penalty minutes. Dubé, despite playing in only 10 games, has 7 goals and 13 assists. Dany Heatley is currently injured after being hit in the eye by a shot from Daniel Brière, but it is not as serious as expected and he should be back in early january. So far, his stats are an impressive 7 goals, 8 assists and 44 pim in only 10 games. To replace him, Bern hired Marc Savard from Thurgau of the NLB, but he was released after only 5 games (1G 2A) as he was completly out of shape and had some attitude problems. They also hired Kloten’s captain Marc Reichert, who had only a disappointing 1 goal and 2 assists in 22 games with his former team, but scored 3 times and added 1 assist in 8 games since joining Bern, good enough to join Rüthemann on the national team, as he’s one of Switzerland most physical forward.
Bern placed two other players on the national team, namely goalie Marco Bührer, who now play better than earlier this season, and its captain and defensive leader Martin Steinegger, who could add 3 goals and 12 assists to his good defensive play. He’s Bern’s only defenseman with an interesting offensive production, as Rich Brennan only has 5 goals and 3 assists in 18 games and is often an healthy scratch. Behind them, 19 year old Philipp Furrer is getting more ice time than ever and should be a key player in the upcoming under 20 world championnships.

Old
12-17-2004, 03:32 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

As I promised, here's the last four team :

Kloten : 10-4-16, 73-89 (4-1-6)

Kloten had some terrible games (3-3 vs Lausanne, 1-4 vs ZSC and 0-4 vs Fribourg, all three at home), but has been playing better lately and earned some nice win (6-0 vs Langnau, 3-1 at ZSC, 2-0 in Geneva and 2-1 against Lausanne). Unfortunately, as Bern is now playing to its full potential, it will be hard to get a playoff spot.
Kimmo Rintanen (13G 16A) still leads the team in scoring , but he now has some trouble to find the net (1G 4A in his last 10 games). He mostly play on the second line with Penguins prospect Patrick Bärtschi, who has only 4 goals and 2 assists in 15 games since coming back from injury. Various players have been tried with them, but no combination resulted in a productive line. The offensive production is now provided by the line of Dominic Pittis, who is closing in on Rintanen with 9 goals and 18 assists (3G 7A in his last 6 games), Steve Guolla (4G 7A in 11 games, but 3G 7A in his last 6) and 20 year old Romano Lemm, still impressive in his breakout season, with 9 goals and 11 assists, and got a deserved national team call. Unfortunately, Guolla is injured again and another forward will be hired. Kloten’s third and fourth line, despite being more solid than early in the season due to the return of some injured players, don’t score much.
On defense, Dave Tanabe was hired to replace Patrice Brisebois, and he’s having a way bigger impact, having scored 5 goals and 6 assists in 14 games, already tying Severin Blindenbacher (4G 7A in 27 games) for the team lead among defensemen. Blindenbacher, along with hard hitting Timo Helbling, will represent Kloten’s defense in the upcoming Lotto cup in Slovakia. Philippe Seydoux, scoreless lately (still 8 assists in 24 games), will play in the u20 worlds, and is expected to lead team Switzerland’s defense, while Fabien Guignard, despite getting only 2 assists in 14 games, brings some much needed experience in Kloten’s young roster.

Langnau : 8-5-17, 64-106 (2-1-7)

After beating Fribourg and Bern, Langnau is now on a 8 games winless streak, firing their coach twice during that span. Dave Chambers replaced Jim Koleff, but didn’t last long as the team became worst than before, their only point coming at home against Bern (2-2). They were completely outplayed in many other games (5-2 in Lausanne, 6-2 at home vs ZSC, 6-0 in Kloten, 6-1 in Rapperswil and 10-3 in Davos). The future doesn’t look bright as they have Lugano on the schedule.
Their best scorer is Jeff Shantz with only 9 goals and 14 assists in 30 games, and only Thibault Monnet (6G 15A) and Daniel Steiner (8G 11A) are close. Even Tim Connoly is limited to 8 goals and 3 assists in 16 games. Langnau used a league record 10 foreign players so far, but none of them had a very strong impact. Fernando Pisani left (1G 3A in 7 games) and was replaced by Rob DiMaio (2G 2A in 8 games), Jamie Heward (2G 8A) isn’t doing very well on defense, while some other, namely Jukka Tilikainen and Haris Vitolinsh, had unproductive short stints. The swiss players aren’t doing better, as none of them was selected in the national team, even if Steiner, Monnet and Loïc Burkhalter took regulary part in international tournaments last season.
Langnau’s goalie situation is even worst than its offense, as Pauli Jaks, released by Avangard Omsk and hired to replace Martin Gerber, is awful. He allowed 32 goals in 7 games, being injured during 3 others where neither backup Daniel Rüfenacht, nor farm team goalie Marc Zimmerman, could do anything.

Fribourg : 8-4-18, 76-108 (1-2-7)

Fribourg’s only win came in Kloten (4-0), and they could save two points in home games against Ambrì and ZSC (both 3-3), but it was just enough to barely escape the last place. Their next games, at home against Lausanne and in Langnau, will be crucials.
Fribourg rely mostly on four players. Jukka Hentunen leads the team with 16 goals and 16 assists, Mickael Karlberg is second with 6 goals and 21 assists in only 27 games, Valentin Wirz (11G 15A) will be Fribourg’s only skater to play for team Switzerland, and Thomas Rhodin has a nice 4 goals and 18 assists total, third in the league among defensemen, behind Petteri Nummelin (42) and Mark Streit (23). Behind them, only Wild prospect Julien Sprunger is a satisfaction with 8 goals and 7 assists, as no other player is coming close from his best form, not even Paul Martin, limited to 2 goals and 2 assists in 9 games.

Lausanne : 7-4-19, 79-108 (3-3-4)

As unbelievable as it seemed 3 weeks ago, Lausanne is now playing well. They had two close games against Lugano (3-2 loss in Lausanne, 2-2 in Lugano, only home game Lugano didn’t win this season), beat Langnau (5-2), Ambrì (5-4) and Geneva (5-2), tied Zug (3-3) and Kloten (3-3) and barely loss to Kloten (2-1). Their only clear defeats came in Bern (6-3) and at home against Rapperswil (4-1, mainly thanks to Marco Streit’s brillant goaltending).
Martin St-Louis was expected to boost Lausanne’s offense, but despite his 4 goals and 8 assists in 10 games, he wasn’t the team’s best player during their good streak. Neither were his linemates Eric Landry (team leader with 15 goals and 15 assists, 4G 6A since playing with St-Louis) or Gerd Zenhaüsern (7G 18A total, 2G 6A playing with St-Louis). Lausanne’s best player is now Marko Tuomainen. The hard working finnish had 8 goals and 7 assists in the last ten games and is now the third best scorer in the team with 12 goals and 11 assists. He currently play on a line centered by Oliver Kamber (5G 16A so far) with Robert Slehofer (5G 5A) on the other side. The third and fourth lines still aren’t spectacular, but are now reliables.
Lausanne aquired another player in defenseman Andy Roach (2G 1A in 8 games), and despite being barely noticed with all the fans and media attention being focused on St-Louis and Tuomainen, he made Patrick Boileau an healthy scratch. His puck handling skills and calm when dealing with pressure make him a good fit with Lausanne’s offense.

Old
12-29-2004, 08:09 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Thans stv11 for your amazing job.
I live in Milano, Italy, but I follow Swiss ice hockey and sometimes I travel to Switzerland to watch games (this season I went to Davos in November to watch the clash vs Ambrì-Piotta and in December I attended Lugano-Lausanne...just for St.Louis, of course!).

Your updates are greatly appreciated!

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2004, 09:23 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Nummelin is playing and you dare watch another player :mad:

Old
12-29-2004, 09:32 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Nummelin is playing and you dare watch another player :mad:

Against Lausanne he played a normal game, but I know he's considered the best dman outside the NHL. I was planning more trips to Switzerland, but in the last 2 weeks a lot of NHLers are coming to Italy, so I think I'll drive less and I'll watch italian league games

Which is your fav team?

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2004, 10:46 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

STV11 thanks for the updates. They are appreciated. Hard to find good info on the lEuro leagues here in the States.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2004, 10:52 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi
Which is your fav team?
My favorite team is Lugano, and I have a soft spot for Kloten as well

Old
01-16-2005, 02:46 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

Finally an update ! It’s been a long time since the last one, but there weren’t many game played.

Current standings (37 games, except Lugano and Davos with 38) :

1. Lugano 53
2. Davos 52
3. ZSC 45
4. Rapperswil 40
5. Zug 40
6. Ambrì 39
7. Geneva 37
8. Bern 32
9. Kloten 32
10. Langnau 28
11. Fribourg 26
12. Lausanne 22

Lugano : 23-7-8 record, 122-91 goals (3-2-3 since last update)

Lugano has been unregular lately with losses against Langnau (3-2), Davos (4-3) and Kloten (4-2, their first home loss of the season), and unconvincing wins against Geneva (2-1), Fribourg (1-0) and Rapperswil (3-2). They had many injuries, most notably Petteri Nummelin missing 6 games, but they now can dress a full line up, which will be upgraded next week by Alex Tanguay.
Ville Peltonen leads the team in scoring with 20 goals and 26 assists, followed by Petteri Nummelin with 13 goals and 32 assists in only 32 games. He came back last week end from his injury and already got 3 assists in 2 games, despite not having fully recovered. Peltonen’s linemate Ryan Gardner (19G 16A) is third despite his obvious lack of skills, mainly thanks to his smart use of his size, with most of his goals coming off rebounds and deflections in front of the net. Sandy Jeannin still adds an interesting production (10G 21A) to his effective two way play. Behind them, the scoring is well balanced with 9 players between 10 and 21 points, notably Mike Maneluk who has 8 goals and 13 assists in only 24 games.
Lugano’s goalie situation may now evolve as it’s now obvious that there won’t be no NHL season. David Aebischer started consecutive games for the first time this season. He was in the net during Lugano’s two overtime losses, in Langnau and Davos (a game in which an obvious goalie interference helped Davos to score the game winning goal), and had a strong game in a 2-2 draw at Ambrì, despite allowing a weak game tying goal. Ronnie Rüeger played in the 5 other games, and appart from allowing a soft goal in the Kloten loss, was very solid, his highlight ironically coming in front of Aebischer’s home fans, in a 1-0 win in Fribourg.

Davos : 24-4-10, 140-91 (5-1-1)

Unlike most seasons, they don’t look tired after the Spengler cup as Davos is the hottest team in the league right now, and they are closing in on Lugano. They surprisinlgy lost at home against Fribourg (3-1), and were held to a 2-2 draw by Ambrì, but won all of their remaining games, some luckilly (5-4 in Lausanne, with Lausanne’s goalie missplaying the puck in overtime, 4-3 against Lugano with a suspect overtime goal, 3-2 in Geneva with two goals in the last two minutes) and some other impressively (4-0 against ZSC, a team they had failed to beat for almost two years, 2-0 in Bern with two late shorthanded goals).
Joe Thornton is regulary picking up some assists and is now quitely coming close from leading the league with 10 goals and 44 assists, but he’s unfortunately on his way to become one of the most hated player in the league after a sucker punch on ZSC’s goalie Ari Sulander, his third cheap shot of the season. Rick Nash is second with 23 goals and 18 assists. The rest of the top six consist of Thornton’s and Nash’s linemates (17G 21A for Jozef Mahra, 14G 21A for Nicklas Hagman, 10G 25A for Reto Von Arx, and 18G and 13A for Michel Riesen). Behind them, only Andres Ambühl (7G 11A) and 19 year old Peter Guggisberg (12G 5A in only 30 games, as an injury forced him to sit out some games, including the u20 worlds) have interesting numbers, while defensive forward Sandro Rizzi, despite being limited to 9 goals and 2 assists, is having a strong season as a third line center. There’s still nothing to get excited about the defense, as the top scoring defensemen (Benny Winkler and Beat Forster, who just came back from an injury) are limited to 7 points.
Davos’ 22 years old goalie Jonas Hiller is getting stronger as the season advance. He had a fantastic Spengler cup, which he followed by allowing two soft goals in a 2-2 draw against Ambrì, but rebounded with consecutives shutout against Bern and ZSC. He then was his team’s best player in their 4-3 win against Lugano, and it now seems that there’s no question mark anymore in Davos’ net.

ZSC 21-3-13, 124-93 (4-1-2)

ZSC surprisingly lost at home to Lausanne (4-2) and had no chance in Davos (4-0), but got some nice wins (7-2 against Bern, 3-2 against Kloten after being down 2-0). Despite having some tough games left on the schedule, they should be able to secure the third place.
Randy Robitaille is their top scorer with an astounding 53 points total (16G 37A), one shy from the league leader, despite missing 8 games. He easily leads the league in points per game played. His linemate Robert Petrovicky has 17 goals and 27 assists, and defenseman Mark Streit completes the top 3 with 13 goals and 22 assists. Robitaille and Petrovicky now play on a line with veteran Claudio Micheli, who complete them well with his experience (14 points in his last 10 games, 23 points total). The second line is led by Jan Alston, who has 13 goals and 20 assists in only 30 games, associated to experienced center Michel Zeiter (16 points) and former Rangers pick Sven Helfenstein (15 points). Among defensemen, Mattias Seger is second to Mark Streit with 2 goals and 8 assists in only 19 games, and adding some solid defensive play, proving he’s one of the most complete swiss defenseman. Streit’s linemate, 20 year old Andri Stoffel, has only 2 assists so far but is probably ZSC’s nicest surprise this season.

Rapperswil : 18-4-15, 119-100 (2-1-3)

Rapperswil’s home invincibility looks like a thing of the past as they got only one point in their last 3 home games (3-3 against ZSC, 2-3 against Lugano and 1-2 against Ambrì). Fortunately, they still play well enough to get some away wins (6-3 in Zug and 4-1 in Langnau). With many difficult games remaining, they’ll have a hard time securing home ice advantage for the playoff.
The team’s leader is Stacey Roest with 16 goals and 37 assists, and Mikko Eloranta is second with 18 goals and 25 assists. Their linemate is still 22 year old Thomas Walser, who can regulary go on the scoresheet and now has 16 goals and 11 assists. The second line is led by Dale McTavish (20G 21A) and center Marc Weber (5G 22A), who was known as an hard working third line center until this season, but is now a perfect fit to McTavish. Denny Bärtschi (5G 5A, all points coming in his last 17 games) complete the line. Rapperswil’s third and fourth lines don’t produce much offensively, but play reliable defensive hockey, thanks to the experience of centers Markus Bütler and Patrizio Morger.
The defensive top 4 is also very reliable. Finnish star Marko Tuulola helps the offense with 21 points in only 28 games, while veteran Marco Bayer (13 points) complete the top pair. 22 year old Cyril Geyer, despite being scoreless in 16 games after his great early season performance (13 points in 21 games), is still a good surprise, and former national team player Patrick Fischer rebounded well after having a very poor season last year with Zug.
In goal, starter Marco Streit was injured against Zug and 19 year old Mickael Tobler took over so well after coming back from the u20 worlds that he kept the starting job, setting up an interesting goalie battle for the starting job in the playoffs.

The remaining teams will come during the week, depending on my working schedule.

Old
01-19-2005, 03:41 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

Here's three more teams. I'll probably add the last five saturday.

Zug : 17-6-14, 119-119 (3-1-3)

Zug was beaten in Kloten, in Bern and at home against Rapperswil, but followed that sequence with a four game unbeaten streak, with wins against Ambrì, Fribourg and Lausanne, and a draw against Geneva. They’ll have a hard time moving up in the standings, as their next four games include travels to Davos, ZSC and Lugano.
Oleg Petrov is Zug’s top scorer with a league leading 27 goals added to 21 assists. Niko Kapanen is second with 9 goals and 24 assists, while local star Patrick Fischer has 11 goals and 15 assists without ever getting first line ice time. Ottawa’s Mike Fisher, who became a fan favorite during his first shift for Zug with two nice hits, is one of the most convincing NHLer in Switzerland, with 9 goals and 14 assists in 15 games (including 5G 4A in his last 5 games). Defenseman Barry Richter took advantage from an injury to Brett Hauer to secure the fourth foreign player spot. He now has 7 goals and 16 assists in 33 games. Other important players for Zug are hard working winger Patrick Della Rossa, who rebounded well from his poor 2004 season (only 12 points for ZSC), with 7 goals and 10 assists in 33 games so far, veteran defensman Gaetan Voisard, who add a nice 13 points total to his solid defensive play, and defenseman René Back, who get top pair ice time in Zug after failling to impress in ZSC’s deep defensive line up.
After playing 17 year old Raphaël Walter five games, and hiring Rapperswil’s Michael Tobler on loan for two games, Zug finally got his starting goalie Lars Weibel back. His return was difficult as he allowed 6 goals against Rapperswil, but he got back to his usual level since.

Ambrì : 16-7-14, 119-112 (3-2-2)

After coming close from droping out of the playoffs positions, Ambrì had a good sequence to start the new year, winning games against Kloten, Lausanne and Rapperswil, loosing against Geneva and Zug, and tying Davos and Lugano (the first time in league history they fail to beat their big rival during the regular season). However, the might lost the Lausanne game for breaking the import player rules (4 foreigners can be dressed, including one from the european union, and they dressed four non-EU players). The league is currently investigating the case.
Hnat Domwnicheli leads the league in scoring, despite being scoreless in his last two games, with 20 goals and 34 assists. His linemate Jean-Guy Trudel is 3 points behind him, with 22 goals and 29 assists, while being suspended for one game.Their center, Mickael Liniger, is far behind with 7 goals and 11 assists. The second line is still led by Jeff Toms (18G 23A in 31 games), with Corsin Camichel way behind (9G 12A, best swiss scorer on the team). Two players did well lately for Ambrì, namely third line checking center Benoit Pont (8G 8A, with 2G and 3A coming in his last 4 games) and veteran defenseman Nicolas Celio (2G 8A). Swedish defenseman Oskar Åckeström came back from a pre-season injury, but despite getting 7 assists in 6 games has failed to impress so far, especially considering that he was replaced by Kim Johnsson. Ambrì also had some bad luck regarding injuries, as they lost national team defenseman Reto Kobach for three weeks, and second line winger Alain Demuth for the season.
They finally can breath again regarding their goalie situation. Simon Züger started all of the last 7 games and did well, meaning that it’s unlikely to see Hurricanes’ prospect Daniel Manzato getting any more ice time this season.

Geneva : 16-5-16, 108-113 (3-1-3)

Geneva is currently on a three game winless streak, tying Zug (3-3 after trailling 3-0), and loosing to Davos and ZSC. Their next games, against Lausanne, Bern and Kloten, could help them to secure their playoff position, or coming dangerously close from the 9th place.
Andreas Johansson is now the team’s top scorer with 12 goals and 25 assists in 36 games, while veteran Philippe Bozon is still doing better than expected with 9 goals and 24 assists in only 31 games. Michal Grosek is third on the team despite scoring only a few points lately with 12 goals and 16 assists in 34 games, but once again he got noticed for his league leading 135 penalty minutes when he got a game misconduct in a 9-6 (!) win against Ambrì. Junior national team player Kevin Romy and Ivan Benoit are doing fine with 21 (10G 11A) and 11 (2G 9A) respectively. After Derek Armstrong (9GP 6G 7A) and Shean Donovan (12GP 5G 3A) left the team, they hired two other NHLers in Geoff Sanderson (1G in 4 games) and Serges Aubin (1A in 2 games), but both have failed to impress so far.

Old
01-22-2005, 07:39 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

It took some time but I finally got all the teams !

Bern : 13-7-18, 109-111 (1-2-4)

The defending champion is in big trouble. They beat Zug at home (5-0), but have failed to register a single win in 2005 yet, loosing 6-4 in Kloten after leading 4-2 at the start of the thrid period, 2-0 at home against Davos with two late shorthanded goals, and 2-3 at home against their local rival Langnau. They could escape from trips to Lugano and Lausanne with two 3-3 ties. Their remaining schedule doesn’t look that hard, but they now seem able to loose to anyone and will have a hard time sneeking into the playoffs. It may all come down to the very last game of the regular season, when Bern hosts Kloten.
Ivo Rüthemann leads the team in scoring with 12 goals and 22 assists, and Daniel Brière is close with 11 goals and 20 assists in only 29 game, but he’s far from being as efficient without Dany Heatley, who just came back from his eye injury and scored a late game tying goal against Lausanne. He now has 8 goals and 8 assists in 12 games. The other top 6 forwards aren’t very impressive, as Christian Dubé is below his usual point-per-game pace (28GP 9G 16A), Sébastien Bordeleau is having his worst season ever (35GP 7G 13A) and Yves Sarault (33GP 9G 16A) get some point mainly because of his linemate, but get noticed an other way as he once again cracked the 100 pim mark. Bern’s most satisfying line is currently the third, with center André Rötheli (4G 16A) finally playing well, along with wingers Rolf Schrepfer (4G 13A in 21 games after missing the start of the season) and Mark Reichert (8G 2A in 15 games since coming from Kloten). National team forward Thomas Ziegler is limited to 4 goals and 4 assists in 25 games, but he’s now playing on defence. Defenseman Martin Steinegger maybe has the team’s most interesting offensive production with 6 goals and 14 assists, but the lack of talent of the remaing defensemen is obvious as nobody else cracked the 10 points marks, but on the other hand, 7 of Bern’s 8 defensmen have already hit double digit in the penalty minutes stat, four having more than 30.

Kloten : 14-4-19, 98-109 (4-0-3)

Kloten now has as many points as Bern, winning games against Zug, Bern, Rapperswil and Lugano (4-2, first team to win in Lugano this season), but they have to settle for the 9th place after they failed to beat Ambrì, Fribourg and ZSC (3-2 after leading 2-0). They need to become a little more regular to overtake Bern.
Kloten is led by Kimmo Rintanen (17G 21A) and Domenic Pittis (11G 23A). Jeff Halpern was hired to replace the injured Steve Guolla and has 3 goals and 1 assists in 5 games. The other main offensive contributors are Sven Lindemann (11G 13A) and Romano Lemm (9G 15A). Penguins prospect Patrick Bärtschi scored 5 points in Kloten’s last 7 games, and his season totals are 6 goals and 7 assists in 22 games, and 21 year old Cyril Bühler has a good 2 goals 9 assists total so far. Another forwarding having an interesting impact is career Flyer André Rufener, hired back from Thurgau of the NLB, who scored 3 goals and added 2 assists in 7 games, as he brings some consistency in Kloten’s young roster.
Defenseman Severin Blindenbacher has been on fire lately, with 4 goals and 3 assists in his last 7 games (34GP 8G 10A total) while playing some games at center. Dave Tanabe missed some games due to injury and has 3 goals and 5 assists in 13 games.

Langnau : 11-6-20, 85-129 (3-1-3)

Langnau can win some games and is not that far away from Bern and Kloten, but it seems unlikely that they can come back on two teams four points ahead with only 7 games left. Their next two games, at home against Kloten and Ambrì, both have to be won in order to get a chance.
They have the lowest scoring top scorer in the league, as Thibault Monnet has 8 goals and 19 assists, and Daniel Steiner has 12 goals and 13 assists. Jeff Shantz only got two assists in his last 7 games. Hard worker Mirko Murovic is the fourth best scoring forward with 7 goals and 9 assists, but Langnau’s most impressive player is currently 41 year old defenseman Valeri Shiriaev, now 4th on the team in scoring with 5 goals and 14 assists, despite only playing on the third defensive pair. They still are unable to find four regular import players, as Tim Connoly is injured, and are still hiring players for short stints, the lattest behind Richard Park, who has 1 goals in 3 games so far.
Goalie Pauli Jaks came back from his injury, but is still very unimpressive and is one of the worst in the league at his position.

Fribourg : 10-6-21, 92-127 (2-2-3)

Just like Bern, they barely win enough game to stay ahead of the team chasing them, thanks to wins against Kloten (3-2) and in Davos (3-1). The last place is still a strong possibility, as they still have to play in Lausanne, a team they have failed to beat so far this season, getting only one point out of three games.
Paul Martin left, but they hired Trevor Letowski to boost the offense, and it immediately paid off as he got 2 goals and 2 assists in his first two games. That means that Fribourg has to scratch one of its foreign player, and as Jukka Hentunen’s (20G 18A) and Thomas Rhodin’s (5G 23A) places look safe, Richard Lintner (1G 8A in 20 games) or Mickael Karlberg (6G 28A) must sit games, depending on the team’s need of a forward or a defenseman.
Fribourg is short on satisfaction this season, and beside national team regular Valentin Wirz (15G 16A) and Wild prospect Julien Sprunger (9G 7A in 34 games), not a single player has a contribution worth talking about.

Lausanne : 8-6-23, 103-133 (1-2-4)

Despite still playing way better than early in the season, Lausanne can’t get any result, earning just a surprising win away to ZSC (4-2). They may still escape the last place, as they’ll be only 2 points behind Fribourg if they are awarded the win in the Ambrì game, which is very likely.
Marko Tuomainen is still Lausanne’s hottest player. He took over the scoring lead with 20 goals and 13 assists, one point ahead of Eric Landry (16G 16A). Oliver Kamber, currently on a good streak, is now third with 6 goals and 23 assists. Gerd Zenhaüsern (7G 20A), one of Lausanne’s most regular player early in the season, has now trouble scoring, as his slow skating is fully exposed now that Lausanne play at a quicker pace. Defenseman Patrick Boileau took advantage of an injury to Andy Roach to get the fourth import player spot. He has 6 goals and 14 assists in 25 games so far. Martin St-Louis, despite being the only player on the team to have more than a point per game (16GP 6G 14A), is a little disappointing as it’s obvious he could do more to help the team simply by taking more shots instead of trying too many highlight worthy but unproductive passes.
Lausanne’s third line of Sasha Weibel, Christophe Brown and Lovis Schönenberger has surprisingly produced some points lately, especially Weible whose season total is 4 goals and 8 assists, quite an achievement considering he maybe is the worst skater in the league.