Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Western Europe
Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

[AUT/SUI] the official NLA/NLB/austrian bundesliga thread

Old
03-02-2005, 05:23 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
I have many friends who are Ambrì fan, and they often told me that they weren't welcome in many arenas and that the whole "sympathy for Ambrì" thing is myth (and even if it wasn't, all of that late season stuff made sure it's no longer the case).

I also agree with Strizzi concerning the primitiv part of the fans. I try not to care about these guys, but sometimes they take away the fun from attending a game.

Strizzi, which team do you think has the biggest fan base in your area (by the way, where are you from ?). Here in western Switzerland, outside the local teams, Bern and both italian speaking teams are the only teams with a true fan base (I'd even say they are more popular than Geneva, who has no fans outside its own area). I'm interested in knowing which teams are popular outside their area.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2005, 05:28 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strizzi
And yes, a lot of Swiss german hockey fans have sympathies for Ambri as well.
Now that I think about it, when I went to Davos last november to attend the game between the local team and Ambrì, while I was parking my car I heard a bunch of Ambrì fans (about 12-15 people) talking in German...

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2005, 06:39 AM
Strizzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11
I have many friends who are Ambrì fan, and they often told me that they weren't welcome in many arenas and that the whole "sympathy for Ambrì" thing is myth (and even if it wasn't, all of that late season stuff made sure it's no longer the case).
Maybe that's not among the hardcore fans, but a lot of people I know are fans of another team but have a soft spot for Ambri as well (maybe that's just those who don't like Lugano, or it's the underdog factor, dunno). But as I don't care about these hardcore fans either, I don't know too well how they think.

But you're correct about that late season stuff though, it's cost them a lot of sympathies and deservedly so.
Quote:
Strizzi, which team do you think has the biggest fan base in your area (by the way, where are you from ?). Here in western Switzerland, outside the local teams, Bern and both italian speaking teams are the only teams with a true fan base (I'd even say they are more popular than Geneva, who has no fans outside its own area). I'm interested in knowing which teams are popular outside their area.
I'm originally from St. Gallen, but live in Zurich now. In the northeastern part of Switzerland (where there hasn't been an NLA team anymore for quite some time), I'd guess that Davos is the team with the largest amount of supporters. Davos doesn't have a lot of home fans (because it's a small town) but generally enjoys a lot of sympathies in other areas. And then there's some Lugano fans, some Bern fans, just the big clubs (Lugano probably more than Bern because of the "grande Lugano" era). Most people outside Zurich dislike the ZSC though, that's a team with almost no fans outside their area.

Strizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2005, 08:26 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
?

Don't know how to interpret that. Does it mean that you're one of the few Milanesi who are not Lugano fan, or is it the other way 'round?
C'mon, how can it be the other way 'round? I think i was pretty clear..read that bolded part, it has been exactly the same for me!
Btw, i appreciated a lot Renato Tosio in his best years!
Oh, and don't call me 'Milanese' please! It sounds bad hockey-wise..
also, i am often in Milano but i am not from Milano.

Quote:
Ok, I always thought that Lugano is the most liked team in Milano
It is, for most of the fews who cares. Milano and Lugano fans are 'twins' and Milano fans sometimes dedicate chants to Lugano.

Quote:
But you're correct about that late season stuff though, it's cost them a lot of sympathies and deservedly so.
What the hell happened?

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2005, 08:47 AM
Strizzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter
C'mon, how can it be the other way 'round? I think i was pretty clear..read that bolded part, it has been exactly the same for me!
In this case: as well!
Quote:
Btw, i appreciated a lot Renato Tosio in his best years!
Yep, he was great.
Quote:
What the hell happened?
They used too many non-EU foreigners in one game according to the current rules, but argued that the Latvian Haris Witolinsch should be counted as EU-foreigner now as well (even though the rule was clearly about the "old" EU, as Switzerland doesn't have freedom of movement with the new EU countries yet). And they got away with it.

Old
03-02-2005, 09:39 AM
Albi

Quote:
And they got away with it.
Those sneaky italians...always the same old story

Old
03-02-2005, 10:59 AM
Strizzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi
Those sneaky italians...always the same old story
Don't tell a Sopraceneri guy that he's Italian, he'd disagree

Old
03-02-2005, 02:42 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

Nice to finally see some action in this thread !

I wanted to write a playoffs preview, but I didn't have any free time before the post season started, so I'll put it now. Please read this as if the playoffs were still about to start ! (And I'm not cheating with my predictions, they were made before the first games)

(1) Lugano vs (8) Bern

Games this season :

Bern 1-2 Lugano
Lugano 4-1 Bern
Bern 4-0 Lugano
Lugano 3-3 Bern

Lugano :

Ville Peltonen – Ryan Gardner – Mike Maneluk
Adrian Wichser – Flavien Conne – Sandy Jeannin
Martin Gelinas – Paul DiPietro – Régis Fuchs
Keith Fair – JJ Aeschlimann – Andy Näser
Sébastien Reuille

Petteri Nummelin – Julien Vauclair
Steve Hirschi – Andreas Hänni
Noël Guyaz – Olivier Keller
Krister Cantoni

David Aebischer

(Jamie Pollock will play on defense as long as Nummelin is injured)

Bern :

Ivo Rüthemann – Sébastien Bordeleau – Christian Dubé
Jean-Pierre Dumont – Daniel Brière – Yves Sarault
Rolf Schrepfer – André Rötheli – Mark Reichert
Marc Käser – Luca Cereda – Caryl Neuenschwander

Martin Steinegger – Beat Gerber
Thomas Ziegler – David Jobin
Rolf Ziegler – Dominic Meier
Marc Leuenberger – Philippe Furrer

Marco Bührer

(Subject to change due to the signing of Henrik Tallinder. If Tallinder play, Thomas Ziegler will be moved to offense and either Sarault, Bordeleau or Dumont will be scratched)

What to expect :

The serie between the number one seed and the number eight is usually one sided and ends quickly, but because of Bern’s poor regular season, this year it is the most awaited. Lugano ended the regular season with 6 consecutive wins, while Bern was undefeated in its last 7, so both team are in full confidence. The team that will impose its playing style will probably end up as the winner. Will Bern’s unskilled defense be able to handle Lugano’s agressive forechecking, and how will Lugano’s skill first team handle Bern’s physical play ?

My prediction :

Lugano wins the serie 4-2

(2) Davos vs (7) Rapperswil

Games this season :

Rapperswil 4-2 Davos
Davos 1-0 Rapperswil
Davos 4-2 Rapperswil
Rapperswil 5-3 Davos

Davos :

Rick Nash – Reto Von Arx – Michel Riesen
Joe Thornton – Jozef Mahra – Nicklas Hagman
Björn Christen – Sandro Rizzi – Peter Guggisberg
Laurent Müller – Fabian Sutter – Andres Ambühl

Jan Von Arx – Marc Gianola
Michel Kress – Beat Forster
Florian Blatter – Benny Winkler
Andreas Häller – Arne Ramholt

Jonas Hiller

Rapperswil :

Kristian Huselius – Marc Weber – Dale McTavish
Mikko Eloranta – Markus Bütler – Thomas Walser
André Baumann – Niki Siren – Denny Bärtschi
Antonio Rizzelo – Stefan Hürlimann – Patrick Berchtold

Marko Tuulola – Marco Bayer
Cyril Geyer – Patrick Fischer
Marco Capaul – Fabian Stephan
Patrick Parati – Sandro Gmür

Marco Streit

(Subject to change as Stacey Roest is currently injured and Rapperswil had to made many changes for this serie)

What to expect :

Despite Rapperswil being able to win twice and keep the other games close against Davos during the regular season, anything else than an easy Davos win would be a big upset. Rapperswil overachieved, but showed its limit in the end of the season, when they fell to the 7th place after being able to hold on the 5th for long. Davos’ offense seems way to powerfull and they might well get some rest while Lugano and Bern battle, as well as give their young goalie some playoffs experience and confidence.

My prediction :

Davos wins the serie 4-1

Old
03-02-2005, 03:19 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

(3) ZSC vs (6) Ambrì

Games this season :

Ambrì 2-4 ZSC
ZSC 6-2 Ambrì
ZSC 5-1 Ambrì
Ambrì 3-1 ZSC

ZSC :

Jan Alston – Randy Robitaille – Robert Petrovicky
Thierry Paterlini – Reto Stirnimann – Tony Virta
Claudio Micheli – Michel Zeiter – Reto Raffainer
Kim Lindemann – Andreas Camenzind – Sven Helfenstein
Pascal Tiegermann

Mark Streit – Martin Kout
Mattias Seger – Andri Stoffel
Tim Ramholt – Edgar Salis
Martin Höhener

Ari Sulander

Ambrì :

Jean-Guy Trudel – Michael Liniger – Hnat Domenichelli
Corsin Camichel – Jeff Toms – Lars Leuenberger
Mattia Baldi – Benoit Pont – Paolo Imperatori
Axel Heim – Philippe Lüber – Vjeran Ivankovic
Claudio Celio

Tiziano Giannini – Andreas Lilja
Reto Kobach – Félicien Du Bois
Nicola Celio – Oskar Szczepaniec
Alan Tallarini

Simon Züger

(This is Ambrì’s regular line up, but injuries and suspensions against Ryan Malone, Trudel and Domenichelli will force coach Serge Pelletier to change it)

What to expect :

ZSC never had many troubles dealing with Ambrì, and with injuries against Ambrì’s key forward, they may even have an easier way to the semi-finals than expected.

My prediction :

ZSC wins the serie 4-1

(4) Zug vs (5) Geneva

Games this season :

Zug 0-3 Geneva
Geneva 7-4 Zug
Geneva 3-3 Zug
Zug 3-3 Geneva

Zug :

Frédéric Rothen – Niko Kapanen – Oleg Petrov
Mike Fisher – Duri Camichel – Patrick Fischer
Gian Marco Crameri – Patrick Oppliger – Patrick Della Rossa
Cosrin Casutt – Fabian Schnyder – Daniel Giger
Beat Schuler

Barry Richter – Pascal Müller
Livio Fazio – René Back
Gaëtan Voisard – Raphaël Diaz
Silvan Anthamatten

Lars Weibel

(Keep in mind that Zug’s coach often changed his lines during the season)

Geneva :

Serge Aubin – Andreas Johansson – Philippe Bozon
Jan Cadieux – Michal Grosek – Igor Fedulov
Thomas Déruns – Kevin Romy – Gian-Carlo Hendry
Bruno Brechbühl – Paul Savary – Christophe Rivera

Goran Bezina – Ralph Ott
Jakub Horak – John Gobbi
Wesley Snell – Johnatan Mercier
Philippe Rytz

Reto Pavoni

(Geneva signed Steve Thornton from the british league as they already lost Geoff Sanderson to a season ending injury, and Grosek currently suffers from some illness)

What to expect :

Zug always had trouble dealing with Geneva ever since they came back to the NLA three seasons ago, failing to win one single home game in that span. However, this is the playoffs and it might be a different story. Both team are tough and have many players known for their physical play, so this might end in seven game.

My prediction :

Zug wins the serie 4-3

Old
03-02-2005, 04:04 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

What really happend :

Lugano 0-2 Bern

Bern converted two power play with goals from Jean-Pierre Dumont and Dominic Meier and stellar goaltending by Marco Bürher kept Lugano scoreless at home for the first time since 1993.

Bern 2-5 Lugano

Lugano don't want to be the first number one seed ever to loose in the first round, and immediately tied the serie with a strong special team effort and a solid performance by David Aebischer. Bern's coach Alpo Suhonen decided to dress Henrik Tallinder, but strangely scratched Jean-Pierre Dumont instead of Yves Sarault or Sébastien Bordeleau. After opening the scoring late in the first by Steve Hirschi, Lugano put it out of reach with power play goals by Flavien Conne and Mike Maneluk early in the second. Maneluk again scored on a shorthanded breakaway to seal it, before Martin Steinegger finally could beat Aebischer. Goals by Sandy Jeannin for Lugano and Dominic Meier for Bern closed the scoring.
Lugano still miss Petteri Nummelin, so Jamie Pollock played in both game and was unconvincing.

Davos 6-2 Rapperswil

Rapperswil surprinsingly took a quick 2-0 lead with goals by Mikko Eloranta and Kristian Huselius, but Davos tied it in the second with two power play goals by Björn Christen. Rick Nash, on the power play again, had the game winner early in the third, and 30 seconds later Sandro Rizzi gave Davos a confortable leads. In the last minute, Reto Von Arx and Beat Forster both had shorthanded empty netter.

Rapperswil 1-2 Davos OT

This game was much closer. Marco Streit kept Rapperswil in the game, and once again they took the lead, but not until 2 minutes into the third period by Niki Siren. Davos finally solved Streit thanks to a well placed shot by Peter Guggisberg 8 minutes from time, and after Rapperswil's Fabian Stephan hits the crossbar late in regulation, the game went to overtime. Davos finally got the win after 15 minutes when Joe Thornton perfectly set up Nicklas Hagman, left alone in the slot.

ZSC 5-3 Ambrì

Tony Virta gave ZSC the lead after less than 3 minutes, before Hnat Domenichelli tied it and Robert Petrovicky restored ZSC's lead. The first period ended with a brawl after Domenichelli slashed Thierry Paterlini in the head and got a game misconduct. Mattias Seger scored on the ensuing 5 minutes power play.Ambrì 's Michael Liniger and ZSC's Robert Petrovicky exchanged power play goals before the end of the second. Ambrì came close again with Alan Tallarini's first NLA goal, but Petrovicky got the hat trick with an empty net goal. Domenicheli got an automatic two games suspension, and will probably get some more games, so his season his over.

Ambrì 2-4 ZSC

Ambrì's bad luck didn't end there, as Ryan Malone's season is over after he got hit in the face by a puck in practice. With Jean-Guy Trudel already injured and Domenichelli suspended, Ambrì had to play with only three import players, swedish defensemen Oskar Åckeström and Andreas Lilja, and Jeff Toms on offense. Considering that the foreign forward always were a key part of Ambri`s success, the game was surprisingly close.
Michael Liniger again had Ambrì's first goal before Jan Alston tied it with a shorthanded breakaway. Claudio Micheli gave ZSC the lead for good, scoring on the power play after Simon Züger allowed a rebound on a shot by Alston. Thierry Paterlini added the third after 20 seconds in the last period, but Jeff Toms gave Ambrì some hope in the middle of the period before Tony Virta sealed the game with an empty netter.

Zug 3-2 Geneva

Late signing Steve Thornton scored early for Geneva but Corsin Casutt tied it 13 seconds later. Gaëtan Voisard showed all his experience by calmly decking the goalie for a power play goal before an other veteran defenseman, Livio Fazio, also scored with the man advantage. Geneva came back by Ralph Ott just beofre the middle of the game, but goalie Lars Weibel then closed the door as Zug finally beats Geneva at home.

Geneva 2-4 Zug

This time the first half of the game was scoreless before Oleg Petrov scored against his former team in the 28th minutes. Igor Fedulov then tied the game with a power play goal. In the third period, Duri Camichel gave Zug the lead when he scored from close range, before Philippe Bozon showed all his goal scoring skill when he dived to bang in a rebound to tie the game. Ten minutes from time, Zug had a two men advantage which was used by Niko Kapanen to score the game winner. Geneva then failed to tie it again on a five minutes power play after Oleg Petrov crossed checked John Gobbi in the face. Patrick Della Rossa secured Zug's win with an empty net goal.
Oleg Petrov will be suspended for the next game as it was his second game misconduct of the season.

I'll add something about the relegation series tomorrow

Old
03-02-2005, 04:13 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

Quote:
they hired Kristian Huselius to add some scoring
A friend just told me that it wasn't the smartest thing to write...

Well, no pun intended

Last edited by stv11: 03-03-2005 at 01:45 AM.
Old
03-02-2005, 07:38 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Hoping Davos goes up 3 - 0 tomorrow!

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2005, 07:39 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
A friend just told my that it wasn't the smartest thing to write...

Well, no pun intended
lol

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2005, 09:39 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Reto Pavoni

(Geneva signed Steve Thornton from the british league as they already lost Geoff Sanderson to a season ending injury, and Grosek currently suffers from some illness)
Wasn't Steve Thornton signed from Brunico (Val Pusteria), Italian league?

Hey, how old Pavoni is by now?

Old
03-03-2005, 09:45 AM
Albi

Quote:
Wasn't Steve Thornton signed from Brunico (Val Pusteria), Italian league?

Hey, how old Pavoni is by now?
Yep. Thornton has a british passport, but this season he played with ValPusteria Brunico.

Pavoni is 37

Old
03-03-2005, 11:07 AM
swisdan

Petteri Nummelin is fit for the game 3 in Lugano. Look out SCB!

swisdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2005, 01:44 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

(9) Kloten vs (12) Lausanne

Games this season :

Lausanne 1-4 Kloten
Kloten 3-3 Lausanne
Kloten 2-1 Lausanne
Lausanne 2-3 Kloten

Kloten :

Kimmo Rintanen – Rod Brind’Amour – Sven Lindemann
Roger Rieder – Dominic Pittis – André Rufener
Cyril Bühler – Romano Lemm – Patrick Bärtschi
Victor Stancescu – Gianni Ehrensperger – Dario Kostovic

Dave Tanabe – Timo Helbling
Severin Blindenbacher – Michal Hofer
Fabian Guignard – Marco Klöti
Manuel Gossweiler – Philippe Seydoux

Tobias Stephan

Lausanne :

Grégory Chrsiten – Eric Landry – Florian Conz
Mickaël Neiniger – Oliver Kamber – Marko Tuomainen
Christophe Brown – Sacha Weibel – Lovis Schönenberger
Florian Andenmatten – Pascal Schaller – Stefan Gähler

Andy Roach – Patrick Boileau
Beat Heldstab – Michel Kamber
Mathias Holzer – Michael N’Goy
Laurent Emery – Loic Merz

Thomas Berger

(This is my best guess as Lausanne signed many NLB players, and has some injury troubles)

What to expect :

As Kloten was one of the hottest team during the last part of the regular season and Lausanne is on a long winless streak, anything else than an easy Kloten win would be an upset.

My prediction :

Kloten wins the serie 4-0

(10) Fribourg vs (11) Langnau

Games this season :

Langnau 7-1 Fribourg
Fribourg 2-4 Langnau
Langnau 3-3 Fribourg
Fribourg 5-2 Langnau

Fribourg :

Trevor Letowski – Mark Mowers – Julien Sprunger
Valentin Wirz – Gilles Montandon – Jukka Hentunen
Cyril Berthoud – Dan Hodgson – Benny Plüss
Patrick Howald – Bernhard Schümperli – Joël Sassi

Raphaël Berger – Thomas Rhodin
Lukas Gerber – Philippe Marquis
Alain Birbaum – Nicolas Studer
Christian Haldimann – Freddy Bobillier

Gianluca Mona

Langnau :

Mirko Murovic – Jeff Shantz – Daniel Steiner
Richard Park – Loic Burkhalter – Vitaly Lakhmatov
Trevor Meier – Thibault Monnet – Nicholas Dimitrakos
René Baumgartner – Marcel Moser – Cédric Métrailler

Mark Astley – Jamie Heward
Patrick Sutter – Martin Stettler
Valeri Shiriaev – Daniel Aegerter
Joël Fröhlicher

Pauli Jaks

What to expect :

Considering the season, both teams are bad enough to loose this serie. I’ll give the edge to Fribourg who was better at the end while Langnau was on a long loosing streak.

My prediction :

Fribourg wins the serie 4-3

Old
03-03-2005, 02:08 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

What really happend (there's not many highlights of the relegation series, so the summary are shorter) :

Kloten 4-2 Lausanne
Lausanne 1-2 Kloten

The game are close but Kloten still won both. In game 1, Lausanne could take a 2-1 lead in the first period after goals by Oliver Kamber and Beat Heldstad, while Kimmo Rintanen had tied it for Kloten. Fabien Guignard and André Rufener scored 37 seconds apart early in the third to give Kloten the lead and Rod Brind'Amour had an insurance goal 10 minutes from time.
In the second game, Kloten scored twice in the second period by Kimmo Rintanen and Domenic Pittis, and Lubomir Hurtaj scored 45 seconds into the last period, but later injured himself and won't be able to play again this season. All three goals were scored on the power play.

Fribourg 7-5 Langnau
Langnau 5-2 Fribourg

Jukka Hentunen oppened the scoring after 21 seconds, but Langnau then took a 4-1 lead thanks to Nicholas Dimitrakos, Daniel Steiner and Patrick Sutter twice. After Hentunen had his second goal late in the second period, Fribourg scored four goals in a 5 minutes span between the 45th and the 50th minute, by Philippe Marquis, Nicolas Studer, Mark Mowers and Jukka Hentunen. Valeri Shiriaev gave Langnau some hope late in the game, but Mark Mowers had an empty net goal to close the scoring.

In the second game, Fribourg scored early again by Trevor Letowski, and Langnau struck back by Marcel Moser and Richard Park. Dan Hodgson tied it in the middle of the second, but 37 seconds later Valeri Shiriaev had the game winner. Nicholas Dimitrakos and Daniel Steiner later added insurance goals.

Old
03-04-2005, 05:30 AM
helicecopter

Is the Kloten-Lausanne scoresheet correct?

It seems Lausanne was leading 4-0 before losing 8-4...

Old
03-04-2005, 06:24 AM
Albi

Way To Go Ambri'!!!

Old
03-04-2005, 06:47 AM
Strizzi

Quote:
Is the Kloten-Lausanne scoresheet correct?

It seems Lausanne was leading 4-0 before losing 8-4...
Yes, it is correct. But I agree that it looks pretty weird.

Old
03-04-2005, 07:01 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

There's no game Lausanne can't loose

Old
03-06-2005, 08:25 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Some news about games 3 and 4 of the playoffs :

Lugano 0-2 Bern

Replacing Yves Sarault by Jean-Pierre Dumont in the line up paid off. Sébastien Bordeleau's goal in the 5th minute was enough for Bern as Lugano failed to convert many opportunities, hitting the crossbar twice. Christian Dubé later added an empty net goal.

Bern 4-2 Lugano

Bern again opened the scoring early by Jean-Pierre Dumont, but a major penalty against Martin Steinegger allowed Lugano to add two power play goals late in the first period by Sandy Jeannin and Mike Maneluk. In the second period, Bern took advantage of two blunders by David Aebischer to take the lead by André Rötheli and Thomas Ziegler. Lugano outplayed Bern in the third, but once again couldn't solve Marco Bührer and Sébastien Bordeleau sealed it with an empty netter. Bern now hold a 3-1 serie lead.

Davos 6-3 Rapperswil

Rick Nash scored an early power play goal for Davos, but Rapperswil tied the game by Marco Bayer, and then took the lead by Marko Tuulola after 38 seconds in the second period. It took Davos less than 4 minutes to get the lead back as Rapperswil's goalie Marco Streit had the blunder of the year, allowing Björn Christen to tie the game on a shot taken from behind his own goal line, and Joe Thornton scored his first goal of the playoffs. Jozef Mahra and Peter Guggisberg increased Davos' lead before the end of the second period, before Antonio Rizzelo and Joe Thornton exchanged third period goals to close the scoring.

Rapperswil 1-2 Davos OT

Davos completed the sweep with a second away overtime win. Just like in game two, Rapperswil took the lead with a goal by Dale McTavish before Davos tied it late in the first by Niklas Hagman. The game ended after 3'39'' of overtime when Michel Riesen found Rick Nash on a two on one play, who passed the puck back to Riesen, who calmly decked the goalie to end Rapperswil's season.

ZSC 1-2 Ambrì

ZSC played his worst game of the serie so far, suprinsingly conceding two first period goals by Axel Heim and Vjeran Ivankovic. Sven Helfenstein cut Ambrì's lead in half in the 35th minutes, but ZSC failed to tied it, without even getting much scoring opportunities.

Ambrì 1-2 ZSC

All three goals were scored in the first period. Benoit Pont gave Ambrì the lead in the 4th minutes, before Tony Virta converted a 5 on 3 power play, and added the second on the ensuing 5 on 4 advantage in the 16th minute. Ambrì then failed to take advantage of a 5 minutes penalty against Andreas Camenzind, whose crosscheck against Oskar Szczepaniec was an other low point in a surprinsingly dirty serie. ZSC now hold a 3-1 lead and can close the serie on monday at home.

Zug 3-1 Geneva

Zug completely outplayed Geneva in the first period, but had to settle for Niko Kapanen's goal after 2'30''. The scoring was closed in a two and a half minute span of the second period. Brett Hauer, dressed for the first time in the playoffs, converted a power play with a nice slapshot from the blue line in the 33rd minute, before Igor Fedulov had Geneva's goal, only to see Barry Richter restore Zug's two goals lead 45 seconds later after a nice set up by Patrick Fischer. Zug also was the best team in the third period, and only goalie Reto Pavoni prevented Geneva from allowing more goals as he stopped two breakaways.

Geneva 2-3 Zug OT

With Oleg Petrov back in the line up after a one game suspension, Zug's coach Sean Simpson had to once again choose which one of his american defensemen he wanted to scratch. He went with Brett Hauer, and it turned to be the right choice as Barry Richter gave Zug a 2-0 lead in the first five minutes of the game, scoring two power play goals on slapshots from the blueline. Serge Aubin had Geneva's first goal after 10 minutes, and Steve Thornton tied the game on a power play goal in the second period. Both team had good chances to win in the third, but the game went to overtime and Patrick Fischer ended the serie when Reto Pavoni let in his weak shot. A sweep is a surprising result considering that Zug always had trouble dealing with Geneva in the regular season, but the serie really looked like a 1st vs 8th seed as Zug completely outplayed his opponent.

Old
03-08-2005, 02:35 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

And the last games of the quarter final, semi-final to start on saturday

Lugano 4-5 Bern OT

After going 19-2-1 at home in the regular season, Lugano went 0-3 in the playoffs, becoming the first top seed ever to loose in the first round. Bern scored first late in the first period on a 3 on 2 break by Mark Reichert, but Sandy Jeannin could tied it 1 minute later. Lugano was clearly the best team at the start of the second period, and 6 minutes were enough for Petteri Nummelin to score on one of his trademark wrist shot in the top corner, and for Martin Gelinas to get his first point of the playoffs when he assisted on Paul DiPietro's goal. Lugano got a chance to add to his lead when Bern got a penalty, but Lugano's goalie Ronnie Rüeger, starting his first game of the playoffs after David Aebischer played poorly in game 4, misshandled the puck behind his own net, giving an easy goal to Daniel Brière. 30 seconds later, Olivier Keller could still convert the power play to give Lugano a 4-2 lead. Bern came back before the end of the second period when Christian Dubé put the puck in twice on power plays. Nothing happend in the third period as Lugano seemed unconfident and Bern concentrated on playing defense. The game went to overtime and Lugano had the best opportunities, but after 6 minutes, Daniel Brière found Philippe Furrer at the blue line, whose shot beat Ronnie Rüeger and ended the serie.

ZSC 6-2 Ambrì

The other game wasn't that close, as ZSC took an early 2-0 lead by Jan Alston and Robert Petrovicky, and Jan Alston again had the third before the end of the first period. In the second period, Robert Petrovicky scored on a power play before Jan Alston completed his hattrick on a 5 on 3 advantage. Facing the taks of scoring five times in twenty minutes, Ambrì tried his best and Axel Heim and Vjeran Ivankovic could beat Ari Sulander. Coach Serge Pelletier then tried to pull his goalie with more than 3 minutes left in the game, only to see Tony Virta score the last goal of the serie.

Relegation series :

Kloten 8-4 Lausanne
Lausanne 3-2 Kloten OT
Kloten 6-1 Lausanne
(Kloten wins the serie 4-1)

Lausanne showed why they were last in the league during game 3. Riding a 4-0 lead after 15 minutes on goals by Patrick Boileau, Andy Roach, Lovis Schönenberger and Florian Andenmatten, they let Kloten back into the game, allowing Timo Helbling to score just after the fourth goal. In a three minutes span of the second period, between the 23rd and the 26th minute, Kimmo Rintanen, Dave Tanabe and André Rufener could tie the game. Kloten then had to wait until 5 minutes in the third period to score the game winner by Domenico Pittis, before adding three late goals by Kimmo Rintanen twice and Romano Lemm.
Facing a must win game, Lausanne outplayed Kloten and had to wait 45 minutes before taking a deserved 2-0 lead thanks to Andy Roach and Patrick Boileau, but once again allowed Kloten to tie the game in a short span, by Victor Stancescu and Severin Blindenbacher. But this time Lausanne had the last word in overtime, where 80 seconds were enough for Gregory Christen to outrace the entire Kloten defense and give his team some hope.
But Kloten didn't need more than 5 games to secure its place in the top league, as they outplayed their opponents from the start, ending the first period with a 2-0 lead thanks to Kimmo Rintanen and Roger Rieder. Florian Conz had Lausanne's goal early in the second, but Romano Lemm immediately restored Kloten's two goals lead, and Rod Brind'Amour and Patrick Bärtschi twice sealed the deal.

Fribourg 0-2 Langnau
Langnau 3-2 Fribourg
Fribourg 8-1 Langnau

(Langnau leads the serie 3-2)

Langnau took an important step toward securing a top league spot with the only away win of the serie so far. Two goals by Nicholas Dimitrakos and Daniel Steiner were enough as Pauli Jaks got his first shutout of the season.
In the fourth game, they looked on their way to an easy win after Daniel Steiner and Richard Park twice gave Langnau a 3-0 lead just after the middle of the game. But it took Fribourg five minutes to cut the deficit to one goal by Mark Mowers and Thomas Rhodin, setting up an exciting third period where Langnau could still get the win.
The fifth game wasn't that close as Fribourg scored by Patrick Howald and Rolf Hildebrand in the first two minutes of the game, before Howald again and Trevor Letowski ended Langnau's hope in the first period. Letowski again, Bernhard Schümperli, Mark Mowers and Jukka Hentunen made the score 8-0 before Loic Burkhalter ended Gianluca Mona's shutout bid. Langnau can end the serie Thursday at home, but will have a hard time doing so as after loosing Patrick Sutter in game 2, Jamie Heward and Valeri Shiriaev also went down to injuries, thus depriving them of half of their defensive top 6.

Old
03-08-2005, 03:10 PM
thrashers28

Thanks for all the playoff updates stv11!

Wow, that was shocking to see Lugano lose big-time in the series with Bern.

Who do you all predict will win the series between Davos and Bern? I think ZSC will take its series with Zug, no problem.

thrashers28 is offline   Reply With Quote