Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

[AUT/SUI] the official NLA/NLB/austrian bundesliga thread

Old
03-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Strizzi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashers28
Who do you all predict will win the series between Davos and Bern?
That's really hard to predict. Before the playoffs, everyone would have said that Davos wins such a series. But now, Bern has built up a huge momentum, and thus they could do a lot of damage. It really depends on whether Davos can break Bern's momentum early in the series. Offensively, Davos should be really better, but Bern plays a very solid defense right now with every single player fighting for every puck.

Strizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2005, 03:20 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

I can't see Davos loosing that serie. They will deal with Bern's dirty stuff better than Lugano, and won all four regular season games against Bern. Davos' main problem could be Joe Thornton, as there's no doubt Bern will provoke him from the start and one can wonder if he can keep his head cold.

Maybe taking Beat Equilino out of retirement could be a good idea

As for the ZSC-Zug serie, I found Zug impressive in the first round. They look like the team nobody talks about but who still get the job done. An upset is not as unlikely as most people think.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2005, 07:24 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11
Lugano 4-5 Bern OT

After going 19-2-1 at home in the regular season, Lugano went 0-3 in the playoffs, becoming the first top seed ever to loose in the first round.
:lol

****** Lugano, i had planned to go and watch live the Lugano-Davos semifinal..

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2005, 07:37 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter

Damn...I had exactly the same plan...

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Strizzi

Quote:

They wouldn't have met before the final.

Old
03-09-2005, 12:19 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

I think Davos will be fine. I sometimes think people make too big a deal about Thornton losing his cool too easily.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2005, 03:54 AM
Strizzi

Quote:
I can't see Davos loosing that serie. They will deal with Bern's dirty stuff better than Lugano, and won all four regular season games against Bern. Davos' main problem could be Joe Thornton, as there's no doubt Bern will provoke him from the start and one can wonder if he can keep his head cold.
Not many people could see Lugano losing their series against Bern either. Bern is really unpredictable right now: they could ride their hot streak for some more time and do a lot of damage, or lose their momentum and fail miserably. To me, it's really hard to predict.

As for the other series, I agree that Zug should not be written off.

Old
03-10-2005, 05:47 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strizzi
They wouldn't have met before the final.
Ah, i thought they would... i am still use to think about a set tree and not the best advancing against the worst, so when reading about the eventuality of a Davos-Bern match up i thought it was the winner of Bern-Lugano to face Davos.. my bad.

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Strizzi

Quote:
Ah, i thought they would... i am still use to think about a set tree and not the best advancing against the worst, so when reading about the eventuality of a Davos-Bern match up i thought it was the winner of Bern-Lugano to face Davos.. my bad.
No worries, you're not the first one to get confused by this

Old
03-12-2005, 06:59 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Some news about the relegation series before the playoffs go on :

Langnau 5-2 Fribourg

After an 8-1 win, Fribourg was hoping to be able to tie the serie and get a seventh game at home, but their hopes quickly faded. Langnau scored twice in the first 79 seconds by Stéphane Roy and Daniel Steiner, and Valeri Shiriaev added a third just after the four minutes mark and Fribourg never seemed able to come back. Steiner got his second goal of the game before the end of the first period, before Mark Mowers had one for Fribourg in the first minute of the second period. Langnau could keep that 3 goal lead until there was five minutes left in the game and Thomas Rhodin scored, but it was too late and Richard Park had Langnau's last goal late in the game. Fribourg will now play against Lausanne, and the looser of that serie will face the winner of the NLB playoffs to find out who will play in the NLA next season.

Old
03-12-2005, 09:15 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

A little preview for the semi-finals. First game tonight !

(2) Davos vs (8) Bern

Games this season :

Davos 2-1 Bern
Bern 2-4 Davos
Davos 6-0 Bern
Bern 0-2 Davos

Davos :

Rick Nash – Reto Von Arx – Michel Riesen
Joe Thornton – Jozef Mahra – Nicklas Hagman
Björn Christen – Sandro Rizzi – Peter Guggisberg
Laurent Müller – Fabian Sutter – Andres Ambühl

Jan Von Arx – Marc Gianola
Michel Kress – Beat Forster
Florian Blatter – Benny Winkler
Andreas Häller – Arne Ramholt

Jonas Hiller

(The same line up as in the quarter final. Not surprising considering that everything went fine)

Bern :

Ivo Rüthemann – Sébastien Bordeleau – Christian Dubé
Jean-Pierre Dumont – Daniel Brière – Thomas Ziegler
Rolf Schrepfer – André Rötheli – Mark Reichert
Marc Käser – Luca Cereda – Caryl Neuenschwander

Martin Steinegger – Beat Gerber
Henrik Tallinder – Philippe Furrer
Rolf Ziegler – Dominic Meier
Marc Leuenberger – David Jobin

Marco Bührer

(Thomas Ziegler was moved back to forward to make room for Tallinder and Yves Sarault is now an healthy scratch)

What to expect :

Davos had no trouble dealing with Bern during the regular season, but Bern is a playoffs team. Expect them to go after Joe Thornton from the start, hoping to draw some penalties. Still, Davos will handle Bern’s style better than Lugano and Marco Bührer will have to be at his best for an upset to happen.

My prediction (Keep in mind that I was wrong for only 5 out of 6 series during the first round ) :

Davos wins the serie 4-2

(3) ZSC vs (4) Zug

Games this season :

Zug 4-1 ZSC
ZSC 1-2 Zug
Zug 3-6 ZSC
ZSC 1-2 Zug

ZSC :

Jan Alston – Randy Robitaille – Robert Petrovicky
Thierry Paterlini – Reto Stirnimann – Tony Virta
Claudio Micheli – Michel Zeiter – Reto Raffainer
Kim Lindemann – Andreas Camenzind – Sven Helfenstein
Pascal Tiegermann

Mark Streit – Martin Kout
Mattias Seger – Andri Stoffel
Tim Ramholt – Edgar Salis
Martin Höhener

Ari Sulander

(No change compared to the first round)

Zug :

Mike Fisher – Niko Kapanen – Oleg Petrov
Patrick Fischer – Duri Camichel – Patrick Della Rossa
Fabian Schnyder – Patrick Oppliger – Frédéric Rothen
Cosrin Casutt – Gian Marco Crameri – Daniel Giger
Beat Schuler

Barry Richter – Pascal Müller
Livio Fazio – René Back
Gaëtan Voisard – Raphaël Diaz
Silvan Anthamatten

Lars Weibel

(Some changes on offense. Mike Fisher now play on the first line, while the Fischer – Della Rossa duo is reunited again. Rothen dropped to the third line)

What to expect :

Certainly a closer serie than most think. Zug was impressive late in the regular season and the first round as well, and won three out of four regular season games against ZSC. On the other hand, ZSC didn’t have much trouble beating Ambrì, apart from a surprising home loss. Both team decided to put their three best forwards on the same line, and have a great second line as well, but ZSC’s line up is deeper, especially on defense. Both team have a goaltender with a lot of playoffs experience and it’s unlikely either one of them will be a weakness.

My prediction :

I’ll go with upset and take Zug, 4-3

Old
03-12-2005, 09:17 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Go Davos!!

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2005, 02:50 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

Here's my preview of the relegation serie. The looser will play the winner of the NLB playoffs for the last NLA spot for next season. The serie started tonight.

(10) Fribourg vs (12) Lausanne

Games this season :

Fribourg 2-4 Lausanne
Lausanne 5-3 Fribourg
Fribourg 3-3 Lausanne
Lausanne 3-4 Fribourg (Game stopped after the second period due to poor ice quality, awarded 5-0 to Fribourg)

Fribourg :

Julien Sprunger – Jeff Shantz – Trevor Letowski
Jukka Hentunen – Gilles Montandon – Benny Plüss
Bernhard Schümperli – Geoffrey Vauclair – Patrick Howald
Cyril Berthoud – Rolf Hildebrand – Joël Sassi

Raphaël Berger – Thomas Rhodin
Lukas Gerber – Philippe Marquis
Nicolas Studer – Alain Birbaum
Frédy Bobillier – Christian Haldimann

Gianluca Mona

(Mark Mowers went back to North America, and as the league allows teams in the relegation series to replace import players, Fribourg hired Jeff Shantz from Langnau)

Lausanne :

Lubomir Hurtaj – Eric Landry – Florian Conz
Mickaël Neininger – Oliver Kamber – Marko Tuomainen
Grégory Christen – Sascha Weibel – Lovis Schönenberger
Pascal Schaller – Florian Andenmatten – Stefan Gähler

Beat Heldstab – Andy Roach
Michel Kamber – Mattias Holzer
Patrick Meichtry – Michaël N’Goy
Loic Merz – Alain Reist

Thomas Berger

(Lausanne never had a regular line up against Kloten, so this is my best guess)

What to expect :

As Basel clearly dominated the NLB and has a roster that could scare most bottom NLA teams, nobody want to face them in the serie deciding the last NLA spot. Lausanne was very unlucky regarding injuries against Kloten, but they now can dress a complete line up. On the other hand, Fribourg lost two important players in Valentin Wirz and Mark Mowers. Added to the facts that Lausanne was dead last during the longest part of the season and has known for a long time that they had to be ready for that serie, and that Fribourg is the only team against whom they regulary had success, Lausanne now has a great opportunity to save its place in the top league.

My prediction :

Lausanne wins the serie 4-2

Old
03-16-2005, 02:42 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

Some news about the first games of the semi-finals :

Davos 2-1 Bern

Davos struck first after 6 minutes, when Niklas Hagman faked the pass to Joe Thornton on a 2 on 1 break before sending the puck into the top corner. Five minutes later, Dominic Meier tied the game with a slapshot from the blue line, scoring on such a play for the third time of the playoffs. Bern then dominated the end of the first period, but Davos had the best scoring opportunity when Jan Von Arx hits the crossbar. The second period wasn't much interesting, as both team mostly played defensive minded hockey. The third started better with a great chance for Daniel Brière, but it was Davos who took the lead in the 8th minute when Joe Thornton fed Florian Blatter at the blue line, whose one timer was deflected by Niklas Hagman for the decisive goal. There wasn't much hockey played after that, as the end of the game was more about trying to injure than to actually play, resulting in a fight between Thomas Ziegler and Beat Forster, some trash talk between Reto Von Arx and Ivo Rüthemann, yelling at each other from their respective penalty bench, and Jean-Pierre Dumont missing the end of the game after being high sticked in the face. Davos finally escaped with the win, as Bern failed to produce any real chance to tie the game.

Bern 5-4 Davos

Davos started stronger and completly outplayed Bern in the first period. In the 14th minute, Jozef Mahra perfectly drew goalie Marco Bührer out of position with a fake shot, before setting up Joe Thornton who missed what should have been his easiest goal of the season. Four minutes later, Davos scored on a similar play with Andres Ambühl faking the shot before passing to Björn Christen for a well deserved 1-0 lead. The second period started the way the first ended, with Björn Christen scoring another power play goal, one timing a pass from Joe Thornton after less than two minutes, but two minutes later, it was Bern who found themself with the man advantage, and made the best of it as after failing to produce anything during the first 1'50'', Dominic Meier's dump in from the red line found his way between Jonas Hiller's legs to put Bern back into the game. It took Davos less than one minute to answer, when Joe Thornton made up for his early miss, showing incredible balance and leg strength while carrying defenseman Rolf Ziegler on his back before setting up Rick Nash for the 3-1 lead. Davos then looked in control, but Bern again made the best of one of its lone scoring chance in the 33rd minutes, when Christian Dubé sent a loose puck into the top corner. Starting the third period trailing by one goal without really being in the game, Bern put a better effort but again failed to impress. When Sandro Rizzi intercepted a pass in the neutral zone before skating past the blue line and blasting the puck past Marco Bührer with 12 minutes to play, the game seemed over, but less than one minute later, Davos' goalie Jonas Hiller lacked agressiveness in his goal crease, allowing Henrik Tallinder to score his first goal for Bern on a loose puck. After that, it seemed that nothing could go wrong for Bern. Ivo Rüthemann tied the game with five minutes to go when Hiller allowed a rebound on Philippe Furrer's shot from the blue line, and with 3 minutes to play, Daniel Brière calmly kept the puck, drawing the entire Davos defence, before finding Jean-Pierre Dumont in the slot, who one timed it for the game winning goal. Davos looked so shocked that they never had a chance to tie it again, even failing to pull the goalie as they couldn't carry the puck past the red line. Bern clearly were lucky, as they only played in the last 10 minutes of a game they had no business trailing by only one goal, considering Thornton's early miss and Meier's fluke goal.

ZSC 1-3 Zug

There weren't many scoring opportunities in the first period before Patrick Fischer opened the scoring after 18 minutes when his shot taken from a tight angle hits goalie Ari Sulander's pad on his way to the net. ZSC then got two players sent in the penalty box, allowing Zug to start the second period with a two men advantage. Defenseman Gaëtan Voisard took advantage of it, giving Zug a 2-0 lead after 42 seconds. Zug then perfectly controled the game through the second period, as even ZSC's Jan Alston - Randy Robitaille - Robert Petrovicky top line failed to get any scoring opportunity. The last period started differently, as after less than 3 minutes, Mark Streit's perfect pass sent veteran Michel Zeiter on a breakaway where he found to top corner, cutting Zug's lead in half. Unfortunately for ZSC, less than one minute later, Livio Fazio restored Zug's two goals lead when Ari Sulander was unable to save his weak shot from the blue line. That proved to be the insurance for Zug, as ZSC didn't play up to its potential and never threatend again.

Zug 1-4 ZSC

Like in the first game, tight defensive play prevented the offenses to show anything, but it was ZSC's more talented defense who made the difference. After Pascal Tiegermann hits the post early, Mattias Seger scored in the 10th minute when he one timed a poor clearing attempt, and 20 year old Andri Stoffel had his 2nd and 3rd goals of the season, both time taking advantage of nice passes by Randy Robitaille, to give ZSC a 3-0 lead after 30 minutes. They then perfectly controlled the game, preventing Zug from creating much scoring chances by making them skate after the puck the entire night (Zug could only win 7 faceoffs during the game). Ironically, the only Zug player to find the net was a former ZSC defenseman, as René Back sent a shot in the top corner after Patrick Oppliger could finally carry the puck deep in the offensive zone, but with less than 5 minutes to go, it was too late for any comeback hope, and Jan Alston closed the scoring with a late power play goal.

Last edited by stv11: 03-16-2005 at 03:21 PM.
Old
03-16-2005, 03:00 PM
Strizzi

Quote:
Bern 5-4 Davos

Davos started stronger and completly outplayed Bern in the first period. In the 14th minute, Jozef Mahra perfectly drew goalie Marco Bührer out of position with a fake shot, before setting up Joe Thornton who missed what should have been his easiest goal of the season. Four minutes later, Davos scored on a similar play with Andres Ambühl faking the shot before passing to Björn Christen for a well deserved 1-0 lead. The second period started the way the first ended, with Björn Christen scoring another power play goal, one timing a pass from Joe Thornton after less than two minutes, but two minutes later, it was Bern who found themself with the man advantage, and made the best of it as after failing to produce anything during the first 1'50'', Dominic Meier's dump in from the red line found his between Jonas Hiller's legs to put Bern back into the game. It took Davos less than one minute to answer, when Joe Thornton made up for his early miss, showing incredible balance and leg strength while carrying defenseman Rolf Ziegler on his back before setting up Rick Nash for the 3-1 lead. Davos then looked in control, but Bern again made the best of one of its lone scoring chance in the 33rd minutes, when Christian Dubé sent a loose puck into the top corner. Starting the third period trailing by one goal without really being in the game, Bern put a better effort but again failed to impress. When Sandro Rizzi intercepted a pass in the neutral zone before skating past the blue line and blasting the puck past Marco Bührer with 12 minutes to play, the game seemed over, but less than one minute later, Davos' goalie Jonas Hiller lacked agressiveness in his goal crease, allowing Henrik Tallinder to score his first goal for Bern on a loose puck. After that, it seemed that nothing could go wrong for Bern. Ivo Rüthemann tied the game with five minutes to go when Hiller allowed a rebound on Philippe Furrer's shot from the blue line, and with 3 minutes to play, Daniel Brière calmly kept the puck, drawing the entire Davos defence, before finding Jean-Pierre Dumont in the slot, who one timed it for the game winning goal. Davos looked so shocked that they never had a chance to tie it again, even failing to pull the goalie as they couldn't carry the puck past the red line. Bern clearly were lucky, as they only played in the last 10 minutes of a game they had no business trailing by only one goal, considering Thornton's early miss and Meier's fluke goal.
Yesterday, you could see two things: (1) Bern knows how to win in the playoffs and (2) they have nothing to lose, because they were already written off. Davos played much better throughout the whole game, but Bern had the better nerves. Especially the goalies were that way: while Bührer had at least one goal that should have been possible to catch as well, he was still clearly better than Hiller. Hiller has never been to the playoffs, and one could see that. Furthermore, Davos wasted too many easy chances. One example for that is when Thornton missed that huge sitter you mention. Davos just has to make sure they stay calm and don't lose their confidence, and then they should still win this series though. They have more talent in their team.

Old
03-16-2005, 03:20 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

I couldn't agree more about Bührer. I ranked him behind Hiller, Rüeger and even Streit during the regular season, but so far he's the best goalie of the playoffs.

Still, I can't believe Davos lost this one after being that much in control.

Old
03-20-2005, 05:49 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Some news about game 3 and 4. Davos and ZSC both lead their serie 3-1 and it looks like we're heading for a rematch of the 2002 final.

Davos 2-1 Bern

The game started quickly, as Christian Dubé hits the post for Bern after 20 seconds, and after 30 seconds Rick Nash scored on his own rebound to give Davos a 1-0 lead. The rest of the first period was quite boring as both teams played defensive hockey, although Davos had to good scoring chances in the middle of the period. Davos started the second period stronger, and after having some good opportunities, could score the second after 28 minutes when Reto Von Arx brillantly came down the right wing at full speed before cutting in front of the net and putting the puck in. Four minutes later, Bern took advantage of a power play to score by Marc Reichert to cut Davos' lead in half. That goal almost was the last interesting thing to happen in the game, as the end of the second period of the entire third was defensive minded hockey played with no intensity.

Bern 1-2 Davos

Not many scoring chances in a first period that mostly was about battle in the corners, the only highlight worthy play coming in the second minute when referee Reto Bertolotti took a puck in the face and had to be substituted by Roland Stalder. Bern started the second period stronger, and goalie Jonas Hiller had to stay at his best to keep the game scoreless, making nice saves against Rolf Schrepfer and Henrik Tallinder. Finally, Jean-Pierre Dumont took advantage of a questionnable penalty against Michel Riesen to give Bern the lead, sending a nice wrist shot into the top corner. Bern then had the best opportunities when Rolf Schrepfer took a 2 minutes penalty during which Sébastien Bordeleau missed a shorthanded breakaway just before Schrepfer himself had a breakaway at the end of the penalty, but Jonas Hiller twice could make the save. 49 seconds before the end of the period, Davos tied it when Jozef Mahra's shot hits the end board and came back on Joe Thornton in front of the net, who sent the puck between Marco Bührer's legs. Then, with 11 seconds to play, Bührer went out of the net to play a loose puck chased by Thornton, who slashed Bern's goalie in the leg. The referee took the severe decision to give him a major and a game misconduct, for which he'll get an automatic two games suspension as it is his third of the season. Starting the last period with a five minutes power play, Bern lacked imagination and never threaten, and after killing the penalty, Davos took the game in hand and scored the game winner after 12 minutes, when Niklas Hagman passed to Michel Riesen on a two on two play. Riesen drew both defensemen before passing back to Hagman who scored on a nice wrist shot. Bern then tried to put some pressure, but failed to get many chances against Davos' well organized defense.

Old
03-20-2005, 06:51 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

ZSC 4-1 Zug

Zug kill themself by taking too many penalties in that one. Patrick Oppliger was the first to be sent to the bench after 5 minutes, and it took only 21 seconds for Thierry Paterlini to convert the power play after a nice pass from Robert Petrovicky. Michel Zeiter added the second after 12 minutes and ZSC never looked back again. Zug never had a chance in a second period in which they spent half the time killing penalties. Randy Robitaille scored the third in the 27th minutes with Patrick Oppliger again sitting in the box, and Andreas Camenzing had the fourth with 3 minutes to go, again on the power play. ZSC controlled the game early in the third, but Zug could finally score after 51 minutes when Patrick Della Rossa faked the pass on a two on one before sending a well placed shot in the net, ironically with a Zug player serving a two minutes penalty. Zug then had a some good chances, but it was too late and ZSC took advantage of too late power play to calmly control the end of the game.

Zug 2-3 ZSC OT

ZSC was lucky in that one. Zug spent most of the first period in the offensive zone but failed to score, even allowing some dangerous break. The second period started the same way, and only brillant goaltending by Ari Sulander prevented ZSC from falling behind. The first goal finally came in the 35th minute, but it was ZSC who took the lead on their second shot of the period, when playoff top scorer Jan Alston converted a perfect pass from Randy Robitaille. Zug finally could solve Sulander after three minutes in the third period while playing on the power play, when Niko Kapanen outworked two ZSC players along the board before setting up Mike Fisher in the slot, whose one timer found his way to the top corner. Six minutes later, 20 year old Fabian Schnyder gave his team a well deserved lead when he dived to send the puck past Sulander. It took ZSC only three minutes to tie it, as Andreas Camenzing won an offensive zone face off to set up one of Mark Streit's trademark shot from the blueline. Both teams then had good chances to win it, but the game went to overtime. Zug started stronger, but after less than four minutes, a questionable call against Duri Camichel led to a ZSC power play, and 11 seconds later Thierry Paterlini could end the game.

Old
03-21-2005, 03:30 AM
aforc3

Send a message via ICQ to aforc3 Send a message via AIM to aforc3 Send a message via MSN to aforc3 Send a message via Yahoo to aforc3 Send a message via Skype™ to aforc3
Joe 's he's missing one game right ??

aforc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2005, 05:06 AM
Strizzi

The interesting thing to note in the Bern-Davos game is that after Thornton was sent off, they actually played better than in the 2nd period. They really got together afterwards.

Old
03-25-2005, 07:31 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

The semi-finales are completed ! Final Davos-ZSC, starting on monday.

Davos 0-2 Bern

Davos' coach Arno Del Curto had to change his line to adapt to Joe Thornton's suspension. He strangely decided to replace him by Michel Riesen, and to replace Riesen by Andres Ambühl on the first line. As Ambühl had a bad game, the chemistry wasn't there and only some individual actions by Nash could create some scoring opportunities. Surpisingly, as the Guggisberg-Rizzi-Christen third line didn't play a great game either, Thornton's usual line was the most dangerous for Davos, mainly thanks to Niklas Hagman.
The game started slowly, but on a counter attack in the 6th minute, Martin Steinegger found André Rötheli who gave Bern the lead. Forty seconds later, Rick Nash took a two minutes penalty, and after an ineffective Bern power play, he got a breakaway when stepping back on the ice, but failed to deke Marco Bührer. Davos then had a power play to end the first period, but again couldn't solve Bührer as Thornton's playmaking was obviously missing with the man advantage.
Davos completly dominated the second period. After Jean-Pierre Dumont had an early chance for Bern, Nash outskate Bern's defense but failed to score, then Mahra, Hagman and Nash each had a scoring chance during a 15 seconds span when Davos had a 6 on 5 power play because of a delayed penalty. Nash again had the next opportunity when he beat Dominic Meier on a one on one play, but saw his shot once again be saved by Marco Bührer.
Nothing interesting happend during the first half of the third period as Bern didn't take any risk, putting all five players in the neutral zone and dumping every Davos turnover back in the corner. After using its time out with 10 minutes to go, Davos put more pressure and had two great chances, first with Nash and Von Arx, then with Nash again, after Hagman's move before setting him up made Daniel Brière look like a rookie. The last two chances were for Bern, and after Rolf Schrepfer missed the net, Christian Dubé took advantage of a turnover by Davos to beat Jonas Hiller in the last minute.

Bern 1-4 Davos

With Joe Thornton back in the lineup, Arno Del Curto decided to change its lines again. He kept the Reto Von Arx - Andres Ambühl combination, despite its ineffectiveness in the previous game, paired Michel Riesen with Jozef Mahra, and dressed an all NHL line with Rick Nash, Joe Thornton and Niklas Hagman. Those weren't as effective as Davos' usual lines, and as a result this game was the opposite of the last one, when Davos was better but luck was on Bern's side. This time Bern was the best team on the ice, but couldn't convert their chances.
The game started with strong pressure from Bern, and Sébastien Bordeleau had the first chance after 30 seconds. Ten minutes later, Daniel Brière nearly opened the scoring, but his well placed wrist shot hits the crossbar. Seconds later, Andrea Häller had to seat on the penalty bench, but after a bad play by Brière at the blue line, Benny Winkler could send Niklas Hagman on a breakaway, and Davos scored on its first true chance. The first period ended on that 1-0 score.
The second period started well for Davos. Joe Thornton weakly cleared a puck from the defensive zone that should have went directly to Bern's defensemen, but Dominic Meier made a Darius Kasparaitis like play, going out of position to check Niklas Hagman, allowing Benny Winkler and Rick Nash to go two on one against Rolf Ziegler. Nash converted Winkler's pass to give Davos a two goals lead. It took Bern less than two minutes to come back, when Jonas Hiller saved Sébastien Bordeleau's shot, but the rebound hit defenseman Beat Forster and ended into the net. Bern then applied a strong pressure to try to tie the game, with Daniel Brière getting the best chance, but great goaltending by Hiller allowed Davos to hold on its lead.
The thrid period started the way the second ended, with strong pressure from Bern. Rolf Schrepfer and Daniel Brière had the best opportunities, but it was Davos who found the net in the 49th minute, when Andres Ambühl deflected Andrea Häller's shot from the blue line right between Marco Bührer's legs. Bern never seemed able to rebound from that goal, and never threatend again. Joe Thornton then closed the scoring with a late empty netter.

Last edited by stv11: 03-25-2005 at 07:37 AM.
Old
03-25-2005, 08:03 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

ZSC 4-2 Zug

ZSC had a perfect start as it took a little more than one minute to Tony Virta to skate down the left wing and send a slapshot past Lars Weibel. Zug had a great opportunity 30 seconds later with a two minutes two men advantage, but they failed to convert it, Ari Sulander making an incredible save on Duri Camichel. Zug dominated the rest of the first period, with Patrick Della Rossa getting the best chance with a partial breakaway, but it was Andreas Camenzind who give ZSC a two goal lead with a power play goal in the last minute.
Zug had more luck in the second period. After 8 unproductive minutes from both side, Ari Sulander couldn't control Niko Kapanen's weak shot and Gian Marco Crameri scored on the rebound. Then, with only two seconds to play, Mike Fisher went down the left wing and sent a perfect wrist shot into the top corner to tie the game.
The third period started perfectly for ZSC, as it took them only 29 seconds to regain the lead. Reto Stirnimann steal a puck in his own defensive zone a raced down the ice before setting up Tony Virta who beats Lars Weibel with a wrist shot in the top corner. Facing the task to score to avoid an early end to its season, Zug dominated the rest of the game, Mike Fisher hitting the post twice, but with three minutes to play, former ZSC defenseman René Back fouled Sven Helfenstein on a breakaway, and Jan Alston converted the ensuing penalty shot to secure the win.

Old
03-25-2005, 12:28 PM
Strizzi

Quote:
Seconds later, Andrea Häller had to seat on the penalty bench, but after a bad play by Brière at the blue line, Benny Winkler could send Niklas Hagman on a breakaway, and Davos scored on its first true chance.
Actually, I think it was more Bordeleau's fault than Brière's. Bordeleau should have covered the blue line when his partner on the point, Brière, was in the corner and being pressured, but instead he went forward. Has Bordeleau kept his position, Brière's "pass" (which was just merely an emergency play as he tried not to give it to his direct opponent) wouldn't have had such an impact.

I just wanted to point this out as I think that Brière was clearly the best player for Bern yesterday, and this scene didn't change this impression.

On another note, many thanks again for all these great recaps!

Old
03-25-2005, 12:33 PM
Strizzi

Any predictions for the final?

Both in terms of personal preference (which is as clear as it gets in this pairing) and quality of the teams, Davos should win it IMO. There are just two factors that worry me: First, ZSC had more rest, and towards the final this counts (some players are hurt and need time to recover). And second, ZSC has a much better power play. Davos lacks a puck-moving defender who could QB the power play, and therefore their power play sucks (same for Bern btw., as one could see again yesterday). The ZSC is much better in that department because of Streit and Seger.

Still, I predict a 3-1 win for Davos.

Old
03-25-2005, 01:36 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strizzi
Actually, I think it was more Bordeleau's fault than Brière's. Bordeleau should have covered the blue line when his partner on the point, Brière, was in the corner and being pressured, but instead he went forward. Has Bordeleau kept his position, Brière's "pass" (which was just merely an emergency play as he tried not to give it to his direct opponent) wouldn't have had such an impact.

I just wanted to point this out as I think that Brière was clearly the best player for Bern yesterday, and this scene didn't change this impression.

On another note, many thanks again for all these great recaps!
You're right regarding Bordeleau. It's a direct consequence of Bern playing five forwards on its power play. I also agree that Brière was Bern's best player.

An other detail regarding the same : It was Arne Ramholt and not Andrea Häller sitting in the penalty box.