Old
03-25-2005, 01:45 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strizzi
Any predictions for the final?

Both in terms of personal preference (which is as clear as it gets in this pairing) and quality of the teams, Davos should win it IMO. There are just two factors that worry me: First, ZSC had more rest, and towards the final this counts (some players are hurt and need time to recover). And second, ZSC has a much better power play. Davos lacks a puck-moving defender who could QB the power play, and therefore their power play sucks (same for Bern btw., as one could see again yesterday). The ZSC is much better in that department because of Streit and Seger.

Still, I predict a 3-1 win for Davos.
It must suck to be a Davos fan in Zurich right now

You're right regarding the power play. Davos had much troubles with the man advantage lately, although it could also be a direct consequence of Thornton's suspension regarding tuesday's game, and to his poor play regarding thursday's, but lacking a true number one defenseman is nothing new for Davos (their last one was Nummelin during the 1999-2000 season), and they still get to the final three times in the last four seasons.

Another advantage for ZSC could be Sulander's playoffs experience.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2005, 04:57 PM
Strizzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11
It must suck to be a Davos fan in Zurich right now
The only thing that really sucks is that crappy "Stadiönli" the ZSC plays in right now. It so small that it will be almost impossible to get tickets for the matches... :mad:

Strizzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2005, 07:14 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

It's not worth the ticket price anyway. But don't worry, it looks like you will see many playoffs games in Zürich starting next year.

Old
03-26-2005, 01:20 AM
Strizzi

Quote:
It's not worth the ticket price anyway.
Do you mean the games or the arena?
Quote:
But don't worry, it looks like you will see many playoffs games in Zürich starting next year.
Yep, and I'll mostly be rooting for the away team

Old
03-26-2005, 05:02 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Quote:
Do you mean the games or the arena?
The game. If I was a Davos fan in Zürich, I'd rather pay a normal ticket price and drive to Davos.

Old
03-27-2005, 08:38 AM
thrashers28

ZSC-Davos Final

I have to go with ZSC, I predict the series will go the full 7 games.

A further prediction, Joe Thornton will get another match penalty and miss another 2 games -- sorry guys, but I'm not a Joe Thornton fan!

Any word yet if any of the lockout NHLers will be back with their same teams in the Swiss League next season? I remember reading Mike Fisher signed to play again with Zug if the lockout continues.

thrashers28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2005, 11:20 AM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Rick Nash has said in the local paper here in Columbus that he'll be playing for Davos again if the lockout goes into next season.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2005, 05:17 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Final preview ! First game today, following games to be played on thursday, saturday and monday.

(2) Davos vs (3) ZSC

Games this season :

ZSC 5-4 Davos
Davos 2-3 ZSC
ZSC 3-1 Davos
Davos 4-0 ZSC

Davos :

Rick Nash – Reto Von Arx – Michel Riesen
Joe Thornton – Jozef Mahra – Nicklas Hagman
Björn Christen – Sandro Rizzi – Peter Guggisberg
Laurent Müller – Fabian Sutter – Andres Ambühl

Jan Von Arx – Marc Gianola
Michel Kress – Beat Forster
Florian Blatter – Benny Winkler
Andreas Häller – Arne Ramholt

Jonas Hiller

(Maybe coach Arno Del Curto will try some new trick, as he did in the last game against Bern)

ZSC :

Jan Alston – Randy Robitaille – Robert Petrovicky
Thierry Paterlini – Reto Stirnimann – Tony Virta
Claudio Micheli – Michel Zeiter – Reto Raffainer
Kim Lindemann – Andreas Camenzind – Sven Helfenstein
Pascal Tiegermann

Mark Streit – Martin Kout
Mattias Seger – Andri Stoffel
Tim Ramholt – Edgar Salis
Martin Höhener

Ari Sulander

What to expect :

It's highly unlikely that any team will sweep this serie, as it happend in the 2002 final, won by Davos. Most games between this teams have been won by ZSC ever since, but the last one ended in a convincing 4-0 Davos success, so any prediction based on previous games is hard to make. Both teams play a fast paced game and can score, as well as play strong defensively.

Breakdown :

Goalies : Davos 4/5, ZSC 5/5

Ari Sulander proved many times that you can't discount him during playoffs time. Jonas Hiller had some bad games, but so far has played way above expectation.

Defensive top 4 : Davos 3/5, ZSC 5/5

It's been years since the last time Davos had a true number one defenseman, while ZSC has, with Streit and Seger, two players that are easily better than anyone in Davos.

Defensive depth : Davos 5/5, ZSC 4/5

Davos may have an unspectacular top 4, but their depth is impressive as they have 8 players that could crack any team's line up. ZSC's depth is impressive as well, but they fail to get the maximum rating as some players like Tim Ramholt or Martin Höhener have been disappointing.

Offensive top 6 : Davos 5/5, ZSC 4/5

Not many comments are needed about Davos. Their long time top duo Reto Von Arx-Michel Riesen playing with Rick Nash, and a solid two way player (Jozef Mahra) centering two NHLers bringing speed (Hagman) and strength (Thornton). ZSC's first line is impressive as well, as Randy Robitaille and Robert Petrovicky are one of the best duo in the league, and Jan Alston could play on any team's first line. Their second line is not as impressive, but Tony Virta is playing well in the playoffs.

Offensive depth : Davos 5/5, ZSC 4/5

Davos has an offensive depth that only Lugano come close to match. Having a player like Andres Ambühl on the fourth line is the best proof. ZSC's line up is not as impressive, especially considering offensive production, but there's no player I would call unreliable.

Coach : Davos 5/5, ZSC 4/5

The first playoffs final ever to match two swiss coaches. Davos' Arno Del Curto has been in the final twice in the last three year, and is one of the main reason guys such as Von Arx and Riesen are long time Davos players, while Christian Weber, a core player in ZSC's last two championnship team in 2000 and 2001, responded well to the challenge of going from a playing career to being a contender's coach.

Power play : Davos 4/5, ZSC 5/5

Davos' power play was pretty good in the regular season, but doesn't do as well in the playoffs, mainly because of the lack of a defenseman who can quarterback it, forcing Del Curto to send five forwards on the ice with the man advantage with Niklas Hagman, Reto Von Arx or Andres Ambühl on the blue line. Still, with Joe Thornton as a playmaker and Michel Riesen and Rick Nash in front of the net, that power play can score on any team.
On the other hand, ZSC's PP unit has pretty much all the tools to work perfectly. Mark Streit and Mattias Seger can quarterback the play as well as score from the blue line, Randy Robitaille and Robert Petrovicky can create plays, Thierry Paterlini and Tony Virta can stand in front of the net, and Michel Zeiter and Jan Alston can add their experience to the mix.

Penalty killing : Davos 4/5, ZSC 5/5

Despite being effective against Bern, Davos' PK units are far from perfect. They have many good two way forwards (Von Arx, Rizzi, Mahra, Hagman), but lack of mobile defensemen who can react quickly to the play. On the other hand, ZSC's penalty killing has been fantastic so far in the playoffs, allowing only one goal every 20 minutes, mainly thanks to Ari Sulander, but also because of some good defensive forwards such as Michel Zeiter or Andreas Camenzind, strong defensemen who can clean the crease (Edgar Salis, Martin Kout) and mobile ones who can quickly react to the play (Mark Streit, Mattias Seger).

My prediction :

It goes to game 7, and Davos wins it all.

Last edited by stv11: 03-28-2005 at 05:22 AM.
Old
03-28-2005, 06:16 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Hopefully Davos can bounce back and win game 2

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2005, 09:57 AM
aforc3

Send a message via ICQ to aforc3 Send a message via AIM to aforc3 Send a message via MSN to aforc3 Send a message via Yahoo to aforc3 Send a message via Skype™ to aforc3
GO DAVOS GO

AlleZ Big JOE allez Rick NASH and go Hagman

next game this thursday !

aforc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2005, 01:30 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

A short repot about game one :

Davos 4-6 ZSC

ZSC applied strong pressure from the start, and it resulted in a penalty against Rick Nash after only 24 secondes. At the moment Nash stepped back on the ice, Thierry Paterlini carried the puck past the blue line and sent a shot that Jonas Hiller failed to control and Mark Streit could score the first goal of the serie on the rebound. Less than two minutes later, ZSC came close from scoring the second, when Reto Von Arx blocked a Randy Robitaille's shot that was heading right to a wide open net. The goal still came after six minutes, when a good play by Claudio Micheli brought the puck to Martin Kout alone at the blue line who scored with a low shot. Forty seconds later, Andri Stoffel took a penalty and Davos needed only 39 seconds to take advantage of it. Tony Virta's poor clearing attempt was intercepted by Peter Guggisberg at the blue line, whose shot was deflected right to Joe Thornton, who faked the shot to draw goalie Ari Sulander out of position and perfectly fed Rick Nash for the easy goal. Unfortunatley for Davos, ZSC was clearly the best team in the first period, and cashed again after 15 minutes. Claudio Micheli and Sven Helfenstein circled perfectly in the corner, outplaying the entire Davos defense, and Helfenstein's perfect pass found Andreas Camenzing alone in the slot for the 3-1 lead. Things went worse for Davos when Beat Forster was penalized with two minutes to go, and it took Mark Streit only 23 seconds to send a one timer from the blue line past Hiller.
The second period started with many penalties that resulted in some four on four play, but five seconds after Reto Von Arx stepped back on the ice, giving Davos a five on four power play, Reto Stirnimann skated past the blue line and sent a slapshot past Hiller for the 5-1 lead. Five minutes later, Davos took its time out, but it was to no effect as the second period ended without much more action to be seen. The third period started differently, as Michel Zeiter got a severe major and game misconduct penalty for highsticking, giving Davos a five minutes power play. One and a half minute later, Reto Von Arx faked the shot from the blue line and passed to Peter Guggisberg for Davos' second goal. When Rick Nash and Randy Robitaille both got penalized 3 seconds apart, Davos' five on four power play became a four on three advantage, and one minute later, Joe Thornton found Reto Von Arx alone in front of the net, who calmly waited for Ari Sulander to go down before roofing the puck. Davos then applied an even stronger pressure, but Sulander showed that he remains a strong playoff performer, closing the door on many chances. Time seemed to run out on Davos' hopes, but with two minutes to go, Jozef Mahra sent Niklas Hagman coming at full speed down the left wing. Hagman skated past defenseman Edgar Salis and beat Sulander to set up what should have been an exciting finnish. However, seconds later Rick Nash fouled Thierry Paterlini, giving ZSC a chance to control the end of the game. Davos still tried to apply pressure and even pulled the goalie to play five on five, but it only resulted in Jan Alston's empty net goal with one minute to play.

Unfortunately, as I won't be able to watch Thursday's game, and I'll be on vacation next week, I won't be able to write any more report, except if the serie goes to game seven. If anyone who can watch the games wants to write about them, I would greatly appreciate it as it would be sad to have a thread about an entire season without much about the final.

Old
03-29-2005, 03:52 PM
Strizzi

Quote:
Unfortunately, as I won't be able to watch Thursday's game, and I'll be on vacation next week, I won't be able to write any more report, except if the serie goes to game seven. If anyone who can watch the games wants to write about them, I would greatly appreciate it as it would be sad to have a thread about an entire season without much about the final.
I'll probably be able to watch on Thursday, but not on Saturday. So I can write something about one of the two games this week. Don't know about next week yet.

Old
04-07-2005, 10:29 PM
Strizzi

Davos became champion yesterday by winning the series 4-1. I know I still owe a recap of a game a week ago, but I was extremely busy. I'll post a write-up of the whole series this weekend though.

Old
04-11-2005, 09:47 AM
The Austrian

Send a message via ICQ to The Austrian
tomorrow, tuesday, the austrian league will have the ultimate final. GAME 7 ! between the Vienna Capitals and Klagenfurter AC.

in the past 6 games the home team lost every game ... let us see if we´ll have the same series like Bolts - Flames ....

The Austrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2005, 03:15 PM
The Austrian

Send a message via ICQ to The Austrian
Vienna Capitals are the Austrian Champs !!

They won Game7 against KAC - 6:2

First title for vienna in 43 years

The Austrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2005, 12:57 AM
Fan.At
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to Fan.At Send a message via MSN to Fan.At
What a party! and i missed it

Fan.At is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2005, 03:32 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

A last word on the swiss league. Lausanne lost to Fribourg 4-1 in a relegation serie where most of the action took place off the ice and had to play against Basle, who swept all three of their NLB playoffs series, for the last NLA spot for next season. This serie went to the seventh game and Basle won it 4-0 with David Legwand recording two empty net goals and one assist, so Basle will take Lausanne's place in the NLA next season.

This is a big disappointment for Lausanne, who was about to sign some interesting players for the next season (most notably national team defenseman Olivier Keller from Lugano, as well as veteran defenseman Gaëtan Voisard from Zug and veteran center Jean-Jacques Aeschlimann from Lugano) to make a push for a playoffs berth. On the other hand, Basle dominate the entire NLB season and were deservedly promoted. With a modern arena, competent management (which has always been Lausanne's main weakness) and important financial means, they should be able to become a good NLA team in a few season.

Old
04-15-2005, 08:33 AM
Strizzi

Again, my sincerest apologies for delaying my promised write-up so long, but I really couldn't get my head straight for the last two weeks and kept delaying it day by day. Anyway, I tried to remember as much as possible now:

GAME 2, ZSC 3 - Davos 6 (series tied at 1-1)
Davos learned their lesson from the first game and came out onto the ice much sharper. They clearly dominated the first 8 minutes, and were leading 0-2 afterwards by goals of Nash (PP, assist Thornton) and Rizzi (a nice shorthanded breakaway after a capital mistake by Micheli). The ZSC could then cut the lead by scoring the 1-2, but at the beginning of the second period Davos scored another PP goal by Riesen to make it 1-3 again. In the second period, the ZSC managed to tie the game by a nice solo effort of Streit and a PP goal by Alston, before used another PP to score the 3-4 in minute 40. Sulander didn't look too well at this goal. In the dying minutes of the game, Davos scored two more goals, through Nash and Ambühl (EN).

GAME 3, Davos 3 - ZSC 2 (Davos leads series 2-1)
I couldn't watch this game myself, so I have to rely on press reports for this one. Davos again got an early lead through Hagmann, which the ZSC tied when Stoffel converted a rebound, and Sandro Rizzi gave Davos another lead after 28 mins. Thornton had another assist, as at the first goal. At the end of the 2nd period, the ZSC scored in a power play, and Christen scored the game-winning goal in minute 47.

GAME 4, ZSC 3 - Davos 4 (OT) (Davos leads series 3-1)
The ZSC tried to get their first home win against Davos, and got very close in that. They had more possession during the first two periods, but couldn't take the win at the end. The first period ended 1-2 due to goals of Alston, Thornton and Nash. Right after the break, the ZSC got a lucky goal due to a high puck that flew over Hiller's shoulder. At the beginning ot the third period, the ZSC even got the lead, but couldn't protect it as Hagmann tied it again when Streit couldn't control a high pass back to the blue line on the power play, and Hagmann took the opportunity to run away with it and score the 3-3. In the overtime, Alston then did not manage to put the puck out of their own zone, and Thornton stole it from him. His pass was neatly converted by Von Arx with a backhand shot.

GAME 5, Davos 3 - ZSC 2 (OT) (Davos wins the series)
There was a lot of tension in this game, because Davos was one win from the title. In the opening minutes, Davos has some chances to get the early lead, but didn't score. The ZSC on the other hand was quite toothless for the first 35 minutes. And so it was only in minute 32 that Davos scored in a PP (Christen/ Marha, Thornton). In minute 36, the ZSC suddenly got a goal bz Helfenstein after Hiller gave up a juicy rebound. And only 4 minutes after the second break, Jan Alston scored to put the ZSC up 1-2. Davos was a bit shocked because they had been the much better team during the first half, but they managed to tie the game again in a PP (Riesen/ Thornton, Nash). The game went into overtime, where Marha was able to score after a nice run by Laurent Müller.

Overall, it was a very close series. The final score of 4-1 looks more one-sided than it actually was. One thing worth to notice is that I was surprised that Davos was more successful in special team situations than the ZSC. I originally thought it would be the other way around because of defenders like Streit and Seger playing for the ZSC. While Streit proved to be the ZSC's most dangerous power play weapon (even though we was gulity of a shorthander in game 4), Davos had much more dangerous forward in both PP and PK. In the power play, they often manned the blue line with defensive centers like Von Arx and Marha who don't have as good of a shot as Streit, but were not a liability like forwards often are. And the three guys up front were always dangerous, particularly Nash in front of the goal and Thornton at the boards. And they also had notorious short handed threats like Hagmann for example.

Joe Thornton was the top scorer of the playoffs with 4 goals and 21 assists, followed by Jan Alston with 11 goals and 13 assists.

One last thing: seeing all the transfers they did for next season, I can't help but think that the next champions will be the ZSC Lions...

Old
04-15-2005, 09:03 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Thanks for the recaps. I was hoping for the serie to go to game 7 as I would have been able to watch it, but it seems that Davos couldn't loose in overtime.

Quote:
One last thing: seeing all the transfers they did for next season, I can't help but think that the next champions will be the ZSC Lions...
I don't remember ever seeing an NLA team looking that good on paper, but they'll still be challenged by Davos, Lugano and Bern.

Old
05-06-2005, 04:23 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Just a stupid NLB question... Is it true that the heir to the Tobler fortune plays goal somewhere in NLB?

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2005, 11:53 AM
swisdan

Michael Tobler has played with Rappi in LNA and will play yet. It's a goalie but i don't know whether it's the heir of this fortune.

swisdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2005, 08:08 AM
twelve

There's only one player with the surname Tobler in the NLB and NLA. Some information about him can be seen on this page:

http://www.hockeyfans.ch/cgi-bin/spi...michael_tobler

Heir of a fortune or not, he was voted best rookie of the season 2004/2005. He played in Langenthal (NLB) about a year or two ago, but now he plays in the NLA.

twelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2005, 08:10 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelve
There's only one player with the surname Tobler in the NLB and NLA. Some information about him can be seen on this page:

http://www.hockeyfans.ch/cgi-bin/spi...michael_tobler

Heir of a fortune or not, he was voted best rookie of the season 2004/2005. He played in Langenthal (NLB) about a year or two ago, but now he plays in the NLA.
I think that's him ^^

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2005, 10:45 AM
zecke26

just re-opened the thread. new seasons either already started or will start soon. no idea honestly.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2005, 10:50 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Started last friday