HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber

Old
12-03-2011, 06:11 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

vCash: 500
Weber

Is he the odd-man out at this point? To be traded I mean. He's on a cheap, although one-way contract and he doesn't seem to have a spot in the lineup anymore with Emelin and Diaz both being favoured and simply playing better.

Should we move him while PMD's have value? Perhaps for a decent pick or a prospect? What say you?

I like Weber but it really seems like he isn't destined to play his career with the CH.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Andy

Most likely. I like St. Denis' defensive game better than Weber's. When Campoli and Spacek come back, he's most definitely out of the line. I don't see the habs trading him though because given their luck, someone is most likely to get hurt again and they'll end up needing Weber.

But who knows. From an outsiders perspective, he definitely looks like he's on his way out, but you never know.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:13 PM
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member

I trust the management to make the right move - we don't know if he's playing injured or has any other issues. It appears that Weber is playing terrible, terrible hockey though and I really don't want to see him play for this team right now.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:17 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 319
weber needs a sit down

somthing is wrong with hm

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bullsmith

Diaz is the superior Swiss. This is known.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
uiCk
GrEmelins

always thought he was on trade block since day one, considering our D, and upcoming D. He's good player, and hopefully we will be able to get decent value for him, if traded. He already has shown that he can handle multiple situations, PP, has logged big ice time, shows alot of flexibility and willingness to learn, especially on his defensive game.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:21 PM
poetryinmotion

I was going to say that we must keep Weber because he is much younger than Diaz/Emelin but that is sadly not the case, imo trade him.. with a twist though. He's not your usual reclamation project. Weber is in the same situation as Halak, there are better people in front of him or more useful because they complement the team as in Emelin. We should only trade him for a worthy ransom, otherwise keep.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:24 PM
LyricalLyricist

What's the point to trade an established d-man(i use established in the NHL ready sense, not the OMG he's amazing sense) for a potential bust? The guy's young. Spacek, Gill, and Campoli may be gone this summer. Work with weber, and if it doesn't work, he's a depth d-man, if it does work, success. Either way, at this point, under contract, no reason to trade him unless it's to fill a need. You trade the soon-to-be-retired vets before you trade a guy who's only 23. He was drafted as same draft as subban, should we just assume subban will never get better too? Either way, like i said, cheap contract, upside, unelss you get a legit return or package him for something great, keep him and re-evaluate next year.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:24 PM
PyrettaBlaze

He was great at the start of the season but lately he's been beyond awful. I have no idea what's up with him... Definitely the odd man out.

Last edited by PyrettaBlaze: 12-03-2011 at 06:49 PM.
PyrettaBlaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Dempsey

How come he played less than 4 minutes in today's game?

Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:28 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
What's the point to trade an established d-man(i use established in the NHL ready sense, not the OMG he's amazing sense) for a potential bust? The guy's young. Spacek, Gill, and Campoli may be gone this summer. Work with weber, and if it doesn't work, he's a depth d-man, if it does work, success. Either way, at this point, under contract, no reason to trade him unless it's to fill a need. You trade the soon-to-be-retired vets before you trade a guy who's only 23. He was drafted as same draft as subban, should we just assume subban will never get better too? Either way, like i said, cheap contract, upside, unelss you get a legit return or package him for something great, keep him and re-evaluate next year.
We have Diaz, Subban, Beaulieu, Markov as puckmovers and all of them are better. All of them can play defense too. Even Campoli and Emelin can move the puck. Even next year assuming we re-sign Emelin and Diaz we still don't have a spot open for Weber.

Old
12-03-2011, 06:31 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
We have Diaz, Subban, Beaulieu, Markov as puckmovers and all of them are better. All of them can play defense too. Even Campoli and Emelin can move the puck. Even next year assuming we re-sign Emelin and Diaz we still don't have a spot open for Weber.
Bealieau? Really, I forgot how NHL ready he is right now. Oh yah, Markov, still injured. Campoli is UFA at end of the year, why would we re-sign him, he was a depth move.

Markov-Subban
Gorges-Emelin
Diaz-Weber

It's not really me making lines, just showing that assuming we sign UFA gorges and markov can actually play, we have 6 d-men...If you sign another top 4 d-man, weber can be 7th.

Old
12-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Is he the odd-man out at this point? To be traded I mean. He's on a cheap, although one-way contract and he doesn't seem to have a spot in the lineup anymore with Emelin and Diaz both being favoured and simply playing better.

Should we move him while PMD's have value? Perhaps for a decent pick or a prospect? What say you?

I like Weber but it really seems like he isn't destined to play his career with the CH.
I think it wayyy too early to move him...1-because he is signed cheap and he provides good insurance. 2-I think overall he is better than Diaz 3-we have a few older d-men and UFA's next summer, I wouldn't move him until next summer unless it was a "too good to be true" offer like a 1st rounder or high end(Gormley McNeill Miller Schwartz etc).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Diaz is the superior Swiss. This is known.
Swiss cheese is renowned for its holes. Weber has more and bigger of them than Diaz. Kudos to Gauthier for bringing Diaz (not to mention Emelin) over. There's hope.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Yeah he's struggled lately...big deal...young players hit rough patches...not sure why there is a rush to trade him. As we have seen the last few years, depth on defense is never a bad thing, plus he can fill in adequately up front when needed. At this point he is our best #7 option. Diaz and St Denis to hamilton once everybody is back.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:37 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Swiss cheese is renowned for its holes. Weber has more and bigger of them than Diaz. Kudos to Gauthier for bringing Diaz (not to mention Emelin) over. There's hope.
Funny comment aside, Diaz is also nearly 3 years older than Weber. About 2 years 9-10 months older to be exact. We need to give it time.

Old
12-03-2011, 06:39 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Bealieau? Really, I forgot how NHL ready he is right now. Oh yah, Markov, still injured. Campoli is UFA at end of the year, why would we re-sign him, he was a depth move.

Markov-Subban
Gorges-Emelin
Diaz-Weber

It's not really me making lines, just showing that assuming we sign UFA gorges and markov can actually play, we have 6 d-men...If you sign another top 4 d-man, weber can be 7th.
There's no way we don't go after a defenseman or two this off-season. Even this time next year Emelin, Diaz and Subban still aren't seasoned NHL vets. We'll go after an older guy who can kill penalties. We can't keep Weber as a 7th forever, it's unfair to him.

Old
12-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Before we trade him away we need to have the doctors examine him.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:44 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
There's no way we don't go after a defenseman or two this off-season. Even this time next year Emelin, Diaz and Subban still aren't seasoned NHL vets. We'll go after an older guy who can kill penalties. We can't keep Weber as a 7th forever, it's unfair to him.
It's not unfair to him, and this year proved injures happen. Weber had top 3 d-man icetime and failed to keep it. I like weber, but it's his opportunity lost, at same time, doesn't mean we trade players for sake of it. If we get a good return, yes, but until then, he's under contract and cheap. Like I said, he's 3 years younger than Diaz. Give it 1 more year IMO.

Old
12-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Guilliam

Weber misses Spacek. He played his best games when they were paired together.

In fact, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the whole team misses Spacek. That D need another stabilizing vet presence.

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 07:11 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I really hope he does not get moved he can be a very effective dman in the NHL and is still very young.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Lemons

I donno, i think his confidence is really low. He's still very talented. I say be patient with him before we throw him to the dogs.

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 07:18 PM
donghabs98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
Weber misses Spacek. He played his best games when they were paired together.

In fact, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the whole team misses Spacek. That D need another stabilizing vet presence.
agreed with the weber part

they played well together
much better then weber-gill

Old
12-03-2011, 07:19 PM
donghabs98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
I donno, i think his confidence is really low. He's still very talented. I say be patient with him before we throw him to the dogs.
i think throwing him into the dogs has happened to many players that got traded and look at them now

Old
12-03-2011, 07:28 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
i think throwing him into the dogs has happened to many players that got traded and look at them now
All the other players we traded were at positions of weakness however. We never didn't need Kostitsyn or Ribeiro or Fatty. Weber is something we have an excess of. Puck moving defenseman. If we can move him for a position of weakness like a young forward with top six upside(since our top six is old), I don't see why we wouldn't. Diaz is a smarter version of Weber. You can't teach vision or hockey IQ, and Diaz will always be better than Weber in these areas.