HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How long does Pegula's "Honeymoon" last?

Old
12-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Slapshot85

vCash: 500
How long does Pegula's "Honeymoon" last?

I hate to start this thread, because he, along with Kim, seem very committed to the game and to the organization. However, the one thing that has always worried me is does he have the ability to make the hard decisions (through clear-color glasses), and does he have the ability to feel the pulse of the organization and the hockey team. It's easy to spend money, but the real test is in making those hard decisions.

If the season continues the way it has, how long does he have before he starts feeling the heat? Would fans start questioning him and his ability?

Slapshot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Tanks4daMemories
good 2b a tankster

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot85 View Post
I hate to start this thread, because he, along with Kim, seem very committed to the game and to the organization. However, the one thing that has always worried me is does he have the ability to make the hard decisions (through clear-color glasses), and does he have the ability to feel the pulse of the organization and the hockey team. It's easy to spend money, but the real test is in making those hard decisions.

If the season continues the way it has, how long does he have before he starts feeling the heat? Would fans start questioning him and his ability?

I think it's a least a full season.

Tanks4daMemories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

People are going to be upset if the team continues to struggle, but there's really not a whole lot he can do as an owner right now. He's not going to replace his GM and/or coach after less than 30 games into what's his first full season. Nothing major is going to happen to this team until after the season, and it may not even happen then. It'll depend on how the season ends.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:38 PM
RiotAct
Panickin' 4 Hanifin

I was as skeptical as anyone else when he first came on board with all his "we're gonna win the Cup!!!!!!!!!" hoopla and everyone was fawning over him, BUT - it's not his fault the players aren't executing on the ice. He enabled Regier to go out and got some pretty good free agents this offseason

RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:40 PM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 374
When I think of the last two owners past (and I still do thank Golisano for buying the team) I am thankful we have Terry Pegula.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:41 PM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

He put his money where his mouth, so I love him for that. Lindy ain't going nowhere might be the 4 worst words we heard in a while though.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

Pegula did his part in the offseason. It's not his fault this team is completely underachieving, and Regier's core is made up of mental midget marshmellows. That makes me wonder about the fireplace he built though...

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:42 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

I think he gets a one full season pass.

If we miss the playoffs or get knocked out in the first round again, a lot of fans will expect major changes to the coaching / management staff - including Ruff and/or Regier.

When/If that doesn't happen - honeymoon's over.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Slapshot85

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
I was as skeptical as anyone else when he first came on board with all his "we're gonna win the Cup!!!!!!!!!" hoopla and everyone was fawning over him, BUT - it's not his fault the players aren't executing on the ice. He enabled Regier to go out and got some pretty good free agents this offseason
But he is responsible for Regier and Lindy.

Slapshot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
He put his money where his mouth, so I love him for that. Lindy ain't going nowhere might be the 4 worst words we heard in a while though.
I think people make too much out of that quote. Pegula knows lots of people like Lindy around Buffalo, so when he was asked over the summer if Lindy was staying, he gave them an answer to make them happy. Obviously Pegula himself likes Lindy as well, but I don't get all this stuff about Lindy having a free reign and not having to worry about his job.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:48 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

The Sabres were around $5M from the cap last year. When he bought the team, I said, "if all this guy can do is spend another $5M for us, we're not going anywhere."

Now, I've been surprised and pleased at how much he's been able to do with front loaded contracts and burying guys in the minors. That said, there's only so much raw spending power can do for you in a salary cap league.

So when he came on and said "Darcy and Lindy aren't going anywhere," my first thought is - well, what kind of change are we going to see? I do think that a shake-up would help at this point, and I think Ruff might be a good candidate. I'm not sold on this system, and I'm not fond of his personnel decisions. But if all Pegula can do is spend a little more money, the change we thought he stood for might not really be achievable.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:51 PM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 374
I think we are getting first hand experience as to why the NY Rangers haven't been very good for many years despite buying high priced free agents.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:54 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
I think we are getting first hand experience as to why the NY Rangers haven't been very good for many years despite buying high priced free agents.
Because Ehrhoff playing 25+ minutes a night, Leino centering the line that scored two goals tonight and Regehr being the team's best defenseman are what's wrong with this team.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Judging by the mood in the arena the last two games I attended, I think it's over.

12-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Smitzo4221

Amazing how our expectations for this team has dropped. "If we make the playoffs."

Smitzo4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Afino
The Juice

Even though it's "not Terry's fault", it's over.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:35 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

When I think of the term "honeymoons over" I think of a time when you no longer like the situation you're in.

I like Pegula, as a person and an owner. Until he starts penny pinching and cheap skating the organization, I will always like him. Therefore my "honeymoon" with him won't end in the foreseeable future. I put things in perspective like ....comparing other owners in other sports.

Long live Pegula!!!!

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:38 PM
slip

It feels like the bride just walked in on the groom messin' around with the maid-of-honor.

Definitely over.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:41 PM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
Yup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitzo4221 View Post
Amazing how our expectations for this team has dropped. "If we make the playoffs."
Sounds awfully familiar to the Tommy G. era of penny-pinching, eh?

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 11:18 PM
ZemgusWho
Future, coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
It feels like the bride just walked in on the groom messin' around with the maid-of-honor.

Definitely over.
I used to think Buffalo had some of the best fans in the league. But more and more I wonder. We're impatient, adversity adverse, and worst of all looking for someone to blame. Let's hope we don't run Pegula out of town the way we eviscerated Golisano for what I think was an overall good tenure as owner.

I think in the last five years the overall tenor of sports fans in WNY has gone from "we're Buffalo, it's tough but we persevere" to "we want 1st overall picks OR championships and we're going to piss on about it all day long." Look at the talk radio station, look at the papers. Something's happened, and the mere threat of attacking the greatest thing to ever happen to Sabre hockey in the first six months of it happening is absolutely ridiculous. People like to call it "accountability" but it smacks of malice and the constant desire to take out our frustrations as Buffalo fans on someone-anyone.

The excessive booing of the home team has gotten rather ridiculous. and I honestly think its starting to border on "bad fans" territory. What did you expect? a silver platter w/ an undefeated season? You're booing a team with THAT many starters out due to injury?

Today's game sucked. I'm unhappy. But its time for some perspective. The Blue Jackets' fans have a right to boo the hell out of their team night after night.

ZemgusWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 11:33 PM
VaporTrail
Used Tank Salesman

Pegula Rulllllllles !

I Love Pegulaville !!!

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 11:36 PM
jamers
bleep bop bloop

Hopefully for a long, long time. It hasn't even been a full calendar year since he purchased the team. Sigh.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:10 AM
keithLGA

hockey heaven doesn't seem to be heaven anymore. who's to blame? who knows. darcy gets first blame though since the high paid free agents aren't proving they're worth the big bucks.

keithLGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:36 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithLGA View Post
hockey heaven doesn't seem to be heaven anymore. who's to blame? who knows. darcy gets first blame though since the high paid free agents aren't proving they're worth the big bucks.
Like people have said, Ehrhoff is playing nearly 30 minutes a night, Regehr's been the most steady D-man, and Leino's line is the only working properly right now.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:17 AM
boots electric

as others have pointed out, our FA signings aren't exactly the reason we're losing at the moment -- its the rest of the team he inherited.

the honey moon will end eventually, but realistically, any severe criticism of pegula should probably wait until about the 20-game mark next season. see how the season progresses -- if the team bites the big one the last half of the season and misses the playoffs, or if they get knocked out in the first round again, he'll have to make some very tough calls. how he handles those calls will be his first real test as team owner

with all that said, the team is clearly in a transition-phase right now despite the core that's in place, and i have a feeling pominville will end up being the last carryover.

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote