HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Senators @ Devils | December 8th, 2011, 7:00pm EST | SNET-Sens

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2011, 12:14 PM
SelleckStache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post

Team Butler could wear these:

Old
12-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Golden
Börk Börk Börk

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelleckStache View Post
It's time to make "Team Bobby" and "Team Niki" T-shirts though, right?
Don't leave the "Team Rundblad" and "Team Karlsson" folks out of all the fun or they might start bickering about it.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:16 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Interesting comments, but truly just all supposition.

I would think if Filatov has no future with the organization, Murray would have released him to the KHL by now. While that still may happen, the fact it hasn't yet occurred seems to suggest the team still values him to some degree.

Why MacLean isn't giving Filatov a game after Butler's performances, only he knows, but IMO Filatov looked better than Butler in the two games prior to the 'Butler experiment'.

If, as you suggest, Butler is going to end up in a rotation with Konopka, then Murray might as well trade or waive him now. Butler wasn't given a two year 1-way deal to play fourth line minutes, a role he isn't anymore suited for than Filatov.

The reality is that both Butler and Filatov haven't produced on a line with Spezza, maybe its just too big a jump for either of them at this stage.

While the return of Regin does offer the Sens potentially better options with the top six, there is no guarantee Regin's shoulder will hold up either.

The one thing that is certain, Murray has some decisions to make, but the injury to Kuba bought him 4 - 6 weeks to decide his moves.
Me thinks Murray was pissed that Filatov, or his agent, of the KHL, tried to force him into doing something he didn't want to do. Murray was fine with Niki staying in Bingo for most of the year but now his hand was forced into bringing him up to Ottawa. This might be their way of showing who's boss.

Just a thought.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:17 PM
bdp

Expected Jersey Shore-themed GDT. I am leaving disappointed.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:17 PM
HappyDude
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinYS View Post
Yeowch. Just heard Coach Stash's pre-game comments and he said he didn't even THINK about putting Filatov in. Can't be good.
there was such an awkward look on his face after. Like he was thinking "**** I forgot about him!"

Old
12-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Interesting comments, but truly just all supposition.

I would think if Filatov has no future with the organization, Murray would have released him to the KHL by now. While that still may happen, the fact it hasn't yet occurred seems to suggest the team still values him to some degree.

Why MacLean isn't giving Filatov a game after Butler's performances, only he knows, but IMO Filatov looked better than Butler in the two games prior to the 'Butler experiment'.

If, as you suggest, Butler is going to end up in a rotation with Konopka, then Murray might as well trade or waive him now. Butler wasn't given a two year 1-way deal to play fourth line minutes, a role he isn't anymore suited for than Filatov.

The reality is that both Butler and Filatov haven't produced on a line with Spezza, maybe its just too big a jump for either of them at this stage.

While the return of Regin does offer the Sens potentially better options with the top six, there is no guarantee Regin's shoulder will hold up either.

The one thing that is certain, Murray has some decisions to make, but the injury to Kuba bought him 4 - 6 weeks to decide his moves.
I don't disagree and I think it's pretty obvious who has been the better player between Butler and Filatov the last 2 weeks. There is no logical explanation of why Butler is still in for Filatov in terms of just what is going on during the games.

Fact of the matter is it's pretty hard to justify for a coach taking someone out of the lineup who really doesn't deserve it over a kid they never really wanted in the NHL to begin with. People can form their own opinion on whether or not he deserves to be in the NHL or not but it's pretty obvious MacLean wants him in the AHL if he had any say in the matter. The only thing the coach can control is who he puts out there.

As for Regin, he could get hurt the first shift back and a lot of what I said will hold no merit. As is though, Regin's return may very well signal the departure of Filatov because at that point the roster size will be 24 and someone will need to go. Maybe they send Rundblad down but that remains to be seen. Education guess goes to the guy they don't want in the lineup which is Filatov.

A trade would also change a lot.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Pancakes Pancakes

vCash: 1100
I do remember his agent or Nicki making a comment about the money being an issue too, since he makes alot more in the NHL or KHL than AHL. So I guess they are answering his problem and making sure he gets his money.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
It's time to make "Team Bobby" and "Team Niki" T-shirts though, right?
I'll walk around naked, thanks.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:21 PM
SelleckStache

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Have you been at this board often?

It would certainly be nice if most of the posters on this board could get along, or accept that someone doesn't share the same opinion as they do. Unfortunately this is the internet. There's no "agree to disagree" it's "agree with me or you're an idiot who doesn't know anything about hockey."

Anyway, as far as Butler/Filatov goes...we can only speculate I guess. What the organization has said leads us (or at least me) to believe that Filatov should probably be playing (coupled with what he has shown since being called up again, which is more than what Butler has done with his time.)

Since he isn't playing one has to think that there's something going on that we aren't privy to.
I think we can agree that we disagree on this.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:22 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Tier View Post
Expected Jersey Shore-themed GDT. I am leaving disappointed.
Come back in 15 mins and you won't be disappointed

Ok I lied, Devils roster is up now.

Last edited by CanadianHockey: 12-08-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old
Pancakes Pancakes

vCash: 1100
I don't get how someone can see that Filatov has clearly been a better player. I'm not a fan of Butler and I think he's been crap, but Filatov has been equally as crap in the games except for the fact that Butler will forecheck and actually hit someone instead of just giving them a sweet little love tap on the boards and Butler is going to more of the dirty areas. Maybe those are part of the reasons he's playing.

Old
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes Pancakes View Post
I do remember his agent or Nicki making a comment about the money being an issue too, since he makes alot more in the NHL or KHL than AHL. So I guess they are answering his problem and making sure he gets his money.
It's a fair issue as well and one that is solved by being in the NHL.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
I think we can agree that we disagree on this.
You think people know exactly what's going on?

Old
12-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Flamingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Madison View Post
I'll walk around naked, thanks.
Not bad. I expected "Team and Nikki don't go together."

Old
12-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes Pancakes View Post
I don't get how someone can see that Filatov has clearly been a better player. I'm not a fan of Butler and I think he's been crap, but Filatov has been equally as crap in the games except for the fact that Butler will forecheck and actually hit someone instead of just giving them a sweet little love tap on the boards and Butler is going to more of the dirty areas. Maybe those are part of the reasons he's playing.
I think Filatov had a much strong 2 1/20 of a game than Butler's last 3. That said Filatov had huge issues on the defensive side of things and being soft in the Dallas game and that might have sealed his fate for the time being.

Either way, there is more to Filatov not being in the lineup then just how each of the two perform in the games.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:28 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
YUP. Wanna go do karate in the garage?

Old
12-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Golden
Börk Börk Börk

vCash: 375

Masterful.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:36 PM
SelleckStache

Quote:
You think people know exactly what's going on?
No, I just don't think there's anything 'going on'. Coach is picking his guy, that's it.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
No, I just don't think there's anything 'going on'. Coach is picking his guy, that's it.
MacLean wanted him in the AHL, even if that is the case which it could be but still an opinion or a guess at this point as is my opinion and guess, can you blame him? Filatov being in Ottawa has been forced on MacLean whether it's on Murray or Filatov for getting his call up.

Like I said, it's more than just on ice play effecting the decision being made whether it's because MacLean "picked" his guy (which there is probably something to) or if they just dont like him in the room, players or coaches or both.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:52 PM
starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
His last chance was 3 games, 2 shots!
Don't forget Butler has same 2 shots in last 3 games with more TOI.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Manny*

Filatov wishes Maclean would say his name.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:56 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
A couple of games ago Maclean said he was leaning towad putting Filatov in the next game. Then after that game he said there was a spirited debate about puttng him in the next game.

Now it just doesnt seem to be a consideration. I wonder if this is a management decision, maybe just a way to show him who's boss.

And maybe since there are so many young players on the team who have paid their dues in the AHL, it is a signal to other players not to think they will get special consideration and not to overplay their hand.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
A couple of games ago Maclean said he was leaning towad putting Filatov in the next game. Then after that game he said there was a spirited debate about puttng him in the next game.

Now it just doesnt seem to be a consideration. I wonder if this is a management decision, maybe just a way to show him who's boss.

And maybe since there are so many young players on the team who have paid their dues in the AHL, it is a signal to other players not to think they will get special consideration and not to overplay their hand.
That's my belief too but like others have so kindly pointed out, I don't have first hand knowledge of that. I can't see how Filatov has any respect in that room especially since a guy like Daugavins played down there for 4 years and Filatov didn't even stick it out 4 weeks. Daugavins gave up a lot to stay in NA and try and get to that next level. That's what earns a guy respect.

Old
12-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
I don't disagree and I think it's pretty obvious who has been the better player between Butler and Filatov the last 2 weeks. There is no logical explanation of why Butler is still in for Filatov in terms of just what is going on during the games.

Fact of the matter is it's pretty hard to justify for a coach taking someone out of the lineup who really doesn't deserve it over a kid they never really wanted in the NHL to begin with. People can form their own opinion on whether or not he deserves to be in the NHL or not but it's pretty obvious MacLean wants him in the AHL if he had any say in the matter. The only thing the coach can control is who he puts out there.

As for Regin, he could get hurt the first shift back and a lot of what I said will hold no merit. As is though, Regin's return may very well signal the departure of Filatov because at that point the roster size will be 24 and someone will need to go. Maybe they send Rundblad down but that remains to be seen. Education guess goes to the guy they don't want in the lineup which is Filatov.

A trade would also change a lot.
Murray looked after that problem for 4-6 weeks by putting Kuba on IR.

Old
12-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Murray looked after that problem for 4-6 weeks by putting Kuba on IR.
Is that how long Kuba is out for? That's tough to take because since he went down Karlsson's game has been well below what people expect of him. Guess Kuba isn't so useless after all not that everyone thought he was... just a lot did.

As for the roster size, yes, that does give the team some breathing room for a little bit in terms of making a decision but still really doesn't help Filatov get any playing time.

I'm still a little taken back at the fact MacLean (a guy who usually gives a very detail answer and lets his feeling known) just dismissed any notion of Filatov playing.

Closed Thread