HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carolina as a trading partner

Old
12-08-2011, 01:28 AM
ColonelForbin

vCash: 500
Carolina as a trading partner

Clearly the Canes are at the top of the list of teams likely to make a move in the short-term. They have at least a few assets that should be interesting to the Sabres.

On their NHL roster, Ruutu is a great example. He's had a somewhat down year, but he has shown an ability to produce top-six numbers over his career and his hit totals and physicality would be a big asset. He has played all forward positions.

They also have Zac Dalpe, Victor Rask, and Riley Nash in their prospect pool. All have decent size and might be interesting for different reasons.

Yeah, Ruutu isn't a career long center and flips over to wing at times, but I don't think he needs to be the playmaker on the line if he's paired with the Ennis/Stafford combo. He just needs to be physical, not a defensive liability, and produce 50 points or so to compliment those two. He can also shift to wing once the other center they would hopefully get in the deal cracks the roster.

Buffalo: Roy, 4th
Carolina: Ruutu, Rask

or

Buffalo: Roy, 2nd
Carolina: Ruutu, Dalpe

Not sure how highly Carolina values all of these guys and the value may need to be adjusted either way, but I think this is a good starting point for a deal that helps both teams.

Sign someone like Stoll in the offseason, and all of the sudden the team has some center depth and is tough top to bottom.

Vanek-Adam-Pominville
Ennis-Ruutu-Stafford
Leino-Stoll-Kassian
Gerbe-McCormick-Tropp
Dalpe/Rask
Foligno

It also changes the core of the team and avoids getting into a situation where they give Roy a raise and maintain the status quo.

ColonelForbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:38 AM
SlugLife978

As has been said many, many times:

It makes absolutely no sense to trade Roy if we are trying to address our center problem, unless it is as part of a package for a better center. He is our only legitimate top-6 center. Yes, Adam has potential, but he is still a rookie, and prone to rookie-disappearance-syndrome. Bottom line is that your proposal would make our center depth worse, not better. You said it yourself, Ruutu is primarily a winger who dabbles at center, a la Brad Boyes and Ville Leino. We need to trade from a position of strength (wing). Start with Stafford or Ennis and go from there.

SlugLife978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:55 AM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

House hunters international ( iceberg property ). must have dual vanity's.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 02:53 AM
Girgenburger

Rutherford openly said on TSN that the Canes "may have to continue trading Staal or Ward."

Darcy should be looking to talk trade. Staal is the exact kind of player Buffalo is missing. He's the ideal top line center. He's a big man with tons of skill.

Stafford
Foligno
McNabb
1st
(+?)

for

Staal
3rd

Vanek-Staal-Pominville
Adam-Leino-Kassian
Gerbe-Hecht-Boyes
McCormick-Goose-Kaleta

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:12 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

I'd love either Staal or Ruutu on the squad.

Overall, this team needs more people with double vowels in their last name.

I'd gladly do a Stafford, 1st + for Staal, or Ennis for Ruutu + (Ruutu being an UFA, but can hopefully be re-signed at maybe 3.5/4 mil...

(salary moves to be made at the same time, of course).

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 05:47 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaSHian View Post
Rutherford openly said on TSN that the Canes "may have to continue trading Staal or Ward."

Darcy should be looking to talk trade. Staal is the exact kind of player Buffalo is missing. He's the ideal top line center. He's a big man with tons of skill.

Stafford
Foligno
McNabb
1st
(+?)

for

Staal
3rd

Vanek-Staal-Pominville
Adam-Leino-Kassian
Gerbe-Hecht-Boyes
McCormick-Goose-Kaleta
You seem to still be missing roy in those lines lol. If we trade for a center, lineup wise, it'd be closer to:

Vanek - Staal - Pominville
Hecht - Roy - Boyes
Adam - Leino - Kassian
Gerbe - Gaustad - Kaletta/Tropp

McCormick

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 06:50 AM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Yes, a guy lie Staal would be ideal. I know he's having a horrid season and maybe achange is what he needs too. It would be a drastic overpayment to get him though. He is the type that Roy is in the mix though.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 07:14 AM
HiddenInLight

Roy is not in the mix until after we find another center and even after we get another center it better be for an upgrade for a second center. We can't afford to trade him considering he is exactly 50% of our natural centers on the team.

Old
12-08-2011, 08:16 AM
sk8haggard9

The Sabres are not trading Roy. He has one of the best contracts in the league, is a consistent 70 point scorer, plays strong defense, and is a center (which obviously are quite elusive to the Sabres organization). "Roy ain't going nowhere"

sk8haggard9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 08:28 AM
HiddenInLight

How about this deal:

To CAR:
Drew Stafford
Brad Boyes
TJ Brennon/McNabb
2012 1st round pick (BUF)

To BUF:

Staal

We keep up either Kassian or Tropp if needed to fill in the spot vacated by boyes, Hecht moves back to wing.

Vanek - Staal - Pominville
Hecht - Roy - Ennis
Adam - Leino - Kassian
Gerbe - Gaustad - Kaleta/McCormick/Tropp

Ellis
Kaletta/McCormick

Old
12-08-2011, 09:11 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8haggard9 View Post
The Sabres are not trading Roy. He has one of the best contracts in the league, is a consistent 70 point scorer, plays strong defense, and is a center (which obviously are quite elusive to the Sabres organization). "Roy ain't going nowhere"
I tend to agree, Roy is here to stay. Not only is his current contract friendly, but he does play a decent backchecking defensive game as well.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
I tend to agree, Roy is here to stay. Not only is his current contract friendly, but he does play a decent backchecking defensive game as well.
Exactly.

He's the perfect "Drury" type 2nd line C. We're just missing the "Briere" 1st line C talent to go with him.

Everyone gets on Roy for not being that 80-100 point 1st line C but they always fail to see him as the perfect "can do it all' 2nd line C. He's definitely not the issue.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
At this point, a Roy-for-Staal type of deal would be interesting (especially to see how the Sabres get under the cap) if Eric is on the block and could be had. I would expect the Sabres to baulk at putting too much more into it and I would expect Carolina to want something like Armia and the Sabres first rounder too.

12-08-2011, 09:42 AM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
I'd love either Staal or Ruutu on the squad.

Overall, this team needs more people with double vowels in their last name.

I'd gladly do a Stafford, 1st + for Staal, or Ennis for Ruutu + (Ruutu being an UFA, but can hopefully be re-signed at maybe 3.5/4 mil...

(salary moves to be made at the same time, of course).
Yes, more double vowels!

And yes, Ruutu and Staal on the roster plz!

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:43 AM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Staal would be a great pick up but I doubt he would be traded. Rutherford might make a shake up trade but Staal is an elite center.

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
Staal would be a great pick up but I doubt he would be traded. Rutherford might make a shake up trade but Staal is an elite center.
Bob McKenzie's commentary last night about Carolina may have to move Staal or Ward to jumpstart their rebuild. It's not ideal as Staal's contract is burdensome and his play has taken a drastic turn since he hurt his brother. But it may be an option to explore since top-line, 30-goal/80 point centers who shoulder the #1 role don't become available all that often.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:55 AM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
Exactly.

He's the perfect "Drury" type 2nd line C. We're just missing the "Briere" 1st line C talent to go with him.

Everyone gets on Roy for not being that 80-100 point 1st line C but they always fail to see him as the perfect "can do it all' 2nd line C. He's definitely not the issue.
Roy will never be anywhere near the leader Drury was, comparing those two in any way is a bad comparison. Roy's "two-way" game gets completely overblown on these boards. He's a decent defensive player nothing more.

Roy + for Staal is very interesting. That 8.2 million will be tough to take on though... maybe Roy and Stafford for Staal? Would that be giving up slightly too much for him? Would Carolina even want to take that much salary back? I'd like Rutuu as well and he'd certainly cost a lot less.

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:58 AM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Bob McKenzie's commentary last night about Carolina may have to move Staal or Ward to jumpstart their rebuild. It's not ideal as Staal's contract is burdensome and his play has taken a drastic turn since he hurt his brother. But it may be an option to explore since top-line, 30-goal/80 point centers who shoulder the #1 role don't become available all that often.
I am aware, I agree that Buffalo should be all over this if true. I just have a hard time imagining Rutherford trading away a 27 year old elite cup winning center. I see them trying to move Ruutu and Jokinen before others. It will be tough for them to rebuild with not to many veterans on their roster.

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:02 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I'd love to see the Sabres be able to roll the dice and get Eric Staal. I just don't see it happening with the Sabres current cap situation unless the Sabres are sending Hecht and Boyes to Carolina in the deal.

Also, I don't know if Staal waives his NTC to come to Buffalo.

But, I'm guessing that Carolina will want more than the Sabres are willing to give up in the deal.

If I'm Rutherford, I'm asking for something like this:

To Carolina:

Adam
Kassian
Hecht
Boyes
2012 1st

To Buffalo:

Staal

I don't see Carolina wanting anything to do with 3 more years of Stafford at $4M per year.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:52 PM
Sabretip

I'd love Staal but, frankly, take him or Ward off the Canes roster and they're an AHL team IMO. I just can't see Carolina abandoning hope of rebounding by dealing a franchise center like Staal.

A more realistic and less of a blockbuster that I'd target:

To Buffalo:
Ruutu, RW, $3.8M
Gleason, D, $2.75M

To Carolina:
Stafford, RW, $4.0M
Leopold, D, $3.0M

Whether or not Regier would be willing to take on two pending UFAs seems to be the dealbreaker....

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 06:48 AM
HiddenInLight

To BUF:

Staal
Ruutu

To CAR:
Stafford
Boyes
Ennis
Leopold
Grags
Brennan
2012 1st

Boyes goes for cap, Stafford First and Brennan for Staal, Ennis and Grags for Ruutu. Our lines after this deal:

Vanek - Staal - Pomminville
Hecht - Roy - Ruutu
Adam - Leino - Kassian
Gerbe - Gaustad - McCormick
Kaletta

Myers - Regehr
Ehrhoff - Sekera
McNabb - Finley
Webber

Clears up our log jam at winger, and sends some young players with lots of potentials and a first to carolina. Gives the sabres a cup winning number one center, and a scoring winger that is an UFA at the end of the year if we decide to go in another direction. Also this leaves us with only one converted wing center. If you could talk CAR into it maybe even replace Ennis with a second rounder if they would prefer that, putting Ennis on the 4th line with Gaustad and Gerbe to add a scoring touch to their setup ability.