HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #28: Anaheim Ducks @ St. Louis Blues 7:00 CDT

Old
12-08-2011, 01:36 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

vCash: 500

VS.

AT

TEAM COMPARISONS
Blues are better right now. I'll update this section at 10:00pm CDT tomorrow.

WESTERN CONFERENCE STANDINGS
...are pretty darn close.

LAST TIME

STARTING LINEUPS
(Subject to Verfication)

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Perron-Berglund-Stewart
D'Agostini-Sobotka-Langenbrunner
Porter-Arnott-Nichol

Colaiacovo-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Russell-Polak

Halak
Elliott

Beleskey-Getzlaf-Perry
Ryan-Koivu-Selanne
Hagman-Cogliano-Smith-Pelly
Gordon-Macenauer-J.F. Jacques

Fowler-Beauchemin
Lydman-Sbisa
Guenin-Brookbank

Hiller
Deslauriers

Oh, and find your own darn stories about the game you lazy bums. My name isn't "Google."

**No Stories Yet**

**No Stories Yet**

**No Stories Yet**

MEDIA

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 12-08-2011 at 04:16 AM.
EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:32 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Stories:

Out of all the teams even close to playoff contention, particularly in the West, none of them have as bad of a record against a division as the Blues do against the Pacific (1-4-0). After dropping a bunch of games to the Pacific to start the year, can the Blues keep from playing down to the opposition now that they're playing better and Anaheim is terrible?

The Ducks are bad, but maybe not as bad as they appear. They've played a grand total of four games against teams not currently in playoff position. Two against Nashville, one against Columbus, and one against Montreal. They've also played San Jose twice, but San Jose is effectively in the playoffs with their point percentage - and hey, Anaheim beat them in both meetings.
By contrast, the Blues have played 10 games against teams out of playoff position (still not including San Jose). That doesn't tell the whole story by any means, because you always meet teams at different times, when they're on hot and cold streaks; but the difference is worth noting.

However, the Blues have played more road games, and the difference in road & home records here is dramatic. 2-5-4 (-10 road differential) vs. 9-3-1 (+12 home differential). The Ducks haven't won on the road since October 27th.

Blues stories:

After a big game against a good team and a huge rival, the Blues are in danger of a let-down. They haven't shown signs of that under Hitchcock, but they also simply haven't played enough games to establish a pattern.

Sobotka at center. I thought he looked great. I liked him there last year, but now he actually has some linemates. He is a definite playmaker and I think he can provide a lot more of that at center ice. I'm interested to see if Arnott on the 4th line will spark Reaves a bit. He's a bit more than just an enforcer, and a center with some skill and the ability to create room could make the most of their depth. If Grachev works his way back to the big club later in the year, a 4th line of Grachev-Arnott-Reaves is just cruel.

Second line heating up. Berglund and Stewart each have four points in their last four games, and Perron's return has had a noticeable impact. Most notably, I think that Perron's tenacity and reads in all zones allow Berglund to commit more to a play instead of being his line's conscience at all times. Steen provided that for Berglund and Stewart late last year.

Anaheim likes to goon it up, and most teams who do tend to do so when they're being outplayed or are behind on the scoreboard. The Blues suffered a bit when Philly did this to them. Hopefully they can continue to draw penalties and keep up their powerplay roll instead of getting provoked. Definitely look for Reaves to beat somebody's ass, though.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:38 AM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Stories:

Anaheim likes to goon it up, and most teams who do tend to do so when they're being outplayed or are behind on the scoreboard. The Blues suffered a bit when Philly did this to them. Hopefully they can continue to draw penalties and keep up their powerplay roll instead of getting provoked. Definitely look for Reaves to beat somebody's ass, though.
If suffering is a 4-1 win..I'll take it.

I thought this was from NHL.com and I couldn't believe they said ass haahaha.

Should be a good game, Had a days rest after the big win, would like to see the same effort from the final 30 minutes of that game. The Ducks did beat us in our first meeting, but that was also when they were playing really good there for the first few games.

3-2 win.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:46 AM
Green Star

Green Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:51 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
If suffering is a 4-1 win..I'll take it.

I thought this was from NHL.com and I couldn't believe they said ass haahaha.

Should be a good game, Had a days rest after the big win, would like to see the same effort from the final 30 minutes of that game. The Ducks did beat us in our first meeting, but that was also when they were playing really good there for the first few games.

3-2 win.

Regarding the Philly game, that was a different Blues team, honestly, but we'll see. It was 4-2, not 4-1, and the Blues got two of their goals in the first ten minutes. Philly gooned it up, got to them, allowed Hartnell to take Backes off the ice on matching penalties, got three straight powerplays, and outshot the Blues 30-15 in the second and third period, with a 17-5 differential in the third. Prior to Bryzgalov's gift mishandle to D'Agostini, it was a very close game with Philly surging.

Old
12-08-2011, 04:43 AM
Jzk

vCash: 1227
Play Cole and sit Russell already. Why does this team like to handicap itself so much? Cole is obviously better. I don't get it.

Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 05:30 AM
Green Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzk View Post
Play Cole and sit Russell already. Why does this team like to handicap itself so much? Cole is obviously better. I don't get it.
And to think we could have Nikitin the 25-30 mins/game man.

Green Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 05:48 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzk View Post
I would be fine with Cole in the lineup, but Russell has played just fine and can score. If you are giving the big minutes to Colaiacovo and Jackman on the left side, it's nice to have someone who offers a significantly different look. All of the Blues right D have good speed. There were a couple of potentially dangerous situations against Detroit where a guy was absolutely cooking down the right wing and Russell defended against him very well and was only able to do so because of his speed.

For the record, Russell has been on the ice for one damn goal against since he came to the Blues. I don't mean he was minus in one game, I mean one single goal has been scored against the Blues in all of his 211 minutes played - the one goal Detroit scored on November 15th. And I've watched all of those minutes and I don't think they've kept the puck out of the net in spite of poor play. He's been good.

Old
12-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Celtic Note
Thanks very little

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
I would be fine with Cole in the lineup, but Russell has played just fine and can score. If you are giving the big minutes to Colaiacovo and Jackman on the left side, it's nice to have someone who offers a significantly different look. All of the Blues right D have good speed. There were a couple of potentially dangerous situations against Detroit where a guy was absolutely cooking down the right wing and Russell defended against him very well and was only able to do so because of his speed.

For the record, Russell has been on the ice for one damn goal against since he came to the Blues. I don't mean he was minus in one game, I mean one single goal has been scored against the Blues in all of his 211 minutes played - the one goal Detroit scored on November 15th. And I've watched all of those minutes and I don't think they've kept the puck out of the net in spite of poor play. He's been good.
I will say this... Russell played a very good game against Detroit. He simplified his game and made some good reads. I really believe that a defensemen needs to ply the game this way to be effective, especially in tough games. If Russell can keep playing this way, I might feel better about him.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Russell has really played pretty well since he got here and he's got some offensive pop. I'm ok with him being the lineup.

I'm still not convinced we shouldn't try and trade Cola

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:12 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

I think Carlo's "re-emergence" into the lineup continues to show this team needs for a legit partner for Petro.

You can't possible shelter Colaiacovo's minutes when he's playing with the guy who will routinely lead the D in even strength ice time.

I think this guy is just not good. His decision making his slow and his mobility is just awful which Detroit really exposed when any right winger came down to his side.

He can be an asset on the power play and that's where his positive impact ends.

As for the game, Anaheim does not play very structured and they've been giving up a ton of goals...the Blues offense will have a lot of chances tonight to put goals on the board.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:16 AM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

vCash: 50
Im hoping for a lot of offense tonight. Im gonna go with 5-2. Backes, Stewart x2, Shattenkirk and Sobotka.

As to the Cole vs Russel argument, I personally prefer Cole but Russel hasnt been that bad. I agree that we should try and trade Cola but with his injury history what would his value be?

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:08 AM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 2238
I gave my tickets away for the game, so I'll say 5-0 Blues

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:18 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
I don't understand all the hate for Russell. We needed someone who could skate and carry the puck. Nikitin and Polak simply couldn't move the puck. The other pairings were playing great together, so there was no reason to split any of them up. The only opiton was to put Colaiacovo with Polak and Nikitin with Pietrangelo, which really wasn't an option.

We really need a big offensive game. This is a game where scoring 4 goals with at least 1 on the PP would be huge for the offensive confidence of the team. It would be huge if the Perron, Berglund, and Stewart line can get multiple goals.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:55 AM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I don't understand all the hate for Russell.
Agreed. Not to mention the kid is a +7 in only 12 games. Doesn't sound like much of a liability to me. And it's not like it's his fault he's preventing Cole from getting playing time. I'm with you, I say Blues fans should give him a swinging chance.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:17 PM
BigB
We Want Big Macs!

And from what I see, Cole does no do it for me. I am much happier with Russell than Cole. Cole in my opinion makes more silly mistaks than Russell and I feel Russell has been playing better overall.

Funny how opinions shift when we all see the same games.

BigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:20 PM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
I think its just the way certian fans view defensemen, because Cole and Russel are totally different styles of dmen.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:28 PM
BigB
We Want Big Macs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
I think its just the way certian fans view defensemen, because Cole and Russel are totally different styles of dmen.
You are absolutely right in that! At home defense vs offensive defensive vs blended... Really does depend on what the partner's style is to dictate the type needed for an effective pairing.

I am not a fan of the home defensemen and enjoy an offensive swing on my D. Probably why I am not a fan of Jackman at all. Not a very beautiful element offensively.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:34 PM
wilco5886
Come On You Spurs

Blues' record this year vs. last year
15-9-3 v. 14-9-4

Starting to get into the dog days of the season. Need to win at least 2 out the next 3 at home.

wilco5886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:40 PM
wilco5886
Come On You Spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
I think Carlo's "re-emergence" into the lineup continues to show this team needs for a legit partner for Petro.

You can't possible shelter Colaiacovo's minutes when he's playing with the guy who will routinely lead the D in even strength ice time.

I think this guy is just not good. His decision making his slow and his mobility is just awful which Detroit really exposed when any right winger came down to his side.

He can be an asset on the power play and that's where his positive impact ends.

As for the game, Anaheim does not play very structured and they've been giving up a ton of goals...the Blues offense will have a lot of chances tonight to put goals on the board.
I actually have been much more impressed by Cola this year vs. last year. Seemed like he jumped to get in odd man rushes a whole lot more last year, which (if we didnt score on it) usually meant an odd man rush going back the other way. He's been much less flashy/risky this year, but I feel like he's shored of the defensive side of his game more. Right now, I'd be disappointed if we didn't retain him next year, but there's 50+ games for him to change my mind.

Last edited by wilco5886: 12-08-2011 at 01:31 PM. Reason: grammar
wilco5886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:51 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
And from what I see, Cole does no do it for me. I am much happier with Russell than Cole. Cole in my opinion makes more silly mistaks than Russell and I feel Russell has been playing better overall.

Russell has also been in the NHL for several seasons and Cole has played less than a full season's worth of experience at the NHL level.I have no problems with Russell, but at some point Cole needs to be put in the lineup on a nightly basis and let him develop. Sure he's going to make some mistakes, but then we will also get some games like against the Pens out of him too. When are the Blues going to take the training wheels off for Cole?

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:54 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
In years past we had the problem of having not enough NHL caliber players. I think it goes without saying, I much prefer these roster "problems" then the ones we had in years past.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:27 PM
jimmykay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
In years past we had the problem of having not enough NHL caliber players. I think it goes without saying, I much prefer these roster "problems" then the ones we had in years past.
yeah, it wasn't so long ago that we were practically the St. Louis Rivermen.

jimmykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
I find it ironic that hours after the Angels signed Albert Pujols away, the St. Louis Blues will play the Anaheim Ducks.

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 02:49 PM
BigB
We Want Big Macs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
I find it ironic that hours after the Angels signed Albert Pujols away, the St. Louis Blues will play the Anaheim Ducks.
I found great amusement in this as well!