HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #28: Anaheim Ducks @ St. Louis Blues 7:00 CDT

Old
12-08-2011, 02:55 PM
BigB
We Want Big Macs!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
Russell has also been in the NHL for several seasons and Cole has played less than a full season's worth of experience at the NHL level.I have no problems with Russell, but at some point Cole needs to be put in the lineup on a nightly basis and let him develop. Sure he's going to make some mistakes, but then we will also get some games like against the Pens out of him too. When are the Blues going to take the training wheels off for Cole?
That is very true and I do lose sight of that... the different levels of NHL experience. I do know there are a lot of Cole supporters too so I do not mean to offend those who do enjoy what he has to offer. From my experience, I don't see him growing into what we hope. Perhaps he does need time on the ice with NHL, but at what expense on our roster? Colaiacovo? Could work for me if that is the case... Colaiacovo is an injury prone risk and in my opinion should be released/traded. Perhaps that would free up a bit of cash and give Cole the time needed since it is an exchange of Left D's.

BigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:17 PM
BlueSinceBirth

vCash: 500
It's good to have depth and in no way should we trade Cola away and deplete that. I like Russell and he has been pretty impressive but I don't understand how people don't see the potential in Cole. Cole's offensive game will show more if he gets a full season and maybe some time on the PP, guy has got a cannon.

BlueSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:37 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Big win tonight...

Blues 4
Ducks 3

Edit: Hope we destroy them after the Pujols offer!

Last edited by CarvinSigX: 12-08-2011 at 03:52 PM.
CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Jzk

vCash: 4000
Have any of you even watched Cole play? Yeah everyone see the game differently but the guy doesn't really have a hole in his game. He still doesn't have a lot of polish but that will only come when he can actually play. He's every bit as physical as Jackman tho not as strong, makes good outlet passes, isn't a liability with the puck, a decent to good skater, and has a hard shot. He should be getting second pairing minutes at this point anything else and it's hurting his development.

Russell has some great speed and a knack to get the puck in the net but he isn't a long term solution to the gaping hole we have on the left side either.

Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 04:15 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
He's been in a number 2 role with Petro, and hasn't done anything to warrant me complaining about him.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 04:24 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzk View Post
Have any of you even watched Cole play? Yeah everyone see the game differently but the guy doesn't really have a hole in his game. He still doesn't have a lot of polish but that will only come when he can actually play. He's every bit as physical as Jackman tho not as strong, makes good outlet passes, isn't a liability with the puck, a decent to good skater, and has a hard shot. He should be getting second pairing minutes at this point anything else and it's hurting his development.

Russell has some great speed and a knack to get the puck in the net but he isn't a long term solution to the gaping hole we have on the left side either.
I don't understand this reply. How many people here are complaining about Cole? He's been solid. Your claim that Cole is a valuable player is fine, it's the claim that playing Russell handicaps them that is unrealistic.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Jzk

vCash: 4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
I don't understand this reply. How many people here are complaining about Cole? He's been solid. Your claim that Cole is a valuable player is fine, it's the claim that playing Russell handicaps them that is unrealistic.
There have been a few complaints about Cole. Russell's game isn't an upgrade over Cole now or in the long run thus the handicap comment.

Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 05:13 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
There have been a few complaints about Cole. Russell's game isn't an upgrade over Cole now or in the long run thus the handicap comment.
I don't think you can really say Russell isn't an upgrade because they play different styles. Neither one has played bad this season, so I don't understand why people talk bad about either one. You can never have enough NHL defensemen, especially when one of them is as injury prone as Colaiacovo. Cole will go to the minors because he can. Cole will be up next season, but for the rest of this season, I want as much depth as possible.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 05:32 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
If those complaints are elsewhere on this forum, I've missed them. I'm not going to ask you to show me these complaints from elsewhere on the forum, but I just read every single post in this thread, and only one poster, BigB, has said anything negative about Cole.

And there's a difference between "not an upgrade" and "handicap."

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 07:03 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

No Shattenkirk tonight (flu), so I expect Cole will start as well as Russell.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 07:07 PM
I BLEED BLUE

Last second GTD here

Blues - 4 (Backes, Oshie, Berglund, Perron)
Ducks - 1 (Ryan)

I BLEED BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 07:14 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Did you guys see that sweet move by Oshie on the backhand chance on his first shift? That's Tarasenko a LOT.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 07:21 PM
BigB
We Want Big Macs!

That's correct, I believe I am the only one not sold by Cole. My opinion and mine alone.

The Duck's goalie doesn't look sharp at all. I am expecting several Blues goals tonight.

Old
12-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Stang

goallllllll!

haha porter was like "oh u dont want to cover the puck mr goalie? ok THANKS"

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 07:24 PM
BigB
We Want Big Macs!

LMAO! "Porter sniffs it out" The puck was by the goalies butt. I found great amusement in that!

Old
12-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Alklha

Nice play from Porter, even if it isn't a pretty goal. Been a good start all round though.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Did you guys see that sweet move by Oshie on the backhand chance on his first shift? That's Tarasenko a LOT.

totally

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 07:28 PM
BlueBeard

I'm liking the way the Porter-Sobotka-Langs line looks. It's a nice mix of speed and grit.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 07:29 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
The Blues (especially their "skill" guys) have been doing a much job of finding/creating space for themselves as the season has progressed. The offense still hasn't exploded (relatively speaking) in terms of results, but there's a lot of evidence in their offensive zone play to support optimism that it will in the near-ish future.

Old
12-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Stang

that damn bobby ryan

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 07:34 PM
BigB
We Want Big Macs!

I go to the bathroom and come back to a tied game. UGH!

Old
12-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Fred Murtz

Porter goal

Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Fred Murtz

Ryan goal

Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 07:45 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Am I the only guy who doesn't like running complete forward lines on the PP just so that we can have our forward lines intact to get the matchup we want after the PP is over? Wouldn't it be more important to, I don't know...give yourself the best chance you can to score on the PP?

Old
12-08-2011, 07:47 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

If an Earth-killing asteroid were spotted and scientists concluded that the only way to avert disaster was the Blues to fix their power play ... it's been a nice run, Earth.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote