HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cheering for the Other Guys: Are they Witches?

Old
12-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Prot

vCash: 500
Cheering for the Other Guys: Are they Witches?

I was thinking a lot about this during the Bruins game (which I attended), and saw all those Bruins jerseys out there.

There is no doubt the Bruins game brought out what I believe is the largest showing of the other team's jerseys. There wasn't a ton, but obviously in a sea of blue, that brown/yellow is going to stick out.

Then on the way to work this morning Troy Westwood (1290 TSN Radio) was talking about this and I found I was, shockingly, in complete agreement with him.

Troy, like me, was a big N.Y. Rangers fan. During Jet's 1.0 days, I cheered the Jets on, but loved the Rangers..... Tony Amonte, Richter, Graves, Leech, etc, etc, etc. Those were fine days.

Now that the team has come back, I can't fathom doing that again. So I have trouble seeing how other 'Jet's fans' can.

After losing the team all those years ago, it was such a blow to the community, and to hockey in general here, that I just can't imagine doing it again.

Now it feels like I cheated on an awesome wife for a 2 night a year 'one night stand' that really just likes you for your money.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciated Jets 1.0 but now after all those years gone, and with Jets 2.0 I've noticed it changed me.

I find that I cannot tolerate booing the Jets. I would rather not cheer than boo them. Trust me, silence is 'deafening' in that arena. If it's quiet, they know.

And second, I can't wear other team colours. Just can't do it.

What do you guys think? Do you 'cheat' on the Jets? Or do you consider it checking out a hot babe walking by, but staying true to your significant other?

I used to think I was the type who lived by- 'Hey, just because you're on a diet doesn't mean you can't look at the menu.' But wearing another jersey feels like downright adultery to me now.

Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Ziggy66

I used to cheer for Ottawa after the Jets 1.0 left. Would I wear an Ottawa jersey to a Jets 2.0 v.s. Ottawa game? No. Absolutly not. I probably wouldnt boo Ottawa but I wouldnt cheer for them either. I still do watch them play and cheer for them as long as they are not playing the Jets.

As for the bruins fans. It all depends I guess. My cousin has been a bruin fan since he was 6 years old. He has season tickets with my other cousin and cheers on the Jets and wears a Jets jersey. He was at this game and was wearing his B's jersey as it is his team and always has been his team. I see nothing wrong with this.

The Bs are an original team so their fan base will be strong and vast. You will see the same whenever the canadians are back in town as well.

As for booing our team...never absolutly not. Next game for me is not until January

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 08:42 AM
shaunhil

I agree with the fact that it is really hard to not cheer for the jets. When I look at the 'traders' I think to myself 'have they any common sense?'. The answer to that would either they feel they are being loyal to there long time team and don't want to come across and bandwagon jumpers.

The select few that can't be humble and have to reply with non-playoff team comments etc. Those are the fans that I do not understand at all. It's almost like they would rather not have the chance to watch there team to sound witty, funny or plain dumb. If you are in the 204 area and don't support the jets, I just assume you have a few screws loose.

I have come across the hardcore Jets haters though. A person I know wanted to take his brothers to the Jets game for christmas and got offered 4 side by sides from the in-laws for $50 bucks a seat. Apparently that's to expensive to see any other team than the Canucks. Like I said...no common sense.

shaunhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 08:44 AM
Wardo8551

I always said I'm a Habs fan till the day we get a team back, so I'm with you!

I feel like I need to cleanse my house of my Habs merchandise, it feels wrong to still own it. Haha.

Now some may say then I wasn't really a Habs fan, but I don't know if that is true. I wasn't the hugest Habs fan to ever walk this earth, but they definitely were my team. But one thing is for sure: once playoffs rolled around, although I would be cheering for my Habs, I had the most massive Jets withdrawals ever. I knew if we ever got a team back, they would be my team.

Wardo8551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Yukon Joe

It used to be much, much worse of course. During the Jets 1.0 era Toronto or Montreal coming to town the Jets would pretty much be the visitors, and it was almost as bad for the other original six teams. I was quite happy to see that on Tuesday there were only a few Bruins sweaters on display.

But that being said, people have their own reasons, and in particular in this era of the internet and NHL Centre Ice you don't have to follow the local team. I live in Edmonton now, but I have no intention of switching to being an Oilers fan, and I'll proudly wear a Jets sweater if I can manage to get tickets at Rexall when Winnipeg comes to town...

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:10 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Disagree with you. Some of these people were fans of their teams before there was a Jets, when there was a Jets 1.0, when there was no longer a Jets. Why should they stop cheering for a team they were fans of for over 30 years cause a new team came to town.

My dad moved to Canada the 60's as a teenager. He didn't know hockey. As he learned the game he cheered for the Canadiens. To say he has to now cheer for the Jets over the team he's cheered for for over 40 years is ludicrous imho.

I don't fault someone for switching alliances but I can't fault someone for not switching either.

For the record I picked up habs fandom from my father but they were always my secondary rooting interest. I refer to the Jets as my wife team and the Habs as my gf team. (That and my fiance being from montreal I don't have a choice)

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Huffer

vCash: 625
This thread probably won't go well......

Anyway, like Yukon Joe said, during the Jets 1.0 days it was much worse. It seemed like there were people back then who instead of cheering for the Jets, cheered for other teams because it wasn't "cool" to be a Jets fan. Sort of a self loathing thing. Those guys were annoying.

Today we are seeing a little bit more pride in Winnipeggers. Pride in the city, optimism for the future, etc. It's great to see Winnipeggers embracing the Jets, and making the visiting fans, and Winnipeggers cheering for the visitors the minority.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

In theory I have no problem with Winnipeggers cheering for any team they want to, but realistically I have to admit it breaks my heart a bit to watch a local person decked out in the visting teams colours stand up and go bananas when the visiting team scores.

I hate that it bothers me so much, but it does.

I've been in situations in other cities where I'm cheering for the away team and I prefer the 'sit quietly and watch the game' approach.

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Aerial

At the end of the day, not everyone in a market is going to be fans of the home team. Example: I am a huge CFL fan, but the Bombers are easily my least favourite team in the CFL. I can and have cheered for my other faves when they come to town.

I realize the home-team aspect feels all kind of extra-special with the saga of losing the Jets 1.0 and getting Jets 2.0, and there's no doubt the new Jets have brought in a ton of new fans and earned the fandom of most of the old. (My dad is in his 70s and never cared about hockey in his life, or sports in general. Now he's using words like "deke," ordered TSN Jets and keeps asking me if I've seen any more players around the scene -- I make fun of him, but it's awesome.)

Still, it was never going to mean that all NHL fans in the market are going to be Jets fans first, second, or even at all. Probably lots of these folks have been die-hards of the Bruins, Flyers or what have you since long before 1996. And then you have a certain personality type that likes being the outsider, a bit, and tends to cheer for non-local teams.

That said, to my eye there were more Flyers fans at that game than Bruins fans on Tuesday, but it's hard to judge really.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:56 AM
WaveRaven

vCash: 350
It never ever bothered me during the Jets 1.0 days. At least those folks bought tickets I knew lots of so called Jets "Fans" that never did.

Also you had Bus tours from SSK back then so most them were cheeroing for TO or MTL. I remember 6-8 buses parked outside for those games.

WaveRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:08 AM
KBADCJET

I have no problem with this, BUT EXPECT to be heckled in your own building if you wear the opposing teams jersey!!

KBADCJET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:17 AM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBADCJET View Post
I have no problem with this, BUT EXPECT to be heckled in your own building if you wear the opposing teams jersey!!
The heckling has been pretty tame. The worst I heard on Tuesday was a guy in a Bruins jersey being told by someone that the Bruins washroom was actually the womens washroom and he was in the wrong line.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Wolf357

What Irks me the most is that this seems to be a Winnipeg thing. Yes it was way worse in the days of Jets 1.0 but the fact that it still exists really annoys me. I guarantee you that you would be hard pressed to find a born and raised Torontonian, Montrealer, Bostonian, or Edmontonian who isnt a Leafs, Habs, Bruins, or Oilers fan. But in Winnipeg for some reason its cool not to support the local team.
In the 80's/90's if you were asked what your favorite team was the answer would probably be Leafs, Habs, Bruins.....if pressed sure you would say that you also liked the Jets but you were a Leafs fan at heart.
I have no issue with someone who moved to Winnipeg and is still loyal to their team, and I applaude any fan who comes to Winnipeg and wears their Jersey with pride at the game.
However for someone born and raised in WInnipeg/Manitoba to proudly and vocally chear against his hometown, and wear another cities colours, in HIS arena...bogles my mind.
This isnt 1994 people....Its O.K to cheer for the Jets...and you know what? its actually the cool thing to do now.

Wolf357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Huffer

vCash: 625

I'm pretty sure that anyone not cheering for the Jets is in fact a witch. Now all we need to do is put them on a scale with a duck to make sure. (Or, we could build a bridge out of them)

Last edited by Huffer: 12-08-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:54 AM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf357 View Post
What Irks me the most is that this seems to be a Winnipeg thing. Yes it was way worse in the days of Jets 1.0 but the fact that it still exists really annoys me. I guarantee you that you would be hard pressed to find a born and raised Torontonian, Montrealer, Bostonian, or Edmontonian who isnt a Leafs, Habs, Bruins, or Oilers fan. But in Winnipeg for some reason its cool not to support the local team.
In the 80's/90's if you were asked what your favorite team was the answer would probably be Leafs, Habs, Bruins.....if pressed sure you would say that you also liked the Jets but you were a Leafs fan at heart.
I have no issue with someone who moved to Winnipeg and is still loyal to their team, and I applaude any fan who comes to Winnipeg and wears their Jersey with pride at the game.
However for someone born and raised in WInnipeg/Manitoba to proudly and vocally chear against his hometown, and wear another cities colours, in HIS arena...bogles my mind.
This isnt 1994 people....Its O.K to cheer for the Jets...and you know what? its actually the cool thing to do now.
I know plenty of Montrealers or Torontonians who hate their hometown teams. It's not a "Winnipeg" thing.

The way I see it, I'm buying tickets, I'm investing in the team, buying new Jets stuff, and all that, but for one game out of 44 this year I might wear another jersey. Even then it'll probably go away with time, but it's difficult to throw away 15+ years of cheering for a team (even before the Jets left, really) all at once.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Prot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
The heckling has been pretty tame. The worst I heard on Tuesday was a guy in a Bruins jersey being told by someone that the Bruins washroom was actually the womens washroom and he was in the wrong line.
As a side note to this thread, I sat beside a much worse situation that I won't repeat here. I will say it was a much more... 'aggressive' stance the Jets fan took on the Bruins' fan.

But that being said, I did see a lot of what I would call good natured ribbing.

A LOT of the Bruins fans in my section did indeed get heckled though.

Old
12-08-2011, 11:02 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stej View Post
In theory I have no problem with Winnipeggers cheering for any team they want to, but realistically I have to admit it breaks my heart a bit to watch a local person decked out in the visting teams colours stand up and go bananas when the visiting team scores.

I hate that it bothers me so much, but it does.

I've been in situations in other cities where I'm cheering for the away team and I prefer the 'sit quietly and watch the game' approach.
I'm with you. If i'm in an opposing teams rink and cheering for the away team I'd keep the cheering to polite claping. Overblown cheering and showboating for the away team lacks a bit of class and is inciteful imo.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:03 AM
White Pine

Non, issue, this happens everywhere. as long as you can get the 15,000 every night!

White Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Prot

I just thought I would add that there -is- a difference between someone coming in from out of town to get the Winnipeg 'experience' and an actual Winnipegger wearing opposing colours on game night.

To me this is a big difference. I have no issue with people visiting, and having fun here. I'm seeing more and more people wanting to follow their team to Winnipeg, and it's obvious why.

I'm specifically talking about those guys that are choosing an opposing team over their hometeam.

Like I said, I used to be a huge Ranger fan. I don't know if it's because the Jets left for so long, but I just can't do it anymore. There's something about it that just seems wrong to me.

It's all joy and 'who cares' right now, but in 15 years are we going to be discussing who to cheer and who to jeer? Are we going to be seeing 15K every night?

We better be. I guess that's my fear. And on a moral level missing your hometeam for 15 years does make you question where your loyalties lie.

For the record, I went with a friend to the Bruins game who was a VERY long time Bruins fan. I don't dislike him for his decision, I just don't understand it considering the history in here and Jets 2.0.

My friend was very careful not too get too loud (like I said, we had an incident above us that got a bit ugly.) My friend did take a lot of ribbing though and he was good with it.

I will tell you I think I sensed a bit of guilt with him though. I truly believe after that game he questioned his loyalty.

Old
12-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Benny27

I was a Flyer fan since 87 along with Jets 1.0...when the the Jets left i became an even bigger Flyer fan...Now that the Jets are back the Flyers take a back seat. I don't care that i've cheered for just the Flyers for 15 yrs. I'll check and see how they are doing still but i have not worn my Flyer hat or any clothing since the season started.

When i go to the Flyer game in Feb i will not be cheering for the Flyers....

Benny27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:13 AM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

I'm a proud Winnipegger, but I lived in Vancouver when the Canucks went to the cup in 1994 and that's when I became a fan of hockey. And especially with going through last year's runand sticking through the awful Keenan dark days; I will never turn my back on them. However, there is no way in H-E- double hockey sticks I won't support the Jets.

I have no issue with people supporting other teams. I will heckle you when I'm there though. However, when you're wearing Jets gear and cheering for the other team you can kindly **** off.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Aerial

Quote:
However for someone born and raised in WInnipeg/Manitoba to proudly and vocally chear against his hometown, and wear another cities colours, in HIS arena...bogles my mind..
The thing is though, people become fans through different ways -- it's mostly geographic, but not entirely. Some people become fans by following their favourite player to a team, and may become so attached to the team they stay after the player has left. Others have family connections with a team in various ways. Others just become fans of the team who's brand and identity they like the most. There is absolutely no shortage of Jets fans in Winnipeg -- don't worry about it, seriously.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Lux Aurumque*

I could never cheer for any team against the Jets. The only team that might come close at all is the Oilers.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:27 AM
videofarmer
thirsty

Quote:
It's definitely not just a Winnipeg thing. There were Redwings and Penguins games down here in Atlanta where it felt like half the crowd was wearing the other team's jerseys. At least those fans up there are wearing their Bruins jerseys to those games, but coming back in Jets gear when their favorite team isn't there. Down here Rangers, Sabres, Leafs and Habs fans would only come to the games when their hometown teams were playing and couldn't be bothered with the Thrashers the rest of the season. You can handle a few fans in opposing jerseys. I'm sure the players haven't even noticed them...

videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:32 AM
StaticPrevails

I will be wearing my whalers jersey at the carolina game on friday opnly because i want that team back in Hartford.

i hope you can all understand

StaticPrevails is offline   Reply With Quote