HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

How's Pietrangelo playing

Old
12-08-2011, 08:48 AM
odessa

vCash: 500
How's Pietrangelo playing

Hi!

How well Alex has played this season? Is there any chance that he could be as dominant player in near future (next 4 years) as Pronger?

Who would be safest bet as a top pairing defence man for coming years, Pietrangelo, Subban or Carlson?

odessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:13 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Petro has been rock solid defensively this year. However, I don't think he will get the hype he deserves. Petro's game is very cerebral, which doesn't exactly wow you. I associate his style of play to Lidstrom. Not that he is at the same level. Lidstrom didn't get a lot of love defensively until fans grew to understand his game. Considering that Lidstrom plays such a smart game, it is hard to see how well he reads plays with a quick glance. I think the same can be said about Petro.

In terms of physicality, he isn't the most active guy. Yet, he picks his points extremely well. Petro positions himself in a way that he does not need to play the body to be effective. He uses his very effective hand eye coordination to strip the puck off a defender's stick. Plus, by not going for big checks, he puts himself in a position to quickly and smoothly transition the puck up ice. MacInnis did this very well too.

On the offensive side of things, Petro has not been near as flashy, compared to last year. He still makes some incredible plays, but he is obviously much more focused on stopping the opposition's top players. Once he gets more accustom to shutting down the opposition he will begin to really blossom offensively. His offensive talent is just too good for him to remain at his current pace. We have seen signs of him starting to pick it up offensively lately. Its only a matter of time.

Right now Petro is a top pairing defenseman.

As for choosing between the three... I would have to say Petro for all the above reasons. He also has the ability to get much better, which to be honest is almost unfathomable given his level of play so far.
For me, Subban is much too inconsistent for my liking. Some games he looks solid and others he makes some not too wise decisions. As for Carlson, he is a great young player, much like Subban, but I don't think he has the top end potential of a Petro, Doughty or Weber.

Last edited by Celtic Note: 12-08-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:29 AM
odessa

I wonder how big contract he will get after EL. 5 million cap hit is too much or is it gonna go over 5 millions? I would bet around 4,5 mil. and 4 or 5 years.

odessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:40 AM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelayah View Post
I wonder how big contract he will get after EL. 5 million cap hit is too much or is it gonna go over 5 millions? I would bet around 4,5 mil. and 4 or 5 years.
That actually sounds about right. If they go for the longer contract they may be able to cut a deal like this. With the confidence they've shown in Pietro, I think it's safe to say he could easily end up be a franchise defender for us. We're still lacking that top LHD, but hopefully with the new ownership that'll change.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:51 AM
stlweir

As the Blues offense heats up we'll see Petro's number increase as well.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:34 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
As the Blues offense heats up we'll see Petro's number increase as well.
I remember at the draft, they said he was all offense and could become a defensive liability, but he has developed into a well-round responsible defenseman

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Pie Man
A-Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I remember at the draft, they said he was all offense and could become a defensive liability, but he has developed into a well-round responsible defenseman
Hmmmm ya sure? All I remember from the draft with Pie is that the director of CSB said he got the most top end potential of all prospect in the 2008 draft... if he reach it, and so far so good.

Pie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:56 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample XIX View Post
Hmmmm ya sure? All I remember from the draft with Pie is that the director of CSB said he got the most top end potential of all prospect in the 2008 draft... if he reach it, and so far so good.
That's my recollection. Pietro was viewed as highest upside, but with more development to go through to get there. Doughty and Bogosian were supposed to be closer to NHL-ready. I remember some Blues fans were advocating taking Schenn instead.

Personally, even I'm pretty glad the Blues didn't end up with Bogosian.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:57 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Ok maybe I should have said relative to the other big defenseman at the top, Doughty, Bogosian, and Schenn. I thought they said he had the biggest potential, but was also the biggest risk out of the 4. Maybe I'm wrong, either way it doesn't matter, he has developed tremendously and has become everything that we have wanted him to become.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
That's my recollection. Pietro was viewed as highest upside, but with more development to go through to get there. Doughty and Bogosian were supposed to be closer to NHL-ready. I remember some Blues fans were advocating taking Schenn instead.

Personally, even I'm pretty glad the Blues didn't end up with Bogosian.
I am glad we didn't end up with Schenn or Bogosian. Petro has the makings of an elite defenseman. Schenn however is missing that offensive element that we really need. Bogosian just hasen't lived up to his billing.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:26 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

I would take Pietrangelo over any of the defensemen, Doughty included.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:35 PM
Pie Man
A-Pie

Quote:
Ok maybe I should have said relative to the other big defenseman at the top, Doughty, Bogosian, and Schenn. I thought they said he had the biggest potential, but was also the biggest risk out of the 4. Maybe I'm wrong, either way it doesn't matter, he has developed tremendously and has become everything that we have wanted him to become.
Yes, but that risk is minimium now

Old
12-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Pie Man
A-Pie

Quote:
I would take Pietrangelo over any of the defensemen, Doughty included.
Well me too, but that because Pie is one of my favorite player. But realistic, Doughty is better... right now anyway. But at the end of the year and next year, Im very realistic Pie will be better than DD.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:47 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Well me too, but that because Pie is one of my favorite player. But realistic, Doughty is better... right now anyway. But at the end of the year and next year, Im very realistic Pie will be better than DD.
Production wise Doughty isn't any better. Pietrangelo is way more mature. It makes no sense that Doughty's numbers are declining and I don't think Doughty is better, even right now. Doughty has been on the ice for 6 goals for and on the ice for 10 goals against during 5 on 5 play. Production wise, Pietrangelo is a better defenseman this season.

Old
12-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Pie Man
A-Pie

Quote:
Production wise Doughty isn't any better. Pietrangelo is way more mature. It makes no sense that Doughty's numbers are declining and I don't think Doughty is better, even right now. Doughty has been on the ice for 6 goals for and on the ice for 10 goals against during 5 on 5 play. Production wise, Pietrangelo is a better defenseman this season.
Hey, ya dont need to convince me Im wearing very thick Pie glasses hehehe

Old
12-08-2011, 01:07 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
I agree that Pietrangelo is better now but he also gets the benefit of playing behind Steen-Backes-Oshie a good deal and that is going to help anyone out. The Kings can't roll out a line that good defensively.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:54 PM
Pie Man
A-Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
I agree that Pietrangelo is better now but he also gets the benefit of playing behind Steen-Backes-Oshie a good deal and that is going to help anyone out. The Kings can't roll out a line that good defensively.
Yes but they can roll out a better offensive line.

Old
12-08-2011, 03:17 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
As a line? Maybe not, but Kopitar, Richards, and Gagne, among others, are great defensively. Pretty much no line in the NHL can match the two way play of Steen-Backes-Oshie.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 04:24 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
As a line? Maybe not, but Kopitar, Richards, and Gagne, among others, are great defensively. Pretty much no line in the NHL can match the two way play of Steen-Backes-Oshie.
I'm not saying what LA has is bad by any means but like you said not many can match that line's two way play(the only one I can think of is when the Wings run Datsyuk and Zetterberg on the same line). While I think Pietrangelo is really good defensively, the stats may over exaggerate his individual impact a little bit. Just like I would say Doughty having the players in front of him would slant his stats a bit more on the offensive side of things.

If we're getting to the point where to start comparing Pietrangelo to the upper echelon of d-men then we need to be as fair and objective as possible about it.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Watch Pietrangelo with the puck and then watch Doughty with the puck (in their own zone). Watch how Pietrangelo moves the puck out and how Doughty does it.

Petro is 10x more composed and calm than Doughty right now and he's the better dman atm too.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:44 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Watch Pietrangelo with the puck and then watch Doughty with the puck (in their own zone). Watch how Pietrangelo moves the puck out and how Doughty does it.

Petro is 10x more composed and calm than Doughty right now and he's the better dman atm too.
Exactly, Pietrangelo is so composed, he makes it look effortless. I know we took a lot of heat in the off season from other fans for saying how good Pietrangelo is, but I'm glad fans from other teams are starting to realize how good he is.

Old
12-09-2011, 01:48 AM
Pie Man
A-Pie

When I said that DD is better than Pie right now and now some of your guys are saying Im wrong... well Im very happy to be wrong in this matter

Old
12-09-2011, 11:11 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

I'm not convinced Doughty is better, when comparing them today. But I don't watch Doughty in every game....and I got a strong negative impression from his playoff performance.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:12 PM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

Quote:
When I said that DD is better than Pie right now and now some of your guys are saying Im wrong... well Im very happy to be wrong in this matter
Doughty is better... not for the money though.

trevorftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:58 PM
The Note
Expectations: Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorftw View Post
Doughty is better... not for the money though.
Last year I'd be inclined to agree with you. But at this point I'm not so sure this is the case anymore salaries aside.

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote