HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

How's Pietrangelo playing

Old
12-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
One of the unspoken keys to the Russell deal, though, might be what happens after this year when Jackman, Colaiacovo, and Huskins all hit FA. He can slide into the top 6 comfortably if needed, be that #7 guy, or whatever depending on how the offseason shakes out and you don't really need to worry about him. If the Blues spent some money to upgrade their LHD (i.e. Suter) and rolled with Cole and Russell rounding out their top 6, I would be very comfortable with that. Pick up a little cheap depth to round out the #7-#9 defensive slots and you're good to go. Even a Jackman, Cole, Russell trio wouldn't be the end of the world...we've already seen that it can work just fine. The depth would be more important, though.[/B]
This is a good point and I have thought about it a bit. It seems that by making that move, Armstrong was conceeding one or both of Cola and Jax will be departing this offseason (or sooner). According to Strickland, the Blues are looking for a veteran LHD who can play 25 min a night if need be and play in all situations. I know Strickland's word means little to some, but most of us have long believed this to be the case (maybe not so much the vet part).

To come back to your point, a move like this would likely mean one of our current D moves the other way, or at the vary least...in the offseason. Regardless of such an aquisition, we are still likely to loose a D man this offseason, especially with Cole ready for duty. Given the injury troubles of Cola (despite his better play), I think he is the man out.

A LH group of Cole, Russell and Jax would not be terrible, but it wouldn't be much better than what we have now. However, freeing up salary space with the departure of Cola and Jax would allow us to sign or trade for a top pairing LHD. Should that player be able to be on the top PP, then Russell could man the 2nd PP.

Another secnario could include us using Russell as part of a package to bring in that Dman we covet or it he could be moved as part of an upgrade. For example, a Matt Carle type player. (I am aware he is a UFA, just speaking of the type of player)

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 05:05 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
If he can step in and play like a legitimate NHL defender when he's needed (and regardless of what any given individual thinks about the specifics of his play, I think that most of us can agree that he's at least doing that much), and the team can afford to pay him, then I don't have any problem with having a $1.3 million player sitting in the pressbox (whether it's Russell, or Cole, or Huskins...all of whom have about the same cap hit). Having him around, and Cole in Peoria, are two reasons why we're humming right along in spite of missing a great deal of time from Colaiacovo and Huskins. We've been down to #8 deep on our defensive depth chart (#9 if you count the single game Fairchild played) and for the most part the defensive play hasn't missed a beat. That's outstanding, and well worth an extra 700k or so.

One of the unspoken keys to the Russell deal, though, might be what happens after this year when Jackman, Colaiacovo, and Huskins all hit FA. He can slide into the top 6 comfortably if needed, be that #7 guy, or whatever depending on how the offseason shakes out and you don't really need to worry about him. If the Blues spent some money to upgrade their LHD (i.e. Suter) and rolled with Cole and Russell rounding out their top 6, I would be very comfortable with that. Pick up a little cheap depth to round out the #7-#9 defensive slots and you're good to go. Even a Jackman, Cole, Russell trio wouldn't be the end of the world...we've already seen that it can work just fine. The depth would be more important, though.

Nikitin was slated to be a RFA after this year, and if he was consistently sitting in the Blues pressbox as he was early in the season (or even worse, sent down to Peoria), then there's no telling whether he would sign up for another stint of that or take his business back to Russia...and I wouldn't blame him if he did.

If, for whatever reason, he had decided to leave...then all of a sudden you're looking at a pretty monumental offseason task on the defensive side of things with only 1 legitimate LHD under contract and zero NHL quality depth behind your top 4 (Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Polak, and Cole). Trading him for Russell eliminates that possibility. Not a bad buy for $700k, IMO.

For the record, I don't think that Nikitin's a "flight risk" now that he's playing consistently in Columbus...but I do think he'll be given a contract from them that pays him more than what Russell is currently making.
Chorney also played for the Blues. (Not sure if he factors into your depth chart...but they did go "deeper" by some calculations.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:39 AM
Pie Man
A-Pie

How's "Nikitin" playing

Pie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:05 AM
Robb_K

What a lot of posters forget is that Russell had 4 years as a solid regular-shift NHL defenceman before this year, and he's still only 24, andcheap, at $700,000. He's made a few mistakes (as all defencemen do, but has played well enough. His speed, moves, stickhandling and passing in his own makes up for his small size and lack of a bigger man's potential physical game. He was ready to play adequately, and fairly consistently (and a known quantity to Hitchcock). Nikitin was still a big question mark. I still like the trade. I don't see Nikitin developing into such a stud as to make us all regret that trade.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 01:47 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
What a lot of posters forget is that Russell had 4 years as a solid regular-shift NHL defenceman before this year, and he's still only 24, andcheap, at $700,000. He's made a few mistakes (as all defencemen do, but has played well enough. His speed, moves, stickhandling and passing in his own makes up for his small size and lack of a bigger man's potential physical game. He was ready to play adequately, and fairly consistently (and a known quantity to Hitchcock). Nikitin was still a big question mark. I still like the trade. I don't see Nikitin developing into such a stud as to make us all regret that trade.
Pretty much agreed with the point you're making but Russell makes $1.3M/year, not $700k.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 02:04 AM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Russell and Carlo's skills are pretty redundant, but Id prefer Carlo playing if I had a choice. I like his offensive skills more and I think he plays better in the defensive zone, especially with Petro. Russell is a capable NHL defenseman who has a fair amount of NHL playing time for a young player. He is dangerous in transition, but his play with the puck is underwhelming and he isnt very good in the defensive zone. But this defense lacks size and Id rather see Cole/Huskins than Russell. Hes our 4th offensive defenseman, and I think our PP might be better served by a forward getting his PP time and Cole/Huskins helping our PK a little more. IMO he was another player who was probably rushed by Columbus, but I think he will replace Carlo next season.

Im just hoping Cole gets his chance to prove himself in the NHL this season, his size and two way potential is something that this defense lacks right now. Im afraid Hitch will be too loyal to Russell, even if Cole/Huskins is outplaying him. Bottom line is that we have 7 capable NHL defensemen right now and 8 when Huskins returns, and they all offer a little something different. Not sure that this depth will be able to net us that other good vet defenseman that everyone around here wants unless we are willing to give up Cole plus more.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:39 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Pietrangelo snubbed by NHL.com. There's a poll on their site (lower right) reading:

Who is the best young two-way defenseman in the NHL?

John Carlson
Drew Doughty
Cam Fowler
Jack Johnson
Erik Karlsson
Tyler Myers
P.K. Subban

Those are the choices. Is that some kind of joke? The Kings and Sabres just posted friggin snowmen last night to teams Petro has shut down this season, by the way.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:43 AM
The Grouch
Enraged

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Pietrangelo snubbed by NHL.com. There's a poll on their site (lower right) reading:

John Carlson
Drew Doughty
Cam Fowler
Jack Johnson
Erik Karlsson
Tyler Myers
P.K. Subban

Those are the choices. Is that some kind of joke? The Kings and Sabres just posted friggin snowmen last night to teams Petro has shut down this season, by the way.

I just came here to post this... unbelievable!

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:49 AM
stlweir

A lot of good young defenseman on that list. Jack Johnson will be 25 in less than a month. He shouldn't be on the list, he's acouple years older than the rest. Pie should definitely be on the lsit, maybe Shattenkirk as well. Colorado fans can't be happy E J isn't on the list.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Stang

Quote:

John Carlson
Drew Doughty
Cam Fowler
Jack Johnson
Erik Karlsson
Tyler Myers
P.K. Subban

I saw that poll and and sat there staring at it like...Lol?

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:02 AM
The Note
Expectations: Low

Quote:

John Carlson
Drew Doughty
Cam Fowler
Jack Johnson
Erik Karlsson
Tyler Myers
P.K. Subban

Well Doughty and Fowler play in the LA/Anaheim region, And the rest on east coast/ canadian teams. I'd take Karlsson and Pietrangelo over the rest of them without thinking

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:58 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Maybe they'll remember his name better when its engraved on the Cup.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Thallis
We suck again!

Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:

John Carlson
Drew Doughty
Cam Fowler
Jack Johnson
Erik Karlsson
Tyler Myers
P.K. Subban

The problem is the majority of fans around the league don't know who he is because he plays in St. Louis.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
The problem is the majority of fans around the league don't know who he is because he plays in St. Louis.
Casual fans? Sure, but most fans should know who Pietrangelo is, they just never hear anything about him.

Personally, I don't really care. Ya he should be on the poll. I really hate hyping up players or teams, I would prefer no body talks about the Blues or our players when we are doing well until it's too late. I don't need attention or validation from around the league to know Pie is one of the best young D in the game. Trust me, they'll find out soon enough like someone said when his name is on the cup, or even the Norris.

Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 04:36 PM
oPlaiD

Every time I see this thread I think, "Like a boss"

So I'm just going to say it:

Like a boss.

oPlaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 05:15 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
I saw that poll and and sat there staring at it like...Lol?
I seriously didn't even like most of the choices, I was like you said 2-way right? Not guy who shoots hard and sucks in his own end when he isn't getting boarding penalties...

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by oPlaiD View Post

Like a boss.
LOL I just came here to post that!

I found this pic and was about to post it thinking I'd be the first one to have that idea...but u beat me to it

Old
12-19-2011, 01:49 AM
Bathcat
Wait, it was ATL?

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who saw that poll and was moving the cursor around looking for Pietrangelo's name. Then I thought "they probably meant the best young two-way defenseman on this list" and voted Doughty.

Bathcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 08:10 AM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by oPlaiD View Post

Like a boss.

Promote Synergy
Like a Boss

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
Promote Synergy
Like a Boss
Remember birthdays....LIKE A BOSS

Old
12-19-2011, 01:22 PM
stlweir

Did you see on the telecast the players bought Hitch a walker and had it sitting outside the dressing room with a bow on it?

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dangles View Post
Casual fans? Sure, but most fans should know who Pietrangelo is, they just never hear anything about him.

Personally, I don't really care. Ya he should be on the poll. I really hate hyping up players or teams, I would prefer no body talks about the Blues or our players when we are doing well until it's too late. I don't need attention or validation from around the league to know Pie is one of the best young D in the game. Trust me, they'll find out soon enough like someone said when his name is on the cup, or even the Norris.
How is he gonna win a Norris if he cant get the recognition he deserves nationally from places like NHL.com?

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:31 PM
inglouriousbackes

every time i see him on the ice it puts a smile on my face. How is EJ doing?

Well EJ isn't playing like a boss

inglouriousbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:32 PM
fcpremix88

vCash: 602
I think that Pietrangelo has become better defensively than he already was offensively.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:37 PM
kittensmasher
moe.ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
Did you see on the telecast the players bought Hitch a walker and had it sitting outside the dressing room with a bow on it?
I did see that, it was funny. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, and Hitch definitely seems to have a sense of humor, but the fact that the players felt comfortable getting him a gag gift like that when he hasn't even been coaching them for two months seems like more confirmation that the player/coach relationship here is strong.

kittensmasher is offline   Reply With Quote