HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

How's Pietrangelo playing

Old
12-31-2011, 10:29 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

vCash: 500
Question about Alex Pietrangelo

I don't watch all of the Blues games but was hoping all of you fans who do could tell me what has happened to Pietrangelo's offense? Last season he looked like he was going to emerge as one of the best young offensive defensemen in the NHL but this season he's produced hardly anything. What's going on?

Boxscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 10:39 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
I don't watch all of the Blues games but was hoping all of you fans who do could tell me what has happened to Pietrangelo's offense? Last season he looked like he was going to emerge as one of the best young offensive defensemen in the NHL but this season he's produced hardly anything. What's going on?
I really think it has to do with his increased role as a shutdown guy. He is more focused on defense than offense this year. This role is especially critical being as he is our best defenseman, playing on the top pairing with other defenders less defensively reliable.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 10:53 PM
h22prelude93

Also the fact that our forwards simply aren't producing like they should right now. If they were I'm sure he'd have quit a few more A's, but I think goal wise he's still about on pace for what most people expected.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:49 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
The PP sucks
Hitch is preaching a D first system
His partners have been mostly defensive liabilities putting him in a shut down roll rather than a free-wheeling one

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 12:21 AM
Kloparren
Hth

Hahah lots of Pietrangelo fantasy GMs that seem a bit worried. Relax, he's not gonna produce offense on his own like Karlsson or Letang or Enstrom but if you watch him, he's playing a great game and will be good for 40+ pts going into the future.

I think it's the same problem as Doughty has had where the d stayed at the blue-line and the forwards crashed and worked around the net so the puck would never be passed around to the D except on the PP. Wouldn't worry.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 01:41 AM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
The Blues got shutout tonight and scored 1 goal last night. Have many points do you expect him to have when the offense sucks ?

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
The Blues got shutout tonight and scored 1 goal last night. Have many points do you expect him to have when the offense sucks ?
That;s sort of my question to all you guys who watch the Blues very closely.....is Pietrangelo just not taking chances or putting enough emphasis on his offensive role or is the team as a whole just snake bitten? Ive watched Pietrangelo in the past go end to end and help generate the offense. If he's just sitting back now and not taking chances that could be a part of the reason the offense sucks.

Boxscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 01:07 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

He's definitely focusing far more on defense because his defensive partner Colaiacovo is poor defensively. Which is why when some Blues fans object to adding defense they fail to realize the best player on the team's talent is being far from maximized.

He's having a huge impact on games and is consistently one of the Blues' best players. He still pinches frequently. The Blues just have one line of offense and the rest is third/fourth line talent who score scatteringly. To get on the scoresheet he pretty much has to be out there when the Backes line is or he's probably coming up dry.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 02:23 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

Quote:
That;s sort of my question to all you guys who watch the Blues very closely.....is Pietrangelo just not taking chances or putting enough emphasis on his offensive role or is the team as a whole just snake bitten? Ive watched Pietrangelo in the past go end to end and help generate the offense. If he's just sitting back now and not taking chances that could be a part of the reason the offense sucks.

I think it is a case of being snake bitten, and the Blues' overall lack of offense. He seems to be as offensively dangerous as he's ever been(he has hit a ridiculous number of posts so far this season), however the Blues as a team are currently 24th(2.50) in goals per game, last season they finished 10th(2.88). Also the St. Louis Powerplay has been atrocious. Pietrangelo is on exactly the same goal scoring pace he finished with last season(.14), but his assists per game have gone from .41 to .16.

I can understand why someone would be worried about Pietrangelo's offense, however I don't personally have any concern about it at all, I think he'll be just fine.

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:34 AM
Deko

How big/long contract do you think Pietrangelo will get next summer? I would assume Armstrong wants to get the most important deal done before the new season starts.

Petro is currently in a nice point streak, last 7 games with 11 eleven points.

Deko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:53 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Extend this kid for a LONG time, if you don't mind Mr. Armstrong.
I'm not a fan of the big contracts that have been given out by GM's over the past few years, but a hefty 10+ year deal for Pietrangelo would make me a happy guy.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 06:05 AM
BDEuph
Hotty Toddy

Not SUre if this is right or popular, but the org let Petro develop properly in the OHL unlike EJ with only 1 year of NCAA. I may not know much about player development, but if EJ had 2 more yars at Minnesota, he would have been a much, much, much better player for it.

Learn form your mistakes i guess.

BDEuph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 06:07 AM
BDEuph
Hotty Toddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
Extend this kid for a LONG time, if you don't mind Mr. Armstrong.
I'm not a fan of the big contracts that have been given out by GM's over the past few years, but a hefty 10+ year deal for Pietrangelo would make me a happy guy.
I think he can be that organizational rock like MacInnis or Niewiendyk (sp?) or Hatcher. Lock him up for 10+ years and make a place for 27 in the rafters. I dont get named jerseys, but I may buy 2 new home sweaters...#42 & #27

BDEuph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:29 AM
SneakerPimp82

Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDEuph View Post
Not SUre if this is right or popular, but the org let Petro develop properly in the OHL unlike EJ with only 1 year of NCAA. I may not know much about player development, but if EJ had 2 more yars at Minnesota, he would have been a much, much, much better player for it.

I don't believe an extra year in the NCAA would have helped EJ. He could've played immediately after being drafted by all reports so he already had an NHL game and body. I think it's safe to say that the knee injury and subsequent year off from hockey did more damage than anything else, but then again who knows how things would've worked out? Either way, it's in the past.

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:19 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDEuph View Post

Yeah, if only EJ had stayed at Minnesota and missed that golf trip...

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 07:17 AM
execwrite

Pietrangelo and only two other NHL defensemen -- former Norris Trophy winners Nicklas Lidstrom and Zdeno Chara -- have at least seven goals and a plus-minus rating of plus-14 or higher this season.

Read more here: http://www.bnd.com/2012/01/20/202399...#storylink=cpy

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Pietrangelo and only two other NHL defensemen -- former Norris Trophy winners Nicklas Lidstrom and Zdeno Chara -- have at least seven goals and a plus-minus rating of plus-14 or higher this season.

Read more here: http://www.bnd.com/2012/01/20/202399...#storylink=cpy
Petros last line there (along with the play of Cola) has me thinking its gonna be hard to make decisions on keeping both Cola and Jax.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 01:55 PM
Beastman*

Pietrangelo is playing like a "beast" lately!

Beastman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:15 AM
odessa
Ima Firen Mah Lazar

Petro turns to Shea Weber mode next season?

odessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by odessa View Post
Petro turns to Shea Weber mode next season?
Maybe the transformation has already begun. Last 9 games: 3-10-13

As the article stated, he's the highest scoring d-man in the league since 1/3/12.

(That's an 82-game pace of 27-91-118)

Last edited by Stealth JD: 01-22-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Pie Man
A-Pie

The Pies keep getting delivered... as ordered

Pie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:45 PM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

I believe it now. Pietrangelo is our star player. If the guy doesn't have some major setback (injury) he's going to be one of the greats here in STL.

With the depth we have on this team, I'm not afraid of anyone going down for a little while EXCEPT pietrangelo.

trevorftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 01:53 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Pietrangelo is the egg mcmuffin of NHL defensemen

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Beastman*