HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Who would you trade?

Old
12-13-2011, 09:37 AM
dkollidas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
As neat as it would be to have both Staal's on the same team, not having any draft at all in 2012 is bad.
Yea but you've fixed the center situation for the next decade and all the other positions have great prospect depth, with the exception maybe of goaltender.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:17 PM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleD View Post
Alright I'll take your word for it, I did say I didn't think it couldn't be true.

I'm not sure if Roy could get them exactly what Richards and Carter got Philly, but I'd have to think he could get them something close. I don't think a center prospect with high end potential and a solid roster player are out of the question. Although I don't know if they could get a young player with upside like Voracek or Simmonds on top of that center prospect.
I agree that it would be tough to get as much back for him as Carter and Richards got but I would think its still close... If it was to get higher in the draft we could always add picks with Roy to get the "Couturier" of this years draft. I dunno who that would be or if it would even be possible, Columbus looking like they got owned in that trade might scare off a team from making the same mistake.

SECRET SQUIRREL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 04:19 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
I agree that it would be tough to get as much back for him as Carter and Richards got but I would think its still close... If it was to get higher in the draft we could always add picks with Roy to get the "Couturier" of this years draft. I dunno who that would be or if it would even be possible, Columbus looking like they got owned in that trade might scare off a team from making the same mistake.
1st thing that needs to happen: The Sabres need to want to move Roy

2nd thing that needs to happen: They need to find a team that values (or is that overvalues) Roy

I think the odds of the 2nd thing happening are much greater than the 1st.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:36 PM
BuffaloSabskis

Trade Roy/Stafford or both for picks. Then use picks and a prospect to trade for a Center from a team looking to rebuild. Anything like that I would love. I would put MAG and Sekera in there too.

BuffaloSabskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:39 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
1st thing that needs to happen: The Sabres need to want to move Roy

2nd thing that needs to happen: They need to find a team that values (or is that overvalues) Roy

I think the odds of the 2nd thing happening are much greater than the 1st.
The brutal truth.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:52 PM
5 Minute Major

I'd be on the line RIGHT NOW with Carolina and see if we could get a Stafford and Roy swap for Eric Staal.

All 3 parties involved could use a change of scenery and we would save a little bit of money in the process.

Boyes will be coming back and Kassian should not be going anywhere.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
I'd be on the line RIGHT NOW with Carolina and see if we could get a Stafford and Roy swap for Eric Staal.

All 3 parties involved could use a change of scenery and we would save a little bit of money in the process.

Would be great to get Ruutu included in a deal. We need what he brings on this team.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:57 PM
joshjull

Quote:

I want no part of Staal's deal. He's not worth it.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 09:59 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Would be great to get Ruutu included in a deal. We need what he brings on this team.
Actually, we would take on $250,000 in that trade. My mistake.

I'd still do it.

This team could use a player that has been there and done that before (being on a Cup winning team) and is still young and could help change the mentality of this team.

I'm sick and tired of watching what I have been.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:02 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I want no part of Staal's deal. He's not worth it.
Why isn't he?

Just my opinion, but he has played 6 full seasons, scored over 70 points in every one of those seasons (how's THAT for consistency?) and has a 100 point season when the Hurricanes won the Cup.

Yeah, I'd like to see him centering our first line. Sure would beat the heck out of Chewy, wouldn't it?

How does 43 points in 43 playoff games grab you?

Old
12-13-2011, 10:03 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Actually, we would take on $250,000 in that trade. My mistake.

I'd still do it.

This team could use a player that has been there and done that before (being on a Cup winning team) and is still young and could help change the mentality of this team.

I'm sick and tired of watching what I have been.
As am i.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:12 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Why isn't he?

Just my opinion, but he has played 6 full seasons, scored over 70 points in every one of those seasons (how's THAT for consistency?) and has a 100 point season when the Hurricanes won the Cup.

Yeah, I'd like to see him centering our first line. Sure would beat the heck out of Chewy, wouldn't it?

I'm well aware of his stats. But his cap hit is 8.25mil and he makes 8.5mil, 9.25mil, 9.25mil and then 9.5mil the next 4 years. He would have to be the final piece of the puzzle to take on that contract. Is that what you think he is?

Btw we can't hold a lead to save our life and he will do zero to improve that.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:13 PM
BuffaloSabskis

Quote:
Why isn't he?

At the start of the year I would not want the trade for Staal, but now I would be in. This core needs a shake up and Stafford and Roy have had problems with consistency since before this year.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:17 PM
sk8haggard9

With so much tied up in the wings, we can't afford an 8mil dollar center. We'd have to be shipping out considerable salary.

sk8haggard9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 10:24 PM
BuffaloSabskis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8haggard9 View Post
With so much tied up in the wings, we can't afford an 8mil dollar center. We'd have to be shipping out considerable salary.
If we traded Stafford and Roy we would be under the cap.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:26 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
I'm well aware of his stats. But his cap hit is 8.25mil and he makes 8.5mil, 9.25mil, 9.25mil and then 9.5mil the next 4 years. He would have to be the final piece of the puzzle to take on that contract. Is that what you think he is?

Btw we can't hold a lead to save our life and he will do zero to improve that.
The final piece of the puzzle? I don't know, would he be? Possibly.

All I know is that he has been a great offensive player over the years, has a Stanley Cup Championship to his name and has also been an absolute monster in the playoffs.

So, yeah, I think he would fit in nicely on a team looking to win right now and in the future.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:55 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Im seriously to the point where i just want a change. Give me something un expected. No im not talking about putting Vanek on waivers, but something that shows me that these guys arent okay with this crap. Something that shows me that they arent tossing in the towel for a while because we have some hurt players.

For the love of god, just show that you know that this team isnt what you (Darcy, Lindy, Terry and Ted) had hoped they were.

Old
12-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloSabskis View Post
If we traded Stafford and Roy we would be under the cap.
You'd need Vanek to go if you want Staal and his deal here. Vanek and Staal would tie up almost $16 million in cap space by themselves. That'd be the second highest two-player cap amount in the league. The only team with anything that high relegated to two players is Pittsburgh with Crosby and Malkin.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:08 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
You'd need Vanek to go if you want Staal and his deal here. Vanek and Staal would tie up almost $16 million in cap space by themselves. That'd be the second highest two-player cap amount in the league. The only team with anything that high relegated to two players is Pittsburgh with Crosby and Malkin.
No we wouldn't, it's manageable. Not ideal but you could definitely do it. You just need enough guys on ELC's to balance it out which we can do. Roy and Stafford is 8 million, if the extra guy to replace the 2 for 1 is someone on an ELC or a Matt Ellis type for 550k you're not even adding 1 million in salary. Bottom line is we can fit Staal in under the cap without trading Vanek.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:15 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
No we wouldn't, it's manageable. Not ideal but you could definitely do it. You just need enough guys on ELC's to balance it out which we can do. Roy and Stafford is 8 million, if the extra guy to replace the 2 for 1 is someone on an ELC or a Matt Ellis type for 550k you're not even adding 1 million in salary. Bottom line is we can fit Staal in under the cap without trading Vanek.
Fitting Staal in wouldn't be the problem. Its being able to put a winning team together with that much tied up in two guys like Vanek/Staal. They are hardly Crosby/Malkin.

Staal is also one dimensional offensive player and does nothing to fix our inability to lock things down and hold a lead.

Old
12-13-2011, 11:16 PM
5 Minute Major

At the same time, there are players that are expendable to free up cap space for the future.

I know Myers deal kicks in next season so we need to make a little space there. I'd look to move Sekera and Leopold. I have no problem with either of those player but I also have no problem with players like McNabb and Brennan being on the roster next season instead of them.

Boyes and Hecht are coming off the books. I wouldn't mind one of the two back at a reduced rate. I'd probably take Boyes if he was will to be a 2.5 to 3 million per year player.

Those 4 players I mentioned (Sekera, Leopold, Boyes and Hecht) are 13 million plus off the books. Add in Myers new deal and we are still 9 million up with really only two spots to fill (Boyes and Hecht)

I don't think it would matter having the money tied up in Vanek and Staal. Those guys have a long history of producing big numbers.

We just have to stay away from givng the unproven Ville Leino's of the world long term deals at a salary that is not worth that players production.

Old
12-13-2011, 11:18 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Fitting Staal in wouldn't be the problem. Its being able to put a winning team together with that much tied up in two guys like Vanek/Staal. They are hardly Crosby/Malkin.

Staal is also one dimensional offensive player and does nothing to fix our inability to lock things down and hold a lead.
Oh I'm not saying we should do it, I'm just pointing out that it's possible.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote