HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Visors/Cages/Fishbowls/Nothing

Old
01-05-2014, 08:26 AM
rokkinman139

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by manictech View Post
I wear half shield half cage, the fishbowl, for me I've always really worried about my teeth. My mom didn't want me to take my cage off after I turned 18 because she paid for my braces as a kid, she thinks she owns my teeth. Ha. It's never bothered me but I got a new helmet recently that didn't come with a cage and I've been thinking of leaving it off. On a side note once I saw someone wearing a fish bowl but didn't have the shield in place. I guess they didn't worry about their eyes just their teeth.
He could have hurt his jaw. A lot of pros do that

rokkinman139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'll second the Bauer Re-Akt being super light, have one on my helmet.

Also, I much prefer wearing a cage and no mouthguard over having a visor and a mouthguard.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 12:38 PM
MattGTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'll second the Bauer Re-Akt being super light, have one on my helmet.

Also, I much prefer wearing a cage and no mouthguard over having a visor and a mouthguard.
This. The Bauer Re-Akt is extremely light and pretty darn comfortable. Mouthguards make me gag after awhile, so I avoid them at all cost.

I've tried both, and I won't play without a cage anymore. All it takes is a split second, and it doesn't even have to be anyones fault, and you could be out of commission for awhile over something that could have been easily avoided.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:06 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I honestly think a big part of it is peer pressure, even as adults. A lot of guys I know seem to switch after they move up 1-2 levels.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 03:56 AM
American in Paris

Would never play without a cage again. I've taken enough sticks, pucks and skates to the cage to know that a gruesome facial injury could happen at any time no matter the skill level or sportsmanship of the other players on the ice.

American in Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 09:16 PM
sunsoutgunsout
#redacted

vCash: 400
I used to play with nothing, then I took a slapper to the eyebrow two years ago. Just wearing a Bauer HDX (That's the name of them right? The ones CHL players have to wear) and haven't had any issues with pucks, a few high sticks, but that hasn't bothered me yet. Can't imagine playing with a bowl or cage on.

sunsoutgunsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 05:14 AM
Ducks Nation*

I also use bauer re-akt cage...love it...

if you guys need a mouth guard this is easily the most comfortable...
https://www.sisuguard.com/SISU-1-6-A...rd-p/s16-1.htm

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 12:10 PM
AwesomeMatthews

can anyone comment on the CCM V10 helmet? Apparently it's the most popular helmet in the NHL, but I don't think I really see it that often.

AwesomeMatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 12:25 PM
boo10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinology View Post
can anyone comment on the CCM V10 helmet? Apparently it's the most popular helmet in the NHL, but I don't think I really see it that often.
I tried one on in the store a while back and found it very comfortable. Other than that, can't really provide any feedback.

boo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 12:45 PM
Terry Yake

Quote:
one of my closest friends on my team wears one and says it's the most comfortable helmet he's ever worn, and you do see a lot of nhl'ers wearing it as well

although i'd still say the bauer 4500 is the most popular helmet in the NHL and has been for a long time now. i think it's still the most comfortable helmet

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 02:28 PM
AwesomeMatthews

thanks for the responses. The helmet is extremely comfortable so far, and it seems to provide more than decent protection. I always wear it with the stock cage that comes with it, and the sightlines are pretty good.

AwesomeMatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 07:47 PM
sunsoutgunsout
#redacted

vCash: 400
Quote:
Sure can, it's my current bucket. Insanely comfortable, fits great, great price in comparison to the ReAkt, Krown, and 20K in addition to being EASILY the nicest looking bucket out there. Can't recommend it enough.

sunsoutgunsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 07:57 PM
gswift

Just picked up a Bauer HLC to pair with my CCM V04 bucket, easy to install and is much lighter compared to the cage that came with it...

gswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2014, 02:35 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

I played all through the 80s and 90s with a full cage. Since 2004 I've been using a visor and I'll never go back to a cage. The Oakley visors are great - a long way from the older-gen visors. As for bucket, the Bauer line has always been my favorite. I'm currently using a 7500 and it's the best helmet I've ever had.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2014, 04:26 PM
Tacks92

Yeah good point about preferring a cage w/ no mouth guard to the visor + mouth guard. That's the camp I fall into. Plus, I don't know about you guys, but my dental insurance sucks ... if I lose a couple teeth I'm probably going to have to sit out a season just to pay for them.

Tacks92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2014, 11:17 PM
VaughanBender72
The Pain Is Coming

vCash: 1319
I'm Still playing minor hockey but was just wondering if they sell thoose jaw protectors for retail. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-pnn9Y5msfr...+Helmet+42.jpg probably would get chirped but seems like a good idea.

VaughanBender72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2014, 12:14 AM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacks92 View Post
Yeah good point about preferring a cage w/ no mouth guard to the visor + mouth guard. That's the camp I fall into. Plus, I don't know about you guys, but my dental insurance sucks ... if I lose a couple teeth I'm probably going to have to sit out a season just to pay for them.
Yes, a mouth guard is a must with a visor.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2014, 03:12 AM
Goonzilla
Welcome to my house!

Never could play with a cage or full shield which drive me nuts, but wear a visor; and never step out without a mouthguard. I still don't like the visor and was playing some pick up without it, but am playing games with it and it's too much effort to put it on and take it off.

Games proper there are a few more sticks sailing up high. Pick up has more skill, less aggro and less clumsiness with the sticks, but a little more mustard on the puck and a lot more deflections zinging about.

Don't mind losing a bit of china, but not so keen on being minus an eye. They can't fix those as easily.

Goonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2014, 10:23 AM
LarryO

There seems to be a big misconception that wearing a mouthguard is very effective at preventing broken teeth. Don't delude yourselves.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2014, 08:55 PM
ekm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
There seems to be a big misconception that wearing a mouthguard is very effective at preventing broken teeth. Don't delude yourselves.
Yup, mouthguard is more for preventing concussions than it is for protecting your teeth from being knocked out. Granted it will give you a little more protection, but thats not its sole purpose.

ekm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2014, 09:29 PM
snizzbone*
ignore listed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekm01 View Post
Yup, mouthguard is more for preventing concussions than it is for protecting your teeth from being knocked out. Granted it will give you a little more protection, but thats not its sole purpose.
So you don't bite your tongue as well. Don't think any mouth guard is going to prevent a concussion much.

I use a cage with no mouth guard. Considering a switch to a visor with a mouth guard, but my only actual reasoning for that is because visors look cooler .

snizzbone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2014, 12:03 AM
CaptBrannigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzbone View Post
So you don't bite your tongue as well. Don't think any mouth guard is going to prevent a concussion much.

I use a cage with no mouth guard. Considering a switch to a visor with a mouth guard, but my only actual reasoning for that is because visors look cooler .
A properly fitted and properly worn mouth guard can reduce the impact energy that transfers up the jaw. Like most gear a proper fit is necessary for the best protection.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2014, 03:59 AM
Sitka

I don't wear anything for my rec league team, but my competitive team that follows IIHF rules has mandatory half-cages for everyone born after 1970.

Sitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2014, 06:14 AM
WickedWinger

Well I just ordered an Avision pro x visor. The reviews I read said it was every bit as good as the Bauer and Oakley visors, at a fraction of the price so we'll see.

I'm coming over from a Bauer hybrid mask and before that a cage. I had a different problem with the cages though. I found that when I wore a cage my eye's watered like crazy. I don't know if it was just the cool air hitting them or what, but I was constantly having to wipe my eye's. The hybrid wasn't bad because it had the visor up top, but that thing weighs a ton and always felt kind of awkward to wear. Hopefully I have found a nice middle ground of comfort and safety with the visor.

WickedWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2014, 12:36 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Cage. No way am I going to trust anyone in beer leagues not to hit me up high with the stick for my entire career.

Got the CCM 580 and it gives me plenty of vision for me not to worry about switching over to a visor.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote