HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Visors/Cages/Fishbowls/Nothing

Old
01-24-2012, 12:11 AM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

vCash: 500
Cage was mandated for high school and college hockey, so I wore one my entire competitive career. Now that I play men's league I wear a small visor.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:25 AM
Torquenstein

Going back and forth between visor and nothing.

Torquenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 09:04 PM
TannerGlass

I rock the least protection I can in every piece of my equipment.

No visor, no cage, no mouthguard with a 4500 helmet, which is basically a shell and some mediocre padding. I'm confident enough with my abilities that I can avoid most greasy situations, but if I do get tagged, I know full well that it could have been prevented.

TannerGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Aftcomet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerGlass View Post

No visor, no cage, no mouthguard with a 4500 helmet, which is basically a shell and some mediocre padding. I'm confident enough with my abilities that I can avoid most greasy situations, but if I do get tagged, I know full well that it could have been prevented.
Yeah but why risk it? I'm sure extra protection won't hinder you that much or ruin your abilities to unplayable levels. Unless you get paid to play, if you're 10% worse because of a cage, who cares? It might save some serious damage.

Sorry but that's just plain stupid. Safety first.

One guy in my friend's beer league lost an eye. He got paid $400,000 in insurance but AN EYE.

Aftcomet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftcomet View Post
Yeah but why risk it? I'm sure extra protection won't hinder you that much or ruin your abilities to unplayable levels. Unless you get paid to play, if you're 10% worse because of a cage, who cares? It might save some serious damage.

One guy in my friend's beer league lost an eye. He got paid $400,000 in insurance but AN EYE.
Considering that type of money, it might not be "so bad". For most people that's beyond life-changing money. By contrast, losing sight in one eye isn't quite so. I know a few people who have lost sight in one eye and say that before long they don't even notice the change in peripheral vision or anything else. Life as usual. It sure beats losing a limb or appendage as long as we're talking about one eye and not full vision.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:32 AM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

I use a birdcage and I would never consider taking it off. I can't tell you how many times I've been highsticked because people are careless in house leagues.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:08 AM
MNWild9

I used to wear a Visor until some assh*le decide to high stick me if front of the net. I was out a the rest of the season since then I went back to a cage. I'm normally the guy that just goes for goals and respects everyone else around me. I hate the guys that think their badass on skates and injure a lot of people. There a few guys that have been band from the league for injuring players one even injured one of the goalies in the playoffs.

MNWild9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:24 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Cage. I've played open hockey with just a helmet on though.

I trash talk every single player that I play that wears a fishbowl.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 12:24 AM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Personally speaking I chose the "safe road" in terms of head protection which is it looks a bit goofy since I'm 6.3 but it makes me that much more confident blocking shots without risking an injury.

I don't get paid to play hockey (have to pay TO play it), so in terms of my head its safety first. My second helmet has only a visor haven't used it for a long time cause I don't feel confident with it.

400.000 may be a lot of money but no way worth losing an eye and therefore downgraded health for the rest of your life, not even speaking about never playing hockey again.

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 01:25 AM
stupendousman

Back when I was a kid, I thought fishbowls were so cool.

Now I rock the Bauer visor that Team Canada WJC wears.

stupendousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:43 AM
Aftcomet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Considering that type of money, it might not be "so bad". For most people that's beyond life-changing money. By contrast, losing sight in one eye isn't quite so. I know a few people who have lost sight in one eye and say that before long they don't even notice the change in peripheral vision or anything else. Life as usual. It sure beats losing a limb or appendage as long as we're talking about one eye and not full vision.
Are you kidding me? Why don't you cover one eye and see how it is. If you don't mind why don't you go sell it? I'm sure you could get a lot for it.

I can't believe what I'm reading. Honestly.

Aftcomet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 09:11 AM
Ozz

Quote:
Are you kidding me? Why don't you cover one eye and see how it is. If you don't mind why don't you go sell it? I'm sure you could get a lot for it.

I can't believe what I'm reading. Honestly.
I didn't say it sounds like a good money-making idea and we should go around selling an eye because we don't need it. I said the $400K would help stop one's tears rather quickly if you were to lose one and before you long you'd not even notice the difference. The body adapts, that's what it does. If people who lose limbs and the ability to do half the things in life they're accustomed to frequently end up not even noticing the lost limb any longer, I'd imagine the loss of a small outside percentage of one's visual field is a little easier to cope with. No wonder you don't believe what you're reading, you're making it up in your own mind as you go along.

As it happens I had LASIK done last week. One of my eyes was blurry afterward and was itchy when left open. For most the day I kept it shut to save myself a headache and the loss of peripheral vision was barely noticed. So there's that as far as "Why don't you cover one eye and see how it is" is concerned.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 10:37 AM
Pog Form

Quote:

Same here, exact same setup, up until this year. A couple of the leagues I joined require facial protection so I put on a half-visor. The other night some guy got me with his stick on his follow-through, just clipping the bottom of my visor but mostly hitting my face. Got a nice scrape on my upper lip beside my nose and up my cheek but I didn't get a shiner or any damage to my teeth so I guess I'm pretty lucky.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:25 AM
TannerGlass

Quote:

I don't know, I'm an idiot and I'm proud of it. I play some pretty serious hockey so I have had some close calls etc, but I feel comfortable. Comfort>Safety for me. Way nicer setup for chirping/dropping the mitts. Nothing interfering with me etc, I'm ready to go.

I'm the kind of idiot that breaks his collarbone, finishes his shift and plays another one just to make sure its broken.

TannerGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 07:57 PM
dwreckm

I wear a full cage. I'm not a great player, and I've taken a few pucks to the head area, but quite honestly, I'm more worried about my own inability to protect myself then the ability of the other players to keep the play clean. A few of the guys I play with wear full cages too, some visors, some nothing at all, and I don't really care what someone does, it's their choice and their teeth.

dwreckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:15 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
I don't know, I'm an idiot and I'm proud of it. I play some pretty serious hockey so I have had some close calls etc, but I feel comfortable. Comfort>Safety for me. Way nicer setup for chirping/dropping the mitts. Nothing interfering with me etc, I'm ready to go.

I'm the kind of idiot that breaks his collarbone, finishes his shift and plays another one just to make sure its broken.
You're not an idiot because you know full well the risks and decide against the protection, more power to you. You're decision.

The idiots are the ones who take an accidental high stick to the chops and goes after the guy who made the mistake.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Tuff Gong

Send a message via MSN to Tuff Gong
I wore a cage all my minor hockey, and not much will male me go back, knock on wood. Ive wore no face protection for years with out any incidents playing in a competitive beer league, the kind of league maybe 5% of the players wear a cage. Ive taken a few high sticks, leaked a few times but im no worse for wear.
Mind you most games i dont wear shoulder pads, only elbow pads, so i guess id take the comfort over the safety any day, especially with guys who are all vulnerable so there is a lot more stick control.

Last edited by Tuff Gong: 02-03-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Tuff Gong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:56 PM
BHDefensiveForward

I wear a full cage because I'm 5ft 6", and normally play aggressive on the forecheck. I've had my share of high sticks, and elbows to the face. When I'm on the defensive, if I sneak behind or on the side of a player before he shoots, I've been wacked right in the face on wind up and follow throughs.

Rather keep my teeth, and face intact!

BHDefensiveForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 05:43 AM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
i wear a visor since i scratched the lense and damaged the nerves on my left eye, so gotta keep my right eye intact...

cages are too distracting for me, full visors are hard to breathe in, and it's difficult if i want to scratch my nose or wipe some sweat... i guess that's how i lost 11 teeth, never bothered to fix them though... dentists are thieves!

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Comeback40

I can see wearing what you did at the highest level you attained before beer leagues, which is why more guys in the States wear cages (doesn't seem to hamper the game of NCAA players). In the few games I've watched and played in since I started back playing again since high school in '90, I'd say about 70% wear cages, I'm in Massachusetts. I'll admit I thought about not wearing a cage for a minute, but come on,if you can say your reason for not wearing one isn't mostly because now you can finally look like your pro heroes, well that's a little ridiculous. Congrats, you look cooler than me, but you're a 35 year old C leaguer who has to work in 9 hours, playing at 10 on a Tuesday night, nobody is watching, guys can't even get there wives and girlfriends to watch. The second shift of my first game, I was pursuing the puck towards the boards, and the D man blindly attempted a backhand clear, puck dented a bar in the lower third of my cage, definitely would have been an E.R. visit and or dental procedure, and the very least, would have missed hockey time after paying a lot for equipment and league fees.

Comeback40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:52 PM
pshort

What it really comes down to is what you are comfortable in. I would first try a cage. Play a season and then make a decision if you want to keep it or go with something a bit different. You'll know exactly what you want in face protection pretty quickly.

pshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:18 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
It's bad. Because then you don't have a spare anymore.

My son is legally blind. He can't see much of anything out of one eye. His other eye is very, very nearsighted. He isn't allowed to do any sort of contact sports, because if he were to get hit and that retina detaches, he'll probably be completely blind. He has no idea what 'normal' vision is because for him, 'normal' means not being able to read unless you either use a magnifier/monitor, or hold the book up against your eyelashes. Normal means that you'll never be able to drive, and that if you want to see the menu at McDonald's, you have to ask someone to read it to you. Normal is standing directly in front of the 52" tv because otherwise you can't see it. But even with that limited vision, losing it completely would be a HECK of a big loss for him.

My 13-year old daughter has cataracts in both eyes. Actually, she HAD them in both eyes, but had surgery to fix one eye last January. In March, that retina detached. They reattached it, but it detached again in September. We're hoping it stays attached, but she's not allowed to take any risks at all. No bicycling, horseback riding, skating, not even running. The impact of simply RUNNING could cause her retina to detach. So now we're keeping her fingers crossed that the cataract in the second eye is slow-growing enough that she doesn't need surgery for a good long time.

So yeah, you can always take risks and think "hey, I've got a spare eye, and $400K is decent money." Except once that spare eye is gone, your life changes a lot. You can't afford to take risks any more. And that pretty much sucks. My son would love to play basketball...or football...or hockey. But he can't, because he doesn't have any more extra eyes. And my daughter would love to be able to participate in PE, but she can't - so she sits in the library or just walks around the track while her friends have fun learning how to play a sport. If you lose your eyesight, it's not always a matter of just learning to adjust to it. It could be a whole lot worse. If you play hockey regularly, I'm assuming you enjoy being active. It would really suck to not only not be able to play hockey, but also have to give up pretty much every other sport that could possibly cause damage to your remaining eye.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 10:40 PM
thedonger

two instances from last night's game cemented my belief that i need to stay with the cage(haven't ever worn anything else, but have been tempted with visors when i picked the game up again after a 10+ year layoff).
first instance was when i was playing center(normally a winger), and was shadowing a player on the opposing team in our defensive zone. we cut across the low slot and at the same time we came across, one of my d-men was lifting the stick of an opposing player in the crease when the toe of the blade of his stick caught me square in the middle of the cage. he was horrified at the time, but shook it off real quick(with a sore jaw) and kept truckin' on. had that only been a visor, i'm sure i would've ended up with some sort of combination of stitches, dental work, broken nose or gouged eye.
second instance i was sitting on the bench talking strategy with one of my wingers and slam, puck hits me in the face(believe it or not, this isn't the first time it's happened to me in this fashion, but it is the first time where i actually didn't even see it coming).
needless to say, the cage is never coming off as long as i play.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:43 PM
vapor11

I dont trust the other players enough to not wear a full cage..

About a month ago I was strong on the forecheck and the defense turned around to fire it off the boards and hit me with his stick on the follow thru right around the mouth..Had I been wearing a visor or no protection it would have been a messy scene

Around a week later I was going to receive a hard pass and another player deflected it on the way and it went right into my cage..All I heard was a big ding sound..

No big deal because of my cage..kept skating..any thoughts I had of switching to visor because most of the guys I play with use one or no protection have been erased..not worth it..I hate the dentist

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:29 AM
sully61
Unregistered User

Well I used a visor until tonight's game where i took a shot to the mouth. 7 stitches and two teeth angled inward so I'll need to get tthat fixed tomorrow. Cage for the rest of my life

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote