HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Visors/Cages/Fishbowls/Nothing

Old
03-14-2012, 01:45 AM
neksys

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
Well I used a visor until tonight's game where i took a shot to the mouth. 7 stitches and two teeth angled inward so I'll need to get tthat fixed tomorrow. Cage for the rest of my life
Perfect example. I like my teeth a lot. I don't want to lose any. Plus I can't really afford time off work to get my stitches removed.

If you're the best player on your team without a cage, you're still the best with the cage.

The risk to my face isn't worth the tiny impact on my vision. If you can't track the puck through a cage, you have bigger problems.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 10:11 AM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

I play with a half visor.....So much better without it though

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 11:03 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
Perfect example. I like my teeth a lot. I don't want to lose any. Plus I can't really afford time off work to get my stitches removed.

If you're the best player on your team without a cage, you're still the best with the cage.

The risk to my face isn't worth the tiny impact on my vision. If you can't track the puck through a cage, you have bigger problems.
I'm going to start playing out a bit just to change it up and the first stop at the store yesterday was the helmet section and picked one out with a cage. For one, I'm not willing to risk a stray puck or stick to my face. For another, since I'm used to wearing a mask in goal it won't be much different than what I'm looking through now.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 12:02 PM
nightfighter

I started off playing with a full cage because the first league I was in required full face coverage. Been wearing it ever since, and the amount of times I've been smacked in the face by errant sticks, I'm very thankful that I have it on.

Plus I wear glasses normally and while I can play without them, having the option of keeping glasses on behind the cage is nice since I can't stand contact lenses

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 06:16 PM
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
I started off playing with a full cage because the first league I was in required full face coverage. Been wearing it ever since, and the amount of times I've been smacked in the face by errant sticks, I'm very thankful that I have it on.

Plus I wear glasses normally and while I can play without them, having the option of keeping glasses on behind the cage is nice since I can't stand contact lenses
Don't your glasses steam up on you? If not, are you doing anything special or just lucky?

Old
03-14-2012, 06:47 PM
ArrogantOwl

Now that I've had baby teeth pulled and painful braces in, I'm going to never take off a cage... have lost enough teeth already...

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2012, 08:37 PM
nightfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
Don't your glasses steam up on you? If not, are you doing anything special or just lucky?
I have these crappy pair of glasses that have a thin frame and pretty small oval lenses (not spectacles small but smaller than the trend out these days) which I use exclusively for hockey. I look like a nerd but they sit closer to my face, don't shift around and I think that helps with the fogging. I still get a little bit around the outer edges but as soon as I step onto the ice and start moving the fog clears right up.

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:43 AM
heusy_79
! kool uoy edam

I wore a cage all the way up and wear a visor to ref obviously ( Itech visor on a CCM V10), but when I play recreationally or coach in practice I just wear an open face Bauer 5000. For some reason whenever I've put the visor on to play I've found it makes it difficult to see around my feet properly. I recently sustained a pretty bad broken nose from a puck (3rd one, most painful/gross looking one yet) and haven't played since. Will likely continue to go open face in practice, but I'll definitely need to consider throwing the cage back on to play. Can't keep letting pucks and sticks mess the with moneymaker.

Post #900 !

heusy_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 09:11 AM
ICM1970

I play adult pick up hockey and wear a Jofa 235 (Gretzky style) and a mouthgard.

ICM1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 07:41 PM
fish7

vCash: 50
I recently put a shield on due to a nose injury a and the puck has been going in the net for me often so I just might keep it. I stopped wearing a full shield as soon as started playing in the adult leagues and I always felt that I was much more aware open face. Unfortunately the last time I got hurt I was totally aware that I might take a stick to make the play in front of the net.

I always hated the birdcage masks. it is hard to believe that when I first started playing kids did not have to wear masks, only an exterior mouth piece. I first wore one of those Pro-tec cages that had the big eye holes. Then I had a cooper mask that was part shield and part wires and then I had to wear the birdcage until I-techs came out when I was in college. My favorite mask was an I-tech that was a mix visor and wire

fish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:51 PM
WestCoastWild

As soon as I was old enough I wore a visor, Wore one in Juniors and then in college had to wear a cage. The cage however unstrapped during a game and came back and cracked my 3 front teeth prompting me to have them removed.

Since I don't have anything to worry about I've always worn a visor and if I got hit in the mouth (which has been over 10 times) i've gotten through the injuries (busted lips, chipped teeth, etc) but recently I took another high stick to the mouth and chipped another front tooth, busted my bottom lip open inside and outside, I've given in and put the cage on for good, Since I'm going to getting implant teeth for my front and going to get over 5K of work done, I should keep my face protected.

The way I play has made me open for high sticks, hooks to the mouth, and overall punches/pucks/elbows it just makes it easy for opponents to get me with stick work, I sincerely HATE cages but if I wanna keep my gf and keep the dental bills from racking higher up, its a must need now.

WestCoastWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Fanned On It

Dangers of the Visor

Last week during a men's league game, my cousin (really talented hockey player) took a stick blade up underneath his visor... from his own team mate. He was in front of the net trying to get the puck and someone ATTEMPTED to stick lift someone else on the other team, missed, and caught my cousin right in the eye. He hit him on that upper crease of the eye-lid, that part that outlines your eyeball on top and completely ripped it open. Luckily, his actual eye-ball was fine and he just had to get stitches and whatnot, but it could've been WAY worse. 2 inches down and his eye-ball would've taken some SERIOUS damage.

Now the kicker of this situation is that last year my SAME cousin was wearing a half shield and took a butt end of someone's stick to his mouth and lost his two front teeth. Blood everywhere, he was left with two stubs as his front teeth. Nowadays he's got chicklets in there. You'd think he would've learned from the first incident lol.

I'm not trying to preach that people shouldn't wear half shields or whatever, I'm just outlining the danger of doing so which I'm sure you all are already aware of. Just ask yourself if it's really worth it to take the risk at losing teeth, an eye, or some other serious damage being done all for a beer league game. The way I look at is I'm not getting payed to play so I'm not taking those risks.

It was a pretty scary sight last week so I just felt like posting about it. Careful out there boys.

Fanned On It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 05:19 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Generally people don't start wearing full face protection until it's too late. Either that or they witness something really grotesque.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Thepandamancan

This is why I wear the fishbowl...best of both worlds really

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:22 PM
neksys

I hate my cage. I lose the puck in my feet sometimes, its uncomfortable and I hate having the chinpad against my face all game long.

That said, I would never get rid of it. I like that I am a slightly better player when I don't have a cage or fishbowl on, but effing LOVE my teeth and my eyes. Its a no brainer.

Old
03-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Ozz

Years ago we had to wear full protection unless you were of a certain age. So of course as soon as I turned that age I got a visor. I think it was my first game that I got clipped in the same way mentioned in the OP, got (I think) 5 stitches above my right eye. I was racing someone to the corner and he decided to swing his stick like a madman. Can't believe he hit me like he did.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Grave77digger

I stopped using my shield because im to lazy to buy a new one. Im fairly accident prone. My visor did break my nose once from a shoulder to my cheek. That said I already lost my front teeth so I doubt I can lose many more...

Grave77digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:36 AM
Fanned On It

Yeah, uness you're in the NHL where they will pay for your reconstructive surgery if you need it, it aint worth it lol. Even then, those guys are nuts, wearing a visor or nothing most of the time... I wonder if anyone has ever actually lost an eye in the NHL... anyone?

Fanned On It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:59 AM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
Yeah, uness you're in the NHL where they will pay for your reconstructive surgery if you need it, it aint worth it lol. Even then, those guys are nuts, wearing a visor or nothing most of the time... I wonder if anyone has ever actually lost an eye in the NHL... anyone?
Bryan Berard, Ryan Smyth's brother Kevin lost vision permanently.

Manny Malhotra now wears a visor due to injury last season. Ethan Moreau, Danny Heatly also wear visors and have permanently dilated pupils.

I will say that though there might be some risk of a visor, better to visor than nothing. I've had a number of sticks thankfully scratch my visor instead of my retina.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 05:09 AM
Propane Nightmares
Sinister Rouge

We enforce the rule where your visor has to come down to the tip of your nose. I was lining a semi-pro game and the ref told a player to put his visor on properly, then on the next shift the same player takes a puck to the face and it hit his visor, so he comes over to the ref and says "If I hadn't listened to you I would have a broken nose"

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 05:52 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Bryan Berard, Ryan Smyth's brother Kevin lost vision permanently.

Manny Malhotra now wears a visor due to injury last season. Ethan Moreau, Danny Heatly also wear visors and have permanently dilated pupils.

I will say that though there might be some risk of a visor, better to visor than nothing. I've had a number of sticks thankfully scratch my visor instead of my retina.
Bryan Berard's injury was from a car accident...

I've been wearing a visor for public hockey sessions. When I join up with a league I'm probably going to put my cage back on.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 06:51 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
Bryan Berard's injury was from a car accident...
nope, he was hit in the eye by Marian Hossa's stick.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...9013/index.htm

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 06:53 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post

You definitely don't want a scratch on your eye! My son has scratched his cornea twice and it was very, very painful until it healed. And retinal issues are no fun either, my daughter's detached twice last year. It's a surgery followed by a lot of looking down, followed by oodles and oodles of doctor appointments. And that's if you're lucky and they're able to reattach it.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 08:04 AM
shoeshine boy

there's a woman who plays in our (essentially) beginner league who not only wears a visor but wears it tipped back so it's not covering anything really. I'm 100% sure she does this because her boyfriend who's an experienced player does the same thing. it's only a matter of time before she gets a puck or stick in the eye. I don't wish injury on anyone but I hope I'm there to say a big "told ya so!" when it does happen.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 08:09 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
nope, he was hit in the eye by Marian Hossa's stick.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...9013/index.htm
WTF, where did I come up with the car accident thing?

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote