HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

If not Ruff, who?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-31-2013, 12:50 AM
  #1
Wisent42
Registered User
 
Wisent42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Södertälje
Country: Sweden
Posts: 655
vCash: 500
If not Ruff, who?

Ruff being fired doesn't seem likely, but what if he, for example, died under suspicious surcumstances, who would you like as head coach? Who's available? Would you want someone brought in or brought up? Would you go with a veteran or find a young coach that's up to the task of a 16 year stint?

I don't have an agenda. I'm neither pro or con Ruff. I mean, the guy pisses me off sometimes and I do feel that if we want to change directions it starts with the coach, but I'm not fully aboard the bandwagon yet. I'm interested to hear what people think is an alternative to Ruff. Because it seems to me there's a lot of "fire Ruff" going on, like that alone is a solution, without presenting an alternative. In my view, firing a coach is not a solution. Presenting a new coach is. Unless of course the coach is so useless that no coach is actually better.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:22 AM
  #2
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 26,456
vCash: 500
Gimme an upstart like a Boughner, Roy, Eakins...

David Quinn?? Pascal Vincent??

Don't give me a retread.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:47 AM
  #3
Shoey
Hello.
 
Shoey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 440
vCash: 500
anyone.

give Kevyn Adams a shot maybe.

Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:48 AM
  #4
sba
....
 
sba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Davis, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,051
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent42 View Post
Ruff being fired doesn't seem likely, but what if he, for example, died under suspicious surcumstances.
jame, they're onto us

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Gimme an upstart like a Boughner, Roy, Eakins...
I'm fine with any of those 3, a little hesitant on Boughner because it's another "Buffalo" guy. Just a stigma thing.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:29 AM
  #5
jayintro86
Registered User
 
jayintro86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cheektowaga
Country: United States
Posts: 240
vCash: 500
There are starting to be whispers about Dan Bylsma's seat getting warm but I don't know if he would be interested. (whispers according to Jeff Marek of Sportsnet)

jayintro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:19 AM
  #6
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 7,977
vCash: 500
Dallas Eakins

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:54 AM
  #7
SabresFanNorthPortFL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Port, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,692
vCash: 500
Anyone who gets the players to play at 110%. I'm sick of half-ass, lack luster, loafers. I would like to see feet moving, not gliding. I guess I'm still po'd at Leopold for half-assing the play in OT, he should of pasted him into the boards, and I see that as a reflection of Ruff, that his message is over

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:42 AM
  #8
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner
 
Tim Murray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 3,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Dallas Eakins
That would be my choice also.

Tim Murray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:42 AM
  #9
HiddenInLight
Registered User
 
HiddenInLight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
jame, they're onto us



I'm fine with any of those 3, a little hesitant on Boughner because it's another "Buffalo" guy. Just a stigma thing.

Just make sure you get the warrenty on your ACME build your own rocket kit, and make sure the anvil doesn't hit you instead of RoadRuffer.




TBH I really want to like ruff and defend him, but there simply isn't anything left to defend. At all. He's done nothing but make bonehead decisions all year. The only thing he's gotten right was keeping grigorenko up, and then I'm not sure that was him and not darcy.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:44 AM
  #10
Sabreality
Registered User
 
Sabreality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Dallas Eakins
ding ding ding

Sabreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:47 AM
  #11
stokes84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 6,134
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Ted Nolan

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:23 AM
  #12
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,367
vCash: 500
Me.

Seriously. Get a new guy in. The talk of upstarts might be right. Ruff has no influence on these guys. No bearing. We need fire. Someone who isn't stone faced and careless

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:29 AM
  #13
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!
 
BuiltTagonTough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 10,438
vCash: 500
What's Bill Cowher up to?

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:37 AM
  #14
sabregoat
Registered User
 
sabregoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 964
vCash: 500
Scott Arneil

sabregoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:44 AM
  #15
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Dallas Eakins
I say yes just because he married her





I also wouldn't mind hiring Willie Desjardins because he's from Climax, Saskatchewan.


Last edited by WhoIsJimBob: 01-31-2013 at 08:51 AM.
WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:46 AM
  #16
JPurp26
Registered User
 
JPurp26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,124
vCash: 500
Dallas Eakins - highly respected and motivational. Well respected by his teams and is doing a great job. Also with Toronto hiring Carlyle, he could be had as he wants to advance to the NHL. Learned under the great Roger Neilson.

Mike Keenan - highly disciplined, won a cup, been in the system before as he won a championship in Rochester. Pushes his players to the limit

Guy Carbonneau - Coached Montreal, great defensive forward for the Habs. Currently the president of Chicoutimi in the Q.

Marc Crawford - former Jack Adams winner, won a cup with the AVS.

John Stevens - LA assistant, former head coach in Philly, won a Calder in the AHL

Ron Wilson - successful in Washington and SJ but was most recently with Toronto

Scott Arniel - Brought CBJ to a playoff berth and coached in Columbus, was a former assistant here in Buffalo

John Anderson - Coached Atlanta and was successful while in the AHL with Chicago winning 4 Calder Cups. Currently an assistant in Phoneix to Dave Tippet

Jeff Daniels - Charlotte AHL coach, was an associate coach when the Hurricanes won the cup, has had success at the AHL level since 2008



Some ideas, Eakins looks like to be the logical choice

JPurp26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:05 AM
  #17
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,185
vCash: 500
Trust me, you don't want anything to do with Scott Arniel. He has been downright horrible with the Wolves (I'm a Canucks fan). We went from MacT coaching our affiliate last year to Arniel this year and the downgrade is immediately obvious.

FWIW, Jon Cooper is Tampa's affiliate coach and probably the best AHL coach out there. He has had a meteoric rise over the last 10 years.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:09 AM
  #18
Jame
Dream '16
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,426
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
There is only one guy on my radar right now, Jon Cooper in Norfolk

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:10 AM
  #19
Jame
Dream '16
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,426
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Trust me, you don't want anything to do with Scott Arniel. He has been downright horrible with the Wolves (I'm a Canucks fan). We went from MacT coaching our affiliate last year to Arniel this year and the downgrade is immediately obvious.

FWIW, Jon Cooper is Tampa's affiliate coach and probably the best AHL coach out there. He has had a meteoric rise over the last 10 years.
He's won at every level... He's going to be an NHL head coach in a few years for sure

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:12 AM
  #20
BUFSABES1981
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayintro86 View Post
There are starting to be whispers about Dan Bylsma's seat getting warm but I don't know if he would be interested. (whispers according to Jeff Marek of Sportsnet)
This guy is so overrated it isn't even funny. Anyone could do that job with that roster. He has really underachieved considering the star power on the Pens.

BUFSABES1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:15 AM
  #21
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"
 
TakeThatTootoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,418
vCash: 500
Put me on board for Cooper in the immediate future. Roy in 5 years.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:31 AM
  #22
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFSABES1981 View Post
This guy is so overrated it isn't even funny. Anyone could do that job with that roster. He has really underachieved considering the star power on the Pens.
That team isn't that good. His defense has been terrible since losing a second shutdown pairing in Gill-Scuderi and losing Goligoski. Even when Crosby/Malkin went down for half a year, he kept it together.

At the very least, I'd expect him to institute a comprehensive forecheck-based system, which is more than anything Lindy's done recently.

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:37 AM
  #23
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
Dallas Eakins - highly respected and motivational. Well respected by his teams and is doing a great job. Also with Toronto hiring Carlyle, he could be had as he wants to advance to the NHL. Learned under the great Roger Neilson.

Mike Keenan - highly disciplined, won a cup, been in the system before as he won a championship in Rochester. Pushes his players to the limit

Guy Carbonneau - Coached Montreal, great defensive forward for the Habs. Currently the president of Chicoutimi in the Q.

Marc Crawford - former Jack Adams winner, won a cup with the AVS.

John Stevens - LA assistant, former head coach in Philly, won a Calder in the AHL

Ron Wilson - successful in Washington and SJ but was most recently with Toronto

Scott Arniel - Brought CBJ to a playoff berth and coached in Columbus, was a former assistant here in Buffalo

John Anderson - Coached Atlanta and was successful while in the AHL with Chicago winning 4 Calder Cups. Currently an assistant in Phoneix to Dave Tippet

Jeff Daniels - Charlotte AHL coach, was an associate coach when the Hurricanes won the cup, has had success at the AHL level since 2008




Some ideas, Eakins looks like to be the logical choice
I would consider all those to be terrible choices, I really like Dallas Eakins

If you gonna bring in a new coach I want a guy who hasent been around the league, their are a couple AHL coaches I like.

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:50 AM
  #24
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,742
vCash: 500
John Anderson is a guy that I'd like the Sabres to roll the dice on.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:44 AM
  #25
oldgoalie
thanks Millsie
 
oldgoalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: go get your Cup
Country: United States
Posts: 5,718
vCash: 500
Stay away from Mike Keenan. Please, God, no.

oldgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.