HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Day Trade

Old
04-23-2015, 08:24 AM
McPhatty00

vCash: 500
Draft Day Trade

Not that the 2nd pick is going anywhere, unless Murray wants to throw away too much for McDavid, but I think the rest of the picks and some of our many prospects could be dealt. The system is at a huge position of wealth. A majority of these guys in the system and that will be picked won't make this team, ever. No team has more assets, right now and I feel like something large is brewing.

What do you guys think? I'd like to see him try and possibly nab one of the 1st round forwards from the Oilers. Hall, Eberle, or Nuge would be nice, but if he keeps Grigo, what about Yak? Small bridge contract, low risk. Getting a proven goalie somewhere would be nice.

The UFA class is, yuck. Maybe an RFA.

McPhatty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2015, 08:32 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by McPhatty00 View Post
Not that the 2nd pick is going anywhere, unless Murray wants to throw away too much for McDavid, but I think the rest of the picks and some of our many prospects could be dealt. The system is at a huge position of wealth. A majority of these guys in the system and that will be picked won't make this team, ever. No team has more assets, right now and I feel like something large is brewing.

What do you guys think? I'd like to see him try and possibly nab one of the 1st round forwards from the Oilers. Hall, Eberle, or Nuge would be nice, but if he keeps Grigo, what about Yak? Small bridge contract, low risk. Getting a proven goalie somewhere would be nice.

The UFA class is, yuck. Maybe an RFA.
If the Oilers trade one of their big forwards it's going to be for a defenseman that can be a big help immediately. We aren't really ideal trade partners for that.

Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2015, 08:37 AM
McPhatty00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxon View Post
If the Oilers trade one of their big forwards it's going to be for a defenseman that can be a big help immediately. We aren't really ideal trade partners for that.
Zads, Pysyk, even McCabe. I really want McCabe to stay, though. GMTM also has so many prospects that are close, but won't fit when they hit maturity. If he sends the other 1st, EDM could package that and their other 1st (PIT) for the ARI 3rd pick and snag Hanifin.

Old
04-23-2015, 08:42 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Zads, Pysyk, even McCabe. I really want McCabe to stay, though. GMTM also has so many prospects that are close, but won't fit when they hit maturity. If he sends the other 1st, EDM could package that and their other 1st (PIT) for the ARI 3rd pick and snag Hanifin.
I'm pretty sure they want someone who is a combination of more ready and better than those guys. Someone like Bogosian. Pysyk makes the most sense for them out of those three in my opinion but it's not like his value is enough to get any of those Edmonton forwards.

Old
04-23-2015, 08:49 AM
McPhatty00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxon View Post
I'm pretty sure they want someone who is a combination of more ready and better than those guys. Someone like Bogosian. Pysyk makes the most sense for them out of those three in my opinion but it's not like his value is enough to get any of those Edmonton forwards.
Obviously, not him alone. It would have to be a combination of players and picks. It also doesn't necessarily have to be Hall or Nuge. I'm ok with any of the 4 guys.

Old
04-23-2015, 08:52 AM
CreemoreSprings
lot 9

A Myers-EDM trade would have became a very real possibility. I think Murray prefers what Kane brings over the EDM options anyhow though. I see a Phaneuf trade happening to EDM.

CreemoreSprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2015, 09:38 AM
McPhatty00

I don't think Phaneuf gets any of them, 1-for-1. Toronto probably thinks it does.

Old
04-23-2015, 09:54 AM
Kruschiki

What are some of the rumors that are linked to buffalo other than ROR?

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2015, 10:26 AM
McPhatty00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruschiki View Post
No particular names consistently. Just ROR to BUF on draft day. I'm not sure he's worth what he'll cost in a trade or that GMTM really does need him.

Old
04-23-2015, 10:43 AM
Dogewow
Such Profile

Quote:
No particular names consistently. Just ROR to BUF on draft day. I'm not sure he's worth what he'll cost in a trade or that GMTM really does need him.
Hes definitely not worth it. Id love him on this Team but what it would take to get him (according to avs fans) plus his wild card contract situation = no bueno.

Dogewow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2015, 11:31 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruschiki View Post
Nothing specific. Just that we are perfectly situated to make moves with our cap space and abundance of assets. Plus Murray has repeatedly stated he plans on being a aggressive. That he has targets in mind and has already laid some groundwork with some teams.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2015, 11:37 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

I'd be somewhat surprised if Murray actually uses the second pick we have in the first round in the draft. That pick is prime trade bait.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2015, 11:42 AM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Wasn't 2015 considered a really really good draft? Like with first-round type talent well into the second? The projected future core isn't ready to contend this year. The system isn't busting with guys tearing up the AHL who need to progress. Why so desperate to unload picks in every single thread I see?

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2015, 11:45 AM
HeartforReinheart

vCash: 861
Who would you rather have Hall or Kane? It very much looks like Murray could of sent Myers to Edmonton now.

HeartforReinheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2015, 11:48 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartforReinheart View Post
Who would you rather have Hall or Kane? It very much looks like Murray could of sent Myers to Edmonton now.
I really doubt they trade Hall

Old
04-23-2015, 11:48 AM
Mattilaus

vCash: 123
Quote:
But we also got bogo back for Myers. I agree Myers could have been sent to Edmonton maybe but we shouldn't just disregard the rest of that deal. For what we paid, I prefer getting Bogo and Kane over Hall, and this is assume we even could have gotten Hall for the package offered.

Mattilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2015, 11:49 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
I don't think they would have been willing to part with Hall, though.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2015, 11:50 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
Wasn't 2015 considered a really really good draft? Like with first-round type talent well into the second? The projected future core isn't ready to contend this year. The system isn't busting with guys tearing up the AHL who need to progress. Why so desperate to unload picks in every single thread I see?
Because we have a ton of potential roster players in the system already. What we don't have is proven talent, so if Murray can start acquiring that with draft picks, he should.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2015, 11:50 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
Because it's what our GM wants to do. So it makes sense to put forth trade ideas with picks involved.

Last edited by joshjull: 04-23-2015 at 01:17 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2015, 11:59 AM
McPhatty00

Roch is going to get an influx next year. Remember, Buffalo was skating about 5-7 every night who should've been down there because everyone was shipped out. Guys like Compher, Baptiste, Bailey, Fasching, Rodriguez, and Hurley will be in Roch. Even Reinhart may start there. The system is loaded. We'll be short on roster spots, starting this coming year. GMTM has a ton of trade currency.

Old
04-23-2015, 12:05 PM
dotcommunism

There's absolutely no way that Hurley is in Rochester next year. Compher and Fasching are far from sure things, too

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2015, 12:05 PM
HeartforReinheart

vCash: 861
So who is out in Edmonton? You got to think a top 6 will get traded for a top 4 defender. They would be stupid not to try and upgrade their defense. Seems like draft day is a good spot.

If they dont upgrade it will be a repeat again.

Last edited by HeartforReinheart: 04-23-2015 at 12:17 PM.
HeartforReinheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2015, 12:12 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
So who is out in Edmonton? You got to think a top 6 will get traded for a top 4 defender. They would be stupid not to try and upgrade their defense. Seems like draft day is a good spot.
I would think Eberle. McDavid - RNH is a one two punch they shouldn't part with any time soon. Hall is the superior winger. I don't think Yak has enough value to bring back a top tier defender. A package with Eberle in it could bring back a good top pairing defender.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2015, 12:18 PM
BakedBuffalo
**** run 4 Chychrun

vCash: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
I would think Eberle. McDavid - RNH is a one two punch they shouldn't part with any time soon. Hall is the superior winger. I don't think Yak has enough value to bring back a top tier defender. A package with Eberle in it could bring back a good top pairing defender.
I agree with the bolded, but if RNH could be acquired for a reasonable price, I would love that. I'm a big fan of RNH. Though, I don't know it it makes sense for us considering what our center depth looks like now. Seems like another top-6 winger makes more sense.

BakedBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2015, 12:19 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Roch is going to get an influx next year. Remember, Buffalo was skating about 5-7 every night who should've been down there because everyone was shipped out. Guys like Compher, Baptiste, Bailey, Fasching, Rodriguez, and Hurley will be in Roch. Even Reinhart may start there. The system is loaded. We'll be short on roster spots, starting this coming year. GMTM has a ton of trade currency.
I don't think roster spots are as tight as they may seem, but even if they were, trading picks for established players would actually make it more squeezed in the short-term because those picks wouldn't be in Rochester for another two (CHLers) or more (NCAA/Euro) years anyhow. That's not to say we shouldn't do it, but a potential squeeze for spots isn't a reason to do it immediately. For me that's not a problem until we actually have no spots in Rochester to effectively develop all of the players who are ready/need to go pro.

For next season we're only looking at Baptiste, Bailey, and Rodrigues in Rochester out of the guys you listed. Fasching is a possibility but I'll believe it when it happens considering it still hasn't. All indications are that Rochester is going to be cleared out with many vets and failed prospects (Sundher, Jacobs, Leduc) going out. I know Jacobs has a year left but they can just buy him out if they need a contract spot. On top of that, Grigorenko, Larsson, and Pysyk will not be returning to Rochester. There's room in Rochester to continue to properly develop prospects adequately. Guys will make the team, get traded or fail, so more spots will be created in the future.

As loaded as our system may actually or appear to be, it's going to have to be reloaded every season if we want to have sustained success. That doesn't mean we can't trade picks, especially given that we have a surplus, but it doesn't mean we have to do it just out of concern of having too many prospects, because there will always be opportunities to move those assets. If there's actually a roster squeeze next season it's in Buffalo where there are currently limited openings and guys like Larsson and Grigorenko either need to be on the roster or be traded.