HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

why are we not ready to play?

Old
12-08-2011, 11:40 AM
JD1

vCash: 500
why are we not ready to play?

it seems to me taht we've been lit up a few times this year and it is game over by the 10 minute mark of the first period. The team is exciting to watch and I find if we come out of the first tied, we are in pretty good shape (last night aside)

But it seems to me that we are getting outplayed / outshot most nights in the first period.

Why is that happening?

McLean is obviously really big on conditioning and that is showing up in our 3rd periods, but we need to figure out how to get out of the gate quicker.

JD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Iamok
#Panic

It almost seems as if we don't try until we're down in the third, as if we need motivation to come out of our shell. That, and PM doesn't roll with the MM - Spezza - Alfie line until late in the third.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:53 AM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Young players are inconsistent. It will only get better as the season goes on. I'd be more worried about tailing off in the 3rd period as opposed to not starting out great.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:07 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
I don't think it is a question of why they are not ready to play. I think it has a lot to do with the staff and players trying to figure out what the other teans is doing, adjsuting and then excelling.

I think they have to figure out how to adapt quicker and I think it will come with experience. For instance, this is the 3rd game they have played against the Caps and each game the Caps have played a different style. So they are expecting a certain style and it is different. Again.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:34 PM
DrEasy
Get well soon, BM!

vCash: 840
I think it's partially due to a "I ain't even mad" strategy of letting our young guys play as much as possible, but if we're still trailing in the third, the coach tightens up the lines and goes to war with his big guns.

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 02:56 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Huh? This has happend what, 3-4 times this year? Is that really a greater number than most of the teams in the league?

The vast majority of games Ottawa has played this year have been very tight.

The team is already light years ahead of where they should be. This seems like a very petty complaint.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Leading the league in third period goals for? Totally unacceptable. The least I will accept is leading the league in first, second and third period goals for and even then I feel I am being generous.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:29 PM
bdp

I feel as though this thread would have been relevant 2 months ago.

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
It almost seems as if we don't try until we're down in the third, as if we need motivation to come out of our shell. That, and PM doesn't roll with the MM - Spezza - Alfie line until late in the third.
Actually he always puts them together right after a PK.

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 01:28 PM
JD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Huh? This has happend what, 3-4 times this year? Is that really a greater number than most of the teams in the league?

The vast majority of games Ottawa has played this year have been very tight.

The team is already light years ahead of where they should be. This seems like a very petty complaint.
yes. the team is ahead of where many thought they would be, myself included.

no, i think it is anything but petty. we've played 29 games and have 4 wins when leading after the first period. this league is a lot easier to play in when you have a leadand we are definitely nto coming out of the first with a lead as often as we need to be

JD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 02:11 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

To be fair we have come out of many first periods tied or with no goals scored (also tied) too. I think it's because of a combination of things, one that they are young & make mistakes, that our veterans make just as many mistakes with give aways & don't play a good puck possession game. Because of this our defence is constantly going back into their own zone to recover pucks dumped in after a turnover & sometimes they get caught or don't make a decision quick enough.

I also don't think that it's not just in the first period but throughout the game where they have problems but throughout the game, they just play with more urgency in the 3rd usually because they are behind. Hopefully as the season goes on they will improve & eliminate the turnovers & play a better sound defensive game, at least I hope so.

Last edited by aragorn: 12-10-2011 at 02:24 PM.
aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote